PDA

View Full Version : Headers and enclosed engines

JayBee
06-03-2004, 06:28 AM
I have noticed that the water injected through transom headers have warnings about not using them in enclosed engine bays. Is this purely from heat build-up? I have a cavernous engine bay, but it is enclosed. The bay is big enough for me to get in on either side of the engine and sit on the floor next to it to work on it.... Well, it's the full width of the hull, over 3' deep and over 4' loong. Plus - there is a lot of venting to the area. There is a bow air scoop that ducts air through the false floor and into the engine bay. Would injected headers be a problem here?
Thanks,
Jason

kachina_labala
06-03-2004, 06:33 AM
1st - insurence wont cover injected headers in an enclosed compartment. If there is any heat damage or a fire (even if not caused by the headers) they have an easy way out.
2nd - If an injector capilary becomes clogged you get tons of heat at W.O.T. It melts stuff. Why do I know this. Sad but true experience.
Matthew

BrendellaJet
06-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Dont mess with it. Spend the coin and get the water jackets or lose the cover.

wet77
06-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Have a friend of mine that has a 21' daytona with the injected thru transum headers and last year the cover caught fire:eek:
To fix the problem he wrapped the whole underside of the cover with a fire retardant blanket used in drag racing;)
Its been workin fine for now but when the headers wear out he is going with the water jacket type;)

JayBee
06-03-2004, 08:01 AM
I didn't realize the water injected headers still got THAT hot. Wow... I screwed up last year and missed a set of CMI stainless steel jacketed one on Ebay for under $800. I was out of town and didn't get to a computer in time for a final bid!
Thanks for the info!
Jason

bakerman
06-03-2004, 11:07 AM
hey JayBee check out e-bay item #2481076777:cool:

Hallett19
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM
They run water in water injected headers mostly to keep them from getting discolored from heat and to make them more quiet. I would be worried to run them through the transom as well, spontaneous transom combustion ! I wonder if you were to wrap them in that header tape and see how low the temp can get.