PDA

View Full Version : B&M Blower manuf.

daboot
05-25-2001, 05:24 PM
Need a little help guys, Can anyone please tell me who, what, when, where, about B&M blower manufacturer, I'd like to get spec. dimension for a 420 mega, possibly a website, and get a catalog and info. thanx in advance !!!!

needforspeed2
06-02-2001, 08:43 PM
IT'S NO LONGER B&M IT'S HOLLEY
TRY WWW.HOLLEY.COM (http://WWW.HOLLEY.COM)

daboot
06-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info. man, That helped alot

hellman2u
06-22-2001, 08:11 PM
10 years ago in good faith bought a b&m mega blower with the advice of bob endress who at that time was in the marine division the combo worked great . recently i pulled the motor to freshen and found rotor to case contact inside my 420 not in the middle of the rotors, but up against the front of the case, my fault/ i dont think so! so now where is b&m aka holley. i emailed holleys tech a week ago no reply hellmans not happy

hellman2u
06-22-2001, 08:25 PM
so to continue my saga i contacted a portland base company that has sold them and installed them for years. his picture was not good. as an old lover of b&m products do i bend over or is there help out there somewhere. how about it holley ? can you help or b&m are you washing your hands. im told you cant buy a blower unit by itself if you wanted to. is this true thanks for hearing me out hellman2u

daboot
06-23-2001, 06:34 AM
Well Hellman2U, I hope that was an isolated incident, And I'm sorry you ran into bad luck. If it was an manuf. quality control problem, maybe it was solved. Down where I run, PA, Susqeahanna river, Lake Clark, Long Level Marinas, "High Roller", a 25ft. Talon air intrappment, with a 514ci.b.b, 420 mega, twin 1050 dominators flowing 1400,8lbs. of boost, intercooled, g.p.s'd at 124.8. "Bullet Proof" A 22ft. Talon with a worked 502ci.420 mega, twin dom. g.p.s'd at 115, 4-5 lbs. of boost. "Bad Attitude" 22ft. Velocity running a 454 ci. 174 b&m, 850 holley,worked with all the goodies,5 lbs. of boost, g.p.s'd at 94. This is the person I'm digging info. up for. He's putting the mega on with twin 850 Nickerson carbs, Then next season he'll purchase a Eickert 540 crate motor. And another buddy is running a 25.5 ft. Offshore tunnel with a 540ci. 420 mega, superchiller, twin doms. New setup, just breaking in, So it wasn't g.p.s'd yet !! All set-ups, minus the last boat in break-in period are running on 3-5 seasons of trouble free service, knock on wood !! Sorry so long of a detail list on the "Bad Boys" of Lake Clark, But we believe in B&M, BUT, IF THEY (B&M,Holley) FALTER ONCE ON US,THERE WON'T BE A PROBLEM MAKING THEM ANCHOR WEIGHTS!! Peace and thanks for listen!!!!
[This message has been edited by daboot (edited June 23, 2001).]

skijake
06-23-2001, 07:54 AM
you may want to contact someone like Littlefield blowers in Anaheim california, or Mike Kaul in Santa Ana, California.
They can set you up with a blower that is disigned for your application and is not something off the shelf.
Each of they blowers they set up they work with the customer and make what they need. They look out for thier customer because they live off each blower and they know quality and their name means more business.
With Holley owning B&M (and every other product that use to be good)they are looking for a good return for thier corprate invester and not for you. To them it's the numbers they can produce and if they can have an assembly line and pay thier laborers less they can make more money. If one product is bad, oh well they can make the money elsewhere and if that product gets a bad name you just buy the company that has a good name now and drag it into the ground.
You don't see the big guys at the drag races running a B&M. I'm picked up a used blower from one of the big names and took it to Littlefields and they where very nice to deal with and helpfull on taking a blower that was on a top fueler and setting up to what I need for my boat with 8 pounds boost.
If you can't find a used one they have ones that they cast and ready to assemble when you tell them what you need.
[This message has been edited by skijake (edited June 23, 2001).]

daboot
06-24-2001, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input Skijake, Seeing that there's alot of negative vibes going around about B&M's aquisition, I'll being doing some window shopping. The plan was, That my buddy who has the 174 on his velocity as I stated earlier was going to jump up to the 420 mega and I was going to aquire his 174 for my jet application, I'm getting to whole set,hardware and plumbing for $400 bucks. When I take my motor to the machine for set-up dyno he'll tell me if the 174 needs any serv. or not. I ride shotgun during all serious runs with the g.p.s. and drive the boat occasionally, and know for a fact the my buddy doesn't abuse the application and he only runs 5 honest lbs. of boost. So I know I'm getting a good chger. I DIFFENITLY WILL LISTEN TO MY MACHINE SHOP AND IF HE STATES THAT THE BLOWER ISN'T ANY GOOD, I'LL BE CHKING. OUT THE LITTLEFEILD APPLICATION, sorry response was long, but I wanted u 2 know I respect your opinion!! Peace and all that good stuff. GIVE A ROOSTER TALE AND I'LL GIVE YOU A WAVE !!!!
[This message has been edited by daboot (edited June 24, 2001).]

skijake
06-27-2001, 08:18 AM
Good Luck with what ever application you end up with.
It's always fun to have more horsepower and for the price it sounds good.
Don't forget the added abuse the shortblock will take and don't run lean
Good luck

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hellman2u:
10 years ago in good faith bought a b&m mega blower with the advice of bob endress who at that time was in the marine division the combo worked great . recently i pulled the motor to freshen and found rotor to case contact inside my 420 not in the middle of the rotors, but up against the front of the case, my fault/ i dont think so! so now where is b&m aka holley. i emailed holleys tech a week ago no reply hellmans not happy[/QUOT
I build blower motors for a living as well as rig and boats. I have been using B&M blowers for about 2 years and have yet to have a blower related failure due to the blower design. I have had a similar problem as your dealing with on a customers boat that we installed 2 blown 540's. He brought the boat to us and thought that because the blowers were wining more than usual, he wanted us to take them off and install new ones. These particular units were only about 4 months old so I was real curious to find out what was causing it. As it turns out, the owner was a SHADETREE mechanic and had NEVER owned a blower motor. One morning he decided he was gonna do a little maintanence and noticed how loose his blower belts were so he decided he would tighten them up just as you would a fan belt which most people usually over tighten. He told me that it hadn't made so much noise until AFTER he tightened the belts. I adjusted then according to HOLLEY's recent notice an the noise went away. I decided that since we had the boat in our shop maybe we should pull the blowers and check them out. What I found was front rotor to case contact. When I contacted my guy at holley he stated that was why they sent a bulletin on blower belt tention. Blower blets tighten up A TON when the heat up and this most likely is what happened to you. Hope it helps. Email me and I will give you they guys number AT Holley that can help you.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by daboot:
Need a little help guys, Can anyone please tell me who, what, when, where, about B&M blower manufacturer, I'd like to get spec. dimension for a 420 mega, possibly a website, and get a catalog and info. thanx in advance !!!! Email me with what you would like to know about them. I sell them so maybe i can help.

gmocnik
08-08-2001, 12:37 PM
recently had a blower failure with my relatively new 250....boat just lost about 1500 rpm at wot....idled o.k., just felt short of h.p......
after looking at everything under the sun...looked down thru the carb and ....blower rotors just sitting there...the front drive shaft was sheared in two!!!!! no blower... no boost...no h.p.
engine builder "i've never seen that before"...
why me????why my wallet???
gm

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by daboot:
Well Hellman2U, I hope that was an isolated incident, And I'm sorry you ran into bad luck. If it was an manuf. quality control problem, maybe it was solved. Down where I run, PA, Susqeahanna river, Lake Clark, Long Level Marinas, "High Roller", a 25ft. Talon air intrappment, with a 514ci.b.b, 420 mega, twin 1050 dominators flowing 1400,8lbs. of boost, intercooled, g.p.s'd at 124.8. "Bullet Proof" A 22ft. Talon with a worked 502ci.420 mega, twin dom. g.p.s'd at 115, 4-5 lbs. of boost. "Bad Attitude" 22ft. Velocity running a 454 ci. 174 b&m, 850 holley,worked with all the goodies,5 lbs. of boost, g.p.s'd at 94. This is the person I'm digging info. up for. He's putting the mega on with twin 850 Nickerson carbs, Then next season he'll purchase a Eickert 540 crate motor. And another buddy is running a 25.5 ft. Offshore tunnel with a 540ci. 420 mega, superchiller, twin doms. New setup, just breaking in, So it wasn't g.p.s'd yet !! All set-ups, minus the last boat in break-in period are running on 3-5 seasons of trouble free service, knock on wood !! Sorry so long of a detail list on the "Bad Boys" of Lake Clark, But we believe in B&M, BUT, IF THEY (B&M,Holley) FALTER ONCE ON US,THERE WON'T BE A PROBLEM MAKING THEM ANCHOR WEIGHTS!! Peace and thanks for listen!!!!
Hey man..Sounds like you boys up north like your toys. I just have one question? Since the B&M 420 Megablower has cast-in 2x4's on the blower case, how did you get a pair of dominators to fit? They (Holley) don't make an adapter to fit dominators on a 420. Did you get it done somewhere else?

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by skijake:
you may want to contact someone like Littlefield blowers in Anaheim california, or Mike Kaul in Santa Ana, California.
They can set you up with a blower that is disigned for your application and is not something off the shelf.
Each of they blowers they set up they work with the customer and make what they need. They look out for thier customer because they live off each blower and they know quality and their name means more business.
With Holley owning B&M (and every other product that use to be good)they are looking for a good return for thier corprate invester and not for you. To them it's the numbers they can produce and if they can have an assembly line and pay thier laborers less they can make more money. If one product is bad, oh well they can make the money elsewhere and if that product gets a bad name you just buy the company that has a good name now and drag it into the ground.
You don't see the big guys at the drag races running a B&M. I'm picked up a used blower from one of the big names and took it to Littlefields and they where very nice to deal with and helpfull on taking a blower that was on a top fueler and setting up to what I need for my boat with 8 pounds boost.
If you can't find a used one they have ones that they cast and ready to assemble when you tell them what you need.
[This message has been edited by skijake (edited June 23, 2001).][/QUOTE
So....you took a 16:71 Topfuel blower and are now using it at 8lbs? What is it on? I build several blower motors a year using B&M as well as dealing with BDS on my blown alcohol 632ci BBC. Why is it that whenever someone has a problem with a product we start blaming the company responsible for building it. MAYBE, it is the user who is a bonehead and doesn't know jack about blower motors and how to maintain them. I would wonder how "crappy" a product it is since Mercury uses the B&M blower on ALL of their SC series marine engines and put a sweet warranty on them to boot. One more thing. The only reason you don't see the pro's using them is simply because the B&M doesn't move enough air like a 16:71 fuel blower on alcohol or nitro. It was designed to be a relatively simple bolt-on to boost a marine engine. I learned my engine building craft as Teague Custom marine. He still uses the B&M on motors upto around 700-800hp. Anything above that gets the proper size blower normally 8:71 upto a 14:71. Hope this helps. Happy boating!!!!!

onepasss
01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey man..Sounds like you boys up north like your toys. I just have one question? Since the B&M 420 Megablower has cast-in 2x4's on the blower case, how did you get a pair of dominators to fit? They (Holley) don't make an adapter to fit dominators on a 420. Did you get it done somewhere else?
Hi I would like more info about this artical I would like to go to Dominators on my 420 MegaBlower

ghittner
01-10-2007, 11:23 PM
420 Mega remaned by TBS on a 496 runnin' strong @ 8 pds all year!

VDRIVERACING
01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Blower motors are different animals than their naturally aspirated cousins. Once we start down that path as consumers, we eventually learn that blower motors require all kinds of specialized parts, and the same rules for head size and cam specs are different too. I've read some threads where people are thinking about adding a blower to a motor that was built as a natually aspirated setup. I try to talk them out of that.
The moral of the story, is if you have a blower motor, make sure you have it serviced by a tuner/builder. Now, I'm not ragging on someone who may have over-tightened a belt, ALL of us have learned costly lessons. I do suggest, humbly, that you have your blower repaired and have an expert reinstall and adjust. I have an 8-71, and send it in to Mooneyham every year to check bearings, seals, and timing. Cheap insurance on a device rotating at high speeds directly above your engines intake...

hellman2u
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow ! Old thread , I had not overtightened belt. Seems as there was an inherent issue with some of them. I years ago got rid of the megablower and got ahold of the Blower shop and never looked back. I now run a TBS 10-71 and intercooler. Very nice stuff ! If you have any questions on the BM blowers I would give Eric at the Blower shop a call. They have serviced and fixed them for many years and know their ins and outs. Jim