PDA

View Full Version : Your worst boating experience....?

Mandelon
05-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Kinda slow here so how about a story thread?
What was your worst boating experience?

Mandelon
05-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I have been pretty lucky so far. The worst is probably having to get towed back in by the Coast Guard out on Mohave.
We were out on my first boat....a bayliner with an 85 HP wacker on it. I was towing a newbie skier who kept falling, he went down and I spun around to pick him up and killed the motor. After he got situated, I cranked the motor and it didn't fire, so I turned the key again and hit the starter before the flywheel has stopped. The starter shaft bent when the two gears contacted and it was jammed stuck. At the time I didn't know much, I probably could have freed it with a hammer......
We flagged down another boat and they got the big coast guard boat for us and we got towed all the way back to Katherines. we were up near the powerlines at the time.
Worse even was that the CG boat left us at the farthest out dock, and we had to get the rest of the way in with the help of a PWC. :yuk:
At least no one got hurt and the tow was free. :cool:

Cheap Thrills
05-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Several years ago I had a 17' Glasspar with a 3.8L OMC Buick we were out on the TN river doing the watersport thing having a good time not the first problem all day. at around 5:00p we decided that it was time to stop and eat at one of the local waterway restaurants after we ate I went down to the boat to straighten everything out and get it ready for the trip back down river to the house . I finished the tidying up and hopped behind the wheel hit the key and fired it up , when I threw it into gear and idled out towards the channel when about that time the engine does a hick up and dies . I bumped the starter again and she fired back off . and then
KaF u C kin BOOM ! fire, explotion the doghouse covering the engine shot strait up about thirty feet and back down on top of me now not only is my boat on fire Ive got 80 pounds of flaming plywood and vinyl on top of me and it was gettin real fockin hot real fast . I managed to get out from under the flaming box of death and grabbed the fire extinguisher and shot it towards the flames with no luck at putting it out . people were yelling get out get out but a Capitan goes down with the ship . out of the corner of my eye I catch a flash of white as I turn to see what it was kabong another boater Joe Nameth'd another extinguisher towards me hitting me in the head :rolleyes: so here I am with my boat on fire
no eyebrows and half the hair on my head gone and on top of all that I was bleeding profusely from the wound I received from the airborn KIDDE ABC fire extinguisher . Amongst all the confusion I had a moment of clarity and remembered that I had an electric fuel pump and the switch was still on . so I hit the switch and shot the second extinguisher at the flames putting most of it out .
the damage to the boat wasn't as extensive as I would have expected , mostly hoses and plugwires .
I was out doing the water sport thing with it the very next day . with a new hair cut and a box of bandaids . :D
I have other bad trips but that one about tops em for being the worst .
C.T. :wink:

LUVNLIFE
05-29-2004, 07:05 PM
When me and my wife started dating we were in my 19' Daytona. This was the first time she was in it also. We were sitting on Lake Havasu down by the dam right across from Take Off Point. We sat there having a couple of boat sodas and the only other boat around was a HUGE cabin cruiser with some fishermen on it. After a while they decide to take off and plow out leaving a 3-4' wake in their aftermath. By the time I got spun around from sitting on the deck and tried to get started I looked back to see two big wakes come over the back. The boat went under and there we sat bow up. After that my wife hated that boat till I sold it, that was 5 years ago. The funny thing is she bought it back for me last month and its in the garage. She keeps asking when we are taking it out. Damn Mrs. Luvnlife is a good woman.:D ;)

Cas
05-29-2004, 07:29 PM
The worst thing to ever happen to me was not while on the water. A few years ago we were adding a big loft (30x60) in a boat shop for added storage of boats. At the end of one of the days, as usual, I hopped on the forklift to move the boats back in. On the forth boat, a really nice Eliminator jet, something went real wrong.
When the boat crested the top of the driveway going in, the tongue popped off the ball and it started rolling back down the little hill. When the side of the trailer hit the fork it turned the boat just enough to force the hull into the fork. By the time I got the forklift into reverse, it was way to late to prevent about a 6' long by 1'wide "gash" in the side of the boat. Boy was I friggin flipped! The latch on the trailer was messed up and didn't catch, thus the reason it was in for repairs.
Apparently it wasn't that big of a deal as the owner of the company got it all fixed up as good as new.........I guess.

cc322
05-29-2004, 07:40 PM
First day of vacation we launched out of windsor and got to black meadows landing and a bunch of smoke was comming from my engine hatch, I thought it was a fire, but found out my engine coupler broke, had no power going to the outdrive, had to get towed back to windsor and pay for the repair ,lost a whole day of boating, the cost was around 600.00 dollars, not a good way to start out.The good news is I got all my money back from the boat builder since it was such a new boat.

summerlove
05-29-2004, 07:50 PM
One day at band camp....;)

ahhell
05-29-2004, 07:52 PM
I dont know if i can top C.T. but a few years ago Scream and I went out to silverwood for our everyother weekend outing with the sea doos. We loaded up the girls at the dock with coolers and kids on his seadoo, and Scream and I hopped on my seadoo to head out to our cove, in tow was a very large innertube and a chair or two. On the way out my hands were getting tired from holding the rope that was towing the innertube and he was busy smoking. So, we decided to put the rope on the seat and sit on it (we're both 6'3' and 250+)....Soooooo we are heading for the far side of the lake, and we are in a hurry, as usual. I hit the gas and we're off...for about 100 feet, the innertube flips over, grabs the water and acts like a parachute on a dragster. Now, with the rope stratigically placed under our "parts" we are yanked off the ski rather rudely and ALMOST...ALMOST lose our dangly down parts...both of them. luckily for us the rope burn was quickly extinguished by lake water but to this day we both have matching rope burn in a most interesting place, and the nylon trunks we were wearing "melted" right down the middle. and you know the first words out of Screams mouth...Dammit, my cigarettes got wet!!! Glad he quit smoking;)

Mandelon
05-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Gotta watch those out for those dangly down parts.....:eek:

Waldo
05-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Went down in a boat in front of Roadrunner (1995). Spring Break, too many drunks in a boat + bad weather = trouble. I count my bleesings everyday!

shueman
05-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Some years ago, Mcintyre in Blythe was our spot. You could go south of the camp and not see a boat for hours. We'd just float, ski, and party.
Well, the gas gauge must have locked/quit, 'cause we were bone dry on both tanks. Had to use a ski rope and pull the damm boat MILES up river.
Finally somebody came by and tow'd us back up to Mc. Tp tjos day, I NEVER have less than 1/2 tank..!!!

hoolign
05-29-2004, 08:28 PM
this is the worst, runner up is a piclke fork in kelowna(that is still there) that sunk after slowing down way to fast ,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/433F1150013-med.jpg

gigamurph
05-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Memorial day, 1980 at Crazy Horse! 'nuff said!:yuk: That's why it doesn't bother me bein' at home this weekend.:cool:

Tom Brown
05-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by hoolign
this is the worst
"I was checking the hydrostatic pressure on the fuel rail when..."

hoolign
05-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
"I was checking the hydrostatic pressure on the fuel rail when..."
yeah yeah yeah....and all of a sudden...ka f ucking pow:D

OGShocker
05-29-2004, 09:22 PM
I ran out of beer once.

Beautiful Noise
05-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Hmmmmmmmm I dont think Ive ever had a Bad Day of Boating:confused: :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/29Parker_Sunken_Boat_2-med.jpg

Cheap Thrills
05-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by hoolign
yeah yeah yeah....and all of a sudden...ka f ucking pow:D
Thats better than a BOOM ! :p

DansBlown73Nordic
05-30-2004, 02:37 AM
About three years ago in May a friend calls me and says lets go to the river for a boat ride. So I say sure lets go. So we take two boats. My 66 Stevens and his Jet boat.
So we ride up the river a little ways and everything is great. Then I have this great Idea. Since the water is way up we will go down stream. Where we can never go because of the water depth. Its spring and the river is way higher then normal...:rolleyes:
So im just putting along. I hit bottom. So I try to push the boat off these rocks, but because the water is so Hi and the current is so swift. It pushes me up on this Island. So now it starts to get dark. I have been in the water for about an hour trying to get the boat pushed off the rocks. The water is about 50 deg. Im freezing my ASS OFF. The water on either side of me is like at the top of Niagra Falls....:eek:
So my buddy who has tried several times to swim out to me finally calls 911. The rescue sqaud shows up. They bring a row boat with a motor. They come out to me. The guy says I will hook up to you and pull your boat off of here. So he hooks the rope and the next thing I know the rescue boat stands straight up in the air. It fills full of water because of the huge current.
One firemen is thrown into the water and the current pulls him under water. The other guy stays with the boat and I untie him and he floats away.
Finally a guy with a rowing skiff comes out and picks me up. The next day I had to hook my pick-up on the boat and pull it off the rocks....:mad:
So the Moral of the story is Never go boating in MAY....:p

HammerDown
05-30-2004, 03:54 AM
The sound of a exhaust valve droping a 3000 rpm. Yep that was about the worst!:frown:

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Worst boating experience? Being boatless at Havasu last weekend.:yuk:

Cas
05-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Again, it wasn't while I was boating but bad none the less.
A bunch of us were on our annual "golf" tourney weekend back in 1978 - a bunch of guys from high school would get together once a year at a place called Hidden Valley near Clear Lake CA.
Anyway, I met this gal at this bar in Lower Lake and we hit it off pretty well. She was there visiting some friends and was going to be heading out the next day to go back home. After a few drinks, some dancing and a bunch of small talk, we decided to go get a room in the attached motel- damn, none left. We just started walking and realized this place also had a dock with a bunch of slips filled with boats.
Hmmmm, could be fun, something new.....yea, let's do it on a stranger's boat. Found a really cool boat that was about 21' or so with a little cuddy cabin............turned out to be the biggest disappointment. Talk about a dead fish, jeez....c'mon girl, at least act alive!

JetBoatRich
05-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Kinda slow here so how about a story thread?
What was your worst boating experience?
I figured for you, it was when the tour boat came by and .........:( witnessed your short coming;)

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 07:45 AM
There's a difference, between my short coming and my fast coming. :rolleyes: :D

LUVNLIFE
05-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Richard is that like that saying " it's not that long but it's not that big around either."

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 08:37 AM
May not hit the bottom, but it can bang the sides real good?? :confused:

dmontzsta
05-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Too many, when we first go this boat it was a HEAP. After many times going out and breaking things getting towed in one, two or three times a day we finally have it down to where it produces good boating fun. :)

Prop Rod
05-30-2004, 09:04 AM
we were out on Castiac Lake for a quick test before the river trip. Obviously ducks cant fly faster than 80 mph, i hit that poor thing right about at the CF#'s on the boat, keep in mind i'm in a 19' Hallet. The worst thing was i had my wife and sister-in-law with me. They were in pretty good spirits despite the mess.
I guess you can say the last thing that went through the ducks mind was his a$$ !!??

BarryMac
05-30-2004, 09:07 AM
May not hit the bottom, but it can bang the sides real good?? :confused:
It's built like a Tuna can huhhh??? :D

seho
05-30-2004, 09:25 AM
I have to say thanks, 'Cheap Thrills'.......I read your post and the more I got that mental image of you fighting off flaming debris and then having some over zealous 'help' clank a fire extinguisher off your noggin' has given me the giggles that I think I may have the rest of the day. Sorry it happened but shit thats a great story! LMFAO

Krazy K
05-30-2004, 10:49 AM
March 1994
Some friends and I were out at the river for bout 3 days. I had towed my friends bro-in-law's 17' Tahiti w/ a V6 outboard behind my truck. Ended up going about 20 mph up the grade out of Indio. (it was a Ram50) One day we were up at Sundance and he was tinkering around with the motor when it catches fire. Keep in mind that this guy was manic depressive. He asks me to grab a cup of water from the bar(?) (Hey Dumbass, there's water all around you!) He got it running again, though. As we were leaving the river, one of the welds break on the trailer as we're pulling it out of the water. So then, he blames me for the weld breaking. It was a LONG drive home. Good thing he rode in the other truck both times! I could do nothing right by this guy. I was tense the whole trip. I told my best friend, "Sorry, but no more people I don't know" The only reason I had him come out was because he had the boat.
So not only was it the worst boating experience for me, it was the worst trip for me.

Tom Brown
05-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Krazy K
So not only was it the worst boating experience for me, it was the worst trip for me.
That guy is a genius. This is the correct way to handle things when someone invites you out just because you own a boat. The key is to make sure they have a lousy time, keep the drama and tension high, and if they don't kick in for beer and/or fuel, find some damage on the boat or trailer and blame it on the freeloaders.

Krazy K
05-30-2004, 11:14 AM
That guy is a genius. This is the correct way to handle things when someone invites you out just because you own a boat. The key is to make sure they have a lousy time, keep the drama and tension high, and if they don't kick in for beer and/or fuel, find some damage on the boat or trailer and blame it on the freeloaders.
We stayed at our house and I had invited my best friend and cousin and her husband. My friend told me his bro in law had a boat and could he come out. I said sure as the only other time I had seen his b i l was at his wedding the year before. He wasn't thankful at all during the whole trip and everybody had chipped in some cash for the trip. No freeloading on my trip!! I was too much of a "nice guy" back then. If it happened now, I'd tell him to find some one else to tow his f***ing boat home. It took twice as much gas to tow that thing!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-30-2004, 11:20 AM
we have had no bad experiences yet except for the lake lice cutting us off all the time and not watching where they are going. :mad: :mad:

gigamurph
05-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Beautiful Noise
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/29Parker_Sunken_Boat_2-med.jpg Yo Steve! Are you an optimist or pessimist? In other words; is your boat half-full or half-empty?:p Everytime I see that pic, I get a kick outta what seems to be your "I meant to do that!" attitude.:D

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by gigamurph
Yo Steve! Are you an optimist or pessimist? In other words; is your boat half-full or half-empty?:p Everytime I see that pic, I get a kick outta what seems to be your "I meant to do that!" attitude.:D That's a great observation gig. :D

ESB
05-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I was about 12-13 years old and went out with my dad, his boss and his wife.
THis guy didnt know shit about boats and had just baught a center console boat and wanted to go ride down the river and hit the Port of Houston Ship Channel.
1.He drove on the wrong side of markers and we got hung on a sand bar. A big deep V boat came and pulled us off.
2. Then we ran out of gas. My dad said "Its cool, you got a 2nd tank like I told you to get right? " Boss,"UM nope"
3. So the three of us are swimming pulling this boat while wife stears it. We see a guy mowing his lawn and buy 1 gallon of gas from him and make NOT VERY FAR DOWN RIVER
4. So we are swiming again and someone finaly gives us a tow to a marina with gas.
That was the last time me or my father ever went out with him in that boat.
Not long after that the guy didnt use the lock my dad gave him for the hitch. Trailer comes off swings under his CADY hits cars fuel tank and burns boat and car to the ground.

Kim Hanson
05-30-2004, 11:38 AM
It was leaving my boat at my brother inlaws cabin and going to town for a couple hrs. A storm came up and he sank my lower unit deep into the gravel bottom and when we came to go boating later I made it about 200 yards and it overheated the engine and I baked it. :cool: ......( . )( . )..........:rolleyes: It had plugged my low water pick-up.

Cheap Thrills
05-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey aint thet thar one uv dem wet jets I ben herin bout ? I herd dems real fun :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-30-2004, 12:45 PM
:eek: :eek: that is a very bad day..

Krazy K
05-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ESB
I was about 12-13 years old and went out with my dad, his boss and his wife.
THis guy didnt know shit about boats and had just baught a center console boat and wanted to go ride down the river and hit the Port of Houston Ship Channel.
1.He drove on the wrong side of markers and we got hung on a sand bar. A big deep V boat came and pulled us off.
2. Then we ran out of gas. My dad said "Its cool, you got a 2nd tank like I told you to get right? " Boss,"UM nope"
3. So the three of us are swimming pulling this boat while wife stears it. We see a guy mowing his lawn and buy 1 gallon of gas from him and make NOT VERY FAR DOWN RIVER
4. So we are swiming again and someone finaly gives us a tow to a marina with gas.
That was the last time me or my father ever went out with him in that boat.
Not long after that the guy didnt use the lock my dad gave him for the hitch. Trailer comes off swings under his CADY hits cars fuel tank and burns boat and car to the ground.
Serves him right!
Why is it that people who have never owned or operated a boat suddenly decide to get one? FIRST THING the person should do is take a boating course. We have it set up here in Oregon that any person DRIVING a boat (doesn't have to be his/hers) on Oregons waterways needs to have a Boater Education card on hand. I've grown up around boats and I have yet to pass it.

SANGER-RICH
05-30-2004, 01:55 PM
A bad day on the water beats a good day at work anytime :D :D :D

Tom Brown
05-30-2004, 02:45 PM
We stayed at our house and I had invited my best friend and cousin and her husband. My friend told me his bro in law had a boat and could he come out. I said sure as the only other time I had seen his b i l was at his wedding the year before. He wasn't thankful at all during the whole trip and everybody had chipped in some cash for the trip. No freeloading on my trip!! I was too much of a "nice guy" back then. If it happened now, I'd tell him to find some one else to tow his f***ing boat home. It took twice as much gas to tow that thing!
It's not as funny, the way you tell it. :(

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
I dont know if i can top C.T. but a few years ago Scream and I went out to silverwood for our everyother weekend outing with the sea doos. We loaded up the girls at the dock with coolers and kids on his seadoo, and Scream and I hopped on my seadoo to head out to our cove, in tow was a very large innertube and a chair or two. On the way out my hands were getting tired from holding the rope that was towing the innertube and he was busy smoking. So, we decided to put the rope on the seat and sit on it (we're both 6'3' and 250+)....Soooooo we are heading for the far side of the lake, and we are in a hurry, as usual. I hit the gas and we're off...for about 100 feet, the innertube flips over, grabs the water and acts like a parachute on a dragster. Now, with the rope stratigically placed under our "parts" we are yanked off the ski rather rudely and ALMOST...ALMOST lose our dangly down parts...both of them. luckily for us the rope burn was quickly extinguished by lake water but to this day we both have matching rope burn in a most interesting place, and the nylon trunks we were wearing "melted" right down the middle. and you know the first words out of Screams mouth...Dammit, my cigarettes got wet!!! Glad he quit smoking;)
A similar thing happened to us! We had a tube tied to ski tow. Rope was curled up on the floor and up the center to the open bow. Tube was wedged in front(or so we thought). Hit about 50 mph...tube goes flying up and rope looks like something in the movies........tube buries itself in the water, rope rips left side and center windshield off and the safety glass explodes. Aluminum frame on upper windshield flies back and gashes my g/f in forehead. She's bleeding, kids screaming, glass ALL over boat floor and seats, cut feet etc. It was amazing the force the tube dug into the water with. Lesson learned. Had to buy complete wraparound windshield to get the left side and center glass- $800.

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Next one was ten years ago, we were cruising along at 45mph or so and "thump". Guy in back seat says he saw something like a prop blade come off. Shut down motor and hit trim up. Motor just goes zing and spools down like a drill. I rush to the back and look for damage. Alpha outdrive is COMPLETELY gone. Open hatch, water pouring in driveline hole 2" in diameter. Some "quick" calculations with a 5/8 bilge pump hose and we are in trouble!!!:rolleyes: Took out some old wood oars, one snaps off(rotten). 3 of us decide whether or not to swim. Put life jackets on but stay with boat cuz water was cold and current was taking us quickly toward dock. Boat coming out of dock throws us a line, we pull it up on concrete ramp as back end goes under. Oil and gas all over water surface, had to slowly winch boat on trailer as it had completely submerged back half.
Only thing on back was trim cylinder hoses ripped in two, and the exhaust hose dangling out. Funny part was some guy asked us if it was a pump boat and he was serious. :D Looked like the Terminator arm :o

ESB
05-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Serves him right!
HAHAHAHA, yeah it does.
THe people in back seat of car sall the red glow from the flames and said to pull over. He said "No thats just the breaklights reflecting off the boat"
To this day that guy has never purchased another boat.
A bad day on the water beats a good day at work anytime Smartest thing ive herd all day

Krazy K
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
It's not as funny, the way you tell it. :(
I'm sorry, Tom!!:D :D :D

King on the River
05-30-2004, 06:42 PM
I've got a doozie.
About 7 years ago, my second season out on my boat, we head out to meet some family in Parker. First I got a ticket on the way out for speeding and having my trailer still registered in AZ. That was the best part of the weekend.... Im at havasu, launched from take off point pulling my wife skiing. As I pull the boat around to pick her up I stop to idle then I go to pull away and nothing but a rev of the engine. oops I just lost my $500 SS bronson hill prop to the bottom of the lake (use plenty of lock tight now). So luckily I still have my alum prop in my van as backup. So some friends tow me back to take off point and my uncle goes to my van to retreive my prop to enjoy the rest of the day (as much as possible). Whell later we find out he forgets to lock it back up as everything in it was stolen upon returning. My wifes D&B purse, CC's, some $, TV /VCR, Stereo, Skiis, kneeboard. That was my weekend from hell. Probably the my worst, even though i've had bad others. I think that anyone who has been boating for a while has to have a horror story or two. It's how we learn, and it makes experienced boaters stronger while filtering out the weak ones. Luckily I've had enough great times on the water to more than make up for the bad ones.... Sitting in that cove as the sun is setting and the sky turns gold and the peaceful glasslike water reflects it... just talking about it gets me all excited.
May you all have that feeling .....
Free4all

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 07:27 PM
The next year we went back with the same people but stayed at the Avi instead. We had the same guy in the skis as we did when I jammed the starter into the flywheel the year before. We were floating just past the bridge there at Avi while he got set up. I get the thumbs up and away we go.........clank!!! WTF?!?! I bust most of one blade of the prop off on a big rock and ding up the other two pretty bad. We limp back to the beach and spent the rest of the day getting drunk on the sand. :(
I'm thinking this guy is bad luck, cuz these are the only two mis-adventures I've had. I broke off a piece of the prop and drilled a hole in it, strung it up and gave it to him as a necklace to wear.
That fokker is cursed I tell you, cursed. :mad: :) His name is David Knox and he is a waiter at the Marine Room in La Jolla. I haven't seen him in 10 years but don't let him near your boat!!:D

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:00 PM
mine was probably the time I jumped off the swim step and hit the prop, severing several tendons in my knee.
But out on the water as far as running gear, I was at the lake in my old carrera knock off Marlin Cobra, not long after I had put the IMCO manifolds on the engine. Somehow, when I stopped I got water in one cylinder and hydrauliced the engine. I just had to sit and drift for a while and later started the motor and got underway.
I later found that one of the gaskets between the manifolds and risers were leaking, dumping water back in the engine. I fixed that and never had the problem again.

little rowe boat
05-30-2004, 08:04 PM
It was the second season in our boat and we had about 11 peeps with us on this particular trip out and one of my friends and his wife invited there next door neighbor to come on out with them because they felt sorry for him,well anyway we were pulling out of one of the slips at Havasu landing and I look up and this guy,we will call him Chuck is still standing on the dock,before I can nose in to pick him up he has a running start and is air born lands feet first on my port bow rail,one foot slip and puts a nasty ass scratch in the gel coat so now my bow rail is bent and I have this scratch that seems so deep that Im thinking I will never be able to get it out.I ask him if he is alright and he says he is,then I ask him what he was thinking and he says he wasn't and I say well that was pretty obvious that you weren't thinking, I then proceeded to call him a f-ing half wit.My friends wife and the other wives and girlfriends were all pissed off at me for calling this guy a f-ing half wit that they were going to leave without so much as a word,but one of my friends said know way they would not leave without informing me and my wife,so they told me why they were leaving and left the next morning. I must say I felt pretty shitty.

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
we have had no bad experiences yet except for the lake lice cutting us off all the time and not watching where they are going. :mad: :mad:
Sorry I'll try to do better.......;)

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
It was the second season in our boat and we had about 11 peeps with us on this particular trip out and one of my friends and his wife invited there next door neighbor to come on out with them because they felt sorry for him,well anyway we were pulling out of one of the slips at Havasu landing and I look up and this guy,we will call him Chuck is still standing on the dock,before I can nose in to pick him up he has a running start and is air born lands feet first on my port bow rail,one foot slip and puts a nasty ass scratch in the gel coat so now my bow rail is bent and I have this scratch that seems so deep that Im thinking I will never be able to get it out.I ask him if he is alright and he says he is,then I ask him what he was thinking and he says he wasn't and I say well that was pretty obvious that you weren't thinking, I then proceeded to call him a f-ing half wit.My friends wife and the other wives and girlfriends were all pissed off at me for calling this guy a f-ing half wit that they were going to leave without so much as a word,but one of my friends said know way they would not leave without informing me and my wife,so they told me why they were leaving and left the next morning. I must say I felt pretty shitty.
I hope halfwit offered to pay...........

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:42 PM
At least half........:D

little rowe boat
05-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Yah a couple of weeks later he offered,but I had already taken care of it so I declined his offer.

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Good to hear, but if he's spoke right up the trip would have been saved.

little rowe boat
05-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Good to hear, but if he's spoke right up the trip would have been saved.
Probably,you know what the kicker is,other than myself he was the only other sober person on the boat.

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 08:54 PM
You should have gunned it in reverse.....:D

little rowe boat
05-30-2004, 08:56 PM
You should have gunned it in reverse.....:D
I couldn't react fast enough,even though it seemed like it was in slow motion.

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:59 PM
the kicker is,other than myself he was the only other sober person on the boat.
Him being sober only means he couldn't blame his stupidity on alcohol.......

little rowe boat
05-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Him being sober only means he couldn't blame his stupidity on alcohol.......
True,but the bottom line is that I overeacted.

Mandelon
05-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I can picture it like a scene from a movie.....here he comes, three big steps then a leap........You: NNNNooooOOoooOoOOOOOooooOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Wham! The close up on the rail bending and his golf spike shoes scratching across the deck...................:( :( :( :D

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 09:02 PM
I've done that before too.... don't feel like the lone ranger... like the time when my sons friend dropped a cigarette butt on the gelcoat (unknowingly) and it burned down to the filter right next to the gas cap......:mad:

ESB
05-30-2004, 09:45 PM
If you think that was over reacting then you are a better man than I. What you did seems calm by my standerds.
HOw old was this guy?

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 12:57 AM
I can picture it like a scene from a movie.....here he comes, three big steps then a leap........You: NNNNooooOOoooOoOOOOOooooOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Wham! The close up on the rail bending and his golf spike shoes scratching across the deck...................:( :( :( :D
Like fingernails across a chalk board :eek:

Laveyman
05-31-2004, 05:17 AM
My first boat was a 1976 Century Raven 190. I was out with my exwife and a buddy fishing on Huntington Flats. The waters started out nice and calm. But, as is typical, by mid-afternoon the wind came up and the channel was NASTY. We had been drifting and just killing the sand bass all day. By the time we called it a day, the swells were 5-6 feet, and we had drifted about ten miles south of Huntington Harbor. We went nice and slow as we had to drive all ten miles into the oncomming swells. As we were about a mile out of the harbor, we took an entire swell over the top of the boat. We got soaked, but all was good, or so we thought...
As soon as we enter the harbor and get to the no wake zone, I cut back on the throttle. No sooner did I do this and the engine dies! No matter what I tried, it would not restart. To make things worse, the strong winds were blowing us right at the breakwater! :eek: No problem I think...Just toss over the anchor, right? I learned then why to put chain on a Danforth anchor. The fast drift of the boat wouldn't let the anchor settle to the bottom. It just sailed through the water as we neared the rocks. We now have life jackets on, and there's not a boat in sight, anywhere, and I didn't have a VHF radio either. (Stupid!) When the transom of the boat gets about ten feet from the rocks, the anchor hits bottom and thank God it holds!!!
So, there we are...dangling ever so close to the rocks, and for the next 40 minutes not a boat came by. The only person who came by was a Military Police Officer who drove up the breakwater to tell us we must pull up our anchor or be arrested. It seems it is illegal to anchor inside the harbor as it is a working military harbor. I explained to him our problem, but he didn't care. Pull it up or be arrested. I explain that I can either leave the anchor down, or I can pull it up and have my boat possibly blow up on the rocks. "Which would you prefer, Officer", I ask him. "Me here safely anchored, or a nice big black mushroom cloud and these big barges all exploding around us." He now saw the logic in my wanting to stay put, but wouldn't call the Harbor Patrol to help us! Friggin' a$$hole!!! :mad:
About ten minutes later a blowboter came by and call the Harbor Patrol for us. They were very kind and towed us in for free. It turned out the wave soaked the ballast resistor on top of the motor, which caused the electrical system to completely shut down.
I learned a lot about what is needed on a boat that day. :cool:

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
It turned out the wave soaked the ballast resistor on top of the motor, which caused the electrical system to completely shut down.
I learned a lot about what is needed on a boat that day. :cool:
that sounds scary . Ive had the same thing happen with the ballast resistor . heres what usually happens.
The ballast resistor is wire, wound around a non conductive core in a spiral ,
like an electric heater.
It reduces the voltage to the ignition by turning that excess power into heat . the ceramic can get hot enough to burn the pizazzles out of ya , and when water hits that hot ceramic it breaks leaving no medium for that excess voltage which is now heat to dissipate to . Thus the wire burns in two and opens the circut .
I found that If you mount it to a finned heat sink like one out of a stereo amplifier or just a metal plate. dont use the metal tab thats usually on the resistor make a couple of straps and strap it down so that no air is between the resistor and the heatsink.
Once its mounted firmly to the heatsink cover the remaining portion with high temp silicone it will run much cooler and water resistant
I don't know why I've sat here ad spilled all that out it just seemed like the thing to do :p
Have a great day . I'm going to go work on my boat .
Peace

Laveyman
05-31-2004, 05:59 AM
I later found ou that I could have used a jumper wire to bypass the resistor and kept on cruising. The only thing that would have happened was I would have fried the points, but would have made it home.

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
I later found ou that I could have used a jumper wire to bypass the resistor and kept on cruising. The only thing that would have happened was I would have fried the points, but would have made it home.
Ive had ignition coils actually swell up , split , dump their thermal medium (oil) and release their magic smoke . by not using one . if I was out stranded due to a cooked ballast resistor you can bet your sweet bippy I'd be doing the bypass thing too along with a prayer or two . :D
OK I'm really going to go work on my boat this time . unless I find another interesting thread to entertain myself with . :p

Sherpa
05-31-2004, 06:19 AM
not very many "bad" experiences, but here are a few of "those" days...
Once at Shasta during memorial day weekend, it rained almost
the whole time. I brought 5 cases of beer for just 3 people.
I also was just "learning" the use of dried ice..... yup, 3 cases
of beer frozen, 10 pounds of steak too. after the dried ice was
gone, I put the remaining 2 cases in the cooler to chill. yup, they
froze too. skiing wasn't much better, it was raining.... it felt like
skiing thru a sand blaster...
one afternoon on the delta, on Bethel Island, my buddy and I
decide the weather was so nice for a ride. mind you, it's in late
april. shorts and t shirts......... fuel pump died about 10 miles from
home. we had to swim the boat about 1/2 mile to a resort, then
about 10pm, the tow boat guy comes and tows us back home.
I was soooooo cold...
all of my own boat experiences were good to date....
--Sherpa

mmered8299
05-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Years ago our family and another were camping in Havasu. One morning before breakfast we go for a ski and take John (the father of the other family and rocket scientist for Hughes) cuts the tip of his finger off when his hand hit the ski while trying to get up. After dropping him off at the marina so he can go to the hospital we head back to camp late for breakfast. Johns wife and rest of the family notice that he is not in the boat an all get up from there chairs as Johns 10yr old son, who was with us, yells out, “Dad lost his finger!” My dad bout smacked him in the head as he tried to explain to the wife that is wasn’t that bad.
Well later that night, after diner and settling down for bed, John was f**ked up! He had been drinking and taking his pain pills since we pick him up from the hospital. He kept rolling out of his cot while singing “The bear went over the Mountain.” Finally my dad took two of his sons and their cots and placed them on both sides of John so he wouldn’t roll out. But he still sang all night long

ahhell
05-31-2004, 06:50 AM
but my friends dad took out a first timer for a day of boating, and at the end of the day the dad was in the boat packin up and his friend grabs the large ice chest out of the sand, puts on the bow and gives a big push to the windshield...i think he's still rubbing out scratches:eek: :cry: :burningm:

Laveyman
05-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ahhell
but my friends dad took out a first timer for a day of boating, and at the end of the day the dad was in the boat packin up and his friend grabs the large ice chest out of the sand, puts on the bow and gives a big push to the windshield...i think he's still rubbing out scratches:eek: :cry: :burningm:
Ready on the left...Ready on the right...ALL READY ON THE FIRING LINE!!!

little rowe boat
05-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I've done that before too.... don't feel like the lone ranger... like the time when my sons friend dropped a cigarette butt on the gelcoat (unknowingly) and it burned down to the filter right next to the gas cap......:mad:
I have had people do things since that incident and now I just chalk it up to experience.

little rowe boat
05-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ESB
If you think that was over reacting then you are a better man than I. What you did seems calm by my standerds.
HOw old was this guy?
I think at the time he was in his early thirties.

Some Kind Of Monster
05-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by mmered8299
cuts the tip of his finger off when his hand hit the ski while trying to get up.
I had a bad experience like this. I smacked my fingers on my ski while trying to get up and I know I must have broken 3 of them. I was out skiing later that day. Good times.