PDA

View Full Version : Sos Help!!!!

Jetdriver
05-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Im having an ignition problem. Every once in awhile when I turn the switch off after running the engine wont shut down. Is it the switch???? Or something else?

wsuwrhr
05-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Im having an ignition problem. Every once in awhile when I turn the switch off after running the engine wont shut down. Is it the switch???? Or something else?
How about some info on what type of ignition you are running?
If it is an MSD you may have wires mixed up.
Brian

Jetdriver
05-29-2004, 02:45 PM
It is an MSD but I did not install it. It has been fine since I bought the boat, but at big river it started to give me problems. Im thinking its the switch!

JESSE
05-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't know if it is your key switch but i had the same thing hapen to me and that is what was wrong with mine

327,jet
05-29-2004, 03:35 PM
I would say that it was the switch , they aren't that expensive and if it's old I would replace it . That's just me though.

sleekcraft76
05-29-2004, 04:43 PM
switch ,i hade the same problam ,20.00 fix

flat broke
05-29-2004, 08:21 PM
One of two things. Depending on your alternator setup, you may need to install the provided Diode that comes with the MSD so that voltage doesn't leak into the system from the alternator still spining after the key has been shut off. This is a simple fix and the diode info can be found on MSD's site.
The other option is to check the switch itself. If you have voltage on your 12v switched lead at the junction block in the back even when the key is in the "off" position, its the switch, not the diode issue related to the alternator and MSD.
Hope that helps.
Chris

Jetdriver
05-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys! Bought a switch and will try that. I figured it must be the switch. If not Ill let you know what I foudn out !

nwjetter
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I had the same problem and it was the diode that needed to be in place. Give that a try if the switch isnt it. Ian

Jetdriver
05-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Replaced the switch and I believe that was the fix. Ill find out next weekend for sure..

Jetdriver
05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
OK switch didnt fix it! Im screwed now, please if you have any info please let me know!

Oldsquirt
05-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you have a problem with one of the circuits continuing to supply power to the MSD. MSD has found that it is usually the alternator circuit. They include a 100v/1amp diode in the installation kits. For information go here (http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6series.pdf) and scroll down to page 8---Engine run-on--- for information. One way to test if this is the cause of your problem would be to unplug the terminal of your alternator(or regulator if it is external) that is connected to the ignition switch( NOT the output lead). The theory MSD has is that there is still enough current flowing out from the regulator to keep the box "ON".

Jetdriver
05-31-2004, 12:07 PM
Well I found the problem finally. I have the Rex Marine alt mount that puts the alternator apposing the crank. Well in order to see the wires I needed to pull the rear seat. BINGO! Pull the seat to find the main wire running to the alt was completely disconnected. So after checking all other wires I reattached the main wire and all is good now. Oldsquirt I found that MSD site and printed out the manual for the 6m-2 that was the biggest help since I could see how it was supposed to be wired. Thank you all again! Glad I have you guys to help me!
Shawn

wsuwrhr
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Well I found the problem finally. I have the Rex Marine alt mount that puts the alternator apposing the crank. Well in order to see the wires I needed to pull the rear seat. BINGO! Pull the seat to find the main wire running to the alt was completely disconnected. So after checking all other wires I reattached the main wire and all is good now. Oldsquirt I found that MSD site and printed out the manual for the 6m-2 that was the biggest help since I could see how it was supposed to be wired. Thank you all again! Glad I have you guys to help me!
Shawn
Well shit howdy. I own 4 MSD ignition cars.
I mentioned you may have a wiring problem and the response was, "Well it has been fine since I bought the boat" Post #2 Pal.
Sheesh. You try and help a guy,
Brian
(heckling the crew)

Jetdriver
06-01-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/79HPIM0711.JPG I just dont listen Brian. I should have know something was wrong at Freeboard Challenge since I wasnt showing a charge the entire weekend and I drained my bluetop. Thanks for everyones help again!:D :D :D

MudPumper
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
After crimping the wire into the terminal, solder it by heating the terminal with a soldering iron until the solder flows and coats the exposed wire. Important, heat the terminal not the wire!!!!! You shouldn't have to worry about it again. ;)

Jetdriver
06-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Thats exactly what I did. A little solder is the trick for sure.