PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing or Power Coating? Help!

C.Fisher
06-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Here is the deal and i hope someone can give me a little insight to what we may like better.
A friend of mine has a 2001 Checkmate 300 convincor, it has twin blown 454's with bravos, white gelcoat with blue trim/stickers/paint or what ever it is.
Anyway, the swim platform was white plastic and he didnt care for it and was going to spend the 1500 to 1800 for a tubular one until i opened my mouth and said i would make one for him out of billet aluminum and we should be able to come out for less than 1000.
The platform is done and it turned out really nice except for the plating/ or powder coating. On the platform i was able to get Checkmate's horse head symbol and engraved it into the center of the platform and also engraved "TWICE BLOWN" radially above the head and "CHECKMATE" below the head. All this in about 13 inch circle
I also took his aluminum valve covers and engraved them too, plus i made him
new air cleaner lids to match. So yea i have alot of time involved in this stuff.
We originally thought about polished aluminum but it is just TOO DAMN bright to be on the back of the boat so that is when we thought about the powder coating/ anodizing.
Which do you prefer? What is the method used on Mercs HP500's? Is that anodizing or powdercoat?
Sorry for being so long with this, we just dont want to make a mistake and not be happy with the results.
Here is some cad files of the platfom since i dont have any pics yet. There not the best but you can get the idea.
Thanks in advance
Chad
http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16404&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=16405&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Krumbsnatcher
06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
If you want that brilliant color that you see in all the boating mags that will match your dash then you have to polish that swimstep first. Then when you have coated it will have a really nice luster that matches the boats gauges and trim.
I would look into having it fusion coated since it will be exposed to the water and usage. Anodizing is a process where they dye the metal and it tends to fade and if it gets scratched you will see it.
I would check with Dana Marine they offer fusion coating.
I would love to see some pics of your products you made. Plus I am putting together a new company that is making the custom speaker grills etc..
Maybe we can do some business?

1Shockwaveguy
06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Id say go with powder coat even though you can scratch it because the other option fades and starts to look cloudy. Powder coat will never fade and as long as your careful, it will look good for the life of the boat

Nubbs
06-04-2004, 07:36 AM
In my opinion, both powder coating and annodizing will look good. Just be sure to choose a color that is UV resistant. From you cad files, that looks like a bitchin swim step.

Magic34
06-04-2004, 08:58 AM
You don't have to polish it first to get that effect, it will only cost more money. "Mirror coating" powercoat will give it the shine as polishing and then powercoating will as well.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krumbsnatcher
[B]If you want that brilliant color that you see in all the boating mags that will match your dash then you have to polish that swimstep first. Then when you have coated it will have a really nice luster that matches the boats gauges and trim.

Krumbsnatcher
06-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Magic34
You don't have to polish it first to get that effect, it will only cost more money. "Mirror coating" powercoat will give it the shine as polishing and then powercoating will as well.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krumbsnatcher
[B]If you want that brilliant color that you see in all the boating mags that will match your dash then you have to polish that swimstep first. Then when you have coated it will have a really nice luster that matches the boats gauges and trim.
So you are saying to apply more coating as a primer, I am assuming it has metalic finishes. How will this work on gauge bezels and smaller items? I am interested in alternatives to covering my products.

Magic34
06-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Krumbsnatcher
So you are saying to apply more coating as a primer, I am assuming it has metalic finishes. How will this work on gauge bezels and smaller items? I am interested in alternatives to covering my products.
Don't know the exacts. I took something to my powdercoater and told him I had to polish it first before he did it and he said he could mirror coat the part and save me the polishing. I didn't ask any more, I was happy. I'll find out for you next week.

C.Fisher
06-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Good replys so far guys!
These parts are semi polished now or atleast with 800 grit paper. I am still kickin the idea of the blue anodize cause it still looks like aluminum under it where the powercoat/ or powderercoat however you say it looks dull. The guy i took this too had some exlamples and his looked as though it had an orange peel efect to it. Not glossy or bright.

C.Fisher
06-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, it looks like we are going to go with the blue anodize. Only problem we face is finding someone with a large enough tank. I will look into that fusion coating a little more. Thanks Krumbsnatcher!
I will post the pics when i have the stuff back and finished. Good luck on your company getting started. I am pretty much will not do side work anymore unless its for a friend, I think i am gonna get burnt by someone who frequents this board currently, but thats a whole another story by itself.
Thanks again!

Rexone
06-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Anodize vs Powdercoat (http://www.rexmar.com/page19.html)

C.Fisher
06-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Anodize vs Powdercoat (http://www.rexmar.com/page19.html)
Damn good info to read on
Thanks Rexone!