PDA

View Full Version : how many ~

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 02:51 AM
degrees of up angle do you guys with diverters have to use for a respectable roost without compromising ride ? I'm looking for an average / ballpark figure. reason being I have a neighbor that has a machine shop and I am going up there sometime this week and build a rooster booster for my tub . As you can see in my sig it rides a little wet and I would like to air her out a little bit and get a little roost :p . My drive doesn't have any angle to it at all , 90deg. to the transom .
I don't know if some pumps are laid in with a certain amount of up/down angle , but mine isn't .
any help would be appreciated .
THX
C.T. :wink:

Checkmate
05-31-2004, 05:07 AM
It really depends on the hull and the weight distribution.
I know mine throws on hell of a rosster w/ it all the way up (not sure of angle), but to go fast, I have to drop it a few degrees.

Mandelon
05-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Anytime you put it up it will rob you of power and speed. The roost is only for showing off....but it sure is fun.:D

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm sitting here at the shop desk looking at a protractor trying to visualize what I'm trying to do here . from what pictures Ive seen it looks like place diverters swing in the neighborhood of,
65 deg. to 115 deg. from zero (straight down) +/- ? lock to lock so if I get a general survey of 3 ~ 4 boats that are using a 7 position manual controll I would have a good idea of where to start.
Like if their controlls are set up the same with the lowest setting 1 being 85 deg and highest 7 being 115 deg. that would add up in 6 steps / 7 positions at 5 deg. per step . so if on average they run on notch 5 with good roost and fair ride . that would be 105 deg. from zero . Just thinking out loud so to say .
it helps me if I put my thoughts down on paper err text mode of some sort . anybody seen my printer paper ? :p
Am I the only one that understands me ? :D
yadda yadda yadda
anyhoo Im anxiously awaiting for the experts to tell me to shut F up . and step away from the computer. :D
Peace .

jet4fun
05-31-2004, 12:17 PM
i'm confused :confused: do you own a place diverter and are trying to make you're rooster bigger... or are you trying to get a tall rooster without using some type of diverter
if you dont have a diverter you need to buy one... if you wedge the hell out of youre nozzle without being able to adjust it you arent gonna like it...
first of all you're gonna pop a wheelie when you try to plane out the boat, plus the whole idea is to be able to tune the ride of the boat for different conditions by raising and lowering the diverter. theres gonna be times when you will want to drop it
i would reccomend just buying a diverter and a droop

AmericanThunder1
05-31-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree with jet4fun you need a diverter if you dont have one and everyboat rides different. The diverter is a trim not just the cool rooster tail like for example my boat runs the fastest when the tail is about 4-6 feet above the water line on calm water but I still run full tail most of the time:D :cool:

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by AmericanThunder1
I agree with jet4fun you need a diverter if you dont have one and everyboat rides different. The diverter is a trim not just the cool rooster tail like for example my boat runs the fastest when the tail is about 4-6 feet above the water line on calm water but I still run full tail most of the time:D :cool:
I agree I do need a diverter but the $600 +/ - for a new one isn't going to happen after seeing a few go through here for less than half .
I am merely trying to free up this old girl to get a little more speed she rides the water like a darn field plow if I obtain a little roost to boot while freeing it up all the better I don't want a 75 foot roost all the time with a fixed trim such as a wedge or a rooster booster take off would be a Mo Fo :D
My question is , whats the average amount of upward angle used by a few different people while cruising to give me a ballpark figure to start with . I would almost bet that no one with a diverter ever runs it at 90deg. to the transom except maybe to get up on plane from a stop .
to maybe simplify answering my question instead a degree level . answer could be in relation to the manual controll as in how many notches from 90degrees (straight out) .
my guess would be that with a 7 position manual controll the increment would roughly be 5 degrees per notch so if you you run two notches up from 90 degrees that would put it at 10 deg. of trim or 100 deg. from zero. thats just my best guess because thats all I have to work with .
Jet boats are few and far between here on the east coast .
So , in closing let me rephrase the question .
For those of you running a manually controlled diverter , how many notches does it take to move the nozzle back to being straight out as to where it is while normally cruising on plane ?
Maybe that will generate some input ?
I have almost convinced myself to go ahead and build it with 15 degree of trim to start with , it may be a little too much but it's easier to take some out than it is to put more on. and it's only temporary until I can find a used diverter at a good price .
Anyhoo , thanks for the input .
Have a great evening .
Peace

jet4fun
06-01-2004, 11:20 AM
well if you dont want to run a diverter for now maybe you could find a good deal on a used droop. i dont think just adding wedge to youre nozzle is gonna help much or at all... at least if you used a droop it would lower the thrust angle which should help free up the boat and get it a little out of the water. plus the droops usually have about 3 degrees of up angle built in to them so that could get you a good starting point, and then you can add wedge as you please. i would say add 3 degrees at a time until you like it