PDA

View Full Version : MSD vs Crane

Trouble Maker
05-31-2004, 06:40 PM
My MSD control module just went tits-up. Should I just buy another one or upgrade to the Crane. My MSD went for about 5 seasons...but being stranded at the lake even once really sucks. Is the Crane module(HI-6m) that much more reliable?

cruser
06-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Been running one for 6 years. Had to return the first one I got. They bent over backwards to fix it. It was out of warranty but I convince them that since it was in a boat it didn't get much use. They sent me a new one. I will be using another one on the new boat! Plus they come with a built in digital rev limiter.
cruzer

flat broke
06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
You might also look at the MSD digital 6 series when comparing to the Crane digital stuff.
Chris

oknozelman
06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
My MSD-6M2 quit me this weekend 11:30 pm 5 miles from my slip, the damndest thing was that the plug wires would still spark just not enough to run? WTF! But Monday{Memorial Day} morning I found Jimmy Johson {Fire Hawk Boats} at his home/shop and bought a new MSD, and back on the water I went. Hell of a guy to know in a pinch.

cstraub
06-03-2004, 09:08 AM
I have been to 1 independent test and seen data from another. The one I was at the boxes were pulled of the shelves of the warehouse. The Jacobs box by far is the best piece. They were swallowed up by Mallory about a year ago, but that thing spark under a load, while hot, when the others wer breaking down.
Chris

Trouble Maker
06-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Well, I ordered the Crane yesterday. In the meantime I adjusted the rotor phase...what a pain in the ass!! Seems kind of stupid to have to do something like that...couldn't they work around that electronically somehow or they could at least include one that is pre-drilled with the control unit.. I went through two rotors to get it dead on... Hope I don't regret this..

HP350SC
06-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Yeah the rotor phasing thing is a pain. You won't regret the Crane ignition. I've had MSD and Crane and like the Crane much better. Especially in conjunction with the merc. distributor.

Sand Dawg
06-04-2004, 04:24 AM
What made the Crane better to use then the MSD on a Merc ignition?. And did you gane that much?

Sand Dawg
06-04-2004, 04:30 AM
What made the Crane better to use then the MSD on a Merc ignition?. And did you gane that much?

HP350SC
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Crane box built better internally, selectable rev limiter and advance curves built in as well as diagnostics, tach test mode, knock sensor input and color coded wires to mercruiser harness and distributor.Crane also has more spark energy and when used with merc. hall effect distributor is superior to MSD magnetic trigger. And the merc. distributor doesn't corrode up inside, is more reliable and parts readily available. Any questions?

Sand Dawg
06-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Trouble Maker
06-14-2004, 05:04 PM
First lake test went well...no problems. Easy to install...got rid of the other mercruiser advance timing components. Much simpler installation now. I'm happy..

HP350SC
06-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Which curve did you select? Are you running 92 octane, or higher? How many lbs. boost?
I run curve #1 which brings timing all in quickly at 3000rpm. 10 deg. initial, 30 total w/ 7lbs. intercooled.
This weekend I bumped it to 32 deg. total, same curve, 9 lbs. boost and 100 av-fuel. That was my on-kill tuneup. Ran hard!

Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
06-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Crane box built better internally, selectable rev limiter and advance curves built in as well as diagnostics, tach test mode, knock sensor input and color coded wires to mercruiser harness and distributor.Crane also has more spark energy and when used with merc. hall effect distributor is superior to MSD magnetic trigger. And the merc. distributor doesn't corrode up inside, is more reliable and parts readily available. Any questions?
=================
MSD IS epoxy filled as it has been inside for 15 years so its not going to corodide as above and they have been out for years and years !! 5 seasons you won't get on the crane but I hope you do :)
nascar and most race teams and most others by far use MSD for a reason ,they work !! And the new digitial boxes blow away the closest comp ,,,and no I just stayed in a holiday inn last night :D :D :D I don't work for MSD:wink:

HP350SC
06-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Opinions may vary:D I took my MSD ditributor apart twice to fix corrosion problems. I believe he was asking about the 6M MSD box not newer digital stuff. Trust me, the Crane setup is better than the MSD. check out pictures of internal constuction an Crane's website for build quality. There is a picture comparison. Why buy external rev limiter chips too? When you add it all up the Crane is a better system for the money.

Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
06-17-2004, 03:45 AM
the 6al i 20 plus years old ,so to be fair you need to compare
the digitial and the Crane ,the dist,,does corode like others ,but the boxes are first class ,,he even got 5 seasons on his box which is good :)
IMHO