PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hold Down Straps

goneboatin
05-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Are rear hold down straps really necessary? I've got a Howard 22 Sport open bow and have looked for a place to hook up the straps, but where they would go, my trim tabs are in the way. I've never had the boat bounce off the trailer bunks. You would think the weight of the engine and the outdrive would keep the back of the boat on the trailer.
Any input?

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I use them. I dont have trim tabs on my 22' Laser. My Zieman trailer has loops made for the hold downs. IMO, you can never oversecure your boat when towing.:cool:

goneboatin
05-30-2004, 09:30 PM
My trailer is an Ellis and has loops for straps, but the trim tabs are in the way

phebus
05-30-2004, 09:32 PM
I would use them not only to keep the boat on the bunks, but also to stop the boat from bouncing up and down on the bunks. Can't be good for the boat or trailer. That said, if you can't use them because of your trim tabs, I would just be that more carefull when towing on rough terrain.

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
My trailer is an Ellis and has loops for straps, but the trim tabs are in the way Can you re-route the straps, or get a set of longer ones?

goneboatin
05-30-2004, 09:39 PM
I've got a full width swim step with brackets on both ends and ones on each side of the outdrive, but the tabs are still in the way to the loops on the trailer. I haven't thought outside the bun yet, as far as adding loops in another location.
Hmmm...there's an idea.

Kilrtoy
05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Always tow with rear and front straps

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 09:41 PM
I've got a full width swim step with brackets on both ends and ones on each side of the outdrive, but the tabs are still in the way to the loops on the trailer. I haven't thought outside the bun yet, as far as adding loops in another location.
Hmmm...there's an idea. Ok, forget about the straps for a second. What about useing short lengths of 3/8" or 1/4" rope?

LASERRAY
05-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Always tow with rear and front straps Front straps? As in your "D" ring?

repo man
05-30-2004, 10:19 PM
i use them, i hook them to the cavitation plate control rod

Kilrtoy
05-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Dont know what it is called, But you hook it to the front of your boat and to your trailer.....

FRENCHIE
05-31-2004, 05:21 AM
probably not necesary, but i use them also! Have to admit i got some realy nice one's from walmart i think called rod savers, they are black and high lbs rating! they work great and were about $20.00;)

Laveyman
05-31-2004, 05:28 AM
What Frenchie said. The Rod Savers at WallyWorld are the shiznit!
Always use rear tie downs! If you ever have to make a severe evasive maneuver when towing, you run a major risk of your boat coming off the trailer if the trailer gets even a little bit sideways. Nothing worse than thinking, WHEW! I was able to miss that dead horse in the road, only to hear your boat going SPLAT on the freeway right next to you. Tie Downs are cheap insurance. Don't tow without them.

Sleek-Jet
05-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Coming back from So-cal with the new boat Friday, I could count the number of boats with rear straps on one hand. Almost no one had the rear of thier boats tied down. :eek:
Like Laveyman and everyone else in this thread has said, it's cheap insurance, and keeps the boat on the trailer.

JetBoatRich
05-31-2004, 05:36 AM
I would find a way to get straps on the back:D better be safe than sorry down the road:eek!: you may not see when driving, but i am sure the boat is bouncing while traveling :yuk: this could be real bad as mentioned by others

Mandelon
05-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Lavey man hit it. Not just to keep the boat down if you hit a mega pothole or railroad tracks.....you swerve to miss it but it catches the trailer wheels while you are turning, boat comes down crooked on the bunks.....then think about this........ what if you rear ended another vehicle that stopped suddenly?
Now you've got this pointy nosed fiberglass projectile sliding into the rear of your vehicle........
Someone could hit you from behind too...........the straps can only help. If its a big vehicle the straps may not do much, but they could literally keep you from losing your head.
:cool:

sidewound
05-31-2004, 06:31 AM
I ALWAYS use the rear straps and it's only blocks to the ramp. I believe they're required by law here.

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2004, 07:01 AM
I was following a big Daytona out of Havasu one time...he hit a bump (with no rear tie-downs) and the whole damn boat came a few inches off the bunks and landed hard.
I imagine smaller boats are worse. Either way. without them, it will be hard on the bunks (let alone the fiberglass).
Also, if the front strap lets go (like in an accident), they will be the only thing keeping the boat on the traler.
I just can't figure out where to put them on the new boat:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74Cig_transom.jpg

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Just remember to take them off before you launch! :D

phebus
05-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I was following a big Daytona out of Havasu one time...he hit a bump (with no rear tie-downs) and the whole damn boat came a few inches off the bunks and landed hard.
I imagine smaller boats are worse. Either way. without them, it will be hard on the bunks (let alone the fiberglass).
Also, if the front strap lets go (like in an accident), they will be the only thing keeping the boat on the traler.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74Cig_transom.jpg
Damn HH, that's a lot of hardware back there!!

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 07:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74Cig_transom.jpg Looks good from the back HH. Congrats! Now can I see the rest of it?:D ( i must have missed the other pics last week ).:cool:

Kachina26
05-31-2004, 07:57 AM
I think California requires them when you tow. If all else fails, run one up from the trailer, through the drive (wish I could draw a pic here) and down to the trailer on the other side of the drive. I don't strap mine when launching, but my storage is a block from the ramp;)

phebus
05-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by sidewound
I ALWAYS use the rear straps and it's only blocks to the ramp. I believe they're required by law here.
Seatbelt laws for boats :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Yeah...looks like twice as much stuff to break as my old boat...
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Now can I see the rest of it?
Here's a pic from the GRASS PAY$ storage unit:
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/the_new_cig.jpg

slink
05-31-2004, 08:19 AM
HH, bet the neighbors love you:D :D Kids on my street would probably use her as a backstop for their baseball games

H20Advantage
05-31-2004, 08:26 AM
CA requires rear tow straps on a boat ( I believe it falls under CVC 29004(a)).
I don't think AZ requires tow straps on the rear of your boat.

ESB
05-31-2004, 08:27 AM
I say figure out something to strap it. Just because it looks like its in same spot dosnt mean it wasnt bouncing around.
Hell Ive seen people put a long strap over the boat between rear axle and end of trailer.

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by slink
HH, bet the neighbors love you:D :D Kids on my street would probably use her as a backstop for their baseball games
Yes...exactly.
Here it is at my house (note the wonderful view the neighbors have now):
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/cig_and_sub.jpg

slink
05-31-2004, 08:43 AM
HH, F'em if they can't take a joke:D I'm sure a few day cruises can make it all better :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
05-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by slink
HH, F'em if they can't take a joke:D I'm sure a few day cruises can make it all better
Yeah...no kidding. When my neighbor came over, the first thing he said was, "so...trying to compensate for something?"
A few minutes later he was sitting in it asking when we were going to Havasu...

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Yes...exactly.
Here it is at my house (note the wonderful view the neighbors have now):
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/cig_and_sub.jpg Thanks HH. She's a beauty.:cool:

little rowe boat
05-31-2004, 10:33 AM
I have a Howard 220 offshore,it never had them and I have never had a prob towing without them. I have looked for a place to put them on but there just any place that will work.

goneboatin
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
I have a Howard 220 offshore,it never had them and I have never had a prob towing without them. I have looked for a place to put them on but there just any place that will work.
That's the problem I've got. The trailer has leaf springs, so it should absorb all, but the most violent bumps.

little rowe boat
06-01-2004, 04:48 PM
That's the problem I've got. The trailer has leaf springs, so it should absorb all, but the most violent bumps.
I have been towing back and forth for 10 seasons with this boat and trailer,the leaf springs do absorb most of the shock from large bumps and ruts and believe me I have hit some pretty big bumps and had to swerve to avoid other vehicles all without a prob.

Havasu Hangin'
06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
All trailers have leaf springs (or torsion bars).
If you guys think your boat isn't bouncing off the trailer without tie-dows...try following it sometime over some rough road.

goneboatin
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't tow off road like the road to Havasu Palms or Black Meadow, the roughest road I tow on is the 10 Freeway through Fontucky. I'm anal about the boat - if the road ain't paved, I'm not pulling the boat over it.

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Looks a lot like my old Eliminator, (w/o checkers of course). I never did tie that boat down for the same reason. Couldn't get from the trailer pad eyes to the transom tie rings without the tabs being in the way.

Propchecker
06-01-2004, 07:39 PM
I stopped in Barstow for gas on the way back from Havasu and noticed the tournament boat I was towing (with straps on) had slid back about a foot on the trailer and the winch was freewheeling. It must have been jarred loose from that roadwork they were doing forever on the 40. If you knew how you could have played those straps like a violin, but they saved a major hassle. I think Kilrtoy is right about the front as well -- if your trailer has only one winch with a hole down low you can put a little strap down from the front. If I'm really close to the ramp I don't use 'em though

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Propchecker
I stopped in Barstow for gas on the way back from Havasu and noticed the tournament boat I was towing (with straps on) had slid back about a foot on the trailer and the winch was freewheeling. It must have been jarred loose from that roadwork they were doing forever on the 40. If you knew how you could have played those straps like a violin, but they saved a major hassle. I think Kilrtoy is right about the front as well -- if your trailer has only one winch with a hole down low you can put a little strap down from the front. If I'm really close to the ramp I don't use 'em though
I used to have a safety strap on the front of my Eliminator. The Ultra has the pinned bar on the front. I don't think it's going anywhere. I do have straps on the back of the Ultra though. It is light enough to bounce and damage the hull...