PDA

View Full Version : Howard 28 Bullet Rips...................

TPI
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
up the single engine 28-30' stern drive record. We just got back from Havasu and we ran the 2005 orange 28 Bullet with a few changes. The boat was GPS'd by 3 different units at over 113 mph. We also had a helmet cam in place and a little bit of video from another boat. I am going to try and post what I have shortly. The fact is: The boat ran several times between 113-114 mph for us and handled it perfectly. Not a bobble. We held the throttle over 110 mph for a long time, just to see how the 28 Bullet would like it. It loved it. It was a rush for both of us in the boat. For my mechanical buddies: we ran a 1.35 Gear ratio with a 32 lab four blade and 14 lbs of boost at 6050 rpm on 50 gallons of 110 race gas. More to follow..............................

Fast Freddy
04-03-2006, 07:07 PM
congratulations. that is awesome! nothing like beating your old record to reset the bar for the competition once again. just goes to show you don't have to own a tunnel or cat to go fast.

phebus
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I like the way you did it in stealth mode. No fanfare, just a report of your great accomplishment. Congratulations!!

clearfork
04-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey Gt,
Good job buddy, Sounds like that was something to see.
That had to be a rush, I bet you pegged your adrenaline meter.
Too cool, Talk soon..........................MP

TPI
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806_005m.jpg

TPI
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806_018m.jpg

Beer-30
04-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Any way to figure the approx. HP for that set of numbers?

TPI
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I dont even want to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the motor sure sounded happy :)

Brian
04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Wow, that's scootin right along, very nice!
Out of curiosity, what size injectors and fuel pressure are you running to support the boost?
:cool:

TPI
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I run 96 lb injectors with 55 lbs of fuel pressure.

04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Awesome Gary! From what I've seen of you & the boat, I'm not surprised. :rollside: Wish I could have been there.

Brian
04-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I run 96 lb injectors with 55 lbs of fuel pressure.
Ok now I have injector envy! :cry:
Great results again, congrats.
:cool:

TPI
04-04-2006, 05:09 AM
I am putting together some short video of this boat running well into the triple digits. I was wearing a helmet cam during the speed run, and I found that at those kind of speeds, a really good camara would make it much nicer to watch. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the video is still awesome, as I have watched it a few times, and its pretty unbelievable to be handling so smooth and flat at over 110 mph in a single engine V. I think you all will be impressed.

Up 4 River
04-04-2006, 02:27 PM
The numbers seem to get more impresive everytime. Good job :)

dr. margarita
04-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Killer! I heard the conditions were pretty flat. What do you think you would have seen in some 2' chop? What was the air temp?

TPI
04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
That is the funny part. I headed out there to get some of that good air that everyone has been talking about, but when I ran, it was 84 degrees, somewhat humid, and I had a 3" ripple on the water at best. With that same tune up, I am certain it would run OVER 115 in choppy water. I will be running it again. I am just about out of camshaft in my little motor, and I do not want to tear into this hard working pleasure motor at only 80 hrs, so I am limited. Its just getting broken in. Before it's all said and done, my boat will run 115-117 with this motor. I am sure of it. The other 28 I am doing will be faster......................just wait. :D
Here is a link to the video. I never claimed to be a camara guy so bare with it. Its rough, and I could not hold my head still over 100 mph. All of the "IN Boat" coverage was taken well over 100 mph,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no less. Enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://www.videoegg.com/link/2e03905b346f02ae0ff4a:3521

Velocityone
04-09-2006, 07:15 AM
hat's off to you GT very impressive number,but don't forget about the east coast. We have radar runs here in VA a few times each summer and to date i have run 111.2mph on radar and have 113.5mph on gps. So can i say i'm the fastest single engine sterndrive? Back here we only go by the radar speeds seems some people have fast gps. I am running a 26 Velocity w/ blown 540, 10-71 blower, 8psi boost, imco drive w/ 1.3 ratio, and a 32 pitch bravo at 6600rpms. Mabey Clearfork will come to a run in VA. I would love to see a howard in action up close. Best of luck to you as i also will be in search of 115mph this summer.

TPI
04-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Thats great. I can really appreciate that. But like I was saying on the Sandbar, I know a lot of people with very fast vee's, but these Bullets really handle the speed well and turns are unreal. I can take a pretty good turn at 90+ mph, seriously. We also innertube and drive this boat hundreds of miles in the Summer with Super unleaded in the tank and a 110 mph tune up all day long. Its a real kick. I really wish some of the "other" faster vees would bring there boats out to be driven and evaluated by the Magazines "Impartial judges" if you will. Obviously I favor my brand, due to the all around performance, not just the speed. From what I can tell, the Super fast vees are multiple stepped and they seem to run real well offshore in a relatively straight line at speed. I think the guys on the east coast really like to go fast! :D But out here on the West coast, the people seem to look for a more versatile vee, that can do other things as well. Running fast in glass is pretty easy in this single ventilated stepped Howard Bullet and they will run a very stable top end number too.
I hope you guys enjoy all this stuff.

Velocityone
04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
GT sounds like we are on the same page, i ski and cruse with the family and when i want to go fast i put in good gas just to be safe. No need to change setups all the time and i put about 60-80 hours a year on my ride. if you will take a turn at 90mph you must have ba##s, at 75 to 80ish i stop turning.No steps in the bottom of my boat , just a pad to set on and runs well in glass as well as 2-3 foot chop. I must admit that a velocity requires LOTS of attention at 100+mph , so im looking forward to riding in a howard to see how they handle. I have even considered a howard for my next boat,wonder what one will do with my engine?

TPI
04-09-2006, 09:01 AM
GT sounds like we are on the same page, i ski and cruse with the family and when i want to go fast i put in good gas just to be safe. No need to change setups all the time and i put about 60-80 hours a year on my ride. if you will take a turn at 90mph you must have ba##s, at 75 to 80ish i stop turning.No steps in the bottom of my boat , just a pad to set on and runs well in glass as well as 2-3 foot chop. I must admit that a velocity requires LOTS of attention at 100+mph , so im looking forward to riding in a howard to see how they handle. I have even considered a howard for my next boat,wonder what one will do with my engine?
Sounds like a great boat. Those are some big numbers without any steps in the hull. If we are ever in the same place, flag me down and I will take you for a ride. Thanks for the positive input. Also, I too would like to see my buddy "clearfork" running some big numbers out east.
Take care. Gary

Velocityone
04-09-2006, 09:16 AM
GT, As soon as i get a little better or help with this computer i will post some pics and video of my run. I would love to get clearfork to some of our events, i'm sure he will have a blast and i need some new compitition. I will keep you posted on upcoming events back here and mabey clearfork can come.

04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Gary,
The only thing missing from the video is a still-shot of you, right at the end holding up a "striper" while standing on the swim step!
The video is good, but I know the ride on the boat was much better! :D
------Rob

FASTERDAMITT
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Thats great. I can really appreciate that. But like I was saying on the Sandbar, I know a lot of people with very fast vee's, but these Bullets really handle the speed well and turns are unreal. I can take a pretty good turn at 90+ mph, seriously. We also innertube and drive this boat hundreds of miles in the Summer with Super unleaded in the tank and a 110 mph tune up all day long. Its a real kick. I really wish some of the "other" faster vees would bring there boats out to be driven and evaluated by the Magazines "Impartial judges" if you will. Obviously I favor my brand, due to the all around performance, not just the speed. From what I can tell, the Super fast vees are multiple stepped and they seem to run real well offshore in a relatively straight line at speed. I think the guys on the east coast really like to go fast! :D But out here on the West coast, the people seem to look for a more versatile vee, that can do other things as well. Running fast in glass is pretty easy in this single ventilated stepped Howard Bullet and they will run a very stable top end number too.
I hope you guys enjoy all this stuff.
GT,
We enjoy this stuff more than you know. U have a sweet boat. As for the offshore guys, I have no idea why we don't see more in mags. Maybe it's thier advertising budget? I know my Super runs level and as straight as an arrow at 94 with 800hp in any water so far, including Catalina trips. Someday a M4 Procharger and another 350hp will tell the tale. But then again, I have the wife or kids with me 95% of the time, don't know if it's worth it. I would really love to see a Howard in the POPRA series. I was almost there built my boat as race hull, but decided I didn't want to beat my motor. You want to donate a motor? :D I would love to race. Come on, just do it!

clearfork
04-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Well Gary,
Sounds like maybe you might need to make a trip to TN this summer.
Southwest flies into Nashville ya know.....?
Mr velocity(2),
Where are the radar runs? When and what time.
I have yet to even splash the boat, and really cannot speak how I can drive the boat yet. I need some seat time before I start bragging and boasting.
However, Gary has more seat time in Howards than anyone I would say.
I would donate the boat and gas, if he wants to come out and Drive/throttle.
Until I get used to the boat I am not going to start talking smack. Yet.....
I am not trying to insinuate anything, but we all have seen proof of how the big orange Howard runs. It just seems funny to me that once the claim has been made, everyone has come out of the woodwork saying they too have " the fastest V bottom."
I know it may be difficult to get a magazine to document everything that happens out there in the boating world. However if A manufacturer has a boat that exeeds some sort of set rule/record. I am sure that ***boat/powerboat/speedboat/boating etc.... would want to know and would publish such FACTS.
Maybe, I have not done all of my homework, But I can assure you that if a manufacturer had a boat that exeeded some sort of record , it would become public knowlege. Take for instance Fountain, if they had something that would do this kind of speed. It would be on the first two pages of every peformance magazine.
I am not trying to dispute anyone's word here, but if you have some documentation that says otherwise. That is what everybody wants to see.
I bought a Howard for many many reasons, one of which was the single V record.
Let me know where the radar runs are, I will be sure to attend, one way or the other (work permitting).
We are planning to hit some of the Poker runs this summer.
(Chattanooga, Knoxville, Center Hill, Old Hickory, Lake Lanier, and possibly Lake Cumberland)
Maybe we can talk Mr. Taylor into heading east and Doing the " Special Tune and Race gas " For the Red Barron.
Maybe I will meet you in the 107-108 zone..... I know she will do it.
MP

Velocityone
04-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Tha Rappahannock River Boaters Association has two rader runs planned for this summer, pending permitts, which should be in hand first of may. The date for the runs are June 3rd and October 7th weather and water permitting. Location for the runs is about 10 miles north of Tappahannock, VA. on the Rappahannock river. You would need to put in at June Parker Marina in Tappahannock and head north from there aprox. 6-8 miles as this is the only ramp close that will handle 20+ foot boats, and tech inspection is also done there. Tech is fairly basic, kill switch (working), fire Extinguisher, throtle returns, lifeline jacket, helmit is recomended, no oil or gas leakes. The club is also planning a fun/poker run some time in august but i don't have a date yet. As far as velocity advertising, it seems they want to appeal,to the masses and sell stockers and bigger twins. I really think they don't want to be associated with me just incase i wreck, injur, etc., myself in there hull.(can't blame em) As far as magazine coverage, that would just be cool :) but VA. is hardly a blip on there radar, over here if its not in FL. it dos'nt exist. :rolleyes: There was a run on the Potomic river november of last year, i think he is planning on running again this year but i have not heard a date for that one yet. I do have video of my 111mph pass but at this point i am cluless as how to get it on the computer but i am trying. :cry: If my post are coming across as smack, sorry not my intent at all, it gets boring when all that will play are tunnels. Just looking for friendly compitition, i have the utmost respecet for anybody that will build and drive single engine Vs at 100+mph.

TPI
04-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Mr Velocity1,
Sounds like friendly competition to me. I like it.
Mr Clearfork, I want to see you run that 28 Bullet out there. I have a 107 mph tune up I can mail you. It only takes about 15 minutes to perform and I know your black widow 900 will like it, and we all know the boat wont be concerned running that kind of speed. I would love to run that boat of yours out there, but I am going to be busy right up until the Howard Regatta(July). It seems there are some Howards that want to be in the triple digits for that event, and they have called upon my services. That's all I can say about that.
A side note: I am thinking about starting a thread in a month or so and calling it "The fastest Howard 28 Bullet Build up", although I hate to know that I am working on a boat that is going to out run mine.
I really think my boat has a few more mph in it with one inch more pitch(33) but I am maxed out on my tune up. I could put more boost to it, but the cam is too small to take it. All I can do to go faster(without changing the motor) is prop it up a bit, and look for some good fast water. We will see. I am very happy with the 113+ that the boat ran...........................but I still know there is a little more there with the orange 28 Bullet :idea: If I have time, I will give it another go and look for 115. :D

Angry Inch
04-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm becoming a bigger Howard fan by the minute. GT, your bullet is HOT!

TPI
04-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks,
They build some really nice boats over there and these Bullets are just a dream to drive. I let my friend drive mine while I was sitting in the passenger seat, and I kept yelling "Go Faster", it was kind of funny, because even though I was used to the speed of the boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I sometimes forget that some people arent used to "cruising" at 90+ mph and up for any long distances in a single engine vee. He told me later that he just felt like he was going too fast, and the boat felt faster than he wanted to drive it at that time. Later on in the day, I watched this same friend get very complacent/comfortable with the boat. We would come up on "busy" parts of the lake or a pretty sharp turn and I would then have to yell, "Hey, you are going 90 mph", and I would then see the shock on his face as he pulled back on the throttle. It's a really fun boat to drive, and it was totally perfect at 113+. I have said before: I think the limit to my big orange 28 Bullet is approx 115 mph, but I really cannot say what the limit is to the hull. I am sure there is a point where you could over power it, but I can tell right now, The Howard 28 Bullet Hull could handle speeds in the 120's NO PROBLEM, I am sure of it, absolutely sure. It is just going to take a good motor/drive combination to do it. We will see............................................... .... :cool:

djunkie
04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Mr Velocity1,
Sounds like friendly competition to me. I like it.
Mr Clearfork, I want to see you run that 28 Bullet out there. I have a 107 mph tune up I can mail you. It only takes about 15 minutes to perform and I know your black widow 900 will like it, and we all know the boat wont be concerned running that kind of speed. I would love to run that boat of yours out there, but I am going to be busy right up until the Howard Regatta(July). It seems there are some Howards that want to be in the triple digits for that event, and they have called upon my services. That's all I can say about that.
A side note: I am thinking about starting a thread in a month or so and calling it "The fastest Howard 28 Bullet Build up", although I hate to know that I am working on a boat that is going to out run mine.
I really think my boat has a few more mph in it with one inch more pitch(33) but I am maxed out on my tune up. I could put more boost to it, but the cam is too small to take it. All I can do to go faster(without changing the motor) is prop it up a bit, and look for some good fast water. We will see. I am very happy with the 113+ that the boat ran...........................but I still know there is a little more there with the orange 28 Bullet :idea: If I have time, I will give it another go and look for 115. :D
I can't wait to see your Bullett run at the regatta GT. You guys are gonna make me feel like a little guy when I'm only running 70. :crossx:

TPI
04-13-2006, 05:57 AM
No way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,last year the lake was like a washing machine of different boat wakes going every different direction, which was really unsafe for any big speeds. There were alot of "non Howards" on the lake enjoying the afternoon that day. I dont think anyone got into the triple digits at all during the regatta. Maybe, but I am not sure. Rough, blown out white caps are one thing, but unpredictable boat rollers going every different direction on a Saturday afternoon at Havasu are'nt the most safe conditions to be running flat out. Especially with so many people are aound coming in and out of the coves. Don't get me wrong, if we have a clear safe space, it will be hammer down for sure. :D Really looking forward to that.

hcb26
04-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey GT thats impressive,when you going out next? Im taking the cat out this Easter weekend. I hope its nice. How do you like your drive? Im worried this summer might be the kiss of death for the B-max 3 seasons on it. I still havent ran the Cat WOT with the new engine. The weekend of the Regatta last year was its second trip out and it was way to rough that weekend. And I have had it out only once since then. So we will see. Travis

clearfork
04-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey Gary,
Yes , I am putting the cart before the horse.
I will talk to you about the upgrade, in HP for the widow.
She has had a nice nap and is ready to stretch her legs.
I need some seat time for sure.
Like I said, TN is sure nice this time of year....
MP

clearfork
04-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Is the Water in the Rappahamnock brakish or salt?
Seems to close to the chesapeke not to be?
The Red Barron is allergic to SALT.
MP

Angry Inch
04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks,
They build some really nice boats over there and these Bullets are just a dream to drive. I let my friend drive mine while I was sitting in the passenger seat, and I kept yelling "Go Faster", it was kind of funny, because even though I was used to the speed of the boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I sometimes forget that some people arent used to "cruising" at 90+ mph and up for any long distances in a single engine vee. He told me later that he just felt like he was going too fast, and the boat felt faster than he wanted to drive it at that time. Later on in the day, I watched this same friend get very complacent/comfortable with the boat. We would come up on "busy" parts of the lake or a pretty sharp turn and I would then have to yell, "Hey, you are going 90 mph", and I would then see the shock on his face as he pulled back on the throttle. It's a really fun boat to drive, and it was totally perfect at 113+. I have said before: I think the limit to my big orange 28 Bullet is approx 115 mph, but I really cannot say what the limit is to the hull. I am sure there is a point where you could over power it, but I can tell right now, The Howard 28 Bullet Hull could handle speeds in the 120's NO PROBLEM, I am sure of it, absolutely sure. It is just going to take a good motor/drive combination to do it. We will see............................................... .... :cool:
120 is FAST! I've seen 123ish in a Stoker and it damn near blew my freckles off.

pixrthis
04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Gary
Do you have any customers with 496 ho's in these boats so they can come out and run F1. Pacific Offshore is in dire need of boats and going into corners deck to deck is alot of fun. There are also Production classes for boats that don't fit into F1, it's like bracket racing at the drags.
Sean Lambert

Velocityone
04-13-2006, 02:17 PM
the water in the rapp. is brakish. Parkers marina is 1/4 mile north of tapp. bridge, and north of the bridge is fresh. The run site is about 8 miles north of the tapp. bridge headed toward freddricksberg, and about 30-35 miles from the bay. This event is insured so there is a entry fee to run, i think $25.00, and there will be rescue and dive team on site for emergencies.

Jrocket
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Nice numbers!
Is this the same motor that was just getting ready to be tuned over on Gary Teagues dyno? Single Whipple motor 900? Good looking motor.

TPI
04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
JRocket,
The motor in my boat is a 555 ci quad-rotor. That motor going on GT's dyno is a tpi 900 efi thats all ready to go. I just need to dyno it for the customer. It does look very nice, thanks for the compliment.
Travis,
No joke about last years water conditions, it was nasty. I love the drive, and what I love most is the service. Jason and Aaron @ Max Machine have been really great with me and my customers. I know I am overpowering my drive, and I honestly planned on changing the gears in the lower annually, but I have not had to do it( 80 hours.) I never hammer it or fly the boat in and out of the water, and that helps. I also change the oil every 10+ Hours. We dissassembled it last summer for an inspection and everything looked new. No gear pitting at all. The drive has exceeded my expectations, and thats hard to do.
I really would like to break the 120 mph mark in a Howard 28 Bullet someday. After running over 113, I am itching to go faster. I thought I got all of that out of my system 10 years ago. I guess not.

TPI
04-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Gary
Do you have any customers with 496 ho's in these boats so they can come out and run F1. Pacific Offshore is in dire need of boats and going into corners deck to deck is alot of fun. There are also Production classes for boats that don't fit into F1, it's like bracket racing at the drags.
Sean Lambert
Sean,
I have thought about talking to Howard about running F1. I would love to drive. But I think I would be hooked! I really do believe the 28 Bullet would be competitive. I know that Howard is already making as many boats as they can, so they would have to want to get involved, just to get involved. The interest probably isnt there. I understand. They seem to be pretty happy building performance sport boats for families, and the families that own them seem to be pretty happy too. Maybe some day if some "high dollar" guy comes along with a good head on his shoulders and want's to run a Howard 28 and represent the company, maybe they will do it? Hard to say. The Bullet runs well, no doubt about it.
Gary

Beer-30
04-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Sean,
I have thought about talking to Howard about running F1. I would love to drive. But I think I would be hooked! I really do believe the 28 Bullet would be competitive. I know that Howard is already making as many boats as they can, so they would have to want to get involved, just to get involved. The interest probably isnt there. I understand. They seem to be pretty happy building performance sport boats for families, and the families that own them seem to be pretty happy too. Maybe some day if some "high dollar" guy comes along with a good head on his shoulders and want's to run a Howard 28 and represent the company, maybe they will do it? Hard to say. The Bullet runs well, no doubt about it.
Gary
You could just run your own!

TPI
04-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I could just say its a 496 right? lol

pixrthis
04-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Sean,
Gary
It will hook you. Kind of like an entire season of drag racing in one race.

Beer-30
04-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I could just say its a 496 right? lol
And, it wouldn't be a lie. It's just 496 plus a few.

TPI
04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Seriously,
As much as I love driving my Howard 28 Bullet.....................if I raced it, I would probably never see my wife and kids again...............and that would be bad. Thats why I am working on the set up for this new 2007 Howard 28 Bullet that is going to out run mine. It will save me some money and I will still be involved. The bill will be someone elses. I think thats the way to do it. I am just wondering how I am going to feel about a faster 28 Bullet than mine? Even if it has one of my motors in it, I think it's going to bother me a little. :cry:
This was a good day for me. The owner of the new "faster" bullet is the passenger. He is sold on the performance. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806123_029.jpg

TPI
04-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I can't wait to have another day like this one. Kinda makes alot of hard work seem worthwhile.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383Record2806m_021.jpg