06-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Link's not working....
I guess both of us brought it down. Here's a summary:
http://www.caraudiolounge.com/index.php?showtopic=6016

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 07:10 AM
I read that summary previously on CSA.
I figure this debate will rage on as long as the 6v vs.12v battery debate.....
Personally, (as you may know) I run a pair of 1 farad caps in my system, despite all the negative press they have gotten lately.
I discovered car audio in the early 80's, and as such still maintain some of those antiquated beliefs.:)
My reason for the installation was twofold, the primary was to stop the lights dimming when flaoting at night, and have succeeded at that.
Secondly, was a very POOR but EXPENSIVE distibution block. (to borrow a phrase from elsewhere)
Without an alternator to keep the voltage at a constant (during a float, for example) I found there was indeed a value to having the storage versus not.
Not scientifically of course, just a visual thing. :)

Havasu Hangin'
06-01-2004, 07:20 AM
What I found interesting is that it appears that caps actually take away some voltage (while being recharged?), which may explain the "stabilizing" effect.

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I noticed that as well, you are likely correct with the recharging theory, makes sense anyway. (less voltage=less power.)
For me it was a comprimise, I will never win any award for my system, Indeed, I built it to suit my own wants, and one of the more annoying things was, as I said, at night with the interor and nav. lights on, the lights would dim during bass hits, as well as any change in the electrical load, for example opening the hatch, the bilge pump cycling, etc. Granted, that was with incandescent lighting...and a somewhat lesser powered audio system.
Now, (well, the one time it has been night tested) there is no longer that annoying dip in the lighting with the changes in the load are introduced.
Although, I am aware of a slight loss of system voltage, I accept that for the electrical system stabilization I gained.
One side note.
If the perko is switched to the single battery, none of the previously mentioned benefits are realized due to the configuration.
Course, running the Optima's I have found I rarely need to switch.
12v parallel....its the only way to fly.:D

rivercrazy
06-01-2004, 08:03 AM
I'd rather put the money it would cost on a Cap toward more batteries or an upgraded alternator. Just my humble opinion! :D :D

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I'd rather put the money it would cost on a Cap toward more batteries or an upgraded alternator. Just my humble opinion! :D :D
I agree RC. And I did that last year. 120 amp alternator, triple Optimas. :D

Havasu Hangin'
06-01-2004, 08:38 AM
So if there's any more money you are trying to get rid of...please send it to the "HH Petroleum Awareness Fund".
Thanks.

rivercrazy
06-01-2004, 08:50 AM
LMFAO! Whats wrong Jeff. The twin blower motors require oil tankers for refueling? hehe:D

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
So if there's any more money you are trying to get rid of...please send it to the "HH Petroleum Awareness Fund".
Thanks.
LMAO!!
I figure the "454" burns through fuel about twice as fast as the 383.....times two.:eek:
So much for conserving our natural resources, huh?;)

Havasu Hangin'
06-01-2004, 09:28 AM
I figure the "454" burns through fuel...
510's are even worse... :eek:

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
510's are even worse... :eek:
And blown 510's are worser?
No underwriters here.....

Havasu Hangin'
06-01-2004, 09:39 AM
And blown 510's are worser?
Yes...I've heard they are "worser"...

1stepcloser
06-01-2004, 09:58 AM
:D

KACHINA KEN
06-04-2004, 10:15 AM
where did you get your alt from?
Kenny

riverbound
06-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by KACHINA KEN
where did you get your alt from?
Kenny
We buy ours from RB Performance in Parker.