PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Bike.....UPDATE!!!

RacerX
06-01-2004, 01:53 PM
There was a lenghthy discussion on here a few weeks ago about when and where the new 47/49 cc "Pocket Bike" or "Pocket Racers" are legal....
I explained that in the City Of San Diego, we were treating them as scooters until we recieved soem "expert/legal" ruling thru our City Atty or CHP. Well, that info came down on May 28th in a teletype notice from CHP to all agencies.
**The pocket bikes are essentially considered mini-motorcycles and consequently are going to be treated as such. That means in California you must:
- Have a Class "M" endorsement on your license
- The bike must be REGISTERED
- You need turn signals and mirrors
- You need a full blown motorcycle helmet
If you don't have it registered or you don't have the motorcycle endorsement, the bike will be impounded as well. I can't speak for everywhere else but in San Diego, the impound fees will cost at least $240.
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER:eek: I'M JUST PASSING ALONG THE LATEST UPDATE....

copperrat20
06-01-2004, 01:57 PM
God Damnit! I just bought four of them! Oh - well. Run em till I get caught!

fourspeednup
06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
That sucks. Thanks for the info though. I figured they were too fun to be legal:rolleyes:

ESB
06-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Can someone post a pic or link to exactly what kinda bike yall are talking about?

Some Kind Of Monster
06-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Something like this: http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/pocket_bike_red.html

HammerDown
06-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ESB
Can someone post a pic or link to exactly what kinda bike yall are talking about?
It looks like a baby Sport Bike...(crotch rocket)
But there going to be illegal everywhere unless registered just like any other motor vehicle.
Unless ya have a ton of private property to ride it on...it may be confiscated by the law if driven on puplic property (even for fun).

CHEETER-JOE
06-01-2004, 03:07 PM
we were riding them last Saturday, a cop rolled up and told us you need to be at least 16 and wear a helmet. Also told us we needed light since it was dark out...........duh!! But he was cool, let us all go even when we all had beers in our hands!!!

RacerX
06-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I just can't hardly believe that anyone would care if someone rode one of those around their neighborhood?
RD
You wouldn't believe the number of citizen complaints they generate. People hate the sound of them to start with, they are difficult to see on the roads because the people are so low to the ground and our biggest complaint area is that people are riding them in the parks with no regard for anybody else's safety.
We had about 6 calls yesteday in Mission Bay park complaining about them. My partner and I rode over there and were almost hit by a 15 year old girl doing at least 25 MPH on the sidewalk in the park. She went to go around us as if she didn't even see us and when we yelled "STOP", she looked back and promptly crashed. After we gave her a lecture (no ticket), people were clapping and saying thank you repeatedly as we left...

ESB
06-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Damn, Thats what I figured yall were talking about.
I found a Sport looking bike bigger than that but still uses small engine for $450 at freakin AutoZOne. I think its about 2'x3' Not so small that it hurts for a big guy like me to ride.
Im going to get it for carshows and stuff like that. I dont plan on going anyplace on it.

Kilrtoy
06-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I said two weeks ago that was the law, But thanks for the update....

HammerDown
06-01-2004, 03:52 PM
All our local auto parts houses has them...heck my local Pep Boys must have 20 of them $399.00 each.
Also those little Choppers. Kids want them but the fact is their not allowed on the streets or common driveways, school parking lots or store parking lots and if there is an accident involving a auto it's going to be a pain in the butt for the person driving the vehicle and not the pocket bike why> because they don't have insurance.:rolleyes:

eliot
06-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by CHEETER-JOE
we were riding them last Saturday, a cop rolled up and told us you need to be at least 16 and wear a helmet. Also told us we needed light since it was dark out...........duh!! But he was cool, let us all go even when we all had beers in our hands!!!
This law was written for stand up scooters such as gopeds, I'm not positive, but I think it excludes small motorcycles.

NorCal Gameshow
06-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by RacerX
You wouldn't believe the number of citizen complaints they generate. People hate the sound of them to start with, they are difficult to see on the roads because the people are so low to the ground and our biggest complaint area is that people are riding them in the parks with no regard for anybody else's safety.
We had about 6 calls yesteday in Mission Bay park complaining about them. My partner and I rode over there and were almost hit by a 15 year old girl doing at least 25 MPH on the sidewalk in the park. She went to go around us as if she didn't even see us and when we yelled "STOP", she looked back and promptly crashed. After we gave her a lecture (no ticket), people were clapping and saying thank you repeatedly as we left...
are we talking about scooters or lake lice??? kinda starting to sound like the same thing...:D

FOURQ
06-01-2004, 06:46 PM
hell who is interested in one i can get a shipment of 200 bikes and hell i would let them go for 300.00 each if i had enough buyers just need to sell 200 cash up front and i will get the 1/2 container of them..

eliot
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM

eliot
06-01-2004, 08:43 PM
result

Kilrtoy
06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Now that is the type of community I want to live in.
You call the cops for BS and they come quickly.....