PDA

View Full Version : removing freeze plugs on 455 Olds

19Kona
05-30-2004, 11:00 AM
ok, I have been reading about blocks filling with sand and want to look at mine. How do I get my freeze plugs out? And, do they make the rubber removable type for my motor? What model brand etc.. is good?
Thank you in advance.
P.S. I have logs so the water enters those before going into the motor, but I did run headers for 2 summers.

Checkmate
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Hammer and screwdriver. I am sure they have the ones you want.

King Kuracz
05-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Beat on it at the top with a hammer and punch. When the top part starts to get pounded into the block it will pivot in the middle and the lower half will stick out. Wiggle it out with a channellocks. Squeeze the sides of the plug in a little if it gives you grief.

wet77
05-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Nappa, Carquest, allcar, autozone.........
They should all have them, just look on the plugs you are taking out and see if you can read the number on it 1 1/2, 1 5/8
Good luck:D

19Kona
05-31-2004, 07:10 AM
Thank you.

kp216
05-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by King Kuracz
Beat on it at the top with a hammer and punch. When the top part starts to get pounded into the block it will pivot in the middle and the lower half will stick out. Wiggle it out with a channellocks. Squeeze the sides of the plug in a little if it gives you grief.
Yup, that's what they're supposed to do, but mine sure didn't;) Every single one of mine went into the block. Luckily though, I was able to reach in with my fingers, lift them up to the hole and grab on with a pair of vice grips to yank'em out.
I didn't put rubber ones in either. I went with brass.

King Kuracz
06-02-2004, 05:40 AM
I've also heard of people drilling a hole in them and using a dent puller to yank them out. Doubt there would be enough room in most of our boats to do that while the engine is in the boat, but heres a thought.
Why not drill a small hole in the middle of the plug and use a sheet metal screw to attach a short piece of wire with a ring terminal. That way if it did fall in you could pull it back up to the hole and get a second chance to figure out how to remove it.
Just a thought.......