PDA

View Full Version : Victory for the good guys

clownpuncher
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
As many of you know, I own a restaurant which I work most days that I'm not at the fire station. In the first 2 1/2 years we've been open, we've had success way beyond any expectations, especially for a restaurant. We're open from 11:30 Am until 2 AM, everyday but Christmas.
Our place is located on the "Rodeo Drive" of Palm Desert. It's a busy street in the retail district. Some condos are near, about 500 feet away. Residents of these condos are mostly retirees folks who moved to this district for the convenience/proximity of the shopping, restaurants etc.
The majority of our clientele consists of tourists and locals during the day, and locals at night. Our locals include, off duty fire and police personnel, restaurant owners, media folk, bartenders and servers from other restaurants etc. A pretty professional crowd.
During the past few months, we've had some unhappy neighbors complaing to the city about "that fireman's restaurant". The majority of the complaints were.......
1 - The residents hear too many cars driving by ( no kidding, you live on Main Street)
2 - They also hear our dishwasher dumping the trash into our dumpster at night. (OK, we'll have the morning guy do it instead)
3 - They hear people laughing ( those BASTARDS, having FUN)
4 - They didn't like the "element" hangin out in their neighborhood. Remember this part, I'll refer to it later
These along with a few other BS complaints.
There were about three residents that tried to get us to close at 11:00 PM. Rediculous. But, the City had to act since they got so many complaints, although it was only from three or four unhappy residents. We were in fact threatened with having to close our doors. If any of you have any experience with local govt politics, you know where this could go.
On Tuesday, June 1st, we had a public hearing with the city officials at City Hall.
I was the first to speak in front of the large crowd that gathered, most of whom were supporters of RFG.
I explained to the City that 45% of our total sales volume is after 10:00 PM. Making us close at ten, instead of 2 AM, will ultimatley force us to relocate to another city.
After talking to the board, it was open forum for anyone wishing to speak, for or against RFG.
Making this long story short, one of the opponents commented of the "element" factor. That's when a good friend of mine, and prosecutor for the D.A's office stood up and defended the "element". Might have had something to do with the fact that this highly respected prosecutor was the "element" according to the resident. He promptly introduced himself to the board, saying what he did for a living, and the fact that it's his job to put the "element" into jail for murder and gang banging. He doesn't socialize with the "element", but, he does hang out at RFG on a regular basis. After my buddy got up it was like the flood gates opened. People from the media, FD and PD personnel, restaurant owners, respected professional men and women of all walks of life, teachers etc, spoke on behalf of RFG and why they like it there.
Well, the three (3) residents that showed up to fight us, put there head down as the City voted 5-0 to let RFG stay open until 2 AM. In fact, they've heard about us before and look forward to coming in and having some fun with us.
This event was covered by the media too, and was aired several times throughout thte night and next day.
To the residents opposing us.......................Thanks for making this a huge issue. Huge enough to get the media invloved = Free advertising. We got lot's of coverage, and this woulda cost us tens of thousands of dollars for this primetime exposure on every network news station in the valley. Now we're even busier :D
To everyone else, especially those that may be battling the local govt, hang in there. The little guy can and does win, we're living proof.
This is not intended as SPAM, it's merely a story about a victory for the little people, RFG.
ROC

phebus
06-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Congratulations ROC. I need to get by there some day. I'd better just watch out for those freakin firemen :D

Kilrtoy
06-03-2004, 06:38 PM
The cops, prosecutors come thru, Hell yeah.....
I hate pissy neighbors...

BIGTYME
06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
What a GREAT story! That just goes to show that if you treat people right, when they have a chance they will treat you right as well. Congratulations and good job not being scared by the local government.

Jrocket
06-03-2004, 06:48 PM
SWEEEEEET!
Drinks are on Roc,lets go..:D

clownpuncher
06-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Congratulations ROC. I need to get by there some day. I'd better just watch out for those freakin firemen :D
C'mon by. We've had a bunch of OCFA in here. One of my best bro's, Rob Patterson, is almost an icon here

phebus
06-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
C'mon by. We've had a bunch of OCFA in here. One of my best bro's, Rob Patterson, is almost an icon here
I am working OT today at Rob's station. I will see him when he comes in in the morning. He is a great guy.

clownpuncher
06-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I am working OT today at Rob's station. I will see him when he comes in in the morning. He is a great guy.
Yes he is. Pretty talented in the FD arena too. Tell Metzer to KMA next time if you know him, see him. :D :p
Thanks to all y'all for the good words too.
Jrocket, funny you mention drinks on the house. AFter the hearing on Tuesday night, we invited everyone over to RFG to celebrate with dinner and drinks. About $2000.00 later, I was drunk and elated at the outcome.

Lightning
06-03-2004, 08:26 PM
That's great, I like stories like this. My parents just bought a second home in Palm Desert, next time I'm out to visit them I will stop by.

ahhell
06-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Cant wait to head out and visit your "rowdy" establishment;) we're grooming a firefighter (explorer) now to become one of our "hero's"

Kokopelli
06-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey ROC!
Congrats on that victory! You have a great place and I can't wait to get out there again soon. Looking forward to another "Surfer on Acid".
From one of the "Element"....
JD

welk2party
06-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Damn right brotha!:cool:

MudPumper
06-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Chalk one up for the good guys. Right on Brother!!!!!:D ;)

HavasuDreamin'
06-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Good deal...........now back to work. ;)

OGShocker
06-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Nice win!
One question for you?
How much room in your boat parking lot?
We want to stop on the way to the lake but I never did ask you that one..
OGS

boxscore
06-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Nice to hear Roland! Just buy their condo's and expand your dining room.

RUCAV
06-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Outstanding! I hate getting those calls. "Loud talking", "Loud person putting their trash in the garbage can" and "Loud showering".
But you do have to watch out for those damn hosedraggers. They'll ruin it for the rest of us ;)

Krumbsnatcher
06-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Do I hear a second?

malibuken
06-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Great to hear this kind of story once in awhile :), to many times we hear the bad news where the FUN places get slammed.
Yeah, boat parking! :D :D

spute
06-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Congrats!!!
By the way, what is the name of your restaurant? i am out there all the time ( my dad has a place in Ironwood and my mom is at The Springs)...i'll stop by for a visit.

j-rod
06-04-2004, 07:21 AM
congrats
Who says nice guys always finish last?
keep up the good work !

dirty old man
06-04-2004, 07:26 AM
Look forward to visiting soon. How's the food?

clownpuncher
06-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey ROC!
Congrats on that victory! You have a great place and I can't wait to get out there again soon. Looking forward to another "Surfer on Acid".
From one of the "Element"....
JD
Make that a few surfers :D
Nice win!
One question for you?
How much room in your boat parking lot?
We want to stop on the way to the lake but I never did ask you that one..
OGS
Don't worry none about that boat parking, I think you should show that thing off. Park it on the main street, right outside my place!!!!!
Outstanding! I hate getting those calls. "Loud talking", "Loud person putting their trash in the garbage can" and "Loud showering". But you do have to watch out for those damn hosedraggers. They'll ruin it for the rest of us
Hey RUCAV. DO you know what the difference between cops and firemen is?......................
Firemen never wanted to be cops :D :p :D
Thanks all ya'll for your support. This truly was a huge win for us, as well as for all the other merchants on the strip. Come on over for a bite to eat and a beer or two. Especially those of you that have mom and dad living a few miles away from me, AKA Spute, BajaMike et al................

slink
06-04-2004, 12:36 PM
[
Hey RUCAV. DO you know what the difference between cops and firemen is?......................
Ya, Fireman stage 3 blocks away :D :D

clownpuncher
06-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by slink
[
Ya, Fireman stage 3 blocks away :D :D
Bullshit, it's 4 blocks where I work
FOCKER!!!! :D :D

Bow Tie Omega
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Good Story, if your "neighbors" do not like the noise, let them move to the gated confines of Leisure World . We will have to swing through and check you place out, it sounds like a pretty fun place to hang out.

Ducatista
06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Nice story with a good ending....good for you. :cool:

slink
06-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Nothin but love for ya ROC............... I had a bunch more for that, but the stageing one always seems to get the best response :D :D Looking forward to stopping in someday for a few coldies