PDA

View Full Version : Safety equipment

phebus
05-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Besides life vests and throw cushions, what additional safety equipment do you river/lake boaters carry on your boat?
Horn, paddle, etc.

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 11:04 AM
All the above and
Fire extinguisher.
a set of Retractable oars with flourescent orange tips
Extra rope
First aid kit.
Extra vital fluids: gear lube, engine oil, PS fluid, Coolant.
Extra Sunscreen
Extra Water
Tool Kit
Extra Beer:D

spectras only
05-31-2004, 11:31 AM
.......and you have to carry min 6 flares .Anchor with min 150' rope, a bailer [ bucket] or manual pump besides the electric bilge pump on over 24 feet.Depthsounder !!!!!!!!!!!!;) :D

phebus
05-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by spectras only
.......and you have to carry min 6 flares
I don't think flares are required if your boating inland lakes, are they? :confused:

boatnam2
05-31-2004, 12:19 PM
same as laserray.

LASERRAY
05-31-2004, 01:27 PM
A manual bilge pump is a good tool also. I'll add that to my list.
And now that I think about it, a spare prop is in order also.
:cool:

boater
05-31-2004, 02:54 PM
when I got my new boat last month they gave me what they called a coast gaurd kit it contained.
1 throw cushion
4 life jackets
1 fire ext.
1 whistle
1 air horn

Mandelon
05-31-2004, 03:04 PM
The flares are dated, make sure they are current.

mickeyfinn
05-31-2004, 04:22 PM
May just be an oversight but no one has mentioned the SUPER SOAKER for the lake lice that get too close.

boater
05-31-2004, 04:33 PM
isn't that what paint ball guns are for

clownpuncher
05-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Good thread to start
I carry......
Pretty much a full tool box - sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc
Remote starter switch
Two extra fan belts - My engine uses two
Extra bulbs for my nav lights
Spray lube
Duct tape
Zip ties
Extra rope
I rigged a tow rope - Phebus, and other firemen, you'll know what I'm talking about when I tell you it's a load equalizing set-up. I'd hook up to both tie down hooks on the back of the boat when towing someone.
Extra rope
Multi tester
A very sharp knife
A 12" drywall saw - in case I suck a rope and need to cut it out
At least one each of every fuse
about five feet of electrical wire - alligator clips
Tiny solder kit
oil
a GOOD flashlight and also a good spot light
(2) two, fire extinguishers, even on my lil 21 footer
First aid kit - I'm sure you can put one together really cheap :D
Got all my boat documents laminated
I'm sure there's a few other little things, but, I'm too lazy to go check
In my truck bed box I also bring a little floor jack to speed things up a little on that 140 degree pavement on rice road
Holy shit, no wonder I can only hit 35 MPH. Hey it's a GPS'd 35 so don't give me any shit :D

clownpuncher
05-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
May just be an oversight but no one has mentioned the SUPER SOAKER for the lake lice that get too close.
Good call. My super soaker comes via berkley :D

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I don't think flares are required if your boating inland lakes, are they? :confused:
IF they are or aren't I carry them.......:D

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
Good call. My super soaker comes via berkley :D
I carry most of the stuff CP carries, plus I have a Halon system in the engine compartment. I do omit the drywall saw though... my outdrive hasn't required one yet...
I also carry a signal kit... Flares, Smoke, Mirror, Chem Lights, etc. And I actually had to use my first aid kit for more than band aids. When I hit the prop with my knee, I used all the gauze and pads there were in mine and another boaters just to stop the bleeding. Good FA kit is essential.
Also, communications are important. Cell phone and a VHF are good to have along.

ahhell
05-31-2004, 04:52 PM
im going to have to get a bigger boat to carry all this shit!!!
Jet boats come equiped with lake lice extermination device:D

ahhell
05-31-2004, 04:55 PM
kotex are great wound covers,large wounds, like knees vs. props...i believe they were used in viet nam as such and these damn women claimed them:eek: :D

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
im going to have to get a bigger boat to carry all this shit!!!
Jet boats come equiped with lake lice extermination device:D
Actually my little 21 footer carries them nicely, and there is still room for beer, towels, etc.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
kotex are great wound covers,large wounds, like knees vs. props...i believe they were used in viet nam as such and these damn women claimed them:eek: :D
Yeah, I could see that they would work well. Tampons on the other hand... well maybe not so good...

THOR
05-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Although I posted this question under a new thread, I figured someone might answer here.
Does the fire extinguisher have to be affixed to the boat or can it be in a box somewhere in the boat?

clownpuncher
05-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by THOR
Although I posted this question under a new thread, I figured someone might answer here.
Does the fire extinguisher have to be affixed to the boat or can it be in a box somewhere in the boat?
I don't know about that, but, speaking from experience I'd encourage you to mount it. When you leave it in the box or even out of the box and "loose", there is the chance that you'll temporarily cover it up with somthing, move it out of your way for more storage etc. When it's mounted you always know where to go for the extinguisher. As you can imagine, during a sudden fire, you're mind will be inundated with lots of thoughts flying at the speed of light. The last thing you should have to worry about is "Where'd I put that damn extinguisher?". I'd mount it (them) anyplace you can get to it easily. Don't do like a friend of mine did and mount it "out of the way" in the engine compartment. DOH!!

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 06:49 PM
ClownPuncher you're almost as bad as I am .
Like you I have with me enough tools to overhaul the Queen Mary, along with the essential required safety gear . I also keep in the boat a full gasket set , oil and a torque wrench just in case the unmentionable happens . back in the truck's tool box where they stay dry theres also a set of rings bearings a valve spring or two, A thrust bearing & spare impeller for the drive and other misc parts gaskets seals
You never know when you may need them to save the weekend from a frowny face ride home with a busted boat:p
of course theres always Murphy's law and the extra part you need to fix your ride with is at the house . :rolleyes:
I'm sure if I could find a way to carry it without slowing me down Ide bring my 14 drawer Matco roll around the cherry picker the welder and the air compressor :D
cheers
C.T. :wink:

phebus
05-31-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
ClownPuncher you're almost as bad as I am .
Like you I have with me enough tools to overhaul the Queen Mary, along with the essential required safety gear . I also keep in the boat a full gasket set , oil and a torque wrench just in case the unmentionable happens . back in the truck's tool box where they stay dry theres also a set of rings bearings a valve spring or two, A thrust bearing & spare impeller for the drive and other misc parts gaskets seals
You never know when you may need them to save the weekend from a frowny face ride home with a busted boat:p
of course theres always Murphy's law and the extra part you need to fix your ride with is at the house . :rolleyes:
I'm sure if I could find a way to carry it without slowing me down Ide bring my 14 drawer Matco roll around the cherry picker the welder and the air compressor :D
cheers
C.T. :wink:
Any room for passengers? :D

clownpuncher
05-31-2004, 07:01 PM
EDIT:
During half time of the game I took another look at what I carry
I also carry swim fins, snorkel and mask to check the underside if need be, or undo a sucked rope
One of them lifeguard strap deals. In case of engine failure I'll use it to swim the boat to the bank while at Parker, no long swims for me. I hate floating and Mrs. Clownpuncher ain't the best paddler with the oar. Something about her boobs getting in the way. :D
Grease gun for the trailer and jet
a small bottle of orange/pumice hand cleaner in case they get some grease/oil/gunk on em
Rags
Misc stainless screws, nuts and bolts and wire connectors
GOOD jumper cables - 20 feet with 2G cables and monster clamps. Don't want the other boat to get too close.
Obvioulsy I carry more than I'll need on a daily basis but I figure if not me then someone else will need something
Good thread to start

mud duck
05-31-2004, 07:31 PM
By law we are required to carry:
Life jackets for every individual (not still in plastic)
Throwable (can not be a life jacket)
Fully charged fire extinguisher
Spark arrestor
Working horn
Working navigation lights
Current registration & drivers license
Also carry just in case:
First Aid kit
MN state boating rules pamphlet
Two telescoping aluminum paddles
Tools (socket set, a few pliers, a few screw drivers)
Duct tape
Lots of rope (various lengths)
Bumpers
Anchor
Cell phone
And I still worry when I see a cop near by. :mad:

FOURQ
05-31-2004, 09:35 PM
hell how do you guys cary all that stuff i can hardly fit myself and a pasanger in my boat ....i aint gettin a bigger boat!! i have to wear the life jacket so it dont fly out..

Cheap Thrills
05-31-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Any room for passengers? :D
Plenty :D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127bertha.jpg