PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Cyclone ready for buff and polish..

Wally_Gator
06-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Finally after kids birthdays, crappy weather and the whole lot.
I have finished spraying the gel coat on my 71 Rogers Cyclone.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6165DSC00003-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6165DSC00002-med.JPG
I now start the Color sand and polishing of the boat. Then the fun part of installing my new parts.

TRG
06-03-2004, 10:57 PM
looking good walt!!! good job!

Wally_Gator
06-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks Todd,
Working like mad to get it done and have some fun.

BrendellaJet
06-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Looks good. What size tip are you using on your gun? How much pressure to spray? Are you using PVA?

Wally_Gator
06-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Looks good. What size tip are you using on your gun? How much pressure to spray? Are you using PVA?
Tip size, Can't remember at this time.
I am running about 35-40 psi through a HVLP gun.
I am not using PVA. I am adding Styrene Wax as a surfacing
agent. The styrene acts as a thinner without having to use as much acetone to thin the gel. By using less acetone I don't have to worry as much about possable color shifts or porosity.
The wax that is mixed into the styrene ends up flating to the surface and provides an anerobic environment for the gel coat to completely cure.

BrendellaJet
06-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Todd, do you use PVA or do you also use wax?

Wally_Gator
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
From my conversations with Todd, he uses PVA.

BrendellaJet
06-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Cool, thanks.
Sounds like the wax is easier? Im gonna spray a couple spots on my hull this weekend. Ive done a lot of body work and want to make sure it is straight before the final gel coating. Since ive already got PVA, Ill go with it...

TRG
06-04-2004, 05:26 PM
wally is correct,...i use pva
although wax is easy, it can sometimes cause problems with colormatching! but both will do just fine.
todd

Jake W
06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Wally looks great cool to do you own stuff too.
I was under the impression (told) you are never soupose to use asetone to reduce the gell.Only the styrine the acetone breakes down the gell.
I just bought a SATA LM 2000 with the recomended 3.0 tip to shoot thye gullwing with it will be all black with orange metal flake and silver metal flake stripes.Though I keep changing my mind about the strips.
Gell is much cheaper to buy than a good paint I bought the gun 225 and 2 gallons black gell (Valspar)92 one gallon styrine 20 wax soulition 7 Catalyst 12 and gun presure regulater 30 for like (415 bucks) that is way cheaper than a good paint would cost.I will probely need one more gallon of black and some more styrine.
Todd have you tried to make a candie like colors with the gell by shooting a silver or gold under a trans lucent gell(Or a clear gell with toner in it)?
Gell where I live is 46 bucks a gallon for black .And I asked about a qurte of orange and it was like 26 bucks thats dam cheep comparied to a good PPG or House of Kolor.
Jake:D

Wally_Gator
06-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Jake,
As far as using acetone to thin the gel,
it is alright as long as you dont go more than 10-15%.
I think 15% is a little high as I did all of my gel work at 10% or slightly less.
I am worried about using styrene wax as your only thinning agent. That might be too much wax and may interfere with the finish. They sell just straight Styrene. Styrene is the aeromatic solvent that is in the gel resin.
Be careful with Styrene as IT IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. More so than acetone. When you go to shoot, obviously extinguish all sources of ignition. Even take the precaution of having your air compressor isolated from your spraying area.
I was fortunate that I was able to do all of my spraying on 80 - 87F days. The heat helped to thin and also affected my curing time to my advantage.
I am sure Todd may chime in with a few hints or tricks.
By the way I shot my 18' -10" Rogers with close to 3 gallons of Gel.
Walter

Jake W
06-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I think I might have confused you on what I was saying.I am only going to use the Styrine to reduce the gell.The wax is for it to cure properly(I am sure you know this ).I was giving the prices after what it was.Like Styrine 20 bucks,Wax solution 7 bucks ect.
Hear agine I was told by the suplier not to use acetone to cut it down only Styrine he was very petcular about it and said only use it to clean with.
I am not saying you are wrong just what I was told to do.
Thanks for the tips.
Jake:D

Wally_Gator
06-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Acetone can break down gel If used improperly. I have seen it cause porosity in Gel. But if there was a real problem, surfboard manufacturers wouldn't be using it as well. That is where I learned my resin and fiberglass skills.
I hope you have fun with your project. Looking forward to all of the sanding?
I can tell you that even looking at the gel before I color sand it I can't be happier.

BrendellaJet
06-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Hows the boat coming? Is it shiny yet?

Ranz1
06-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Could you guys recommend any books or other sources to learn about gel?
Also how do you spray a multi color boat (stripes, grachics, 2 tone, what ever) whith gell? I know on cars you can just spray clear over the base, but wouldnt the gell be like shooting a single stage?

Spectra19
06-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ranz1
Could you guys recommend any books or other sources to learn about gel?
Also how do you spray a multi color boat (stripes, grachics, 2 tone, what ever) whith gell? I know on cars you can just spray clear over the base, but wouldnt the gell be like shooting a single stage?
There is actually a clear gel that you spray over fades and things like that. Am in the process of doing mine right now.

Hallett19
06-06-2004, 08:17 PM
That bottom looks like it cuts through shitty water pretty well !

Wally_Gator
06-07-2004, 05:46 AM
Very little progress.
Wifey's Birthday this last weekend and I would like to wake up with all of my parts intact....
Nah. She is very cool with all of the work I have been doing on the boat. But just the same I dedicated the weekend to her for her B-day.
This coming weekend I just may have it ready fo rigging.

Wally_Gator
06-16-2004, 06:14 AM
She's starting to shine....
Alot of sanding and I think I will be ready to throw some polish on this weekend. After my little ones 1st birthday...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6165DSC00007-med.JPG
She already loves to sit on the boat. Starting her early.
I will post pics today.