PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Advice

Reaper1
06-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Ok, I put down a deposit on a 2002 28' Magic Cat and yes, I still have wood.:eek: I've also just had 4 Margaritas so bare with me. :cool: The boat has a Kenwood head unit and disc changer. It's got:
4 - 10" Woofs
2 - 6 x 9's
4 - 6-1/2's
3 - Amps 1300 watts total(so the owner says)
Questions: When I test drove this boat I noticed when using the trim that I got feedback through the speakers. When I got home and called the owner I asked him who installed the system and he said - ME. I told him about the feedback and he said he needed to install a noise filter. Will this solve the problem?
Also, all the speaker grills are black and I was thinking it would look better to change them to white since this boat has a white out powdercoat package. Are the grills expensive? Are they pretty easy to install? I'm not sure what kind of speakers they are as I was concentrating more on checking out the boat. I did notice that one of the grills fell off when we took the ride.
Next - this boat has two batteries. Is that enough for the system. I spend a lot of time parked and floating so I don't want to worry about draining the batteries. I know this has been gone over before but I need refreshed. I asked the owner and he said he just carrys one of those quick jump kits just in case. Maybe another battery or 2 might be necessary.
The Kenwood head unit is Sirius Satelite ready. This might be a problem since I have XM in both my cars and really love it. I'm not real familiar with the Sirius.
Any help from the experts is mucho appreciated.
Thanks
Reaper1

riverbound
06-03-2004, 07:18 PM
The feedback is probably a grounding problem. I had the same problem with my boat but it was the fuel pump. Make sure the batt. grounds are good.
You can get billet grilles that can be powder coated white. Expensive? that is all relative. We sell the rons custom detail grills.
As far as batteries go you have to remember that more batteries= more play time with out the engine running. If the amps are true 1300 watt amps dont expect too much run time. This also depends on the type age and condition of the batts and the charging system.
there is an adapter in development that will be able to make you kenwood xm ready.
Feel free to call me once you have the specifics on your set up and I would be weilling to give you more detailed info (909)481-8411. Also if the guy installed it himself I would advise you to have it checked out by a professional.
Congrats on the new boat.
Bill

locogringo
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
nice boat and sounds like a good system. Sounds like a grounding issue to me also. Two companies that I know of that have custom grills are Ron's in Havasu and Wizard Engineering in havasu. Both make sweet grills, even for your 10" subs.
I would go with at least 3 batteries (Optima's blue top) oreven an 8D battery. I have the second mentioned one and I can play all day if necessary.
Good luck.

Reaper1
06-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I'll will check it out more in detail when the boat is in my possesion. I know a buddy of mine has all white grills but they are not billet, I think plastic. Sounds like I might be needing some more batteries because the party can't stop when your on the water .;)
Riverbound - Thanks, I might have to give you a call.

beyondhelpin
06-06-2004, 03:20 PM
If the grills are fine just the wrong color West Marine or Boat World sell a white spray paint/plastic that I have used on a few things in the boat. Very durable. I painted my grills 2 or 3 years ago and not a scratch on them. Just dont spray on so heavy as to clog the grills.