PDA

View Full Version : moving - when is it ok to ask for help

dimarcobros
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
What is it with some people that always ask for help moving? I don't mind every now and then to pull my back out but don't lay a guilt trip when I have a river trip planned.:mad:
What do you think i told him?
Also, one of the main reasons I got rid of my truck was because someone always has something to be moved. I was the only one of my friends that had one so I always got the call.
DMB

OGShocker
06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
If you were the only one with a truck, odds are you were the only one with a boat. I think you need a better class of friends.;)

CrazyHippy
06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm willing to help as long as they are willing to work around my schedule.
BJH

summerlove
06-02-2004, 12:29 PM
I've never asked for help moving because I don't want anyone to ask me for help...
Fortunately, I'm too old now and no one would ask me anyway because all I'd do is tell them how to pack it, how to do it, where to stick it, and I'd drink all their beer...
Tell em to call Mayflower....;)

dimarcobros
06-02-2004, 12:36 PM
I pretty much told them to pound sand.......I am going to the river.
:D :D :D
Like there was any question:cool: :rolleyes:
DMB

malibuken
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
I believe you chose wisely dimarcobros :D :D
Hmmm lets see, Boats, Babes, Booze, Babes, Boats, :cool: ...... OR ...... Box cuts, sweating, yelling, manual labor, sprained back :mad:....... I would have to go with the Boats, Babes, and Booze. :D
Just my opinion though. ;)

HCS
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I run into the same thing at work. People I work with want help
moving. I tell them the same thing. Pound sand.
Why in the hell would I want to help them move.:confused:

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 01:03 PM
NEVER
Don't ask,
Cuz I would never ask......

SoCalOffshore
06-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Tell them most moving companies have toll free numbers.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-02-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm with RD, if I've got plans I won't help, but if available, I'm there for my friends. Fortunately, my friends now pay soemone to move the furniture and we just move the boxes and easy stuff. No use throwing someone back out moving a refrigerator or bed.

superdave013
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
I know that feeling. I've owned countless trucks so people are always asking me.
I'm pretty much over it now but I do still help those who have a slight chance of returning the favor someday.
But most of the time I use my new school of thought.
Most ask to use the truck just thinking that my back will come with it. Sooooooooo, now when I get the call to use the truck I say "sure, come on over and get it". I'm busy but if you need the truck have at it. lol No one has used it yet.

HCS
06-02-2004, 01:18 PM
No wonder I don't have any friends.:p

superdave013
06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
If you have a trip or something planned I can see not helping.. but if you don't have shit going on why not help them? After all that's what "friends" do right? Help each other out?
RD
How many open bed trucks have you owned? It get's old after awhile, trust me.
For friends it's one thing but for the sisters boyfriend's brother it gets old quick.
Now that you guys got me thinking about it. I have helped more people move to count. Then when it was my turn I couldn't get anyone to help. I had one friend that helped and one guy I didn't even know help (new hire at work). All those people that dented up my trucks with their shit were no were to be found.
Maybe that's why I have the new 'tude about it.
Plus, why would you want to use my truck when you can rent u Hauls so cheep and do it in one load?

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 01:23 PM
There is no excuse to ask for help moving.
My friends call Bekins. So do I. I do enough nice things for my friends without dealing with moving.
I only wish my damn family (more specifically, my wife's family) felt the same way...
I hate moving. I would wish it on nobody, and hate it when it is wished on me. The only thing worse is painting...

Lightning
06-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
There is no excuse to ask for help moving.
My friends call Bekins. So do I. I do enough nice things for my friends without dealing with moving.
I only wish my damn family (more specifically, my wife's family) felt the same way...
I hate moving. I would wish it on nobody, and hate it when it is wished on me. The only thing worse is painting...
I concur, moving and painting suck, however when a friend is in need - even though he won't ask I will usually offer to help, because that's what friends do.
Of course there is the understanding that everything will be packed prior to arrival.
There is only about 2-3 friends of mine who I will help move and I know they would do the same in a heartbeat. None-the-less, when applicable call Mayflower, Allied, Starving Students, etc.... For local moves, it's not that expensive and is usually quicker.

XTRM22
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Not everyone can afford to pay a mover, if my friends need help, I help my friends. I've owned pickups for like 20 years now and I ownly get asked for help by good friends, the ones who show up to help without being asked. My neighbor, and friend was moving his son into a new house over Memorial day, I was going to the river, but volunteered my box trailer for them to use. I hope I don't need help moving anytime soon, but if I do I know I'll have friends who'll offer to help.
Chuck

ROZ
06-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I concur, moving and painting suck, however when a friend is in need - even though he won't ask I will usually offer to help, because that's what friends do.
Of course there is the understanding that everything will be packed prior to arrival.
There is only about 2-3 friends of mine who I will help move and I know they would do the same in a heartbeat. ...
I agree.....The few GOOD friends I have as well as immediate family are pretty much the only people I'd offer to help. I

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Damn Froggy,
You and I agree on alot of stuff almost eye to eye......

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Damn Froggy,
You and I agree on alot of stuff almost eye to eye......
I know.... scary huh?
Wanna buy a boat? :D

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 02:25 PM
too much for me, Althought it is looking sweet so far....

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
too much for me, Althought it is looking sweet so far....
Thanks. Lots of work this week.
Almost done though!

GlastronGuy
06-02-2004, 02:29 PM
I'll be moving into the Playboy mansion on July fourth. Can anyone help me?

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I'll be moving into the Playboy mansion on July fourth. Can anyone help me?
NO
While you are moving,
ALL the bunnies will be at my pad:yuk:

Up 4 River
06-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
What is it with some people that always ask for help moving? I don't mind every now and then to pull my back out but don't lay a guilt trip when I have a river trip planned.:mad:
What do you think i told him?
Also, one of the main reasons I got rid of my truck was because someone always has something to be moved. I was the only one of my friends that had one so I always got the call.
DMB
If I remember correctly I helped you move one time!:D You had a truck, but I was still there with mine as well. By the way, I'd ask you to help me even if we had to stuff your Tahoe full.:D

Magic34
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
We own a moving company and I actually have friends ask me to get one of our trucks and help them move on the weekends that our company is slow (maybe 1 weekend every 6-8 weeks).
I don't move my own sh*t personally, I pay our guys to do it. What makes them think I am touching theirs.
I have actually helped 2-3 times as well. Every friend calls for boxes and that is all I hook them up with now.

dimarcobros
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Up 4 River
If I remember correctly I helped you move one time!:D You had a truck, but I was still there with mine as well. By the way, I'd ask you to help me even if we had to stuff your Tahoe full.:D
I was not talking about you, nice try though.
DMB

Krumbsnatcher
06-02-2004, 02:54 PM
The way I handled it was spring break and Memorial day, stay at my house and party with my crew, ride on boats. But expect to work on moving my house to storage and then being now moving my stuff out of storage back into my house.
Anyone else that expects to go to the river, not a chance. The offer only lasted while i needed the help.

Cole
06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
A couple of "undocumented workers" from home depot parking lot, a truck from u-haul, A bull horn, brush up on the ol espanol, piece of cake!
:D