PDA

View Full Version : please respond

AmericanThunder1
05-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Ok just got done rebuilding my pump, everything went well. So I thought and went down to the river and every thing is so tight the starter will not turn the moter over. My Question is, is it possable to over tighten the bowl?

quiet riot
05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm assuming a berk style pump here:
Did you measure the clearance between the front of the impeller wear edge to a lipped wear ring or the pump housing? There are shims to put in front of the impeller on the shaft to keep the correct distance gap from it going too far forward.
How about side clearance between the wear ring and imp? An oversize wear ring on a standard imp won't leave any clearance.
Can you disconnect the pump shaft from the motor and see if it will spin? This would eliminate the pump as a cause (low battery, starter/cable type problem.)
I found on my legend pump that the standard berk type impellers wouldn't clear the cast in stuffer cone on the legend bowl, it needed a little clearancing.
The bowl should be able to slide all the way up to the mating surface without any big resitance.
Just where I'd look at,
jd

AmericanThunder1
05-28-2004, 09:59 PM
yes I loosened up the bowl and she fired right up I then tightened it back up and it would not turn over so I repeated and loosened them up again and It fired up again.

HammerDown
05-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Sure sounds like the Impeller is butting up against the Wear Ring. Your looking for at least .025 between the front of the Impeller and that W.Ring when the Big nut is Torqued. With the loader out you can actually get your arm up underneath and check it with a feeler guage. For me thats an easier option then going throught the clean out hole. (we are talking "lipped wear ring" correct?)

Wet Dream
05-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
butting
You sure do like that word. :D

quiet riot
05-29-2004, 05:17 AM
The loosening and tightening of the bowl shouldn't affect the front clearance of the impeller to wear ring, that shouldn't change once the big nut is torqued behind the impeller on the shaft. Did you install a new impeller with the rebuild? Did you get the rear shaft bearings installed so the shaft can slide all the way into them easily?
It sure sounds like you have the impeller (backside) coming in contact with the bowl. With the bowl off, put a little grease all over the back end of the impellor (blades and everything else on the backside) nut, and shaft. Then intall the bowl and tighten it down. Remove the bowl and see if the grease was marked up anywhere and that the bowl contacted it.
Some bowls, like my legend, don't clear some impellers on the inner diameter of the circle on the rear of the impeller. Some bigger impellers like agressor AA, precision's, etc might come in contact with the bowl veins and need clearancing on the bowl.
Hope ya find it,
jd

AmericanThunder1
05-29-2004, 08:07 AM
yes I think the bowl is rubbing the impeller it is a jc bowl with an aggresser impeller any idea what I need to do here?

Moneypitt
05-29-2004, 08:36 AM
What about the packing? The bolts/nuts to load the packing WILL over tighten the packing on the shaft, and lock it up. Just another possibility.............Moneypitt

Cheap Thrills
05-29-2004, 10:28 AM
make sure the impeller is seated to the shoulder on the shaft by looking through the hand hole . also check the clearance between the impeller and the wear ring .015 ? I think but dont hold me to that clearance . anybody ?? .

AmericanThunder1
05-30-2004, 07:39 PM
HTP told me .030 clearence on the gap between the impeller and the ware ring. The packing is good. I loosened up the bowl bolts again put it on the river and it started right up but I filled the back of the boat up quick as soon as I pushed the throttle so I seem to be screwed here I cant tighten or the starter wont turn and I cant leave them loose or I will sink the boat I am lost??????????????????????????????????????????????

1HOTGMCJET
05-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Any witness marks on the bowl or impeller? If anything's that tight, it's gonna leave markings SOMEWHERE........

AmericanThunder1
05-31-2004, 10:03 AM
GMC Jet I will find out tomarrow when I pull it off. we shall soon see

Jake W
05-31-2004, 03:26 PM
How about imp shims do you have too many or none at all?
They should have came in your rebuild kit.
Jake:D

AmericanThunder1
05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
yes I used the shims I put enough in to allow a .030 Gap maybe .040 at the most between the impeller and the ware ring.