PDA

View Full Version : Barry Grant electric fuel pump

kgeeeee
09-01-2002, 05:15 PM
I have 2/25 gal. tanks with a switching unit mounted on the transom. The main fuel line from the unit goes into the "in" on the fuel pump. This pump sits above the fuel tank so I put a check valve in between the "in" on the pump and the main line comming from the switching unit.
I keep losing the prime. Does the check valve have to go on the other side of the pump to work or should I say hold the prime? Today cutting across the lake I lost the prime and had to be towed back. Is it possible I might have a bad check valve? It is brand new.

Hotcrusader76
09-01-2002, 05:18 PM
kgeeeee:
I have 2/25 gal. tanks with a switching unit mounted on the transom. The main fuel line from the unit goes into the "in" on the fuel pump. This pump sits above the fuel tank so I put a check valve in between the "in" on the pump and the main line comming from the switching unit.
I keep losing the prime. Does the check valve have to go on the other side of the pump to work or should I say hold the prime? Today cutting across the lake I lost the prime and had to be towed back. Is it possible I might have a bad check valve? It is brand new.Electric pumps like to push fuel, not pull it.
Is there a way to get that pump below decks? I mean lowest you can possiable in the hull?

502procharger
09-01-2002, 05:31 PM
ty, do you ever get away from work, or your computer? hope you are having a good weekend.

Hotcrusader76
09-01-2002, 06:22 PM
502procharger:
ty, do you ever get away from work, or your computer? hope you are having a good weekend.Ty's life in a nutshell these last three days:
Girlfriend is in Pheonix with Grandma visiting- :D
Gathering parts for the blown head gasket on the diesel
Busted valve spring in boat (On hold because of truck)
Doing Chemistry homework and winging the Calculus problems the same.
Updateing website---filling the coffee pot every hour...or is that emptying it...LOL....and running to ALbertos (taco shop) every 5 hours.
All of this for what?????? Because I like who I am and what I do...LOL ...What BS that is!
Truth is...I am getting through school at night, keeping customers happy (that's easy), keeping girlfriend at bay (2 years now and she's still around, but the computer is on its way out), and the truck is going to be my next book, "The perfect Plan" with many sequells.
Hhaahaa....so now you got it! The scoop on me! So this is my excuse from bailing out on the river and Dove hunting I was suppose to do while I was in McIntyre....
My day will come when this all pays off...meanwhile...back to the calculator... :rolleyes:

565edge
09-01-2002, 10:14 PM
kgeeeee:
I keep losing the prime. Does the check valve have to go on the other side of the pump to work or should I say hold the prime? Today cutting across the lake I lost the prime and had to be towed back. Is it possible I might have a bad check valve? It is brand new.With my fuel system i had to add vents in each tank,my caps were vented but i still needed more vent,now it stays primed,i run the big product engineering pump(similiar to magna flow)if you have the big pump that might be your problem,why do you run a check valve?

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 08:12 AM
kgeeeee:
I keep losing the prime. Does the check valve have to go on the other side of the pump to work or should I say hold the prime? Today cutting across the lake I lost the prime and had to be towed back. Is it possible I might have a bad check valve? It is brand new.BG will tell you that you HAVE TO have the pump below the pickup in the fuel cell or at least at the same level. I still have mine higher and I get the same priming problem, especially if my tanks are low. I would try to re-mount it lower....

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 08:18 AM
78Eliminator:
kgeeeee:
I keep losing the prime. Does the check valve have to go on the other side of the pump to work or should I say hold the prime? Today cutting across the lake I lost the prime and had to be towed back. Is it possible I might have a bad check valve? It is brand new.BG will tell you that you HAVE TO have the pump below the pickup in the fuel cell or at least at the same level. I still have mine higher and I get the same priming problem, especially if my tanks are low. I would try to re-mount it lower....and how did we do this weekend....

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Hotcrusader76:
and how did we do this weekend....Good. I am running a little too fat though. I have rich spark plug readings and it doesn't like to start when it's hot......still. You have to turn it over for a long time (and don't touch the gas peddle) and eventually it will start kicking to life. It floods REAL easy.
It was also pissing a little oil out the distributor. Not sure why it was doing that. The dipstick showed that the oil level was a little high but I'm not sure it would cause it to piss it out the distributor......

Jordy
09-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Glad to hear it ran. It is a step in the right direction anyhow... now just a little fine tune and you should be golden.
Jordy :D

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 09:03 AM
jordanpaulk:
Glad to hear it ran. It is a step in the right direction anyhow... now just a little fine tune and you should be golden.
Jordy :D JP, you have no idea how happy I am to have a running boat. I was in heaven sitting on the sandbar in my own ride.....

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 09:42 AM
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D JP, you have no idea how happy I am to have a running boat. I was in heaven sitting on the sandbar in my own ride.....Did you jump up the those original Jet sizes I had installed MAX093's? You might need to step down two notches.

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 09:43 AM
As far as the oil and dist.???
There should be a gasket in there...no? See if you have one installed.
Is it coming from the inside or the outside along the base?

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Did you jump up the those original Jet sizes I had installed MAX093's? You might need to step down two notches.No, I kept the 80 somethings in there.

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Is it coming from the inside or the outside along the base?Coming from the inside. PTL was hanging over the back of the engine while I was at about 3500K and said that it was kinds puking a little oil out. He said a lot more would come out when I was in a turn.....
I found out what my redline is. It's about 5700 or 5800.......
J

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 09:50 AM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
Is it coming from the inside or the outside along the base?Coming from the inside. PTL was hanging over the back of the engine while I was at about 3500K and said that it was kinds puking a little oil out. He said a lot more would come out when I was in a turn.....
I found out what my redline is. It's about 5700 or 5800.......
I usually get puking when my oil is mixed with H2O.
Run the motor hot, without water, and with the priciples of distillation the water should evaporate and leave throught the valve covers breathers.
Otherwise, start running a puke tank??
J

Jordy
09-03-2002, 10:16 AM
78Eliminator:
JP, you have no idea how happy I am to have a running boat. I was in heaven sitting on the sandbar in my own ride.....I have every idea. I enjoy the hell out of every day I get to spend at the lake with my boat now after missing 95% of the summer. It's a good feeling.

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 10:22 AM
jordanpaulk:
78Eliminator:
JP, you have no idea how happy I am to have a running boat. I was in heaven sitting on the sandbar in my own ride.....I have every idea. I enjoy the hell out of every day I get to spend at the lake with my boat now after missing 95% of the summer. It's a good feeling.
Jordy :D When I pulled up and anchored, all was good in my life. I could barely talk because I was so happy.
[ September 03, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Jordy
09-03-2002, 10:29 AM
I still get wood when I put the boat in the water, turn the key and she fires right up... The joys of boat ownership. Or the joys of owning a boat that now runs again. Take your pick

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 11:37 AM
jordanpaulk:
I still get wood when I put the boat in the water, turn the key and she fires right up... The joys of boat ownership. Or the joys of owning a boat that now runs again. Take your pick
Jordy :D I get wood when I am cruising up the river at about 4k and know that I have almost 2k of power, just waiting.

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 11:39 AM
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D I get wood when I am cruising up the river at about 4k and know that I have almost 2k of power, just waiting.J,
How did she sound throughout the RPM band? Fat or lean and at what RPM's?

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Hotcrusader76:
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
Jordy :D I get wood when I am cruising up the river at about 4k and know that I have almost 2k of power, just waiting.J,
How did she sound throughout the RPM band? Fat or lean and at what RPM's?Sounded good at WOT but fat in the lower range. It spuddered a little when you would hammer it, then it would hook up....
It would die if you went from WOT to nothing. You would have to nurse it down from WOT to idle, very slowly.

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
How did she sound throughout the RPM band? Fat or lean and at what RPM's?Sounded good at WOT but fat in the lower range. It spuddered a little when you would hammer it, then it would hook up....
It would die if you went from WOT to nothing. You would have to nurse it down from WOT to idle, very slowly.With no powervalves, that starting stumble is about right, but nothing to exotic!
Coming down off WOT....wants to die???
Sounds like a lean condition at the upper end....or too much timing?

78Eliminator
09-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Hotcrusader76:
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
It would die if you went from WOT to nothing. You would have to nurse it down from WOT to idle, very slowly.With no powervalves, that starting stumble is about right, but nothing to exotic!
Coming down off WOT....wants to die???
Sounds like a lean condition at the upper end....or too much timing?If I go to those fatter jets, should I do just the secondaries to start?
[ September 03, 2002, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Hotcrusader76
09-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Your carbs are set up in a 2X2 sideways mount. Its sort of hard to tune the conventional way.
Your carbs were set up square, emulsion circuits and all. The primary metering blocks are tuned a little for idling purposes on the main wells, but that about it.
But seariously Justin....I now question that MSD dist. you have? Oil on the inside???? Did you ever replace the cap and rotor?
Every carb I have ever run that shut off after coming off WOT...was attributed to the ignition set-up....
We are sure running out of things to replace on the boat....so far everything is new....

78Eliminator
09-04-2002, 08:36 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Every carb I have ever run that shut off after coming off WOT...was attributed to the ignition set-up....
We are sure running out of things to replace on the boat....so far everything is new....PTL had the same problem and he said after his carbs were reworked it went away. So far, I have replaced everything in my carbs twice and now and they seem to be just about there. Holley sucks, big time. All the parts they sell suck. I pulled out one of the needle/seat vavles from your rebuild and it was shredded. The floats were filled with fuel. The threads in the bowls were f'ed up like no one even went to the trouble to clean up the threads after it was chrome plated. The floats that I used with the needle/seats would not even keep the fuel below the sight hole without bending the shit out of them to work. Now I understand why people pay big bucks to get their carbs done. I'm going to buy the BG Air/Fuel meter to finish up dialing in the carbs. **** all this bullshit guess work.
[ September 04, 2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Jordy
09-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Like I said J, when you get yours all set up you can dial mine it. It's easy as there is only one.

78Eliminator
09-04-2002, 09:46 AM
jordanpaulk:
Like I said J, when you get yours all set up you can dial mine it. It's easy as there is only one.
Jordy :D Sweet. I am going to milk these carbs for everything I can, then the N2O will come and I'll start all over....
Just remember, I'm no pro, just a garage mechanic.

Jordy
09-04-2002, 09:51 AM
78Eliminator:
Just remember, I'm no pro, just a garage mechanic.Exactly. That is why I am letting you perfect your method on your boat first. By the time you get ready to do mine, if your boat hasn't caught fire, blown up, been struck by lightning, or anything else I can blame on your garage antics, I'll let you dial mine in, cause that's the kind of guy I am...

78Eliminator
09-04-2002, 09:54 AM
jordanpaulk:
78Eliminator:
Just remember, I'm no pro, just a garage mechanic.Exactly. That is why I am letting you perfect your method on your boat first. By the time you get ready to do mine, if your boat hasn't caught fire, blown up, been struck by lightning, or anything else I can blame on your garage antics, I'll let you dial mine in, cause that's the kind of guy I am...
Jordy :D Ok cool. I just would never pawn myself off as a pro unless I really was one. A pro could troubleshoot a carb and have it optimized for a perticular application in a day, I might take longer.....
J

Hotcrusader76
09-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Well with a perfectly "tuned" boat; ignition, wires, timing, and fuel pressure, easy day.
A Profesional could "tune" those carbs just as much as a "garage mechanic" could, IE Jets, idle mixture, float levels www.mortec.com (http://www.mortec.com).
But a garage "Mechanic" can also tune his motor.
So where is the problem with your carbs, as you continue to slander the mislead results of my talent? I do not understand, maybe someone can enlighten me, as to how I can tune your set-up, when your set-up isn't even tuned. Your carbs were set up for such an application as yours, nothing exotic. Now its just jetting, and setting the idle speed/mixture settings.
please check your email as well. Thank you.
[ September 04, 2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

78Eliminator
09-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Hotcrusader76:
So where is the problem with your carbs, as you continue to slander the mislead results of my talent?If you consider making truthful statments "slander" then there is no helping you. You ask where the problems are with the carbs? Well after I rebuilt them agian myself, my boat runs so I guess there is now no problem. Is that another slander?

Hotcrusader76
09-04-2002, 11:45 AM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
It would die if you went from WOT to nothing. You would have to nurse it down from WOT to idle, very slowly.Then maybe I am misunderstanding the problems you have inquired upon, with your rebuild/s. I do not understand.

78Eliminator
09-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Hotcrusader76:
[QUOTE]I do not understand.It's simple. My idle mixture is too fat. Just need to adjust next time I'm out. No biggie.

Hotcrusader76
09-04-2002, 11:58 AM
78Eliminator:
Hotcrusader76:
[QUOTE]I do not understand.It's simple. My idle mixture is too fat. Just need to adjust next time I'm out. No biggie.Great! Call if you need anything...
-Ty