PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Boats

Moe_Havi
05-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I was out at Elsinore yesterday and I saw this cool looking boat by Cobra. It looked about 28 feet and it had a really trick winshied set up. Does anybody know this model or is the windshield just an add-on option? More hot boat manufacturers should make their boats with windshields. This one looked great!
Moe

BENZEEN
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Was it a deck boat? I believe they have a new 30 foot deck boat they will release this summer.

Bad Asp
05-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Was it a deep V like this? If so I haven't seen one with a windshield.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1654Cobra_270_Razor1.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
05-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Bad Asp
Was it a deep V like this? If so I haven't seen one with a windshield.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1654Cobra_270_Razor1.jpg
I think I saw this boat on the 60 West in Ontario a few weeks ago on a Friday behind a white Ford.

Bad Asp
05-27-2004, 12:22 PM
HD,
If it was about a month ago and it was behind a white Explorer then it was this one. The kids picked it up at Cobra for us and trailered it to LHC.

Essex502
05-27-2004, 12:30 PM
How about this:
http://www.cobraperformanceboats.com/280_python/280_python_art.jpg

Essex502
05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
You can go to Cobra Performance Boats (http://www.cobraperformanceboats.com/showroom.htm)

mbrown2
05-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
How about this:
http://www.cobraperformanceboats.com/280_python/280_python_art.jpg
Well, I have taken a bite from a Cobra Gel Coat, so I am not one too bitch, but that interior and walk though look alot like Trident...

Havasu_Dreamin
05-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Well, I have taken a bite from a Cobra Gel Coat, so I am not one too bitch, but that interior and walk though look alot like Trident...
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Hallett19
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
That is a total bite off the Trident, is that a serious sketch from cobra or is that a photochop ????? It looks identical from the seat design to the wrap around swim step :eek:

Froggystyle
05-27-2004, 02:42 PM
I would call it derivative at least...

Jetdriver
05-27-2004, 02:45 PM
You gonna get yours done before them Wes?

OGShocker
05-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey Wes, At least Jeff has a good sense of humor.
From the Python Page:
You've never seen a high performance air-entrapment deck boat designed like this!
So ergonomically advanced it will revolutionize the industry. Years ahead of the competition.
:rolleyes:

al cole'holic
05-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Hey Wes, At least Jeff has a good sense of humor.
From the Python Page:
You've never seen a high performance air-entrapment deck boat designed like this!
So ergonomically advanced it will revolutionize the industry. Years ahead of the competition.
:rolleyes:
:eek: :eek:

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Great....
Well, if he stepped on any patents, I will own that mold too...

78Eliminator
05-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Jesus Christ Wes!!!! That didn't take long. :(

HavasuDreamin'
05-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Dang...........if that isn't a splash, I don't know what is! :(

twistedpair
05-28-2004, 08:46 AM
What? Other that the interior, and the sundeck, and the walkaround, and the hull, and the overall concept..............................I see no resemblance whatsoever.:rolleyes:
Very disappointing.:(

Waldo
05-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Wes, do you have patents on certain hull designs such as that swim step/walk through design??? I have seen that before on other deck style boats.
Also, I am just curious as to how someone could copy a design if you are the only one that has that particular mold (patented or not)...or have you sold other companies the rights to your designs and/or technologies (in turn, maybe another company has spalshed from them)???
Thanks in advance for the insight!

BADAXE
05-28-2004, 09:03 AM
If you look at the details I think you'll agree that the boat looks completely different than the Trident. Now I'm not a fan of Cobra but the only thing I see that looks even a little bit like the trident is the seat cushions. The interior lay out is not the same, the engine cover is not even close, the deck lines and swim step don't look anything alike. I don't think Wes has anything to worry about. Matter of fact if anything the guy is ripping off the lines of the Ultra Stealth line up and John should be more pissed than Wes.
Just to be clear if I got a deck boat it would be the Trident hands down. And if I were going to get something that looked like an Ultra I'd get it from Ultra and not Cobra.

boatnam2
05-28-2004, 09:05 AM
ii was at cobra saturday( missb's nephew is looking at boats)and he wasnt to happy with anything in corona.while we where there a guy asked the salesman about the deck boat and he said that there is not even a plug for it yet.

boxscore
05-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Looks like Trident and Ultra's Stealth got wiggy with it in the back seat. Nonetheless, it looks very very nice. Let's see if it actually comes to fruition.

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by BADAXE
If you look at the details I think you'll agree that the boat looks completely different than the Trident. Now I'm not a fan of Cobra but the only thing I see that looks even a little bit like the trident is the seat cushions. The interior lay out is not the same, the engine cover is not even close, the deck lines and swim step don't look anything alike. I don't think Wes has anything to worry about. Matter of fact if anything the guy is ripping off the lines of the Ultra Stealth line up and John should be more pissed than Wes.
Just to be clear if I got a deck boat it would be the Trident hands down. And if I were going to get something that looked like an Ultra I'd get it from Ultra and not Cobra.
Agreed. I am not worried, and thanks for the endorsement.
The inherent problem is, that the common stylist, Rob King, is seen as the premier stylist in the industry. He has been used by DCB, Ultra (John actually brought him into this community), Eliminator, Trident, Cobra and now Hallett. His idea of what a boat should look like is pretty clear to him, and as such he incorporates similar style into each and every boat he styles. As a stylist, he is amazing. Probably the best artist I have ever met.
I have seen a lot of Rob's work as concept art, and as far as I know, we are the only company to go the extra mile to make sure his artwork became reality. Most comprimise his styling in favor of ease of tooling, where we didn't.
As such, I would be hugely suprised if the actual boat looks anything like the concept art. The plug is nearly done though, so once it is on the water, we will see if it is truly derivative or not.
The stylist is only as capable as the requirements set before them however. When I told Rob what we needed to do with this boat, and that he had to work around Ron Holders' (our naval architect) hull design to the millimeter, as well as incorporate the side swimstep, front ramp, integrated helm, big motor etc... he was enthusiastic but daunted. We asked a lot of him, and he delivered. We didn't start from a known hull, and we had very specific requirements with regard to weight and balance, flat panels and bulkhead placements. There was a world of stuff to work around, but somehow the "form follows function" mentality drove Rob to create the Revolution, and nobody can ever say that it looks like anything else!
The Cobra should look like the Ultra Stealth line. Rob designed both.
The key difference between the industry as it stands today, and Trident is that if someone splashes me, or infringes on any of my copyrights, trademarks or patents, I have protection. For this however, I actually spent more on intellectual property protection than most people spend on an entire plug. We are covered, front to back on any ripoffs of our boat... period.
One thing is for sure, the Trident actually will (and already has to a certain degree it appears) change the way that people view deck boats. That people are saying that it "looks like a Trident" means that we have been successful with setting ourselves apart from the pack, and have already begun generating our image.
Just wait until we get our boat on the water... You will all love it.
Thanks for looking out guys. I love this community.

Jetdriver
05-28-2004, 10:46 AM
When will it hit the water Wes?????

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Looks like early July. We are having some problems getting the injection system wired, so it looks like #1 will be carbureted. Can't have everything, right?
Ah well... At least we will be wet.

Waldo
05-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply Wes...that's the type of info I was looking for.
As such, I would be hugely suprised if the actual boat looks anything like the concept art.
My thoughts exactly! Many boat companies have truley bitchen concept art but after the boat is produced, it seems to be a close match.

boxscore
05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
. One thing is for sure, the Trident actually will (and already has to a certain degree it appears) change the way that people view deck boats. That people are saying that it "looks like a Trident" means that we have been successful with setting ourselves apart from the pack, and have already begun generating our image.
That little tid bit must feel pretty good after the hard work and monetary investment, eh?

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by boxscore
That little tid bit must feel pretty good after the hard work and monetary investment, eh?
You can't imagine...
This thread has made me feel better about what we are doing than any single observation to date. Thanks for noticing! ;)

Jetdriver
05-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Just curious but have you come up with pricing yet?

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Just curious but have you come up with pricing yet?
Nearly done now. After we lay up the first boat we will know for sure what the hull's will cost, and that is the single largest cost figure in the bunch.
Our retail markup is set by contract, so it will be variable based on wholesale pricing. That being said, there will also be no factory direct pricing whatsoever. Dealers will be the only outlet for the Revolution.
I will let everyone know when the retail is set in stone. Based on recent comps though, we are 20-30K less than our competition is selling factory direct, without any of the unique features such as the wrap around swimstep, drop down front ramp and dual-drive jet.

Jetdriver
05-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Im sure many have already said this but I would love to be a first owner. Your doing a great job Wes keep it up!:D

Froggystyle
05-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks Jetdriver. Very soon here we will have the first hull done for people to take a walk through, so stay tuned to the updates.
Did you get your update last week?

NashvilleBound
05-30-2004, 06:09 AM
I saw the plug for the new Cobra...It's pretty damn close to say the least. Wes, I really would like to see your progress if you have time. I think Chad and I will hit San Vicente Wed or Thursday just to eff off for a few hours. I leave town for good on Friday. But I can fly back any time to see your sled run in the water! All I know is I want a new sport deck boat and NOBODY has one ready!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Come on.....lets go:D
Jeff

NashvilleBound
05-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Thanks Jetdriver. Very soon here we will have the first hull done for people to take a walk through, so stay tuned to the updates.
Did you get your update last week?
Updates?? What updates??

Froggystyle
05-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
Updates?? What updates??
Are you serious?
If you are, you can check out recent progress at http://www.tridentboats.com/news/15/index2.cfm
I am around anytime Jeff. Drop me a line and I will be at the shop, lots of new stuff.