PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession ...

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I still listen to music on uhhh ... cassette tapes. :o
Not only that but I really don't mind turning the tape over to hear the music on the other side. :o
I miss the sound of the needle on vinyl records too (some of the songs I have taped on cassette were recorded from vinyl records and the needle sound can be heard ... I kinda feel emotional about it.) :o
If you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry it's just stuff from in the olden days. ;) :D
If you do know what I'm talking about do you miss that stuff too or do you really prefer mp3's and cd's and such?
Confession is good for the soul. :cool: I feel much better now. :)

topless
06-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Well FM, I'm glad you came clean with your dirty little secret. Now we'll have to find a suitable punishment for you.;)

Krazy K
06-01-2004, 03:01 PM
You forgot 8 Track tapes!! I remember listening to them on the stereo in the car on the way out to the River!! And I'm only 35! I've got a big box of cassettes, couple of crates of records and I wouldn't sell them anytime soon. I guess it's the sentimental value, hanging on to youth. Once I figure out how, I will be transfering my records onto CD. Some of the records I have you can't even find on CD anywhere!
Ahhhh! The good ole days! (including being able to waterski at the river on a weekend in the summer!)

HammerDown
06-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Don't feel bad kid-o as I listen to cassette tapes I make up for my Corvette. Can't say I listen to vinyl much, but sometimes I dust off the ol collection.;)
Maybe I'll install a cassette deck in the crapper!:p

Rexone
06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
What about 4-tracks. on the Muntz blue light. :frown:

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by topless
Well FM, I'm glad you came clean with your dirty little secret. Now we'll have to find a suitable punishment for you.;)
Uh-oh. :eek: Maybe I shoulda not told. :o
Krazy K I thought I was embarassing myself enough about cassettes and vinyl records but since you mentioned it yes 8 tracks were awesome, too! They had programs and you could switch programs mid-song! :cool: My step-dad had Nazareth on 8 track (I didn't enjoy that music when I was 7 but I do now lol go figure!). I know what you mean about record albums being unavailable in cd format. I hate that when I can't find old faves on cd. :mad:
HammerDown what would your theme music be if you did? LMAO!! :D
Mike- 4 tracks? :confused: What are 4-tracks? ;) :D

sidewound
06-01-2004, 03:21 PM
4-tracks were the reel to reels we used in the 70's. I mean that some people used in the 70's. Really------ I'm not ancient. LOL
I remember stickin a matchbook under the 8-track in the player to get it to track right. Gees the gray matter still works.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Tom Brown
06-01-2004, 03:26 PM
FM, you forgot to mention the lesbian thing... or are you going to pick that up at your next confessional?

HammerDown
06-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
HammerDown what would your theme music be if you did? LMAO!! :D
Well, it would have to be some type of Super Hero toe tapper (when on the bowl...of course)!.
I just came back from China Buffet so maybe I'll get some Musical influence during my next visit to my porcelain paradise...with wet-naps by my side! :p

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 03:34 PM
sidewound when you mentioned matchbook jammed into the player to get the tape to play right I don't know why but I suddenly recalled a time my step-dad left 8 tracks on dash in the pick-up truck in the summertime ... not a pretty picture! :D Them things warped easily if memory serves. :eek: Maybe that's what made me think of it.
Tom ... when are you gonna quit hoping for that? LOL! :D Nevermind I already know :rolleyes: ... fine next week Tom wait for it ... just keep breathing ... I won't be held accountable for your death should you hold your breath. ;)

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Well, it would have to be some type of Super Hero toe tapper (when on the bowl...of course)!.
I just came back from China Buffet so maybe I'll get some Musical influence during my next visit to my porcelain paradise...with wet-naps by my side! :p
LMFAO! You just about killed me again! I snorted coffee and nearly drowned!!! :D :D :D

sidewound
06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
LMFAO! I snorted coffee !!! :D :D :D
Wow, That's gotta be a BUZZ!
CESAR

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sidewound
Wow, That's gotta be a BUZZ!
CESAR
Ha ha ha very funny :p :D

sidewound
06-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Ha ha ha very funny :p :D
FM I just tried it and it's no fun.:D :D :D
CESAR

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sidewound
FM I just tried it and it's no fun.:D :D :D
CESAR
if I'd been drinking coffee just now I mighta tried it again myself! LMAO!! :D :D

Tom Brown
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
... my step-dad left 8 tracks on dash in the pick-up truck in the summertime ...
Old Hang Sr. probably did well by the million candle power tune up.

eliminatedsprinter
06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I'll take this one further and say, after having both, I greatly prefer cassettes.:cool:

spectras only
06-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I had some RCA records by Arthuro Toscanini and Rubinstein ,and a Caruso record from the 20's .Gave them to a friend of mine who has a bunch of wind up record players also from the 20's.Talk about Hi-Fi:D . I still have a collection of ca 500 vinyls from the 50' 60' 70' . also have a Revox and Teac reel to reel with tapes to last days to listen from the 60's and 70's . I like to listen to CD's ,but the sound dynamics are different from reel to reel tapes. Many songs I've taped in the past are not available on CD's though:( . I haven't got a stereo in my boat :D

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
I'll take this one further and say, after having both, I greatly prefer cassettes.:cool:
I think you must be about the bravest man I've ever not technically met. :eek: ;) :D
I prefer cassettes too. Mainly cuz I can fix most probs I've encountered with them. With records- scratched is scratched. Same with cd's. Tapes can be spliced and re-recorded on. :cool: Mp3's bad file you gotta get rid of the whole song. I can take a tape apart and reassemble it and get it to work again most times. I know what to do if my cassette player is acting up. CD player I can vaccuum the dust out and that is about it. :D
If you have cassettes though you gotta have a Bic pen. The kind that fits perfectly into the reels of the cassette tape and will turn the reels like it was a key made specifically for that purpose. :cool:
I can spin a tape on a Bic pen if I need to save battery power (like when I'm travelling) instead of using my walkman to rewind. :D Cassette tapes are easy to pack too.
I'm digging a deeper well. :o

sidewound
06-01-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm digging a deeper well. :o
:D :D :D :D :D
Please continue! LOL
:cool:

jerry billet
06-01-2004, 04:31 PM
still listento the vinyl. And have an old Victrola crank up.
Me and the wife dance in the living room to some of that old stuff. even have some old Amos and Andy stuff, original radio programs and so on., Real neat to step back.
All my new CD's, mostly stuff from the 70's
Jerry

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by jerry billet
still listento the vinyl. And have an old Victrola crank up.
Me and the wife dance in the living room to some of that old stuff. even have some old Amos and Andy stuff, original radio programs and so on., Real neat to step back.
All my new CD's, mostly stuff from the 70's
Jerry
That is very cool. :cool:
I had an old fashioned big particle board stereo chest with a flip top lid that had a record player, 8 track and radio inside it. The record player had a 78 speed setting as well as the 33 1/3 and the 45. Speakers were built in. Adjustable treble and bass too. I miss that stereo something fierce. It was loud and it boomed. It shook walls and the floor too. I'd sit on top of it and sing along at the top of my lungs and still not be heard. :D :cool:
How'm I doing sidewound? ;) LOL! :D ... :o

Sleek-Jet
06-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
I had some RCA records by Arthuro Toscanini and Rubinstein ,and a Caruso record from the 20's .Gave them to a friend of mine who has a bunch of wind up record players also from the 20's.Talk about Hi-Fi:D . I still have a collection of ca 500 vinyls from the 50' 60' 70' . also have a Revox and Teac reel to reel with tapes to last days to listen from the 60's and 70's . I like to listen to CD's ,but the sound dynamics are different from reel to reel tapes. Many songs I've taped in the past are not available on CD's though:( . I haven't got a stereo in my boat :D
I've got Iron Butterfly on Reel to Reel that my Dad had. I've also got his Sony RtoR, plus a bunch of recorded RtoR tapes he made, lots Beatles stuff.

Cheap Thrills
06-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I feel your pain FM .
I grew up in my grandfathers electronic repair shop so the Audiophile bug bit me early on in life .
Ive always been an avid music lover of all flavors . I do miss vinyl LPs to me they have a warmer smoother sound with a hint of personality here and there (clicks & pops ) I also miss reading the performance specs for different turntables especially the wow and flutter rating ., wow and flutter , kinda reminds of an old girlfriend I had back in the day :p
I also miss the old 8 track tapes they were the shiz I can remember riding down the road listening to CCR "Heard It Through The Grapevine" and about midway into the song I remember , brrrr Kerchuk . the track would change and the song continued for another 6 min. ahhhh those were the days :D
I admit it , I am an addict , but some people are simply insane about it heres proof .
click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5701423704&rd=1)
C.T. :wink:

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Love the sound effects C.T. brought it all back! :D :D
Haven't clicked the link yet just had to comment on the sound effects while I'm still laughing! :D

Debbolas
06-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
What about 4-tracks. on the Muntz blue light. :frown:
I remember these, am I offically old now?
LOL:D

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 05:35 PM
No but you'll probably get away with cheating in the song chain more often now! ;) :D LOL!

Debbolas
06-01-2004, 05:37 PM
LOL:D

Cheap Thrills
06-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Love the sound effects C.T. brought it all back! :D :D
Haven't clicked the link yet just had to comment on the sound effects while I'm still laughing! :D
Ooooo Oooooo I hearrr * brrr kerchunk * dit through the grapevine , :D
LMAO

FMluvswater
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Me too, C.T.! :D :D Trying not to choke on my food!

hoolign
06-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Not only that but I really don't mind turning the tape over to hear the music on the other side. :o
I miss the sound of the needle on vinyl records too (some of the songs I have taped on cassette were recorded from vinyl records and the needle sound can be heard ... I kinda feel emotional about it.) :o
If you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry it's just stuff from in the olden days. ;) :D
If you do know what I'm talking about do you miss that stuff too or do you really prefer mp3's and cd's and such?
Confession is good for the soul. :cool: I feel much better now. :)
Just how fricken old are you woman:p The woman in the pictures looks like she was born when cd's came out...that's not an imposter????can't be!!!
did'nt cassetts go out with that bong jovi guy?:eek:

Dr. Eagle
06-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Krazy K
You forgot 8 Track tapes!! I remember listening to them on the stereo in the car on the way out to the River!! And I'm only 35! I've got a big box of cassettes, couple of crates of records and I wouldn't sell them anytime soon. I guess it's the sentimental value, hanging on to youth. Once I figure out how, I will be transfering my records onto CD. Some of the records I have you can't even find on CD anywhere!
Ahhhh! The good ole days! (including being able to waterski at the river on a weekend in the summer!)
I remember being able to hear all the songs on my cheap 8 track at once.......

victorfb
06-01-2004, 08:40 PM
im not sure i want to admit it but i even have some 8 tracks around here somewere, and to shock ya even more, ive got some reel to reel stuff including the player (ok 2 players):p and i dont care what you kids say, you cant beat the sound of reel to reel. anyone want to listen to ex. pres. Nixons resignation speech? i got that on reel to reel aswell. :D

Phat Matt
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Most of the music I buy is on vinyl. I DJ though and that's where all the good house music is released. Although more and more artist are putting out CDR's of tracks because it's much cheaper than pressing 500 copies of vinyl to distribute before a full pressing.

FMluvswater
06-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by hoolign
Just how fricken old are you woman:p The woman in the pictures looks like she was born when cd's came out...that's not an imposter????can't be!!!
did'nt cassetts go out with that bong jovi guy?:eek:
Pictures? :confused: I'm confused. What pictures? :D
I'm 34 years old that's what. :yuk:
I used to have 'Slippery When Wet' on on a black vinyl record aka an original album so the answer is- no, cassettes did not go out with Bon Jovi! :p ;) :D Okay I just re-read that and I'm aware I missed a step in the logic sequence but I know what I mean and it does so make sense so there :p :D!

MagicMtnDan
06-02-2004, 05:59 AM
I've still got a large box of cassettes with music on them - can't remember when I last listened to any of them. Got a bunch of cassettes with live concert recordings (from the radio) of groups like Dire Straits, Meat Loaf, Horselips, Bruce Springsteen - all great quality (for cassettes). Can't bear to part with them and can't deal with listening to them :rolleyes:
I recently bought a turntable and starting playing my old LPs (vinyl records) :D - they're in great shape and sound terrific on my Klipsch LaScala speakers.
Anyone wanna buy a couple hundred cassettes? :D

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 06:05 AM
our RV has a cassett tape player in it, so if you want to listen to music while you are driving you HAVE to use cassett tapes...;)

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I've still got a large box of cassettes with music on them - can't remember when I last listened to any of them. Got a bunch of cassettes with live concert recordings (from the radio) of groups like Dire Straits, Meat Loaf, Horselips, Bruce Springsteen - all great quality (for cassettes). Can't bear to part with them and can't deal with listening to them :rolleyes:
I recently bought a turntable and starting playing my old LPs (vinyl records) :D - they're in great shape and sound terrific on my Klipsch LaScala speakers.
Anyone wanna buy a couple hundred cassettes? :D
Geeez MMD I thought I was the only person who knew who Horselips were :D
" The Man Who Built America " gosh I havent heard that tune in ages think I'll dig it out of storage and give it spin :D

alfonzo
06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Some people either have way to much money or f'd up priorities! But I guess people that don't like boating can say the same thing.If you dont like boating,you got something seriously wrong with you!

Cheap Thrills
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by alfonzo
Some people either have way to much money or f'd up priorities! But I guess people that don't like boating can say the same thing.If you dont like boating,you got something seriously wrong with you!
:confused: are you related to Silverwing ?
:p