PDA

View Full Version : Charging batteries?

little rowe boat
06-01-2004, 10:05 AM
I usually pull the batteries out of the boat to charge them.Does anyone know if there would be any problems leaving them in the boat,putting the battery switch to ALL and charging them both onboard at the same time?

clownpuncher
06-01-2004, 10:10 AM
That's what I do. Takes a little longer when you do both at the same time.

little rowe boat
06-01-2004, 10:12 AM
I thought it would probably work,just wasn't sure.
Thx CP.

Cheap Thrills
06-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I don't think Ive ever taken mine out to charge em up.
There's no reason that I can think of as to why you would have to . if they are in an enclosed compartment I would be sure to have a little ventilation to them , it helps keep the plates cool during a high rate charge and lets out what hydrogen gas that is produced if any .
Just my .02
C.T. :wink:

little rowe boat
06-01-2004, 10:18 AM
I will definately keep the engine compartment open.I usually pull them out and charge them between every trip out,I check the water levels in each cell,while i'm at it.

GASHGAZER
06-01-2004, 10:20 AM
I have 3 batteries, 2 Optima and an Interstate lead cell, and charge all 3 with the switch to all, I have an onboard Power Supply hooked up to the generator usually, but just unplug it and hook up an extension cord, by morning all 3 batteries are fresh and ready... no lugging in and out.

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
I usually pull the batteries out of the boat to charge them.Does anyone know if there would be any problems leaving them in the boat,putting the battery switch to ALL and charging them both onboard at the same time?
That is what I do exactly. I have a Guest onboard charger/maintainer that I use to keep them fully charged all the time. It will do the job OK even with fully discharged batteries. It just takes a while, it is a 6 amp max charger. The nice thing is it won't overcharge the batteries and dry them out.