PDA

View Full Version : Who has a funny Boatcop story to tell... (Not Alan, just a floating Gendarme)

Dr. Eagle
05-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I was out on the Sacramento River early in the season one year. I had some people from work out with me so there were 7 people in my boat. The cop hailed us and told us to put it in neutral.
I complied and they did a "safety check". He asked for 7 life jackets, we produced 14. He asked for a throw cushion.. we produced 2. He asked for a fire extinguisher, we showed him the Halon system and 2 fire extinguishers, then I started pulling out the flares, distress flags, flashlights, VHF radios, Cell Phones... etc.
One of the guys was laughing his ass off and hitting the other guy in the arm. Finally he looked at his partner and said "Looks like you lost that bet"...:D

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I was out on the Sacramento River early in the season one year. I had some people from work out with me so there were 7 people in my boat. The cop hailed us and told us to put it in neutral.
I complied and they did a "safety check". He asked for 7 life jackets, we produced 14. He asked for a throw cushion.. we produced 2. He asked for a fire extinguisher, we showed him the Halon system and 2 fire extinguishers, then I started pulling out the flares, distress flags, flashlights, VHF radios, Cell Phones... etc.
One of the guys was laughing his ass off and hitting the other guy in the arm. Finally he looked at his partner and said "Looks like you lost that bet"...:D Sounds like you're typical sasuage-fest.:yuk: :D

Checkmate
05-31-2004, 05:37 AM
City cop got boat detail the weekend we were out testing my new carb. Anyway, I was romping it a bit, but slowed down by the ramps, came around a corner and saw the marine patrol had a guy pulled over. I decided to slowly turn around to avoid an incident and sure enough they followed.
First thing was the one cop got on the speaker and told me that my daughter (then 6) was required to wear a life jacket. I told him she was and he said. "have her stand up." I said "not until we stop !!" He waves us to dock and we do. He checks the usual stuff and tries to ticket me for my blower not being hooked up properly. I told him it was an open engine and that it was not required. He looked at me funny and noted that on the warning. He gave me a ticket for the no wake, Because he "heard" me going fast (never saw me though) He was being a real dickhead and as I was waiting he pulled two other boats over for wake that weren't even going fast. I started talking to one of the guys he pulled over and the cop got pissed., Then I told him it was freedom of speach and I will talk to whoever the F**** I want to. Then he gets in my face w/ his dark sunglasses on (shady day). I said, Ohh don't we think we are cool today. Well the wife had to get between us and he was threatening arrest so luckily it ended. I backed the trailer down the hil;l and hooked the boat up. The funny thing was that for some reason when I pulled out, BOTH tires smoked all the way up the ramp. Too bad that pig was in his boat now huh.:yuk:

boxscore
05-31-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Checkmate
City cop got boat detail the weekend we were out testing my new carb. Anyway, I was romping it a bit, but slowed down by the ramps, came around a corner and saw the marine patrol had a guy pulled over. I decided to slowly turn around to avoid an incident and sure enough they followed.
First thing was the one cop got on the speaker and told me that my daughter (then 6) was required to wear a life jacket. I told him she was and he said. "have her stand up." I said "not until we stop !!" He waves us to dock and we do. He checks the usual stuff and tries to ticket me for my blower not being hooked up properly. I told him it was an open engine and that it was not required. He looked at me funny and noted that on the warning. He gave me a ticket for the no wake, Because he "heard" me going fast (never saw me though) He was being a real dickhead and as I was waiting he pulled two other boats over for wake that weren't even going fast. I started talking to one of the guys he pulled over and the cop got pissed., Then I told him it was freedom of speach and I will talk to whoever the F**** I want to. Then he gets in my face w/ his dark sunglasses on (shady day). I said, Ohh don't we think we are cool today. Well the wife had to get between us and he was threatening arrest so luckily it ended. I backed the trailer down the hil;l and hooked the boat up. The funny thing was that for some reason when I pulled out, BOTH tires smoked all the way up the ramp. Too bad that pig was in his boat now huh.:yuk:
Sounds cool like a cool story and all (I guess), but this little experience was all taken in by your 6 y/o? Glad the wife seperated you and the cop. Not good for a child to see daddy and boatcop mix it up, not to mention F bombs thrown around.

HM
05-31-2004, 07:53 AM
I was at Havasu in Copper Canyon (about 10 years ago). Was a mellow day at Copper because the sandbar was just taking off. But, still had naked people jumping from the rocks. Anyway, I have 3 of my buddies with me, 2 of which are pretty loaded. We start to pull up anchor, and it is caught a bit. My unloaded buddy jumps up on the bow as we menuever - which it pops free immediately (We were in my Campbell). Well, immediately, AZ police come right up to us and tell me to shut the boat down. Apparently, it is illegal to be "underway" with someone on the bow with no rails. I told him we were freeing the anchor - didn't matter, his next mission was to give me a sobriety test. He has me pull my sunglasses off to check my eyes and comments about how red they are. Asks me how much I had to drink and I say nothing. I ask him if anyone doesn't have red eyes after being in the sun all day, plus I took a nice spill on my wakeboard earlier. Well, there were a few beer cans around in the boat, but I don't drink - so no worries. He then tells me we are going to the pen test (eyes follow pen). Well he puts the pen in front of my nose and leaves it there. After a few seconds, I say "Are we gonna do the test, or are you going to pick my nose?" He says, "I can give you a ticket!" I said, "for what? I don't drink! Perhaps you would like to waste you time on a safety test? Since I won't get a ticket for that, why don't we just go with what you pulled me over for in the first place." He says "Get outa here!" as his buddy in his boat is laughing and shaking his head and gives me the thumbs up as we idle away.
:D :D :D :D

ESB
05-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Once on Labor day we were in a no wake zone crussing past a beach on this river. Well one of my friends decides to moon the people on beach. Well Cop on a waverunner shoots up and when she got close she said
"Damnit, I should have know it was you guys"
See a guy in boat mom, is a cop. Its nice growing up with the law on your side :D
SHe told us to act right and let us go.
ANd another time I was floating around on an icechest full of jello shots and threw some to the lake patrol.
You could tell they wanted them bad but threw them back to me because they said there were to many "eyes" on them.

bilgewiper
05-31-2004, 09:10 AM
A couple of decades ago "Ranger Rick" pulls up to a very crowded sandbar at Lake Clementine to check and collect camping fees. He parks his Wellcraft Patrol boat in between a whole row of boats. One of my prankster friends swims over while Ranger Rick is off doing his duty and lightly shoves his Wellcraft out into the lake. "Prankster" then runs up the sandbar and yells to everybody that the boat is floating away. Ranger comes running over fully dressed and of coarse "Prankster" volunteers to go rescue the Wellcraft and becomes a "Hero".

bilgewiper
05-31-2004, 09:22 AM
A couple of years ago I see smoke from a small fire up on the top of a levee on the Sacramento river. From my vantage point I see that there are fire trucks on the other side of the fire from West Sacramento F.D. So I am bored and start heading for the fire in my boat at a leisurely pace when all of a sudden a Patrol boat fly's by me heading for the fire (he obviously doesnt see all the fire trucks from his vantage point). He beaches his boat hard at the same time he is running off the bow........he does a hard faceplant into the dirt/sand. Shakes himself off and runs up the levee. You guessed it, his stern wake unplants his boat and it starts to float away. I got to be the hero that day. After he came back down the levee he said something to the effect of "I hope you didn't see that did you?" Yea, we had a good laugh. We still wave at each other out on the river.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Sounds like you're typical sasuage-fest.:yuk: :D
Actually ray, no it was my family and my friends family from work. The cops were really funny though.. I saw them sizing us up and then they turned on the light and swooped in... so I am sure the conversation went something like...
Look at that boat... $5 says they don't have enough lifejackets....;)

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by bilgewiper
A couple of decades ago "Ranger Rick" pulls up to a very crowded sandbar at Lake Clementine to check and collect camping fees. He parks his Wellcraft Patrol boat in between a whole row of boats. One of my prankster friends swims over while Ranger Rick is off doing his duty and lightly shoves his Wellcraft out into the lake. "Prankster" then runs up the sandbar and yells to everybody that the boat is floating away. Ranger comes running over fully dressed and of coarse "Prankster" volunteers to go rescue the Wellcraft and becomes a "Hero".
That's funny. I used to camp there all the time.... it was great. Those Rangers are just wannabe Jack Webbs.... LOL

77charger
05-31-2004, 05:39 PM
A while back (7-8 years)We went to copper docked along a house boat partied i drank a few my friend who was sober used my boat to pick someone else up or moved it for some reason.He got stopped for the tags(boat was registered the day before my parents were on their way up there for vac so they were bringin them)Cop does the drill then ask him whos boat he points to the houseboat and to me cop tells me come over to get the fix it ticket.I swim over (he knows i was drinkin) i sign the ticket bla bla bla,I am now excused so i go the deck and jump off cop says aint you going to drive your boat back?I say ya right so you can get me for dui since i was drinkin so i made my friend go back and get the boat.Cop just shook his head.it was about a 100ft swim not too crowded

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:39 PM
[i] Too bad that pig was in his boat now huh.:yuk: [/B]
Bet he had a RADIO though......:p ;)

Krazy K
05-31-2004, 10:02 PM
As I was growing up, we got into a few situations that required a cop showing up at our boat. Probably 60-70% of the time it was just a warning. You see, my dad used to be a cop with the Pasadena Police Dept. and later a parole officer. It's helped out with car tickets too.