PDA

View Full Version : Shifter won't move into Foward or Reverse

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 08:40 PM
I figured I'd try my luck on here since I got some good info last week when the solenoid went out for the drive trim. This weeks problem is that the drive won't engage. The shifter is stuck in neutral and my bro nor I could get it to go into drive or reverse. It worked fine on saturday and earlier sunday with no hint of a problem. We fired it up to leave copper canyon to meet up with Phatt Matt, but the damn thing wouldn't budge and inch. Has anyone ever had a similar problem, if so what could it be. It seems like the cable from the drive is either frozen or broken.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
I figured I'd try my luck on here since I got some good info last week when the solenoid went out for the drive trim. This week problem is that the drive won't engage. The shifter is stuck in neutral and my bro nor I could get it to go into drive or reverse. It worked fine on saturday and earlier sunday with no hint of a problem. We fired it up to leave copper canyon to meet up with Phatt Matt, but the damn thing wouldn't budge and inch. Has anyone ever had a similar problem, if so what could it be. It seems like the cable from the drive is either frozen or broken.
How old is this boat?
My initial idea is that the lower cable is broken. Does the shifter move at all?

bear down
05-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Is there any way that that the throttle lever is not all the way back. My shifter prevents me from throwing the boat into gear if the throttle lever is up a little bit.

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
It is a 2002, turns 2 years old in July. The cable has about a half in movement forward and reverse, that's it. Anymore and I'll probably break the plastic mounts on the block or the actual shifter

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:49 PM
It is a 2002, turns 2 years old in July. The cable has about a half in movement forward and reverse, that's it. Anymore and I'll probably break the plastic mounts on the block or the actual shifter
Did you look at the shift bracket in the engine? Is it free? If you disconnect the lower drive cable from the bracket, does it free up the shifter. If it does, then the problem is with the lower cable or drive. If you narrow it down to there, the drive will have to come off to inspect the cable and shift mechanism.:(

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Dr. Eagle, that's exactly what we did. The shifter moves fine when the lower cable is not hooked up to the bracket. We were thinking the lower cable or drive as well. I was hoping it would be a 20 dollar fix like last week, but I don't think it's looking that way.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Dr. Eagle, that's exactly what we did. The shifter moves fine when the lower cable is not hooked up to the bracket. We were thinking the lower cable or drive as well. I was hoping it would be a 20 dollar fix like last week, but I don't think it's looking that way.
Not likely. Probably 150 to ...??? Ouch! Hopefully in the lower end of the range....
Sorry bout that. So you got towed in obviously.

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah two hours of tow time, $300 dollars later and almost going under a few times.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah two hours of tow time, $300 dollars later and almost going under a few times.
That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that.

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info Dr. Eagle, looks like it's going into the shop first thing in the morning. I'm 0 for 2 the last two weekends.

Dr. Eagle
05-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info Dr. Eagle, looks like it's going into the shop first thing in the morning. I'm 0 for 2 the last two weekends.
Yeah, being that the shifter won't move much... kinda sounds like the cable is jammed or the drive is jacked up. Sorry to hear about that man... maybe it will be something simple...

Ivan Dan
05-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Get Vessel Assist (Boat US) that way you won't have this problem anymore. Shouldn't cost you anything to tow except your yearly membership.

THATJEFFGUY
05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
****in' Commander !!!!

C-2
05-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Could be your shift cable is binding due to a few possibilities;
Was the cable moved after being nudged while working on the motor, or something being stowed hit it?
Is the cable binding due to installation? Is this a standard install, or perhaps relocated due to remote oil filter change etc.?
Maybe back track on the solenoid install - did something get binded?
I had (gee)S Marine in Corona change out my Quicksilver control to a Morse - and it always intermittently stuck. After about three years of this - one day after putting it in gear - it remained there and wouldn't move.
I took it to Savage Marine (the day of a poker run) and and within an hour they had it shifting just fine. They said it had been binding due to my header/remote oil filter installation.
It didn't look like it was binding to the naked eye - but apparently it was beacause since the time Savage fixed it the controller has shifted perfectly.
Good luck on it

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 10:20 PM
C-2,
Thanks for the input. We don't store anything in the engine compartment specifically for that reason of no wanting anything to do any damage to moving parts back there. Looking back to last week, the cables were not moved during the solenoid installation as they are well out of the way of the trim pump. It was a simple remove & replace. The only thing I can see that is near the drive shifter cables is the stearing assembly, but it doesn't actually touch the shifter cables. It ran fine up to steam boat, and to copper canyon. We were anchored up for a few hours and only opened the hatch once to switch the batteries. Started it up and tried to put it in drive to motor out of the canyon, and nada. The motor is all stock, no headers. It was given a service and has 3 hours on it since the service. My bro and I baby this boat and it is serviced regularly. My bro noticed it was a little hard to shift the day before when going through the channel. Maybe the cable had already started binding then. I guess we will see what the shop has to say. It would be nice if it could be a quick hour fix like yours was.

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 10:21 PM
ThatJeffGuy,
Nice to see you to. When are you going out again?

C-2
05-31-2004, 11:04 PM
It sounds like something simple. Recently I thought I had the same problem again - only to see the cable was routed/caught under a bolt on the transom after I installed a new cam. Lifted the cable off the bolt and shifting was back to normal.
Too bad my cam install wasn't as easy!
:)

Phat Matt
05-31-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm 0 for 2 the last two weekends.
Don't throw in the towel yet! We have a whole season ahead of us. We just made it back. The traffic was light and no problems. Let me know what you find out.
Matt

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Phatt Matt,
Will do. Glad you guys made it in safely. That was a pretty quick ride in. Thanks again for bringing the reinforcements and offering for the tow in. Like I said, the waters on the tow to windsor were pretty bad so I'm glad the tow boat got the damage and not your boat.

Phat Matt
05-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Phatt Matt,
Will do. Glad you guys made it in safely. That was a pretty quick ride in. Thanks again for bringing the reinforcements and offering for the tow in. Like I said, the waters on the tow to windsor were pretty bad so I'm glad the tow boat got the damage and not your boat.
No problem. We've got your back! Let me know when your next trip is because we haven't planned anything after this weekend besides my monthly Vegas trip. We had a great time on Saturday though. Park Moabi was pretty cool!

TheEduKATor
05-31-2004, 11:28 PM
I'll let you know when we are going out next. I want to get out again before my bro leaves at the end of June.

Phat Matt
05-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Cool. :D
Time for bed. Gotta work in the morning. :yuk:

DansBlown73Nordic
05-31-2004, 11:49 PM
This is another idea. On the older Mercruiers they have a pair of switches that will stop the motor for a micro second to let it slip into gear. If those switches get goofy it will never go into gear. Im not sure the new Mercs, use this anymore.;)

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Well, the shop said they are full and can't take a look at it until June 14th. So it's going to sit a while

THATJEFFGUY
06-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey EduKator... I was hoping to go out next weekend...but last week, some dumb bitch turned in front of me and tore up the new Suburban pretty good. I really don't think the Lexus will pull the boat too well :D so I may have to get creative and throw a temporary trailer hitch on the Dodge Durango "rental". I'll let you guys know when we head out again though....hopefully soon ! Hey I think Commander may have an opening in their service dept...maybe they can squeeze ya in for that shifter problem...and even have it done by November !! Seriously though, did you call Ruben..I'm sure he knows someone that can handle it for you ! Hey when is your Bro leaving ?? I think we need to have a "going away" party for him at the River..whadda ya think ??

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I was thinking the same thing about Ruben. I'll give Sparks a call today. I've called a bunch of shops around here, and they are all pretty much booked which is understandable. My bro is leaving the last weekend in June. Without a boat I don't know how much fun a going away party at the river would be for him, so I hope we can get it fixed pretty soon. It's a good idea though.

THATJEFFGUY
06-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I just talked to Sparks..we're all planning to go out July 4th..are you guys in ??? PM and I'll give you the details.

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
This is another idea. On the older Mercruiers they have a pair of switches that will stop the motor for a micro second to let it slip into gear. If those switches get goofy it will never go into gear. Im not sure the new Mercs, use this anymore.;)
That's an Alpha Drive thing..... Bravos use a cone clutch, so they don't need the ignition interrupt.

phebus
06-01-2004, 12:06 PM
I'd call and talk to Max Machine Works out in Havasu, and see what they say. I've heard nothing but good about them.

al cole'holic
06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
..what motor/drive package does the boat have?

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
al cole'holic,
It's a 496 Mag with the bravo one drive.
Jeff,
We will be on our way back from Wyoming on July 5th, so that's a big negatory good buddy on the 4th of July trip.

al cole'holic
06-01-2004, 01:05 PM
al cole'holic,
It's a 496 Mag with the bravo one drive.
...not too sure if this is specifically for you but thought I would let you know if it was that combo...I just caught wind of some sort of recall Mercury issued with the 496 package with regards to getting in and out of gear, you may want to check into it..

NorCal Gameshow
06-01-2004, 01:57 PM
three hours after it has been serviced :confused: :idea:

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 03:52 PM
al cole'holic,
do you know were I could find out more info on that recall?

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
al cole'holic,
Try the coast guard website........

mtndewdrops
06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I was behind you a few vehicles back at the launch ramp on Sunday, then saw you again at the overflow parking...sorry to hear about your mechanical problems.:(

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 06:46 PM
mtndewdrops,
I was still half asleep in the morning when I got to the launch ramp and overflow. Did you have someone driving your boat to pick you up from overflow.

mtndewdrops
06-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah, my wife was driving the boat to pick me up. We had another couple with us. I think we both were kind of tired, heck it was only 7:30.

TheEduKATor
06-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Yup I remember seeing your boat then. I think your wife was driving in when I was jumping on our boat. Too bad on the ride home I was jumping off the vessel assist boat instead of mine.

al cole'holic
06-01-2004, 08:11 PM
al cole'holic,
..check out your local Merc service place, call Commander, or call The Boat Brokers in Havasu (where I believe tcook33 is having the recall service done on the Nordic). I hope this helps your situation :D

TheEduKATor
06-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I found the coast quard website for recalls, but didn't find a specific one for shifting in to foward or reverse for the 496 mag. I found it for a merc 225 hp motor. My manufacturer said they've never heard of this happening before and to bring it in to have it looked at.

Skullinator
06-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Had a problem with the shifter not moving once come to find out the top of the drive was gone. First the floor of your top gear blows out then puts presure on the cone clutch and other gears get there teeth knocked out. Hope i'm wrong but it happened to me that way. Easy way to find out is pull the top cap off your drive and take a look it's only 4 bolts. If it looks clean you may have gotten lucky if it look's like bolts in a blender then look @ 1500.00 to fix it.

Sherpa
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
at least take an afternoon to look into it yourself........ how difficult
could it really be-? it's always good to know how everything works, especially in a friggen boat.... wait till mid june to have them work on your stuff-? and waste all that potential boat-time?
no way..........
--Sherpa
get busy.

TheEduKATor
06-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Sherpa,
Believe me, my bro and I got to know the boat real well on Sunday. It broke down around 9:30 am and we worked on it until 5:30 pm on the water. We had cables flying, wires unhooked, bolts unscrewed, about 5 feet off the rocks in a cove off to the side in copper canyon. The only thing we didn't do was open up the drive unit. We are both mechanically inclined but we are going to let the mechanics figure this one out that's why we paid for the warranty. Everything we own breaks. We just fixed the trim pump last week and said screw it this time. Of couse the mechanics said they've never heard of this happening before, just like FORD said when my new F-250 was giving me problems. On a good note, the manufacturer said it should still be under warranty as long as it is something wrong with the drive or motor. We were just trying to see if anyone else ever had similar problems to narrow the cause down so we could get it back on the water quicker. I live in San Diego and the boat is stored in the 909 so it makes it kind of difficult to work on it.

silver surfer
06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Edukator,
I have the same drive/engine package in my Commander and I called Mercruiser in Stillwater Ok today and they said they do not have any recall notice for the particular problem you speak of.

TheEduKATor
06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
silver surfer,
Thanks for the help. The merc mechanic we have our boat serviced at said bravo one drives are notorious for having a hard shift. He said just try to force it in drive or reverse, but that cable is not moving more than a half inch either way. If we force it any more, it's going to break the plastic housing that it's hooked up to on the block. He said if the drive is stuck in a gear then the prop should not be able to move, but it spins freely. We went ahead and just made the appointment to get it worked on, but chances are it won't be ready until after my bro leaves at the end of June. Thanks again to everyone who's put their two cents in. The amount of knowledge and experience people have on these boards definately has helped me out more than once now.

al cole'holic
06-02-2004, 08:36 PM
silver surfer,
Thanks for the help. The merc mechanic we have our boat serviced at said bravo one drives are notorious for having a hard shift. He said just try to force it in drive or reverse, but that cable is not moving more than a half inch either way. If we force it any more, it's going to break the plastic housing that it's hooked up to on the block. He said if the drive is stuck in a gear then the prop should not be able to move, but it spins freely. We went ahead and just made the appointment to get it worked on, but chances are it won't be ready until after my bro leaves at the end of June. Thanks again to everyone who's put their two cents in. The amount of knowledge and experience people have on these boards definately has helped me out more than once now.
...alot of times I would have to hit the shifter with the palm of my hand to get 'er in drive, didn't really think too much of it. Check with The Boat Broker's in Havasu or tcook33, he is the one who got the letter straight from Mercury regarding a recall issue on some part in that package. He took it to TBB's for the warranty work...