PDA

View Full Version : BBC 468 Roller motor questions

infotraker
05-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Putting BBC 468 comp cam roller motor together currently. Questions on roller lifters. I am going to soak them in oil and install. Notes from comp cam say do not let engine sit long before starting it because lifters will loose oil. Is that true? There will be a week or 2 before getting the motor in the boat and running. What happens later when the boat sits for weeks at a time, no oil in rollers and then trouble ? Also, what is the lowest rmp that you can run (slow cruising, 1500 to 2000 rmp) without having roller wear problems ?
Thanks for any replies.:)

GofastRacer
05-29-2004, 07:58 PM
That is true oil will run away over time and it don't take long, if it's a brand new motor and it's not going to run for a while I would leave the intake off until you're ready to fire it, when you're ready to fire it, pre lube the motor and take the last quart of oil and pour it all over the lifters then put the intake on and fire it!..After that when it sits for a while before you fire it up, crank it over for a few seconds until you see oil pressure then hit the ignition that way you'll have oil flowing right away and have adequate splash on the cam!...I haven't used a roller in a cruiser deal but I don't think I would cruise under 2500 myself!...Now there is a cure for that, Isky has a lifter that has a pressure fed orifice that feeds oil to the rollers, or you can get a tool that cuts a groove in the lifter bore to feed oil to the rollers!..Hope this helps...

BrendellaJet
05-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Is that why roller cams fail so often in a marine application(so ive heard) is that the roller doesn't get oil? If it does then no more worries?

Fiat48
05-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Gofastracer, who makes the tool? What are we doing with it...cutting a line in the lifter bore? Was wondering if we could grind a little on the roller lifter body..similar to the new lifter Isky and Comp have been offering.

GofastRacer
05-29-2004, 09:17 PM
I think "Powerhouse" has it, it cuts a groove in the lifter bore in the block from the oil passage down so it squirts oil at the rollers at all times!..

Fiat48
05-29-2004, 09:47 PM
http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=POW351026&Category_Code=LIFTER&Store_Code=PH

disco_charger
05-29-2004, 11:06 PM
You might want to PM Holy Moly about the whole Hydraulic roller deal. I think he had some serious problems, and even scoring the lifter to let oil by didn't help...I was told it's a real bad deal in a play boat.

tbanzer
05-30-2004, 06:19 AM
Are we talking hydraulic or mechanical roller? Idleing kills mechanical roller lifters. I have put molly lube on the cam and had motors sit with no problems. If the motor is going to sit for months the valves should be backed off anyways.

GofastRacer
05-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Fiat48
http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=POW351026&Category_Code=LIFTER&Store_Code=PH
That's it!..:D