PDA

View Full Version : Calling all armchair attorneys.....

cal-air
05-31-2004, 06:26 PM
I have a legal question for you guys, unfortunately it is easier for me to start with the explanation first.........
So on Friday I went to a car dealership, but couldn't find the deal/car I wanted. Today I get three phone calls from the dealership saying it's month end, yada, yada, yada and we have 2 cars we really need to get rid of. The price on these cars is X, but you have to come today to get this price. BTW, this was at 5 pm when the dealership closes at 7 PM. The price seems extremely reasonable so I decide to pay the dealership a visit and look at these 3 cars. So when I get to the dealership, these supposed cars are non existant and similar models are 10K more than X :mad: Naturally, this pissed me off and I left........classis bait and switch.
So, heres the question. I'm so irite I'm seriously considering starting a website called www.dealershipnamesucks.com and posting my horrible experience with the hopes of generating responses from other unhappy customers. Ultimately I want the page to show up with users go to search engines and enter something to the effect of southern california car dealerships. If I decide to create this website, what kind of legal action can the dealership take against me? Anyone have any ideas?

GlastronGuy
05-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Like this? (http://www.dealerrater.com/)

cal-air
05-31-2004, 07:15 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of pointing that particular dealer out. So if the dealer name was Contoso motors I would start a website named www.contososucks.com

MagicMtnDan
05-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Anyone who goes shopping at a dealership is taking too many chances. The only way to shop for a car is from the comfort of your own home and use the phone.
You can get actual final pricing by phone and you can get the pricing from as many dealers as you want to call. Comparison shop to your heart's content and stay out of the stressful, pressure cooker that is car dealerships.
By the way, forget the Web site or being irate. Let it go and chalk it up to experience. When you're ready to buy a car shop online and pick up your phone.

cal-air
05-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
By the way, forget the Web site or being irate. Let it go and chalk it up to experience. When you're ready to buy a car shop online and pick up your phone.
You're absolutely right, but I'll probably spend the 20 bucks to start the website anyways :D Also, my girlfriend works for www.autobytel.com..........go figure.

Flying Tiger
05-31-2004, 08:26 PM
It had to ba a Toyota dealer,, they are the worst,,, even worse than Chrysler,, and that is brutal,,,

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Flying Tiger
It had to ba a Toyota dealer,, they are the worst,,, even worse than Chrysler,, and that is brutal,,,
I walked out of a Nissan Dealer years back. Same crap. I made an offer based on my research and calling some leasing companies, so I knew what i could get this car for...
I made the offer and the sales guy said "that is a reasonable offer" then he gets us in to fill out all the paperwork and I thought I had a deal. Then I hear the sales manager cackling from down the hall... "HA, they think they can get it for HOW MUCH???? Better send em over there..."
OF course I overheard (Kinda think I was supposed to), grabbed the wife and kids and the paperwork started and walked to the door tearing the paperwork up as I walked. The Sales guy looked dumbfounded that I was leaving. I told him I wasn't kidding about the prices I had found, and wished him luck collecting that 5K dealer markup on the car. Then I went and filed a complaint with Nissan and the State. Of course... that was a waste of time but I felt better!

goneboatin
05-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Use the web to get your prices, Cars Direct has pretty realistic prices, have the rebates and incentives on their site. Use this info add roughly 10% to the price for tax and license, then lowball by about a grand. Check the latest newspaper ads, especially near year end. Call the dealership and ask for the sales manager or the fleet manager, tell them what you want and what you want to pay out-the-door, he'll tell you if the deal can or can't be done. No waiting in the sales guy's office for 45 minutes while he's "talking to the manager". I've bought my last 3 vehicles over the phone. You've gotta be ready to buy if you use this method though.
Remember if you're ready to deal, go through the manager! Not the sales vultures.

Essex502
06-01-2004, 06:36 AM
The original question was whether there would be a legal issue on hosting the website...I think you are pretty safe with enough disclaimers saying that the postings were the opinion of the poster only NOT that of the website host. However, being right doesn't make it safe in the sense that if the dealership wanted to they could make your life hell andd cost you a bundle in attorney's fees to defend your right to post negative comments. Defamation and loss of business arguments will be given as to why you should be shutdown and penalized for the site.

boxscore
06-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Use the web to get your prices, Cars Direct has pretty realistic prices, have the rebates and incentives on their site. Use this info add roughly 10% to the price for tax and license, then lowball by about a grand. Check the latest newspaper ads, especially near year end. Call the dealership and ask for the sales manager or the fleet manager, tell them what you want and what you want to pay out-the-door, he'll tell you if the deal can or can't be done. No waiting in the sales guy's office for 45 minutes while he's "talking to the manager". I've bought my last 3 vehicles over the phone. You've gotta be ready to buy if you use this method though.
Remember if you're ready to deal, go through the manager! Not the sales vultures.
Never go to the dealership! You're absolutely right. You'll weed out the dealerships that don't wanna sell cars near or at their cost right away, they simply wont do the deal over the phone. My last three cars were purchased from my desk and all delivered to my home w/o the hassle of the salespersons dicking with you at the dealership and wasting time.

ssmike
06-01-2004, 09:21 AM
The quick answer is yes, you can do it:
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/jbalkin/telecom/ballytotalfitness.pdf
The better answer is that it will cost $$$$ to defend the lawsuit right around the corner.

cal-air
06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ssmike
The quick answer is yes, you can do it:
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/jbalkin/telecom/ballytotalfitness.pdf
The better answer is that it will cost $$$$ to defend the lawsuit right around the corner.
OK, but are you entitled to attorney fee re-imburstment under the Lanham Act??