PDA

View Full Version : Sand in my block...& starter question

Checkmate
05-30-2004, 06:20 PM
So as I am rebuilding my pump I notice that the engine is very hard to start. Like the battery is dead, but I know it's not. Even w/ a 225 amp jumpstarter, it turns over slowly and heats up the batt wires. Sooo, I decide to pull the motor and swap starters, plus I will be able to put the new thrust bearing and seals in while I am at it. After the engine is out I notice 2 freeze plugs on the bottom of the boat. I check the engine and sure enough, 2 blew out and the 3rd is half out. The first two I got about 10 teaspoons of sand out of them. The third hole was filled 3/4 to the top w/ sand. Guess I will have to flush this engine every few times out.
As for the starter, it was only 3 yrs old, but I took it to have it tested and it blew the breaker on the guys machine. I bought a new one, but was wondering. Where can I find one that bolts to the top of the bellhousing? Mine has a mounting place on top and bottom. The same starter will bolt up both places, but if I install it on top it will not be rotating the right way. I think the reason the last one crapped out was from being submerged in water too many times.

Checkmate
05-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Ya know, not ALL of us are from CA. SOME of us only get to play a few months out of the year. The boat never filled with water because it was sitting in my garage.:D
Lucky for me I pulled the engine or it would have been BAD. Hoping to hit the water this week.

DansBlown73Nordic
05-31-2004, 05:28 AM
Did the motor freeze ????:confused:

Checkmate
05-31-2004, 05:53 AM
I am assuming that when I winterized it, for some reason I did not get all the water out of the one side of the engine. The plugs only pushed out of one side. The whole engine was rebuilt 2 years ago and the plugs were new so I am not really worried about it becasue I am sure they popped right out like they were supposed to. Not too worried about any cracks.

MANIC MECHANIC
05-31-2004, 06:14 AM
If your block was full of sand, the sand would retain a lot of the water that you were trying to drain...THUS your "drained" block DID freeze.
Tim

cruser
06-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Which is why i put about a gallon of antifreeze in mine as part of my winterizing process.
cruzer