PDA

View Full Version : Night Ride at 4:00 am!

summerlove
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Found this interesting...
Accident investigated
LAKE HAVASU - The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department released information Monday night about a boating accident over the weekend. A 2004 Magic Cat28 ran aground into the California shoreline just south of Copper Canyon at around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. Six passengers and the driver, Gregory Kilbanov of Woodland Hills, CA, all suffered injuries. Some only dealt with minor cuts, however one female did end up with a broken pelvis. The San Bernardino County preliminary investigation indicated alcohol may have been a factor. The collision remains under investigation.
Brand new boat! Wow! :frown:

alfonzo
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
That f'n sucks. good luck to all the people involved.

dicudmore
06-02-2004, 01:03 PM
4 am??
Boats should not be running....

jackpunx
06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I think a late night cruise is cool.. Just should not get up on plane..

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 01:06 PM
4A.M.
What the hell were they thinking, Obviously NOT

jackpunx
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Yea.. and you know where you are going.. or at least you can point the guy driving in the right direction..

jackpunx
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
I think a late night cruise is cool.. Just should not get up on plane..
re tract that one
Unless you know where you are.. and should not go over 25

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
4 am??
Boats should not be running....
He was probably trying to sleep it off in the channel, but got kicked out! ;)
I made that up, but it could of happened.
RTJas :D <-- Believes they should allow O/N parking in the channel.

Ziggy
06-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Yea.. and you know where you are going.. or at least you can point the guy driving in the right direction..
LOL-that brings back a few memorable threads--:D
And What RTJas said could be rather true since they were to enforce overnighters in the channal---wouldn't that make LE feel chitty....

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Full Moon this weekend, nice night ride weather.....:D

dicudmore
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
He was probably trying to sleep it off in the channel, but got kicked out! ;)
I made that up, but it could of happened.
RTJas :D <-- Believes they should allow O/N parking in the channel.
Dan <-- also believes they should allow overnight parking in the channel

Tom Foolery
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
On almost all my trips to Mohave I get there about Midnight & launch then run out to meet my parents who stay 6-10 up the lake. I know the lake well enough to run it on memory & the navigation lights and I do run up on plane. (25-30 MPH) It would take forever if I didn't.

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
On holiday weekends, I often don't even put the boat in the water until night time. No sense in doing it.
I think that a boat on the water at night should be well lit, have good observers and a great floodlight on board. Past that, have at it.

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I can see going for a night ride in a place you are VERY familiar with, but after this weekend at Lake Mead and all the hidden, unmarked rocks....I don't know........................
Debbolas<----------CAN'T SPELL TO SAVE HER LIFE:eek:

Hallett19
06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
On holiday weekends, I often don't even put the boat in the water until night time. No sense in doing it.
I think that a boat on the water at night should be well lit, have good observers and a great floodlight on board. Past that, have at it.
Amen. As long as the boat is properly equiped and the driver is VERY familiar with the water and where to boat, there is no harm or foul launching at midnight and rockin out till 4 or 5am, we have been guilty of that at least a dozen and a half times. And about the getting on plane comment, I think a night cruise across havasu or up and down parker or even if the driver knows the deep parts of martinez, full roost, stereo, etc....... good times are guaranteed !!

BOBALOO
06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
We went for a night ride fri, sat ,and sunday usually not leaving until 10:00 or 11:00 and coming back at 2:30 am. I had a good observer besides myself,my spot light and we had no problems.
My favorite time to be on the water is at night especially when there is a bright moon and how else are we supposed to drive between 2 to 10 miles but on plane? granted it is barely on plane.

wsuwrhr
06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Haha
Since when is 4am nighttime? I get up at 4 to be at work at 6AM
haha
Just curious
Brian

91nordic29
06-02-2004, 03:18 PM
kind makes ya worry about anchoring at night to sleep. some boozo doesnt know where the lake ends and plows right through.:eek:

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
kind makes ya worry about anchoring at night to sleep. some boozo doesnt know where the lake ends and plows right through.:eek:
Stay close to shore... no dramas.
In any case, the boat should be WELL lit with anchoring lights. My anchoring light is twice as bright, maybe more, and a lot taller than my stern light. Can't be too safe.

BrendellaJet
06-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Tom Foolery
On almost all my trips to Mohave I get there about Midnight & launch then run out to meet my parents who stay 6-10 up the lake. I know the lake well enough to run it on memory & the navigation lights and I do run up on plane. (25-30 MPH) It would take forever if I didn't.
6-10 what, miles? That makes sense...
Didn't know they allowed that there. I wonder if one of those big 2million candle lights would help much out there? Although on a clear night, with all the moon and stars I bet you could see pretty well?

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
I have to tell you everytime I saw a Nordic this weekend I thought about you and the dancing on the deck thing....LOL:D

91nordic29
06-02-2004, 03:37 PM
how funny. if i thought i could do it without slipping right the heck off, i would do it. wearing my "fruit hat" no less!

CA Stu
06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I have run down the middle of Havasu at midnight at regular daytime speed.
Legal lights, no worries.
The secret?
Backlit GPS on my dash, scrolling real time map of the lake.
However, my boat is far less than an 04 Magic Cat28 with twin big blocks.
Even so, like I posted in the other "Weekend stats" thread, this is further proof that just because someone is able to buy a big fast boat, doesn't mean they should.
(Kinda like a fast streetbike, but that's a whole nother rant.)
If you're a drunk idiot roaring around fast enough to break one of your passenger's pelvis at 4 am, do everyone a favor and get a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 5 hp motor.
Thanks
CA Stu

Tom Foolery
06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
6-10 what, miles? That makes sense...
Didn't know they allowed that there. I wonder if one of those big 2million candle lights would help much out there? Although on a clear night, with all the moon and stars I bet you could see pretty well?
Yeah miles. Damn my typing skills.:(
The spotlights help if you keep their use to a minimum. They kill your night vision especially when they illuminate the deck of your boat. I ususally hit the shore to each side every so often to double check my position, or better yet have my wife do it so I keep the night vision going, Personally I would think that useing a spot light full time would be worse.

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19
Amen. As long as the boat is properly equiped and the driver is VERY familiar with the water and where to boat, there is no harm or foul launching at midnight and rockin out till 4 or 5am, we have been guilty of that at least a dozen and a half times. And about the getting on plane comment, I think a night cruise across havasu or up and down parker or even if the driver knows the deep parts of martinez, full roost, stereo, etc....... good times are guaranteed !!
Ever get the sense somebody is talking about you.... :D

Havasu Hangin'
06-02-2004, 03:53 PM
I've made that run many times.
The number one rule? Don't hit anything.
The number two rule? See #1.
Spotlights don't help much, unless you shine them on the reflective tape of a marker buoy. I usually follow the marker beacons on the point around the island.
Even with the marker beacons, with no moon it is very hairball. With a full moon, the exact opposite- you'd have to be an idiot to hit the shore.
That guy had alot of lake if he turned left or right...he may have been trying to find the bay on the Cali side.
GPS this year!

PICKLEtheLOAD
06-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Ever get the sense somebody is talking about you.... :D
FUN WITH DIVERTERS comes highly recommended at night. That way the bystanders can just say they "hurrrd" ;) :D

DEEZ NUTTS
06-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Anybody tried night vision scopes or goggles? I usually run the last 4-5 miles to camp Friday evenings on Powell in the dark and I hate it. I hate missing the party even more.

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DEEZ NUTTS
Anybody tried night vision scopes or goggles? I usually run the last 4-5 miles to camp Friday evenings on Powell in the dark and I hate it. I hate missing the party even more.
Funny you mention this... next year active night vision (FLIR) is coming as an option on the Revolution.
Litton couldn't get me parts in time to prototype it this year. We will be doing it for sure though. Running through the DVD screen for a monitor.
It makes buoys look like campfires, and make the darkest nights look like a full moon.

Hallett19
06-02-2004, 06:31 PM
night vision on a boat....... toit like toiger !!!!

Boatcop
06-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Lake Havasu is one of the easiest lakes to navigate at night. With the Range lights all along the lake south of the Island, and the point lights, I don't see how anyone could run into the shoreline.
But they still do.
Just goes to show that having an expensive boat doesn't make you a boater.

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
More of an insurance risk.........

summerlove
06-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Lake Havasu is one of the easiest lakes to navigate at night. With the Range lights all along the lake south of the Island, and the point lights, I don't see how anyone could run into the shoreline.
But they still do.
I wonder what condition the boat is in today?

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I wonder what condition the boat is in today?
Most likely a little shorter......

summerlove
06-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Most likely a little shorter......
I'd love to see it! I remember a few years back when a big Hallet (I think a 36), ran ashore near pilot rock. Driver fell asleep on the way back to the marina and they ran it clear up on the shore. No injuries, but the boat is still out there (it's back and running on the water), it's called:
D.O.M. (Dirty Old Man) and is owned by a HUGE man of about 300 pounds!

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 08:07 PM
They can fix an awful lot these days and make em good as new. I bet it will be back on the water, probably will have a different owner though........

shadow
06-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
They can fix an awful lot these days and make em good as new. I bet it will be back on the water, probably will have a different owner though........
Hopefully a new owner,I don't think any of us want the previous owner driving a boat around our families or boats.Don't think he will be getting his insurance renewed anytime soon either.

Three Days Only
06-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I have made the trip from the channel all the way to needles in the middle of the night, on numerous occassions after 2:00am with full moon and no moon. You just need to use common sense. You all drive your cars at night right!!!!!!!! One good flood light is all it takes. Just cruise at 30, and 1 hour or so later your there. Some of the best times I have had, have been out at night on the booze cruise.
Jeff

Magic34
06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Twin big blocks don't fit in that boat, so the story has some flaws from the salvage company's story, but none the less I agree with the second comment of the drunk idiot.
The 28 cat with the 525 should still run 80 MPH though.
I don't even drink when operating my boat. The last thing I want is someone taking everything I work hard for. Night rides are safe if you know the waters and know your limitations.
Originally posted by CA Stu
However, my boat is far less than an 04 Magic Cat28 with twin big blocks.
If you're a drunk idiot roaring around fast enough to break one of your passenger's pelvis at 4 am, do everyone a favor and get a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 5 hp motor.
Thanks
CA Stu

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Magic34
know your limitations.
Cuz Clint said..... a man's gotta know his limitations........:D