PDA

View Full Version : Glastron Ssv170 With 200hp Mercury Outboard? Anyone Else Try This

AARON TATE
05-28-2004, 08:30 PM
I HAVE A 1995 GLASTRON SSV 170 ITS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO A NEW SX170 THE QUESTION I HAVE IS THE BOAT ORIGINALY CAME WITH A FORCE 150 INLINE 5 WITH A 19 PITCH STAINLESS FORCE PERFORMANCE PROP IN SLIGHT CHOP I HIT 57 MPH. I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON A MERCURY A 1984 MERCURY 200HP IVE PUT IT ON HAVENT USED IT YET, BUT AM WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS DONE THIS AND IF THE CHINE WALKING WAS UNCONTROLABLE I WAS HOPEINGF TO USE LESS TRIM SINCE THE HORSEPOWER IS HIGHER. IS 65MPH OUT OF THE QUESTION, I DO RELEASE THIS ISNT THE BEST HULL DESIGN FOR SPEED BUT IT DID SUPRISE ALOT OF FAST BOATS WHEN IT WOULD SATY NEXT TO THEM. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTION IS GREAT. PS I KNOW THE BOAT IS RATED FOR 150HP BUT I DID PURCHAS THE DIFFERENT DECALS IS HOPES OF A REAL SLEEPER. THANKS ALOT. AARON

bilgewiper
05-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the message boards. I always liked the idea of "sleepers" they are alot of fun. In high school I had a stock looking 68 VW bug with a 140hp Corvair 6 banger under its hood. Its always fun to surprise people, like I supppose you will be doing with that 200hp on your Glastron. I have a 89 200 Merc on my old Bowrider Laveycraft and I have some chinewalk which I hope I have gotten rid of with the addition of the solid motor mounts that I just installed. It hasn't been to the water yet this year because I havent finished recarpreting the interior. Your boat ought to fly. Be sure to let us know how it does once you get it wet.

Tom Brown
05-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the site, AARON. :)
No doubt, you will get a little chine walk but it can be tuned out with setup changes.
I run a Glastron CVX with a 150 outboard and I've gotten into the 70s. By playing with prop selection, engine height, and setback, I've managed to get it handling pretty well and my hull is going further beyond it's designed speeds than yours will be.
I think you'll be just fine. Use some caution until you become comfortable with the boat.
-- Tom :)

VIKING
06-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Welcome ARRON.:D
I have a 1968 16' shasta sidewinder. she had a 140merc to start until my wife forgot to put oil in the gas:mad: So that gave me a good reason to go faster:D she always chine walked at 60mph. so I tuned and stiffend the hual made a small pad and put a 200 merc with solid mounts bob's power jack plate, nose cone seastar hydo steering and now I am in the mid 70's no chine walk but you REALLY have to watch what you are doing. It's tough to tell the exact top speed without GPS because the pick tube is not in the water much nor is the haul:D :D It is a blast . Like Tom said, BE CAUTION to start.
BIG ENGINE + LITTLE BOAT = A LOT OF FUN!!
Forget this I'm going boat. I feel the need for speed!:cool: