PDA

View Full Version : boat not firing??

JET-O-VATOR
06-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Ok so we are working on my buddys 16 foot challenger with a 455 olds. The boat ran great, then a few days ago, we were out on the water and his battery cable popped off and she died and wouldnt fire back up after we atached the cable....so now you flick the key and it will just pop and not fully fire. Sounds like timing to me because theres fuel, spark and compression. but I dunno we played with the timming with no results. The boat is a mild 455 with an edlebrock intake, carb, and cam, with an hei distributer.

Keithb87
06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Check the ignition module on the distributer. Those are notorious for going out in cars. It may have shorted out when the cable popped off.;)

BrendellaJet
06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Are you certain your getting spark? How did you test? Id check the ignition module too. Be careful just moving that distributor around...If it was running fine before, its doubtful that the distributor moved, unless the clamp was already loose...

JET-O-VATOR
06-03-2004, 12:32 PM
HOW DO I TEST THE MODULE? OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT IS JUST REPLACED? OR COULD IT BE WATER IN THE FUEL????

Jay321
06-03-2004, 01:23 PM
MSD makes a ignition tester that will check HEI as well as MSD ignition, coil, rev. limiters etc. I have one and it works well.

Keithb87
06-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Most Autozones or Checkers, or whatever they are in you neck of the woods, have a machine that they can plug them into for free. It takes only a couple of minutes once you get help. :D

King Kuracz
06-03-2004, 02:31 PM
When the battery cable came off, it could have allowed the alternator's output to spool up very quickly, high enough to blow the module, your radio and any other electronic components that happened to be powered up at the time.
In a Ford it only takes 2-3 seconds for the module to blow. I've read that a Ford alternators output will go up into the 90-100 volt range in seconds once the battery is out of the circuit. Your module and other electronics designed for 12 volts don't stand a chance.
This most often occurs when someone tries to check the alternator output by disconnecting the battery cable to see if the engine quits running. When it dies they assume the alternator is bad only to find once they replace it the engine cranks but wont start because the module has popped.
I haven't seen this nearly as often with GM alternators but it's still a definate possibility.

JET-O-VATOR
06-03-2004, 02:37 PM
But she fires i think it pops and some times back fires threw the carb

Keithb87
06-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Could be timming, Power valves in the carb, ...... :confused:
I dunno :confused:

JET-O-VATOR
06-03-2004, 02:44 PM
WERE PULLING THE CARB TONIGHT AND PUTTING A HOLLEY ON IT JUST TO TRY IT

CrdStang
06-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I've found that 90% of the time there are no coincidences. I'm thinking the module or something else in the ignition system got screwed up.
The odds of the carb crapping out so badly that it won't even fire the engine at the exact moment the batt. terminal popped off? Slim at best. I wouldn't mess with the carb/fuel system as you're more likely to create further issues which will be totally confusing while you're trying to diagnose the first one. Done that many times myself..

spectras only
06-03-2004, 03:06 PM
many older boats came with a filter incorporated in the bottom of the mech fuel pump. The cap has a small capacity and when it gets full of water [ unless you've already have a water separator] it will cause a lot of popping ,hard starting. Of course you might have a carb/ign issue ,it's just a suggestion;) .

King Kuracz
06-03-2004, 04:48 PM
You never did tell us how you were sure you were getting spark.
If you have spark then I would check for jumped timing, some of those Olds engines had a plastic toothed upper timing gear
Here's the easiest way to check for spark without getting knocked on your ass:

cave
06-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I replaced alot of crap when I had this problem. It was water in my fuel. I drained the tanks a bit then bought a water separater. Its not full proof but being so low I always seam to get alittle bit of H2O in the gas.

Rexone
06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
back to basics here...
battery cable popped off and wouldn't fire after running fine prior.
something electrical happened here.
timing does not move by itself, carburetors do not change when battery cables pop off and fuel filters do not plug up, etc, etc, etc.
think electrical as several have mentioned above. don't hunt for something that isn't there.
the ignition module advice above is a good place to start.

JET-O-VATOR
06-04-2004, 12:19 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK WE ARE GOING TO JUMP FULL FORCE INTO IT TODAY AND SEE IF WE CAN FIQURE IT OUT

DOHARA
06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
jet ovator, I know everyone was talking ignition modules but you never confirmed it was elctronic ignition. Does the distributor have points or a module. If it has conventional points I would replace the condensor. My buddies boat did the same thing. Had a slight spark but not enough to fire.
Dano

BrendellaJet
06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DOHARA
jet ovator, I know everyone was talking ignition modules but you never confirmed it was elctronic ignition. Does the distributor have points or a module. If it has conventional points I would replace the condensor. My buddies boat did the same thing. Had a slight spark but not enough to fire.
Dano
Yes he did!
"The boat is a mild 455 with an edlebrock intake, carb, and cam, with an hei distributer."