PDA

View Full Version : The Next Big Fad in Boat Gels...

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
These rough guesses and I'll admit they overlapped, but here we go...
Through the 90s went......Pink & Teal, checkers, flags, ending with tribal flames around 2000, traditional flames are passing fast as a fad ...... so what's next????
I foresee we will see much more use of metal-flake and airbrushing at the 2005 LA Boat Show!!! But that's just me....what do you see as the next Pink & Teal???
RTJas :D

CrazyHippy
06-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I too am seeing the writing on the wall for more metal flake...
We can all drive big arse bass boats:rolleyes:
BJH

HCS
06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Monster garage themes. Sculls and crosses. Like Screams boat.;)

RiverLife
06-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking more airbrushing as well. I think people are going to try to put what they have seen on all of these TV shows, on to there boats. Ghost images within flames, more detail, etc.

WILDERTHANU
06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I HOPE THE CHANGE IS QUICK....80% OF THE GEL WORK I SEE IS CRAP, MAKES ME SICK!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO "TIMELESS" WORK.

Kahuna
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
http://www.parkermitch.com/pics/aftershock640/aftershock025.gif

dicudmore
06-02-2004, 12:54 PM
the aforementioned Scream boat....
this thing is really awesome to see in person
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385memorial2004_028-med.jpg

dicudmore
06-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
I HOPE THE CHANGE IS QUICK....80% OF THE GEL WORK I SEE IS CRAP, MAKES ME SICK!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO "TIMELESS" WORK.
timeless? hoping my red/white/blue thing will last a few years

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566our_boat_at_the_boat_show.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Great_engine_cover_-med.jpg
Did someone mention our boat?:D :D
We have ghost flames near the bow and my son drew the skull that Kachina stitched on the engine cover.
(I wanted a red/white & blue theme, like dicudmore's boat)
((or Legolas)):D

superdave013
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
Wilder, some of us still understand the all time timeless classic look!

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 01:12 PM
I think that the trend is going to be towards copyrighted and trademark protected graphic designs... ;)

Dribble
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
The next big thing ?
Brown and yellow with brown diamond tuck interior and brown carpet. Black faced VDO gauges with a Sun Super Tach.

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
RIGHT THE **** ON... :)
RD
You mean like, for example, magenta, blue and neon green swoops as an example of truly timeless graphics?

Dave C
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
puke green, brown and yeller.....:D

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
You mean like, for example, magenta, blue and neon green swoops as an example of truly timeless graphics?
I thought he was refering to what he copied off of Superdave's boat.

Sandbar Mike
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
These rough guess and I'll admit they overlapped, but here we go...
Through the 90s went......Pink & Teal, checkers, flags, ending with tribal flames around 2000, traditional flames are passing fast as a fad ...... so what's next????
I foresee we will see much more use of metal-flake and airbrushing at the 2005 LA Boat Show!!! But that's just me....what do you see as the next Pink & Teal???
RTJas I agree (unfortunitly) on the matal-flake.
We did a metal-flake flame job that I am so happy with. I wanted some flames but I wanted it to be different. I agree with you in saying there will be more and more medal flake coming back around. (kind of a bummer)
Check this flake out , It turned out pretty cool.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/40IM000171-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/40IM000199-med.JPG
I'll tell you one thing though, that shit gets hot sitting in the sun.Woooow

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
That doesn't look very glittery, is it more sparkely in person?
(nice retro 70's metal flake?) That would get really hot in the sun.....:D

rivercrazy
06-02-2004, 01:42 PM
There will always be trends in just about everything. Some designs just end up being classics!
IMO its more important to choose a graphic design and colors YOU like versus what is going on in the present. Unless of course your design differs that much from whats happening and you plan on selling in short order to upgrade or something.

Lightning
06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
I think that you will start to see a lot less boats with a white base and color x tribal flame over it. Probably a move to boats with a lot darker or vibrant colors as the base. I noticed a lot of newer boats this weekend that had solid non-white base colors.

rivercrazy
06-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Sounds like they would be fun to get the water spots out of ! :D

Beautiful Noise
06-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Hey GREEN is a Timeless Color it always looks BAD :rolleyes: :D :)

Tom Brown
06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
I think the next fad will be CNC airbrushing. In fact, I'm surprised no one seems to be doing it now. You should be able to take in a graphic and have it rendered on the boat in perfect detail and color.
-- Tom

cdog
06-02-2004, 02:09 PM
What do ya think of this? I tried to do a east coast offshore boat look.

riverbound
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I have already started seeing gels using lots of metal flake. I think the overall design will start leaning towards highlighting the lines of the boat. Airbrushing and mre detailed work is also becoming more and more poular. I would like to see more use of wood graphics on boats nowadays. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_313-med.jpg

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 02:13 PM
traditional flames are passing fast as a fad ...
I think Flames are here to stay, They were here before I was born 35 years ago and will be here long after Im gone.....

phebus
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by cdog
What do ya think of this? I tried to do a east coast offshore boat look.
I think you failed terribly. That is a terrific looking west coast boat!! Beautifull :D

cdog
06-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I think you failed terribly. That is a terrific looking west coast boat!! Beautifull :D
Thanks, That's been the hardest decision yet.

slink
06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm dealing with this very issue right know. My 25 Tremor is being taped tomorrow. The wife wanted flames and resisted every design I came up with unless it had some type of flame or tribal. I just couldn't make myself do it. She finally gave in and was "satisfied" with the final. I'll show you guys in a week or two.

Steamin' Rice
06-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey slink, were out at shockwave earlier today? I think I was there at the same that you were but I didn't realize it..... I was with Barry near the 34 molds...

riverbound
06-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Right now we are working on family 4 days boat and he has traditional flames but in the cf#s and the name he had flames lightly ghosted in and it looks really good.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681FAMILY_4_DAY_011-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681FAMILY_4_DAY_010-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681FAMILY_4_DAY_005-med.jpg

Hallett19
06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
I really dig a color that Lexus has, its an off white with a metalic purlple flake. I would love a deal like that with a purple ghosted tribal graphic. I like me dem alot !

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681FAMILY_4_DAY_005-med.jpg[/IMG]
That looks a lot like another 21' Lavey I've seen around. ;)

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
That looks a lot like another 21' Lavey I've seen around. ;)
Shoulda trademarked it ;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
These rough guesses and I'll admit they overlapped, but here we go...
CHECKERS,
I thought checkers make a boat go at least 5 mph faster though???
:D :D

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
That's the Color Red you're thinking of! ;)

Jbb
06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I am hoping...the next Pink and Teal will be.................Pink and Teal.....:D

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't believe you can "trademark" a gel coat on a boat, unless it has something unbelievably original and unique to yours and only your boat (or line of boats).
RD
Ahhhhh. Seems we have the combination...
In actual fact, any unique design, or design feature is absolutely trademarkable. If it is copyable, it is trademarkable. The arguments lie in prior use, which is tough to defend against. Soooooo if you are not truly unique, you will not get the trademark.
The easiest way to trademark your designs is to incorporate your logo into them. Bombproof.
You have to wonder how many people who have bought Magics, Shockwaves, Carreras, Aftershocks, Sleekcrafts, etc... with the older (now) Ultra flame on it would have bought Ultras instead if they couldn't have the same graphics on the other boats. It would be a large percentage I think. One makes it worth protecting, and just having a distinctive looking boat is worth it all to me. I hated seeing that Shockwave go out the door with that rancid rendition of the OTR paint job. All done in rainbow colors and stuff. Total ripoff done poorly.
It only seems normal to me to protect your hard work and designs. I wouldn't think of designing something new only to have some hack rip it off for a competing boat company.
Just my opinion though...

JAM
06-02-2004, 03:51 PM
I hope the trend is not going towards "metal flake". That always reminds me of those high dollar, bass boat finishes!

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
No, You are thinking about the skull on the side of the boat, that really helps make the boat go fast!!!:D

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 04:02 PM
I saw another 21 Lavey out at the river this weekend, and it was pretty close to your boat as well. I thought it was you for a second!
RD
Someone else saw that boat in Havasu. I wonder if it's the one in the photos here, or if there's yet another one. The one pictured here would only look like mine from a distance though. I have a fair amount of royal blue in the pins, that gets lost at a distance and in photos.
Mine wasn't the first Lavey to have more or less that same flame job. There was a 26'er before mine, and I think the Sabre Cat was before mine (but I didn't see it until a year after). There was also 21'XCS before both of those, but it's flames weren't done nearly so well (different painter).
I don't mind seeing others like mine. I didn't do it to be different or to be the same, I did it simply because I really liked it. I still really like the look of my boat, and I think I always will. In the end, I'd hope everyone chooses their design for the same reason. When I see another boat that looks like mine, I just say, "there's a nice looking boat!" ;) Hell, If I could efford two boats, I'd buy the Sabre Cat that looks like mine!!! :D

h2oski2fast
06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Ahhhhh. Seems we have the combination...
In actual fact, any unique design, or design feature is absolutely trademarkable. If it is copyable, it is trademarkable. The arguments lie in prior use, which is tough to defend against. Soooooo if you are not truly unique, you will not get the trademark.
The easiest way to trademark your designs is to incorporate your logo into them. Bombproof.
You have to wonder how many people who have bought Magics, Shockwaves, Carreras, Aftershocks, Sleekcrafts, etc... with the older (now) Ultra flame on it would have bought Ultras instead if they couldn't have the same graphics on the other boats. It would be a large percentage I think. One makes it worth protecting, and just having a distinctive looking boat is worth it all to me. I hated seeing that Shockwave go out the door with that rancid rendition of the OTR paint job. All done in rainbow colors and stuff. Total ripoff done poorly.
It only seems normal to me to protect your hard work and designs. I wouldn't think of designing something new only to have some hack rip it off for a competing boat company.
Just my opinion though...
In order to copyright (not trademark, a trademark is considered a logo) one would have to designate pms colors to the design (which would be nearly impossable to do with gel, as they don't have true PMS base colors to mix with. Next issue would come with any change that is 30% from the original design would not be considered a copyright infringement. I have done a few designs for manufacturers and have looked into copyrighting designs, which turned out tobe more of a hassle then it would be worth. I'm not saying it can't be done, just a pain in the A$$.
As for the newest trend in gel, who knows. I do know there is a trend that is leaning towards painting boats rather than gelcoating the graphics into the mold. The newest trend started about 6 to 7 years ago with people like The Art of Design ( taod.org ), Mitcher T, GeoGraphics..... and so on. The graphics for the bigger boats tends to bold over the top styles (which I personally think is awsome). I think we'll see most of the smaller (in size) boat manufacturers staying with gel, do to the high cost of having a boat custom painted. I don't want to see the boating industry starting to go towards the skull, ghostly images and Iron crosses like Harleys have.
Just my 02

rivercrazy
06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I didn't do it to be different or to be the same, I did it simply because I really liked it. In the end I hope everyone chooses their design for the same reason. :D
EXACTLY! Couldn't agree more.

DeltaSigBoater
06-02-2004, 04:10 PM
The 1970's are comming back and in a BIG WAY.

goneboatin
06-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Metal flake has never died out - just look at the bass boats.

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Metal flake has never died out - just look at the bass boats.
I assume you're not joking (since there were no smilies in your post), so forgive me if you were, but Bass boats aren't custom boats (individually chosen designs), and that's what we're refering to here. ;)

LaveyJet
06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
We were out at Havasu last weekend, may look similar at a distance.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/421mikeb2-med.JPG

Jordy
06-02-2004, 04:38 PM
No, the flames were exactly like RTJ's but the color was alot more orange than red. :D

BADAXE
06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
I think the new trend is already here, i call it the "SWOPE" look, it seemed to start back east and now it's seen on alot of west coast built boats. I for one like it and think it will be timeless.
I found a few nice examples:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/318dcbboat106-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135DCBF291-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20DCBF34001-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550100_0560_eliminator2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/449ELIMINATOR-med.jpg

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by h2oski2fast
In order to copyright (not trademark, a trademark is considered a logo) one would have to designate pms colors to the design (which would be nearly impossable to do with gel, as they don't have true PMS base colors to mix with. Next issue would come with any change that is 30% from the original design would not be considered a copyright infringement. I have done a few designs for manufacturers and have looked into copyrighting designs, which turned out tobe more of a hassle then it would be worth. I'm not saying it can't be done, just a pain in the A$$.
PMS colors are inconsequential when it comes to trademarking. It is the design that matters.
The 30% rule is all but out the window as well. The new standard, and that by which most cases are judged by, is if the copied design could cause confusion. If I have a gel design that I have
A) Trademarked
B) Become known for
Then it would follow that another boat company using a similar design would be able to draw confusion in a potential new client. The bottom line is, if someone gels a boat enough like a trademarked design to draw confusion, the company will likely have to give up a percentage of profits that they gained illegally as well as cease and desist using the graphic design.
The fact is, they may not have gotten the sale if they had not used the graphic, and it may have gone back to the originator. The point is irrelevant though. If it wasn't a big deal, then don't copy. If you have to copy to make the sale, expect to pay a hefty royalty for the liscensing fee.
"I'm good either way. Just let me run it past Marissa... " :D

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
No, the flames were exactly like RTJ's but the color was alot more orange than red. :D
Well it wasn't me, if that's what you're suggesting. Mine start orange, and then fade to red.
http://www.op6c.com/mohave_03_04/images/DSC01178.jpg

Jordy
06-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Well it wasn't me, if that's what you're suggesting. Mine start orange, and then fade to red.
I know it wasn't you as I was with RD and we both had to do a double take. They started off alot more orange and stayed pretty orange all the way back. ;)

DogHouse
06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
The fact is, they may not have gotten the sale if they had not used the graphic, and it may have gone back to the originator.
Perhaps I'm strange (we knew that!), but I would never let the graphics play a significant part in the decision of which hull to buy. With a little thought, one could always come up with something that looks nice and is enough different to avoid copyright problems. To me, the design and construction of the hull are much more important.
-brian

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I thought checkers make a boat go at least 5 mph faster though
Rd got it, But big over the top gives you 10, still kicking myself for not getting those.
I hated seeing that Shockwave go out the door with that rancid rendition of the OTR paint job
God Froggy, I hope your not taking about me.......

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I hated seeing that Shockwave go out the door with that rancid rendition of the OTR paint job
God Froggy, I hope your not taking about me.......
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Circus Boat!

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 05:29 PM
What boat is that , Any pics

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I am editing this post. It sounds a little harsh.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

slink
06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Hey slink, were out at shockwave earlier today? I think I was there at the same that you were but I didn't realize it..... I was with Barry near the 34 molds... Ya that was me. BTW the graphics you had today were bad a s s

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
That is too funny

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
That is too funny
You clearly haven't seen it. It was a little sad...

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 05:40 PM
No I have never seen that boat,
Mine is an ultra copy
changed by shockwave,
But I don't deny it.....

DEEZ NUTTS
06-02-2004, 05:43 PM
I am thinking of updating my '90 easter egg teal and yellow Formula with vinyl. Buffed back to white and stick em on. Figure I could change colors and design every year if I wanted to drop the coin.

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 05:47 PM
You clearly haven't seen it. It was a little sad...
IMO, It was among the worst color selection I've ever seen, right up there with some of the stuff I've seen out of Advantage & Kachina several years ago.
I'd like to see the photos again too. I tried to search for the thread but that was probably 2001 or early 2002.
If any of you Shockwaver's see it at the Regatta, snap us a photo for old time sake please!

Froggystyle
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
It was among the worst gels I've ever seen, right up there with some of the stuff I've seen out of Advantage & Kachina several years ago. The interior was puke-worthy at best.
I'd like to see the photos again too. I tried to search for the thread but that was probably 2001 or early 2002.
If any of you Shockwaver's see it at the Regatta, snap us a photo for old time sake please!
Hey now Jas... that is someone's pride and joy. It should have been up to the manufacturer to tell him that the gel would not turn out right in those colors.
In Shockwaves defense, Martin from Ultra did a masterful job of doing a very, very difficult gel design with 18 crossovers. Tough to duplicate, and as was evidenced, even tougher to duplicate properly.
I keep getting phone calls from people who have seen weak splashes of that design.
Here is the thread. BTW...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1689&highlight=new+shockwave
pics are gone, but the words give you a pretty nice picture...

Jrocket
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I know it wasn't you as I was with RD and we both had to do a double take. They started off alot more orange and stayed pretty orange all the way back. ;)
I saw the same boat.At first I thought the same thing until I saw the driver.Those little open bows all look the same to me!:D

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Now Im sad i missed it,
And to think everyone said nice boat,
At least RTJ said he was biting off Foggy

Hallett19
06-02-2004, 06:24 PM
When people are talking about metal flake, I dont think they mean metal flake like in bass boats ...... persay.... I am talking about more of a fine flake, not the full on disco crazy huge pieces of metal flake that we used to use on our grade school projects.

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19
When people are talking about metal flake, I dont think they mean metal flake like in bass boats ...... persay.... I am talking about more of a fine flake, not the full on disco crazy huge pieces of metal flake that we used to use on our grade school projects.
A kinder gentler GLITTER.........;)

Jbb
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Cant speak to the gelcoat crowd...But for boats that are painted....swirls are in....as are non symetrical designs and ovals...lots of ovals..In the boat pictured the ovals are flip flop pearl that changes color depending onthe angle viewed.....This boat now lives in Havasu....keep an eye out for it...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181nortechcats_399web.jpg

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
A kinder gentler GLITTER.........;)
So what will all the democrats drive?
(sorry Summerlove)
;)

Family4Day
06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
The flame job that lavey did was great! We wanted a more burgundy than red. The bow is a little more red than we wanted, but it was needed to achieve the fade. The airbrushing of the CF#s and the name on the back transom was done by Dave who does lavey model numbers and cf#s. He is located in riverside. As for flames, the traditional always looks good.

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
So what will all the democrats drive?
(sorry Summerlove)
;)
More politically correct Rain Forest Tones......

SoCalOffshore
06-02-2004, 07:40 PM
I am editing this post. It sounds a little harsh.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?
You must be right. I saw this new paint job on a 42' Sonic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/100pdrm1385.jpg :D

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 07:45 PM
More politically correct Rain Forest Tones......
NOT green boats?
I KNOW one green boat I really like, but I can't drive it.......:(

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 07:56 PM
NOT green boats?
Fern Green, Bark Brown, aqua rain, canary yellow, antelope tan you know....... earth tones...,

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Family4Day
As for flames, the traditional always looks good.
I agree!!!
Your boat looks great! Are you going to the regatta?

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Fern Green, Bark Brown, aqua rain, canary yellow, antelope tan you know....... earth tones...,
Some combination of these colors with a "Grizzly Bear" motif or something....... you know.......

ULTRA28
06-02-2004, 09:03 PM
I know what the next big fad is going to be, and I'm not talking about airbrushing or ghosts, but you guys will have to wait to see it because I aint telling. I, like Froggy, am tired of getting designs and ideas knocked off. This next thing will be next to impossible to do and I'm not going to show it until the time is right.:wink: :D :D

locogringo
06-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ULTRA28
I know what the next big fad is going to be, and I'm not talking about airbrushing or ghosts, but you guys will have to wait to see it because I aint telling. I, like Froggy, am tired of getting designs and ideas knocked off. This next thing will be next to impossible to do and I'm not going to show it until the time is right.:wink: :D :D
sounds interesting. I applaud those with the vision to come up with something original and make others say, "Why didn't I think of that."
Too bad other people try to rape their creative processes.

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 09:35 PM
am tired of getting designs and ideas knocked off.
Come on John,
When you are always coming out with the best, newest and wildest designs, everyone is going to want them. You should be humbled that everyone thinks that much of your work......:D

bigkatboat
06-02-2004, 10:09 PM
I look at everything but, I like very simple. Ferrari's have very few "flames" and less "stripes and flake". I'm going to build my next boat, clear, Platinum pearl, and a base color of blue, lightened 12 steps (Ford called it Diamond blue). No stripes, just a subtle "cool" color, with lot's of 'quiet' power. In the past I could "run wide open, with my hair on fire", all week. Today I can only do that on weekends, so 'cool and quiet' will do for the next few years. I dig the boats that "RIP THE WATER OPEN", and those that "SET THE WORLD ON FIRE", but I personally can't live with that 'full time'. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT SHOW!!!

Some Kind Of Monster
06-02-2004, 10:13 PM
I can't really see flames going out of style.. Maybe just revamped.. Perhaps more ghost flames under other designs?

Beautiful Noise
06-02-2004, 10:38 PM
But you can go for a Ride................How much money do you have for Gas:D And it doesnt run on Bottle Caps or Blue Chip Stamps:rolleyes: :p :D

RACRJEFF
06-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Does rick bourgets jokers wild boat have air brush in it or is it all gel coat, ive only seen the boat pass me at a 100 plus or so and in a magazine

Family4Day
06-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Rivertoys-we will definately be at the regatta. Looking forward to it. actually just scheduled shifts off for the trip.

Mandelon
06-03-2004, 07:11 AM
I'm thinking profanity is the next big thing.
I'd like to thank Riverholic for designing these timeless graphics for my boat. Not too wild, but not too mild. Should last and last. No teal, no pink. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42March_17__2004_090-med.jpg

Froggystyle
06-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bigkatboat
I look at everything but, I like very simple. Ferrari's have very few "flames" and less "stripes and flake". I'm going to build my next boat, clear, Platinum pearl, and a base color of blue, lightened 12 steps (Ford called it Diamond blue). No stripes, just a subtle "cool" color, with lot's of 'quiet' power. In the past I could "run wide open, with my hair on fire", all week. Today I can only do that on weekends, so 'cool and quiet' will do for the next few years. I dig the boats that "RIP THE WATER OPEN", and those that "SET THE WORLD ON FIRE", but I personally can't live with that 'full time'. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT SHOW!!!
Funny you mention this. It is one of the reasons the actual physical design on the Revolution is so striking. We wanted the styling of the boat to be able to stand on it's own, in it's own context. Any graphics we do will be only in compliment of the hull itself, and not detract from the physical features we have worked so hard to develop.

shadow
06-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Wes the more I look the more i like.:wink:
You are doing a great job.keep it up.

Froggystyle
06-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by shadow
Wes the more I look the more i like.:wink:
You are doing a great job.keep it up.
Thanks Darryl.
This coming from a guy who has probably the most copied paint job of the last couple years.
How many Shadows, Commanders, Nordics etc... has your gel design turned up on now?

Debbolas
06-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Beautiful Noise
But you can go for a Ride................How much money do you have for Gas:D And it doesnt run on Bottle Caps or Blue Chip Stamps:rolleyes: :p :D
Not a problem, we will hit Scream up for some gas $
:D

WILDMAN
06-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Flames???

Debbolas
06-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Can't see it, make it bigger!
;)http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=724099

WILDMAN
06-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Another I painted. It's a 2004 and for sale!

Debbolas
06-03-2004, 09:16 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=724116
Are the flames, metal-flake?

WILDMAN
06-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Marblized candy pearls. I'm ordering a 21ft cat in solid silver flake, and gonna do candy flames over it.

Froggystyle
06-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Here is the next big trend... checkers!
This is for Havasu Hangin actually. We were figuring out how to do some lighting on the 3D model of the boat, and I thought this would be
really funny to send to Jeff as our new gelcoat. I guess checkers are easy to use to show curves etc...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/wes_humor.jpg

AZmike
06-04-2004, 09:17 AM
why not paint everything like a bass boat. A nice metal flake 2 tone neon green and brown

rivercrazy
06-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Those checkers should be good for a least another 5mph! Good thing your hull lines don't look like an Eliminator! :D

Jordy
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Those checkers should be good for a least another 5mph! :D
I think checkers are only good for 3 mph. The thru transom exhaust gets ya the 5 mph. :D :D :D

AleAlchemist
06-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike
RTJas I agree (unfortunitly) on the matal-flake.
We did a metal-flake flame job that I am so happy with.
Im glad you like it. It Joel lost a gun for that flake, and I couldn't get that shit out of my hair for three days.
But when that bad boy popped out of the mold it was all worth the while! That is a fine example of flake work, about as good as it gets. Ofcourse my pop used to spray that flake in the 70s, so he knew what he was doing!
Trends deffenitly heading tword mettle flake! I said it a week ago, now Im sure.
it'll be a lot easier with the new dry flake process we got going at genesis. less wasted flake, less time to cover, less shit to pick out of my hair:yuk:
If they all come out like that force (knock on wood) its ok by me!:D
Keep a look out we got a couple with Flake out on the water!

eliminatedsprinter
06-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by WILDMAN
Marblized candy pearls. I'm ordering a 21ft cat in solid silver flake, and gonna do candy flames over it.
I agree the candy pearls or fine metal flakes will be in for at least a while. They look great. Flames will always be assosiated with hot rods on boats or cars.:cool:
I doubt the real large flake/bass boat style gels will be on many customs, but they might, I have seen some that look pretty good in the right designs.:cool:
Personally, I'm all for loud outlandish gel coats. I figure my boat is for fun and it should look like fun.:D :D :cool:

Dr. Eagle
06-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I like the checkers Froggy. It looks just like Dream Car Garage.....

Froggystyle
06-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I like the checkers Froggy. It looks just like Dream Car Garage.....
You mean the floor? :D
Obviously, just a joke. Waiting for Havasu Hangin to chime in here though...