PDA

View Full Version : Open or Closed Bow

Nubbs
06-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't know if this can be answered because it depends on the person buying the boat. But, what generally sales for more? Open bow? or Closed Bow? I'm talking about used boats.
Nubbs

MsDrmr
06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
it is based on a couple things, personality, and family.
We have a 21ft closed bow boat and three full time kids,(somethimes four w/the eldest) there is not a lot of sitting room and is very crowded. Me personally, I reccomend open bow for intertainment, and company perposes.

HCS
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Closed bow is lighter and faster. Open bow's are heavier.
For that reason I like closed bow. But in most cases open
bow probably sales for more because there more popular.

mud duck
06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I would pay more for an open bow. I like the extra usable room for additional people and junk (coolers, beach chairs, etc.). However, after that is said, I do have to say that I like the "looks" of a closed bow more. It can be crowded, and you may have some porpoising issues, but you look good. An open bow kind of says "family" boat, which is okay but not as sleek or smooth as a closed bow.
The trick is to get a 35'+ closed bow and stow the ugly people and picnic junk down below so you have room but you still look good. (Wow, am I superficial or what.) :D

spectratoad
06-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Open bow if you like everyone looking at you if you are all going for a ride and there are not enough seats with everyone else.
That is why I have a closed bow, Me, wifey, 2 kids and my dog. Sorry no more seats. Guess I am kinda stingy that way.;)

rivercrazy
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Resale for a open bow is easier. The difference in $$$ is not that significant. Usually a buyer will only buy their preference anyway.
Closed bow for me! Faster, more solid, more storage, adult benefits, looks, not being a TAXI, etc. Most closed bow boats are also not cab forward designs which also adds a lot to the looks IMHO:D

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Open bow, so no one can dance on my deck.....LOL:D
We stick the kids up there, and have plenty of room for everyone!
:cool:

Powerquestboy
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm a closed bow guy because I like to sleep on the boat at lake powell and I really dont want to take 10 people with me 4 is plenty. I also dont like people sitting in front of me when I drive. Closed bow is better for running in the ocean. Too hard to air it out with a bunch of your fat friends in the bow.
Open Bow = more room, better for day trips but if I was interested in taking a bunch of people out on day trips I would buy a party cat.
As for resale?????depends on the person and what they are doing with it. Campers may like closed, familys that may take only a few day trips a year to the local lake will most likely choose open bow. It would be interesting to know the stats on what sells more.

Debbolas
06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
We were concerned about being able to see over our kids heads, because in our old little boat, it was hard. In our new big boat, it is not a problem, because the cockpit is higher than the bow.
Debbolas <-------------Can't spell to save her life:rolleyes:

BOBALOO
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
All I can say is that when I was looking to buy a used boat the closed bows were way more plentiful and the open bows were more expensive and harder to find. I could have had my pick of a couple dozen nice closed bows compared to the few opens that had what I was looking for. ( motor, open bow, size, look, condition and price)
I even had one guy all upset at me because I wanted an open bow and his was a closed bow, maybe he was having a hard time selling it.

91nordic29
06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Open bow, so no one can dance on my deck.....LOL:D
teeeheeeheeeheee
:cool:
closed bow for us, like the looks and the privacy:o

77charger
06-02-2004, 04:29 PM
If i was buying new i'd get a closed bow.My current boat is an open bow it is fine(bought used and got a good deal) but i just like the look of a closed bow plus you get alot less turbulance in a closed set up.

Topock Junkie
06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
I've had three open bow boats. The only people that sit up front are your drunk friends, who spill beer and what ever else they have handy. I now have a closed bow way better, four is way better than ten. plus your boat rides better and stay alot cleaner...

clownpuncher
06-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I like closed. Never had an open bow. Lots of friends have em though. Good for hauling around those that don't have boats and everyone elses shit that have closed bows or PWC. When towing, or even under way, you're gear is more protected from wind, theft etc. For these reasons I have a closed bow. I haul my crew (7 comfortably) and my stuff.
Dancin on the deck is just icing on the cake :D

Havasu Hangin'
06-02-2004, 05:26 PM
I have a closed bow.

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 05:32 PM
closed bow for us, like the looks and the privacy
Whats going on under there cindy,
For a small boat open bow, For anything over 26' Closed,
Again Personal choice....

RiverToysJas
06-02-2004, 05:38 PM
I have an open, but it was totally my wife's thing. I like closed bows much better, looks and CG are better.
Opens are very easy at the dock and launch, there's more seating when you need it. It's been said though, those seats are rarely used when running. I like to kick back up there though. If I had a boat any bigger than the one I have, it would be a closed bow. I dislike cuddy-open the most, I'd rather they just move the dash forward and put jump seats behind the driver and passenger, esp on boat bigger boats. I saw a 34' Magic with a open bow, looked like a hot tub way up there on the bow. That's just my opinion though.
As for the question, an open bow is easier to sell, in the 21' size range.
RTJas :D

phebus
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Unless you have a high performance boat, or want to overnight, I feel a closed bow is a waste of space. We love the bow access of a deckboat when you beach.

clownpuncher
06-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Aren't all deck boats kinda open bowed? :D

cigarette1
06-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
... I saw a 34' Magic with a open bow, looked like a hot tub way up there on the bow. That's just my opinion though.
RTJas :D
I saw that too ... what the hell are they thinking :confused:
I boat mostly in the ocean ... closed bow for me. I'm thinking of getting a small center console or pontoon for the lake .... an 18' Zodiac would be perfect ... built in fenders for rafting and fending off drunk rookie bozo's
G

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Having had both, I think the closed bow offers you the most places to boat. I wouldn't take an open bow boat on the ocean. I have owned three open bows, and two closed. Right now the open bow Ultra is nice for small water, I would really like about a 24-25 foot boat with a closed bow, that way the ocean or SF bay are not out of the question.

dicudmore
06-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Resale for a open bow is easier. The difference in $$$ is not that significant. Usually a buyer will only buy their preference anyway.
Closed bow for me! Faster, more solid, more storage, adult benefits, looks, not being a TAXI, etc. Most closed bow boats are also not cab forward designs which also adds a lot to the looks IMHO:D
I'm with RC on this one....
not a fan of the cab forward dealio....
some of these boats look like they are being driven from the BOW

mtndewdrops
06-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Last year I sold my closed bow and found that most buyers prefer open bow boats.
IMO, Closed bow is nice for small children and adults under 6' for short overnight trips, but they tend to be junk collectors. Also, closed bow sucks in the hot weather, since being in there is like going into the attic of your house.
I switched to an open bow boat and it is 10 times easier to launch and retrieve. It is also easier to manuver and to judge distances. I like the fact that I can jump off the bow without breaking my neck.
I say, The more room the better...

BarryMac
06-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Open bow for us, my 11 year old really likes the ride up front.

Dr. Eagle
06-02-2004, 08:21 PM
I like the open bow, but it is so limiting... I don't know it is what I have.... grass is always greener I guess..........:(

Jordy
06-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Powerquestboy
if I was interested in taking a bunch of people out on day trips I would buy a party cat.
I like my non-skid covered closed bow just fine and you can walk on it and not have to worry about it. Room for 4-5 and I really only need room for 2. :D

ratso
06-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Every single boat that I have owned personally has been a closed bow...just not interested in taking people along that are too cheap to buy a boat for themselves (sorry MMD):D
That's room for me, my girl, and another couple. A friend of mine has a $400,000 home, a $50,000 truck, yet he mooches off everybody...whether it's eats or drinks, he never shows up with even a 6-pack but drinks everybody elses. He's too cheap to buy a boat but it never fails, he will call me mid-afternoon to see if I'll come to the dock and pick him up. Last year I did...but this past weekend I told him to F##K off and buy his own boat and quit calling me after he is sure I already gassed up and stocked up all the booze and eats. I can't stand a F##KING mooch freeloading bum...:yuk:

CEO
06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
I love having people on my boat, cheap or not. This is made for fun and usually the more the merrier
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1264boat_finished_19_3-04.bmp

RiverPirate
06-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Closed bow all the way. Plenty of room for the family and a few guests. Had an open first and this is my second closed bow. It was fun early on having everyone on the boat. It gets old having to sponsor your friends who have no idea what kind of money and labor you put out for their entertainment. Sorry guys, step up and buy your own boat. It's much nicer hanging with people who have their own boat and know what it takes to own and care for a boat. ;)

ratso
06-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by CEO
I love having people on my boat, cheap or not. This is made for fun and usually the more the merrier
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1264boat_finished_19_3-04.bmp
The more the merrier is right...we usually hang around a lot of people on the lake...I just can't stand people that can afford their own boat, yet I'm stuck doing the cleaning and maintenance, buying everything for the day, and they never offer squat...Did I say freeloader or mooch???

Tom Brown
06-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Hey Ratso, you not gettin' laid, or something? :confused:

ratso
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Hey Ratso, you not gettin' laid, or something? :confused:
:D Actually not at the moment Tom...She had to go into the hospital today after being in the emergency room Monday night. Her mom came in to spend the night with her. I told her I would skip OP6 but she told me to go because I have been looking forward to it...They will keep me posted and if things get worse they will call and I'll be on the first plane out...

Kilrtoy
06-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Everyone keeps talking about guest and friends,
If they were your friends they WOULD BUY THEIR OWN BOAT.
I worry about the wife and kids only

ratso
06-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Everyone keeps talking about guest and friends,
If they were your friends they WOULD BUY THEIR OWN BOAT.
I worry about the wife and kids only
...and that is the way it should be.;)

JustMVG
06-03-2004, 01:37 AM
I had a four seat Spectra 18 , after i got married we had to get a bigger boat and we decided that an open bow was the only way for us, i am extremely happy with our Ultra, 21' Dom jet and diverter, sure its crap on gas but once the kids get older and i feel safer w them we'll go for the out drive, but we have a great time with the open bow, don't know if this helps ya , but theres my opinion anyway, good luck i don't think you'll be disappointed if you get the open bow.
Mike VG

91nordic29
06-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
closed bow for us, like the looks and the privacy
Whats going on under there cindy,
we're takin' a nap, whadddaya think? :p :D :eek!: