PDA

View Full Version : Anybody boat between Blythe and Yuma?

ryantparks
06-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Just wondering what its like because I have never been there and dont know anyone that has. Any places to stay and what roads go there. Thanks, Ryan
Also, what is it called around there?

Flying Tiger
06-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ryantparks
Just wondering what its like because I have never been there and dont know anyone that has. Any places to stay and what roads go there. Thanks, Ryan
Also, what is it called around there?
I used to,, sandbars deluxe. Killer sandbars. Jets only.
It was where I first laid eyes on the river,, and I can remember it perfectly,,, It was like I died and woke up in heaven.

Lightning
06-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I boat in the Yuma (martinez lake) areas all the time, what do you want to know.

ryantparks
06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Ive been there also even about 10 miles up river from there but in the middle of say Martinez lake and Blythe I never hear about and was curious about the conditions and is it crowded etc?

ryantparks
06-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Lightning, were you at the Ultra Regatta? If so post a pic of your boat for me to see. Thanks

Lightning
06-02-2004, 08:08 PM
It's usually not too crowded at all. It's soft sand bottom, shallow in parts and deep in others. Lot's of jet boats and outboards - many people say that a jet is mandatory, however if you know the river that's not the case. We usually go up to Picacho, which is about 12miles north of Martinez Lake. I have never launched on the Blythe side or been to Blythe.
I was not at the Ultra regatta . . my boat is a 21xs, bright red and yellow. Look for the thread that says Martinez Lake roll call and you will see a photo of my boat.

BarryMac
06-02-2004, 08:25 PM
We do the same as Lightning, usually launch at Squaw Lake and head to Pichacho, unload on a Sandbar and cruise up a little further, before I bought my Carrera I had a SeaRay with an I/O, I made it as far river with that as I do my Jet, I just had to be alot more careful. Like that section of the river because it seems to be more family freindly.

shueman
06-03-2004, 05:06 AM
One of my best bud's swears by Walter's Camp. It's the last camp / access before the Wildlife Refuge and maybe 16 miles above Picacho.
I bought my first jet back in the '80's because I loved the whole area from Blythe south. Most trips were to McIntye and run south to Palo Verde. Get a few miles south of the camp and you had the whole river to yourself.
Get a Fish-n-Map for the Lower Colorado; it's great..!!

BarryMac
06-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by shueman
One of my best bud's swears by Walter's Camp. It's the last camp / access before the Wildlife Refuge and maybe 16 miles above Picacho.
Get a Fish-n-Map for the Lower Colorado; it's great..!!
Shueman,
Do they have gas at Walters Camp? My Carrera has two 20 gallon tanks, I think I can make it there and back to Squaw Lake on one fill but just in case.
Were can I get the said Fish-n-Map?
gjb thanks you and of course the rest of HB Forum members thanks you...:D

cheezpanel
06-03-2004, 06:12 AM
I went from Hidden Shores to Walter's a few years ago w/ an outboard...they did have a gas dock. It was a fun trip, but after about 7 miles north of Picacho I'm not familiar with the river and where all the sandbars are, so that was a bit nerve wracking. Not very many boats up there, so that was nice. As long as you know the river, a jetboat is not necessary.

Screaming Pete
06-03-2004, 08:36 AM
I went to walters in a 22 stealth full of full and a brovo1 drive a couple yrs ago. and lived to tell about it. the shalowest spots were closest to walters:cool:

shueman
06-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Yep, shallow it is. Walter's Camp is about a mile up a small side channel from the main river. It's a popular canoe area. No camping on the river until you get south just above Picacho.

shueman
06-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by gottajetboat
Shueman,
Do they have gas at Walters Camp? My Carrera has two 20 gallon tanks, I think I can make it there and back to Squaw Lake on one fill but just in case.
Were can I get the said Fish-n-Map?
gjb thanks you and of course the rest of HB Forum members thanks you...:D
Most Marine shops have the maps. Great reading.

TOBTEK
06-03-2004, 12:26 PM
We did a hiddenshores to Blyth & back run last season with a outboard. AWESOME trip! and without any problems, you just have to keep your eyes open. Just below Walters is some of the prettiest area out there on the river. Saw wild donkies on the river banks....was a great trip. Everyone should do the trip atleast once. Has anyone else checked out the few new homes at the very tip of walters....They are Totallllly pimp! Its VERY shallow below Walters, But a MUST do!

Screaming Pete
06-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Wild Donkies, I don't see no wild Donkies