PDA

View Full Version : polisheg a whipple

Essex29
05-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Anyone know what i can expect to pay to have the blue coating removed and it polished?

quiet riot
05-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Hp350, that sucks, sorry to hear about that. The paint should come off pretty easy by using a high strength paint stripper. Brush it on and let it sit until the paint bubbles off (it would look like the stuff on hp350's pic, sorry, but thats a good example of how it bubbles with a good paint remover) and then wipe the paint off with a rag. You might have to repeat this for areas that don't get all the paint with the first try. Just don't scrape it off as you want to leave the surface underneath scratch free. Then just rinse with some water to nuetralize the surface and its ready for polishing or coating.
I think the hi-temp translucent powdercoating would be a great option for those, but you would need to remove any seals/low temp parts from the unit before taking it to the coaters (low temp coating is done at 200 deg, high temp is done at 400 deg but withstands higher temps afterwards.) The candy effect of translucent powdercoating over shiny alum is really cool, and nothing else I've seen comes close to it. Polishing would only be around a couple bones if you brought the polishers a good prepped piece (1-2hrs for the above procedure.)
Good luck,
jd
Jabsco is a great paint/powdercoat remover, just keep it off your skin/eyes and use it in open air.

JLaughreySS24
05-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Shit that sucks really bad!! Ask Dustin how you can remove the paint without screwing up the aluminum. Maybe Stripease or a paint remover of some sort. Then have your whole unit polished. I would probably deal with the paint lifting over the summer and then screw with it in the off season. See if he will hook you up atleast for the cost of the polishing. I thought those units were powder coated. Will he exchange yours for a polished one?? Good Luck!!

JLaughreySS24
05-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking quiet riot!!! It just sucks having to go through all that.

DansBlown73Nordic
05-30-2004, 02:53 AM
I bet whipple doesn't have that picture in the brochure....:rolleyes:

JLaughreySS24
05-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I see what you mean by matching the rest of your paint. It looks great. A polished whipple would look real nice cause it would tie in with your risers. Otherwise I would look to powdercoat or fusioncoat it before painting cause the paint will probabley lift again. Hey would you mind posting a few closer pics of your motor cause I would love to rip off my B&M 250 and drop on a carbed whipple set up like yours. Thanks

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Sure SS24- These are early pics. before Crane ign., back seat removed etc.
Right side, note we used a hi-volume mech. pump and upsized all tank lines...

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 12:24 PM
We mounted the carb. crossways because it looks better and we were able to fab. up an Enderle linkage which got the throttle cable down low for hatch clearance.

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Running a 1090 Demon, may go to 1190 as it seems to be a limiting factor...

JLaughreySS24
05-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the pics, it turned out real nice. Funny my next question was going to be the carb size!! I had a 1150 Holley on my 250 then switch to a 950 Holley boost referenced. Lost about 6 miles an hour top speed. Im sure you could go bigger and pic up more MPH. What did that kit set you back if you dont mind me asking??

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 11:06 PM
$6300 for stage 3 with 3.3 blower and larger intercooler. Black finish is 2 or 3 hundred less. Polished a couple hundred more.
There are better deals out there, when you are ready to buy post a thread and a certain member on the board will PM you;)

JLaughreySS24
05-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Sounds good, I just have to invest in a XR drive first!!!!

Jrocket
05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by JLaughreySS24
Max Machine Worx 928-505-7860 ask for Jason.

JLaughreySS24
05-31-2004, 09:59 AM
Am I better off investing in my bravo one? I have a nose cone already but didnt know if I need to step up to the XR or have someone like Max Machine beef up the bravo one.

Jrocket
05-31-2004, 08:00 PM
When your ready,just call Max machine and they will go over eveything with you.Tell them John with the DCB Mach26 sent you.

JLaughreySS24
05-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Sounds good. Thanks John

BrendellaJet
06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Pay to have the blue coating removed? Mine's coming off by itself after 6 hrs. use and I'm not too happy about it. Dustin said that they don't bake the paint on like Merc. does and he would do nothing for me. He did give me the paint code. If they are going to charge $200-300 for a paint job it should be better than that. Here's a pic. of what's happening, all bubbled up and getting worse fast....:mad: What would you guys do? Sorry about the thread hijack.
Am I the only person that thinks Whipple should make right on this. 6 hours and the paint comes off? Did they tell you that would happen? If they did and you still bought it, your dumb. Im guessing they dont tell people that this will happen.

HP350SC
06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Of course they didn't tell me that would happen. I believe they just did not prep mine right, or maybe some oil residue or something was not cleaned off before they painted it. I doubt they are all that way.
In any case it should be fixed no charge to my way of thinking.

JLaughreySS24
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
No, I already said I think he should try and swap it out for a polished one cause I would be pissed too if it did that shit. That kit is alot of money and by god if the paint lifted like that it would come off my motor and shipped back to Whipple for new paint, polished or whatever HP350 decides he wants to do.

JLaughreySS24
06-01-2004, 01:23 PM
I really dont see this being a problem cause Dustin most everytime stands by his product and will help HP350 out in someway. If he doesnt, I would be really surprised!!!

HP350SC
06-01-2004, 01:41 PM
SS24- I'm sure liking my Max Machine Worx outdrive. It may cost more up front, but one or two blown up drives(and downtime) cost more in the long run. Nice feeling being able to stand on it with no worries. Also sounds like Chadzilla does good work too.

JLaughreySS24
06-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Tell me about it!! I have to step up to a stronger drive before I do anything to my motor.

Essex29
06-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
SS24- I'm sure liking my Max Machine Worx outdrive. It may cost more up front, but one or two blown up drives(and downtime) cost more in the long run. Nice feeling being able to stand on it with no worries. Also sounds like Chadzilla does good work too.
Did you have them upgrade your Bravo 1 or did you buy it new from them? How much?

HP350SC
06-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Used my upper case and shift fork only. ALL their upgrades, as well as a new 2" shorter merc. sportmaster lower with 1" spacer and low water pickup, and 1:26 gears. $10K, however that included $2100 for WPM dual ram steering too. So $7900 for just the drive. Well worth it, these guys are awesome. Check out their website if you haven't already. Pricing was confusing to me, so that should give you a better idea of cost. Would have been substantially cheaper (2K less) had I not went with the sportmaster and spacer. In my case since I was going to be exceeding 100mph the stock lower would not have worked. I had my choice of the IMCO lower or the merc. lower. The IMCO lower is a tick faster and couple hundred cheaper. Merc. has larger skeg(which I wanted) as well as a better water pickup. Max told me they have cut a skeg completely off to see if speed picks up and it doesn't.

HP350SC
06-01-2004, 08:24 PM
pic...

zahndok
06-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Just confirmation of your blue paint experience. My blue paint has been coming off my Whipple intercooler since the first month just like your blower. Looks just like you described.... like a poor prep job with oil residue left on prior to paint . No paint peeling off my Merc motor.

JLaughreySS24
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Id call Dustin again and ask how common this paint problem is cause there are other people dealing with the same shit. Then I would ask, because this IS a problem with the paint lifting can I send it back to have the paint striped and you guys polish it instead cause I dont want my blower looking like shit for 6500.00 bucks.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Go Polished !!!!
I AGREE.....I love my MAX Machine Worx drive.......
Aaron & Jason are the shit!!!
CJG

Fastnuf
06-04-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm surprised Dustin hasn't replied to this thread yet. For the price you pay for a Whipple, I would think they would treat you alot better.

HP350SC
06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
In Dustins' defense I have only spoke to him once about this. Just busy having fun with boat right now. I will talk to him again and be a little more persuasive. To switch to polished would require them taking back all the used blue anodized pieces so not likely that will be an option. Really just looking for a repaint at this point. Could even agree on price and have it done locally. Haven't seen Dustin post for quite some time. This is their busy season. That polished does look good!.....

Whipple Charged
06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
To clarify a few things, we do stand behind our product. If the paint was a poor job or it was just flaking off, then we would repaint it, but if it was caused by gasoline then we can't warranty that. In order to properly diagnose what happen, we would need to have the items back here. We can establish what we have to do. Were very flexible.
In general, the paint is coming off because of gasoline, which is pretty hard on paint. The SC and manifold have to be masked off on the sealing edges, this leaves an edge to the machined surface. If gas falls on this edge, it will get below the painted surface and lift the paint. Theres simply not much we can do with that. Try pouring gasoline on the edge of the stock carb or take the fuel lines off a few times and see how the paint bubbles. The paint is not magically bubbling, something got to it. We've been painting our kits since 1999, we've used the same PPG paint for the entire time, which is the same as Mercury Racing. If you drop gas on a main painted area with no edges, it will take it depending on how much and how long.
As for polishing, thats not even an option, it cost me far more than you can probably imagine. Between the manifold, SC, belt system, drive, adapters, bypass, etc. it's very expensive. With a used setup, we would have to strip the anodizing, the paint and the powder coating as well as completely dissassemble everything. Polish it all, then clean, then reassemble it. This is expensive when its brand new and far more expensive when it's already been painted and used.
Thanks,
Dustin

HP350SC
06-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Here's another earlier pic....
There are no fuel leaks and I'll take more pics. and post them Sunday night or Monday after putting some hours on boat. There is less than 7 hrs. on this install.

HP350SC
06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
This was just taken, you can compare it to second post in this thread and see it's getting worse along edge of intercooler and blower as well as in back. One hour runtime is only difference between the two pics.

copperrat20
06-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
Anyone know what i can expect to pay to have the blue coating removed and it polished?
I paid $1500 to have my whipple polished when I bought it. The company that did it is called "Speedway" in Santa Ana California. Great service and excellent job polishing!

JLaughreySS24
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Powdercoating doesnt lift when you drip fuel on it and it last alot longer than regular paint. Ive powdercoated two manifolds and they have held up for almost ten years!! Maybe that would fix the problem?

Jrocket
06-15-2004, 04:59 PM
So whats the outcome of this?

HP350SC
06-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Just got new outdrive decals with Max Machine Worx logo, those guys are great. Sent them no charge too. I really leaned on the outdrive last weekend and not a lick of problems.

RACER52
06-16-2004, 10:38 AM
yes HP350 leaned on his drive hard. I had to stab my throttle due to a cough when getting on plane when sorta ran and all I could see was his roost.
My home built drive is also holding up strong and I hammered on it this last weekend.
HP=cant wait to hang out again.
Racer

Jrocket
06-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the Whipple.
Glad to hear about the drive though.Im really happy with their work and products.

HP350SC
06-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by RACER52
yes HP350 leaned on his drive hard. I had to stab my throttle due to a cough when getting on plane when sorta ran and all I could see was his roost.
My home built drive is also holding up strong and I hammered on it this last weekend.
HP=cant wait to hang out again.
Racer
Hey Racer52 that boat says a lot about your fabrication abilities and was much more impressive in person than in pics! yeah you punished your drive pretty good I'd say!
Maybe a second trip to Shasta in late August or Sept.:D

rustyk
06-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Where are you going to get the drive? I need one here before long.
Rusty

JLaughreySS24
06-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Jrocket says that Max Machine are the ones to talk to in Havasu for your drive needs.

Jrocket
06-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Jrocket says that Max Machine are the ones to talk to in Havasu for your drive needs.
They definately are!

TOBTEK
06-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Jrocket
They definately are!
HEY "J"......question for you. with a stock Merc 525 is a bravo one drive OK? I question this with all the problems I read about on here. Dave said theres only a problem with them went big HP is on them...like 700hp and up. I dont know shi- about inboard/outboards...trying to work a deal on a new 26 with a 525;)

565edge
06-19-2004, 11:00 AM
I have a bravo xr with 2 inch shortie for $6500.Or a imco sc with 2 inch shortie for $7000.Let me know.These are brand new drives.

Jrocket
06-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
HEY "J"......question for you. with a stock Merc 525 is a bravo one drive OK? I question this with all the problems I read about on here. Dave said theres only a problem with them went big HP is on them...like 700hp and up. I dont know shi- about inboard/outboards...trying to work a deal on a new 26 with a 525;)
I wouldnt have anything less than an XR on that motor.My HP 500 broke the stock bravo1 at 40hours.I would go with a XR and save up for Max Machines stuff in the future.Can never have too much drive or motor!:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-19-2004, 11:31 PM
;) :D

dmontzsta
06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
:)

Essex29
06-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I wouldnt have anything less than an XR on that motor.My HP 500 broke the stock bravo1 at 40hours.I would go with a XR and save up for Max Machines stuff in the future.Can never have too much drive or motor!:D
When you do the Max upgrade what exactly do they use to the upgrade ?

565edge
06-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Grey goose go to ebay and look up imco.I have drives on thier.

TOBTEK
06-20-2004, 05:04 PM
J....how much$$$$ should I expect to pay more for a XR over a bravo one? What does MAX do and how $$$$ ?

Jrocket
06-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
J....how much$$$$ should I expect to pay more for a XR over a bravo one? What does MAX do and how $$$$ ?
Not sure on the XR price upgrade.I thought it was about $3600 over the regular Bravo1.Call and talk to the guys at Max,they can give you the best advice on what to do.My next drive will be from there.The service you get from them is worth every penny when you need them.Ask them about their own tower that they have.I havent seen any on boats but saw one on their bench at the shop.Has to be extreme $$$$$.
What are you going to get?What model?

TOBTEK
06-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Not sure on the XR price upgrade.I thought it was about $3600 over the regular Bravo1.Call and talk to the guys at Max,they can give you the best advice on what to do.My next drive will be from there.The service you get from them is worth every penny when you need them.Ask them about their own tower that they have.I havent seen any on boats but saw one on their bench at the shop.Has to be extreme $$$$$.
What are you going to get?What model?
we will see, want to get one like yours with a 525......MAYBE a winter build. maybe a nice used one????? wanta see what pops up after this season.

HP350SC
06-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Max machine works is the shit...It cost me 10K,BUT that included $2100 for WPM dual ram steering and ALL of their internal components. Their pricing is a little confusing. I sent them JUST my upper bravo housing and shift fork and rear cover. I also upgraded to the merc. sportmaster lower unit(satin) with low water pickup and 1:26 gears. This sucker is bulletproof! Running an HP500 Whipple with 9 lbs. boost on avgas, roughly 750 hp/ 800+torque. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I live in Oregon and sent my drive all the way to Arizona, these guys know their stuff. If you're going to build a moderate output motor(700-950hp) this is the way to go. Use someone else's bravo drive, and one blow up will cost more in the long run.
Since I sent them just the case and shift fork, I still have damn near a complete 1:36 geared bravo 1 for a spare or whatever.

HP350SC
06-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Here's a picture...

Whipple Charged
06-23-2004, 08:58 PM
HP350SC,
Like I said, I have to get the unit in to properly evaluate, I'm not sure whats wrong with that as a mfg. I told you what I've seen, I haven't said yes or no, I said were flexible! I don't feel I need to defend myself or the company over a public forum, we've always done what we can for the customer. As I said on the phone and here, send it in for us to evaluate. If you have a problem with your car, what do they tell you? Bring it in to evaluate the problem. This is standard. After we evaluate it, you can go online and post your results and/or findings.
To note, you did not pay a premium for the blue paint finish, this is a $200 option over the black finish. Although it's not a $1800 blower, it's actually a kit that has many more componets that add to the price. Showing pictures of your intake manifold with 70 hours doesn't mean anything. As I told you, we cannot cure the paint like Mercury Racing so it's not as hard, also note that the motors are painted assembled so gas leaks are far more rare. You also have less exposed edges until it's disassembled.
Powder coating would be a great option, but you would first have to try and find a powder coating company that will mfg. a special blend of powder coating to match the factory blue paint. We've researched this and we have yet to find a company willing to do this or even say it's possible do to the metallic content. There are many blues, but none that come close to matching in the sunlight.
Thanks,
Dustin

Rexone
06-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Dustin said in his first post send it in for evaluation. That is not an unreasonable or inappropriate request. Yet following that, more whining and carrying on. Some of you wonder why most manufacturers avoid these forums like the plague. Perfect example right here. If anyone had taken a position already it was not Dustin, it was HP350 as illistruated by the continued hammering immediately following after Dustin indicated to send it in for evaluation and it would be repainted if determined to be bad paint or poor paint job.
And I got no horse in this race as we don't sell Whipple. Just callin it like I see it.

HP350SC
06-24-2004, 10:54 AM
OK fair enough, and thanks for reply. I will send it in around October or so if that's all right. Our boating season is short up here so don't want to have any down time. Posting of pictures was for documentation and comparison, and to be as clear as possible so Whipple could hopefully make a decision prior to disassembly and shipping. Picture of intake was admittedly a little sarcastic so I will apologize for that.I would think a determination could be made from blower pictures? It would likely cost $100 shipping both ways as I'm 500 miles from Whipple. Then another ???$ to strip and repaint it, so I am looking for some degree of commitment before I send it down. I don't feel I was whining Rexone, and the way I read it was this: 1. I have already said gas was spilled when tuning, pretty much unavoidable. 2. Dustin said specifically he could not warranty a fuel spill. He did say he was flexible, and I can appreciate that, but that is less clear of a statement. 3. IF that is the case, then I might look to have it painted locally to save shipping costs. Can probably get repainted for $100-200. Note I had not continued with this thread regarding the paint issue, other members asked about it. Continued discussion is welcome, but if you ain't got a horse in the race maybe you shouldn't be at the race.
I am VERY happy with the performance gain and other aspects of the kit. I do have one question Dustin, I have seen some builders using the engine oiling system instead of the synthetic gear lube for the bearing endplates. Under higher boost is it better to use the engine oil, and what benefit is that? Is it to keep the oil cooler? I am going back to 7lb. boost pulley for duration of summer, except for one poker run.
P.S. Thanks for the information about powdercoating, I don't think I will go that route.
Regards,
Mike