PDA

View Full Version : CO Blamed In Death Of AZ Teak Surfer

Kwicherbichen
06-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Thursday, May 27, 2004
PHOENIX (AP) - Divers on May 15 recovered the body of a teen reported missing while teak surfing during a senior ditch-day outing at Bartlett Lake the day before.
The body of Min-Jae Yang, 18, was located about 8:30 a.m. beneath 15 feet of water in the northern end of the lake.
Yang and about 20 other Shadow Mountain High School students went to the lake on May 14 for senior ditch day - a non school-sanctioned activity.
Friends said Yang was teak surfing - when an individual holds on to the swim platform of a moving vessel and body surfs on its wake. They said he let go of the back of a motorboat and never resurfaced.
Officials have reported that a number of deaths of teak surfers nationwide have been attributed to carbon- monoxide poisoning.
The U.S. Coast Guard warns boaters not to teak surf because it directly exposes them to carbon monoxide in the engine's exhaust.
Maricopa County Sheriff's Office officials said the cause of death was listed as unknown, pending an autopsy. Officers reported that there was no apparent trauma to the body.

v-drive
06-01-2004, 05:32 AM
I don't want to bag on the boat builders as this is really not their fault, and, something has to be done about these tragedies. What is wrong with these people that allow their children to do this, is there that much un-awareness. From the time I was a small child I have been around this stuff and can remember being told of its danger. If a parent wasn't present why did they allow the operator to use their boat without being educated. I'm sorry to go on about this but it angers me that some law will be created to harm the boating industry (and us) when it is the responsibility of the parent or operator to handle this. :mad:
v-sick and tired of stupid people-drive

PHX ATC
06-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Smart guy, huh? Let's see, "surf" right by an exhaust pipe or 2.
Smart, very smart.:rolleyes:

Sherpa
06-01-2004, 06:10 AM
darwin at his best-!
--Sherpa
throw another cup-O-clorine into that thar pool-!

91nordic29
06-01-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by PHX ATC
Smart guy, huh? Let's see, "surf" right by an exhaust pipe or 2.
Smart, very smart.:rolleyes:
and a propeller.

Essex502
06-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Sherpa
darwin at his best-!
--Sherpa
throw another cup-O-clorine into that thar pool-!
This is how we "thin the species"!

Debbolas
06-01-2004, 07:31 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566is_this_CO-med.jpg
This is the launch ramp at Hemmingway/Las Vegas Marina at Lake Mead. Is all that smoke CO?

Laveyman
06-01-2004, 07:59 AM
One more moron flushed outta the gene pool! :cool:

jbtrailerjim
06-01-2004, 08:33 AM
I blame the boat driver as much as the teen. The boat owner should have never let this happen in the first place. What an idiot.

O/B Dude
06-01-2004, 08:56 AM
The haze that you see at the ramp "may" contain CO, but CO is basically transparent.
The FATHER of one of the boys was driving the boat. They had all been drinking as well.
SAD SAD tradegy....

Laveyman
06-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by O/B Dude
SAD SAD tradegy....
Why is this a tragedy? It is more like stupid drunk f@#ks, doing something stupid as hell that they know is inherently dangerous and deadly. When you do stupid, dangerous things, there are risks involved. Death just happened to be the huge risk in this "sport." The father should be prosecuted for manslaughter and put away for participating in this. :mad:
Flame over now.

HCS
06-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Laveyman
Why is this a tragedy? It is more like stupid drunk f@#ks, doing something stupid as hell that they know is inherently dangerous and deadly. When you do stupid, dangerous things, there are risks involved. Death just happened to be the huge risk in this "sport." The father should be prosecuted for manslaughter and put away for participating in this. :mad:
Flame over now.
I'm 100% with you. What a bunch of dumb f ucks.

Sherpa
06-01-2004, 11:29 AM
ok now........
I wonder if this was a wakeboard boat..........
now, given that, I would "assume" that almost ALL
wakeboarders would know about the dangers of teak surfing.
I think the only idiots that would teak surf would be wakeboarders........
that being the case, these people are friggen retarded...
now one of em is dead.... case closed......
it's like the joke: Hey kid, you're bothering me. go play in
the fast lane on the freeway...........
--Sherpa

spectratoad
06-01-2004, 12:01 PM
As has already been said, Darwin works. Also how does a body sink and not resurface if it is wearing a life jacket.:eek: Oh wait, maybe he wasn't doing that either. Dumba$$.

HCS
06-01-2004, 12:25 PM
The problem here is that there was no warning label on the boat.
Anywhere, so how were they to know?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I could see how alcohol contributed to this.. They probably wouldn't have done it if they weren't drunk.
Thats what I was thinking, Dave. ;)
My spidey senses are tingling......
I suspect a "drinking and Driving.....part 5?

HCS
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Teak skiing is more fun than teak surfing. You hang on the
platform and hit it. Who ever can go the fastest wins! It's
alot safer than teak surfing. Normally you blow off the platform
before you can breath enough fumes to kill ya.:D