PDA

View Full Version : How do you time an engine...

Wet Dream
05-29-2004, 01:13 PM
if you don't have a degree pointer?
I'm sure I know what I'm going to hear, but is there another trick?

Blown 472
05-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Wet Dream
if you don't have a degree pointer?
I'm sure I know what I'm going to hear, but is there another trick?
What kinda engine and why no pointer?

Moneypitt
05-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Split the #1 valve overlap, find a reference point, rotate crank once, point rotor at #1 in the dist. cap, fire it up and advance until it gets desired throttle response. Run it on the water and advance until it goes over the top of the advance curve, back it off to max performance.....AND mark the dist. housing to the manifold for future use........Moneypitt

Wet Dream
05-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Its running but to acurratley time it I dont have a refrence point. Should i just go by the way it sounds and acts?

GofastRacer
05-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Nope, find TDC and put a pointer on it and set the timing where it's supposed to be!..The way the motor runs depends on a lot more besides timing!..
Your turn Ray!...:) :) :)

Fiat48
05-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah..go by sound of the motor. If it sounds quick and crsipy..it's too far advanced. LOL :D

GofastRacer
05-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Yeah..go by sound of the motor. If it sounds quick and crsipy..it's too far advanced. LOL :D
ROLMAO!..:D :D :D

HammerDown
05-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
Nope, find TDC and put a pointer on it and set the timing where it's supposed to be!..
Ditto...:wink:

DansBlown73Nordic
05-30-2004, 04:03 AM
He has a 455 Olds with a aluminum front cover. It doesn't have a spot for a pointer. I would find TDC and put a mark on the cover with a chisel or engraver maybe.
Im pretty sure you can get it close by the sound. I would advance it till the starter won't turn it over. Then back it off till the starter turns it over and I bet you would be very close.....;)

tbanzer
05-30-2004, 06:12 AM
The first thing I do when timing marks are in question is to find top dead center (TDC). I have a sparkplug hollowed out and threaded with a piece of 3/8 rod. I use a screwdriver to find the approximate tdc while cranking the motor by hand. Then put a mark anywhere on the timing cover to use as a reference point. Back the engine off about 30deg. Install the sparkplug tool and thread the rod till it touches the piston. Back the engine off a few more degrees then bring it forward to touch the rod in the plug hole, mark this position in line with the mark on the timing cover. Now back the engine all the way around untill the piston hits the rod, mark the balancer again. Now take a flexable ruller and measure the distance between the marks, exactly half way between these two marks is TDC. Now I use a adjustable advance timing light to set initial and full advance.

MANIC MECHANIC
05-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Wet,
What tbanzer told you to do is the most reliable way of locating TDC
That's how it's done on outboards where improper timing can destroy one in a heartbeat.
You can make a stop by knocking the ground strap and ceramic out of an old sparkplug base (you may have to drill the ceramic out) Drill & tap the side of the base for a small setscrew... insert the appropriate size rod in place of the ceramic and tighten the setscrew to hold it in place in the plug base
Use a screw driver in the #1 plug hole to get close to TDC
Insert the piston stop so that it is touching the piston
back the motor up a little bit and EASE the piston back up to the stop.
Mark that point.
Rotate the motor the other way and EASE the piston up against the stop
(it is very important to make sure you don't bump the stop hard enough to move it)
Mark this point.
TDC is exactly half way in between the two marks.:D
Tim

Wet Dream
05-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Thats a cool way to do it. Thanks guys!!

MANIC MECHANIC
05-30-2004, 10:24 AM
I machined mine down and made a plug to thread into it to give the setscrew a few more threads, but you get the idea....
You could also do the same thing with a longnose dial indicator
on a magnetic base if you would have access to one, just bring the piston up to the same point each way/ then split the differance for TDC.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/11912004_0529tool0001-med.JPG
Tim

Cheap Thrills
05-30-2004, 05:11 PM
:D LMFAO
C.T. :wink:

Wet Dream
05-30-2004, 07:35 PM
I must really be missing something here. :confused:

Fiat48
05-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Setting timing by ear is always too advanced. The motor loves advance at low speed.
Just get a timing mark like the others told you. It's important.

Wet Dream
05-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Whew, I'm out of the dark. Thanks Fiat. ;)