PDA

View Full Version : Help, oil pan won't fit

zems
05-31-2004, 07:00 AM
I just put a Mondello oil pan on my 455 Olds to go in a 1975 Glastron CV21 with a Berkeley jet. I have the motor in the boat but the right motor mount will not line up to put the bolt in. It is only lacking by a quarter of an inch. The reason is the oil pan is resting on the bottom of the boat because of the extra width of this oil pan. My qustion is can I space up the motor mounts a quarter to a half an inch to get enough clearance between the oil pan and bottom of the boat or will this cause problems with alignment of the drive on the jet pump. Is it time to pull the motor back out and do some oil pan modification? Any other suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance, Matt

Wet Dream
05-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Shimming the rear motor mounts will change the drive line angle. You can either modify your pan, or perhaps shim front and rear so that you maintain the correct driveline angle. I wouldn't do just the rear.

zems
05-31-2004, 07:47 AM
It has the 3 point mounting system where the rear mount connects directly to the pump. With this I can not shim the rear mount and can only shim the front. If I only shim the front will this cause a problem. Thanks for the reply, Matt

BrendellaJet
05-31-2004, 10:10 AM
The universal joint will allow some misalignment. But if the pan is that close to hitting, Id have the pan modified, or lose the 3 point set up and go to a four point that will allow more adjustment. Dont rush this step though. You could end up with an oil pan that rubs on the hull, cracks the pan and cause leaks, or worse, cracks the hull.

jet4fun
05-31-2004, 12:05 PM
i would say that if you only need to raise the front mounts a quarter inch then i would just do it. like brendella said, the driveline can be misaligned a little bit, and i dont think raising the front of the motor a 1/4 inch is gonna do any harm. after all thats why they use universal joints, just like a car they are supposed to allow for some movement and misalignment... you never know maybe your motor is misaligned now and raising it will alingn it better :rolleyes: