PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Stats - Mem Day Weekend.

carbonmarine
06-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Safe holiday weekend reported
BY MARK HALL
Tuesday, June 1, 2004 11:03 PM MDT
There were no fatalities on Lake Havasu this Memorial Day weekend, according to preliminary reports made Tuesday by area law enforcement agencies.
Last year, authorities reported three deaths on the lake.
Aside from a boating accident near Copper Canyon early Saturday, officials were kept busy enforcing laws and trying to maintain public safety along the waterways.
Lake Havasu City officials closed Bridgewater Channel to boat traffic on Saturday and Sunday for periods of about two hours each, after carbon monoxide levels reached critical levels.
Lake Havasu City police arrested 276 people, 60 percent for alcohol-related offenses. Of those arrests, 145 were issued in Bridgewater Channel. A majority of those arrests were issued to out-of-state visitors.
Twenty-four percent of the arrests were for disorderly conduct offenses, which included incidents of indecent exposure and fighting.
While there were 51 more arrests than last year (225) and more people in the Channel, crowds were pretty compliant, officials said.
"There were a lot of boats, a lot of people, but no incidents," said Lt. Richie Sloma. "People were complying."
City officials responded to 817 calls for service, as compared to 1,215 last year.
The Mohave County Sheriff's Office made 36 arrests, 22 of which were for boat operation under the influence violations and 14 for underage consumption of alcohol offenses. In addition, deputies issued 78 citations for safety violations.
The MCSO made about 20 arrests last Memorial Day weekend.
Deputies responded to eight boating accidents, two of which resulted in injuries.
On the California side of the lake and along the Colorado River, the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department made 52 arrests for boating under the influence, three for public intoxication and one for reckless operation. Those 56 arrests compare to 51 the department made last year.
In addition to the serious boating collision near Copper Canyon, the SBSD is investigating three other incidents.
You may contact the reporter at mhall@havasunews.com.

carbonmarine
06-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Would seem to me from the article above that the Sheriffs Depts of AZ & CA are the agencies handing out the DUI's ...

shueman
06-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Here's a news blurb on the Copper Canyon accident:
Accident investigated
LAKE HAVASU - The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department released information Monday night about a boating accident over the weekend. A 2004 Magic Cat28 ran aground into the California shoreline just south of Copper Canyon at around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Six passengers and the driver, Gregory Kilbanov of Woodland Hills, CA, all suffered injuries. Some only dealt with minor cuts, however one female did end up with a broken pelvis. The San Bernardino County preliminary investigation indicated alcohol may have been a factor. The collision remains under investigation.

OGShocker
06-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by shueman
Accident investigated
LAKE HAVASU - California shoreline just south of Copper Canyon at around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. .
Hmmmmm.

KrazyKa
06-02-2004, 11:58 AM
J & J Salvage out of Havasu currently has that Magic and is looking to deal on it. I don't know the situation (other than they did the recovery) that put them with the boat. It had very few hours on it (trying to remember, I want to say under 20) and was told it had dual 525s. There is fire damage to the bottom half of the boat.

CA Stu
06-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by shueman
Accident investigated
LAKE HAVASU - The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department released information Monday night about a boating accident over the weekend. A 2004 Magic Cat28 ran aground into the California shoreline just south of Copper Canyon at around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Six passengers and the driver, Gregory Kilbanov of Woodland Hills, CA, all suffered injuries. Some only dealt with minor cuts, however one female did end up with a broken pelvis. The San Bernardino County preliminary investigation indicated alcohol may have been a factor. The collision remains under investigation.
Just goes to show you, just because you may be able to buy a big, new, fast boat doesn't mean you should!
If you're drunk, going fast enough to break a passnger's pelvis at 4am, maybe you should sell that baby and buy an aluminum fishing boat w/ a 5 hp outboard!
Thank goodness he nailed the shore and not some other boaters!
Hope everyone's OK, drive careful ya dummy!
Thanks
CA Stu

al cole'holic
06-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKa
J & J Salvage out of Havasu currently has that Magic and is looking to deal on it. I don't know the situation (other than they did the recovery) that put them with the boat. It had very few hours on it (trying to remember, I want to say under 20) and was told it had dual 525s. There is fire damage to the bottom half of the boat.
..just curious, what right does this J&J Salvage have to sell this boat??

copperrat20
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Also curious, does anyone know how much they want or how much damage there is besides the fire?

KrazyKa
06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
..just curious, what right does this J&J Salvage have to sell this boat??
As I stated in my original post...
I don't know the situation (other than they did the recovery) that put them with the boat.
I can think of a few "legitimate" reasons that all end in the salvage company not getting paid. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED. I have no idea on the particulars. Could have been a case of fantasizing/foreshadowing on the parts of J & J.

al cole'holic
06-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKa
As I stated in my original post...
I can think of a few "legitimate" reasons that all end in the salvage company not getting paid. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED. I have no idea on the particulars. Could have been a case of fantasizing/foreshadowing on the parts of J & J.
..just a general question in case anyone knew :D

KrazyKa
06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
:D Just didn't want to be putting words in anyone's mouth.

QuickJet
06-02-2004, 05:44 PM
They can hold the boat until they get paid for the recovery. A lean is almost immedietly placed on the boat by the recovery company and storage is added up daily. If a loan is still out on the boat then the bank is notified of it's wherabouts. If it is paid off then the registered owner is notified. If either doesn't lay claim to the boat and not pay the recovery and storage fees, then the boat is sold under a lean. Usually a 30 day process, however with this boat it may fall under the 45 day rule depending on it's value.

BoatPI
06-02-2004, 05:56 PM
If anyone knows the owner, or who his insurance company is, please PM me.

al cole'holic
06-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by QuickJet
They can hold the boat until they get paid for the recovery. A lean is almost immedietly placed on the boat by the recovery company and storage is added up daily. If a loan is still out on the boat then the bank is notified of it's wherabouts. If it is paid off then the registered owner is notified. If either doesn't lay claim to the boat and not pay the recovery and storage fees, then the boat is sold under a lean. Usually a 30 day process, however with this boat it may fall under the 45 day rule depending on it's value.
I find it a little fishy that this would have happened on Saturday, and here it is Wednesday and someone thinks this salvage yard is "looking to deal"...:confused: