PDA

View Full Version : Who's fast at math?

Wet Dream
05-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Ok, I have court tomorrow. Pretty simple, but I want to see if anyone comes up with something the same.
71 in a 55
2 lane road
Looking for exposure time in the passing lane (I was passing a semi 79' long and a sedan vehicle separated by 10'. 93 feet total length not including my cushion between the sedan and myself). Both vehicles were doing 45.
How much longer would it take me to pass the truck and car at 55mph vs. 71mph? I want to know how much longer I would be out in the opposing traffic lane at 55. And if someone were coming at me at 55mph, how much LESS time do I have to make the pass at 55 vs 71?
Here's some help:
One mile = 5280'
45 mph = 66fps (feet per second)
55 = 80
60 = 88
70 = 102
I'm working on this one too.

mickeyfinn
05-31-2004, 07:44 PM
at 55 it would take you 6 seconds and change to move 91 feet more than they did. This doesn't take into account the extra distances such as the length of your vehicle
at 71 it will take about 2.4 seconds to move 91 feet more than they did. same caveats. add a second or 2 to each number to give you time to get around them.

SoCalOffshore
05-31-2004, 07:47 PM
I think the math works out that 71 minus 55 equals you were speeding by 16 mph. :D

Wet Dream
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
I think the math works out that 71 minus 55 equals you were speeding by 16 mph. :D
LMFAO. I was thinking that I could dazzle the judge with numbers and bullshit, but I think you're on the same wavelength with the cop. There really isn't that big a difference between 70 and 55 when you break it down, it really only matters on trips that allow extended times of running at a higher speed.
And thanks mickeyfinn. I was coming up with the same thing, using no variables as far as acceleration speed etc. Guess I'll have to take my chances. ;)

HammerDown
05-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Doesn't matter, your screwed.
Your best bet. Take that bottle of "weed" and get the judge drunk.:p
Then tell him you'll send him his own personal pictures of all the women skinny dipping at Lake Anna.
If that don't work, tell him you got a pal in Philly that will send him a "original" Philly Cheese Steak, one per month for a year.:D
PS. once he finds out you have a CDL...your screwed all over again.

Wet Dream
05-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Doesn't matter, your screwed.
Your best bet. Take that bottle of "weed" and get the judge drunk.:p
Then tell him you'll send him his own personal pictures of all the women skinny dipping at Lake Anna.
If that don't work, tell him you got a pal in Philly that will send him a "original" Philly Cheese Steak, one per month for a year.:D
PS. once he finds out you have a CDL...your screwed all over again.
I was kinda hoping that once SHE finds out I have a CDL she'll go a little easier. Its not the fine I'm worried about, its the points on my license. Those women judges can be rough. :frown:

GlastronGuy
05-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Why does it mater if he has a CDL? Was he in a truck?

Kilrtoy
05-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Ok, Now take into account, What type of car you are driving,
How fast does it achieve the higher speed you stated from the lower speed you stated.
Now take into account the weather, visibilty and signs on the roadway.
Also connecting roads, cross roads, type of road, pedestrians,
Check with the local Pd. and see the fatalities on the road and the accidents. After you have all that accounted for, now maybe you have a case.
oh wait I forgot is this a complaint location known for speeding.
Most of the traffic was flowing according to you at 45mph, making that a safe speed.
YOUR ****ED.............
dont forget the average car traveling at 55MPH the posted speed stops in 265 feet
at you are damn close to 400 feet
Just pay the fine....

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
To take that equation a little further, depending on the integer...
I'd say about 276 bucks......

MagicMtnDan
05-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
dont forget the average car traveling at 55MPH the posted speed stops in 265 feet
Kilr, if you're saying the average car traveling at 55MPH stops in 265 feet I think you'll find that you're off by quite a bit. Most new cars today can stop from 70 MPH in less than 200 feet.

Kilrtoy
05-31-2004, 09:33 PM
To be a little more exact DAN it is 144 feet
But remember .
there are a few things to fact in when stopping.
These are in order:
Perception
Reaction
Brake lag
Effective braking
TOTAL STOPPING DISTANCE
at 55 that is 265 Feet.

HammerDown
06-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
Why does it mater if he has a CDL? Was he in a truck?
Because when you hold a CDL your considered a "professional" driver and should know better. Don't know about the work truck.

UBFJ #454
06-01-2004, 04:17 AM
79 ft. Semi? Thought the limit for a Tractor-Trailer Rig was 75.

JetBoatRich
06-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Because when you hold a CDL your considered a "professional" driver and should know better. Don't know about the work truck.
what if you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night before;)

Wet Dream
06-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Single tractor trailors can have up to 75', most topping out at 70'. But when you have doubles behind the tractor, they are allowed a longer length. Not including the portion under the trailer, tractor = roughly 14', 5' between tractor and trailer (dolly), 28' of trailer, another 5' (dolly) and another 28' trailer.
There is another post of how the court hearing went today.