PDA

View Full Version : needs some help on a blower

slotracer
05-05-2003, 04:20 PM
i have a bbc 30 over. 9 to 1 comp. rect. heads, msd ing. comp xm 278h-12 hyd. cam, holley 850 d.p. i am thinking about getting a b&m 174 blower
for it. what do you guys think about the set up?
thanks any input would help. not looking to make a monster engine just something with a little punch. thanks pat(slotracer) :D
[ May 05, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: SLOTRACER ]

TIMINATOR
05-05-2003, 07:24 PM
I've got a B&M 250 w/2 ratios,5lbs& 7lbs, w/2 carb top,12 rib drive,all polished for sq.port. if your interested,E-mail me

wfodude
05-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Yo Pat...Just my 02. but I wouldn't waste my time on that In MY opinion rinky dink little blower.Trust me you will want to go bigger and badder and unless you get it DIRT cheap I think it will be a money loser for you.The 250 is not a bad blower but I had a 420 and sold it for a roots setup and have never regretted it. Save your money and do it right the first time.A 6-71 or an 8-71.will do the trick.Hell I'm looking at replacing my 8 with a 14 and I've got plenty of ponies now...horsepower is a powerful drug...very addicting..and you just want more and more

Fiat48
05-05-2003, 09:46 PM
wfodude:
Yo Pat...Just my 02. but I wouldn't waste my time on that In MY opinion rinky dink little blower.Trust me you will want to go bigger and badder and unless you get it DIRT cheap I think it will be a money loser for you.The 250 is not a bad blower but I had a 420 and sold it for a roots setup and have never regretted it. Save your money and do it right the first time.A 6-71 or an 8-71.will do the trick.Hell I'm looking at replacing my 8 with a 14 and I've got plenty of ponies now...horsepower is a powerful drug...very addicting..and you just want more and more Yep. Same as my 2 cents. Also remember small blowers can act like a bit of a governor.

eliminator777
05-06-2003, 04:40 AM
You don't want a small Blower .Do a 6-71 or 8-71 so if you decide to get rid of it you can get your money back. :D :D :D :p

Unchained
05-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Having just sold the last roots blower I'll own I have some real strong opinions on them.
If you only want to run 3 or 4 lbs boost don't waste your money on a blower.
If you will be satisfied with 7 or 8 lbs boost don't go with anything smaller than an 8-71 without strips.
If you want to run 10 to 18 lbs go right to a 14-71 without strips.
If you want to run above 18 lbs then you need a 14-71 with teflon or nylatron strips but then you get into an extreme maintenance cost because the strips wear out fast and it's not cheap or easy to replace them. Funny no one ever talks about blower maintenance costs here.
With the turbo's I expect the maintenance cost's to be 0 forever, unless I run some nuts and bolts through it. eek!
My .02

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Unchained:
Having just sold the last roots blower I'll own I have some real strong opinions on them.
If you only want to run 3 or 4 lbs boost don't waste your money on a blower.
If you will be satisfied with 7 or 8 lbs boost don't go with anything smaller than an 8-71 without strips.
If you want to run 10 to 18 lbs go right to a 14-71 without strips.
If you want to run above 18 lbs then you need a 14-71 with teflon or nylatron strips but then you get into an extreme maintenance cost because the strips wear out fast and it's not cheap or easy to replace them. Funny no one ever talks about blower maintenance costs here.
With the turbo's I expect the maintenance cost's to be 0 forever, unless I run some nuts and bolts through it. eek!
My .02 I run 8 psi with a 6:71 street blower set up. I get 10 psi with the race blower same drive. I have no plans on replacing the strips as they have worn the clearances open to a street blower set up.

slotracer
05-06-2003, 09:10 AM
by all the responce's the best thing to do is wait and build a strong engine and go with at
least 6-71 blower. thanks for all the input guys
pat(slotracer) :D

gnarley
05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
It all depends on how much you can spend, what you put it in & how much room it will take up. I'd love to go to an 8-71 but I don't have the money. So for what I have now & how much is in the TOTAL investment I feel just fine!
Would you be happy with what you have & what you put into it? That’s all that really matters! There are a lot of ego's in lots of these boats & when you think you have outdone everyone you find that someone just outdid you. There is always someone that’s got something better, faster, newer & nicer.
Will the little huffer make you happy? Will it teach you what you need to step up to a big one latter? Will it give you what you need & at a cost that you can afford? If you get a small blower for the right price & it works for you & your budget & it works on your boat & you don’t have to build the motor just for the addition, why not? There will be little things that you need to do but that part of learning. Bigger blowers come at bigger costs, if you want to lean on it you better have the parts under it & that means more $$.
So how much do you want to spend? I think 78Eliminator is building one on a budget, ask him how much he’s into it so far & when is it going to stop.
Good luck

Blown 472
05-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Nice post, I will give you a little insight to my blower motors which I am sure will draw sighs but whatever my wallet. The blown motor I have in my dodge is a stock bore 440, stock steel crank, stock rods with direct connection rod bolts, studded mains, trw heavy as hell pistons, moly rings, honed the block and decked for flatness, the heads are stock iron heads with stock valves, I did use the dc port kit. Isky cam and gear, crane non roller adjustable rockers, stock head bolts, 6:71 with two 800's, before the pulley change I was making 10 psi almost 11 and shifting the car a 6500 rpm, I have had this combo together for two years now and I hound on it everytime I take it out, have not broken anything yet.
My ford is a stock deal too, other than bearing issues I have not broken anything on that and I was at 9 psi.
Oh yeah, I have 1200.00 in the motor, I figured my first blower motor why not build a mule, damn thing is still living.
[ May 06, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

gnarley
05-06-2003, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blown 472:
I have 1200.00 in the motor, I figured my first blower motor why not build a mule, damn thing is still living.
$1200.00 ?? either you found great deals on parts or had the right connections for all the parts or you built it 20 years ago. Whatever the case, it sounds like a hell of a deal & a great combo! The bottom line is it makes you happy!

wfodude
05-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Pat I may be selling my BDS 8-71. It is a stage 3 with 1 season of lite use on it.I'll keep you posted

Ratacole
05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
I am happy with my 671 & I got it real cheep. The problem is it's like buying a new couch.... Once you put the thing in the room, now it don't match the carpet, wait now they don't go with the blinds, hell now the walls need paint. It seemed like every time I turned around I had to have something else & the something else was always $100.00 or more. I also spent countless $$$ on next day air (but I need it by the weekend) :) Like it was said before you will always want more & more POWER. I say, if you are going to do it, do it right. If you buy a little at a time, before you know it you will have what you want. Good luck...... Mike

eliminator777
05-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Most guys don't have the patients to put the total package together.It takes time 1 piece at a time.Blower motors are like your home every piece must go with the next piece it all has to match.And unless your rich it takes time. :D :D :D :p :p

slotracer
05-07-2003, 05:00 AM
wfodude send me a e-mail with how much you would like to get for it so i can start thinking about
it. thanks pat(slotracer) :D

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 05:21 AM
gnarley:
I have 1200.00 in the motor, I figured my first blower motor why not build a mule, damn thing is still living.
$1200.00 ?? either you found great deals on parts or had the right connections for all the parts or you built it 20 years ago. Whatever the case, it sounds like a hell of a deal & a great combo! The bottom line is it makes you happy! Sorry, should have been more clear, 1200.00 without the blower stuff, I had a block, reused my crank and rods, and heads, new cam and stuff.

Heatseeker
05-07-2003, 07:19 AM
eliminator777:
Most guys don't have the patients to put the total package together.It takes time 1 piece at a time.Blower motors are like your home every piece must go with the next piece it all has to match.And unless your rich it takes time. :D :D :D :p :p That's for sure. I've been building the blower engine for almost 2 years. It's almost done!
Although, I couldn't look at the blower sitting in the box anymore and I installed on top of my stock 454 last season. Ran it at 7 lbs. all summer long!

gnarley
05-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry, should have been more clear, 1200.00 without the blower stuff
OK so how much $$ in EVERYTHING specifically related to the blower & time to get it right?

Blown 472
05-07-2003, 10:11 AM
gnarley:
Sorry, should have been more clear, 1200.00 without the blower stuff
OK so how much $$ in EVERYTHING specifically related to the blower & time to get it right? I have about 2800.00 in the blower stuff, and bout six months of reading and trying different stuff to get it dialed in, using a stock dist, I had to weld the slot somewhat closed to limit the total advance, then the carbs where lots of fun. I could not get it to idle right, I kept getting into the transfer slots and with such high vacuum it would run rich as hell.
I ended up drilling holes in all the throttle blades to get it to idle right.
Then I found the power valve plugs where hitting the main body and holding the plates off and leaking fuel into the power valve well and causing it to run rich, a file fixxed that.
I did a cruise plug check the other day and was able to jet down 2 points as it would blubber from off idle to a good way into cruise, now that is all gone and it still pulls hard when I stand on it with out power valves.
The msd 6al was a hugh improvement over the crome dodge box, that and a little av gas, some marval mystery oil and lead addative.
I am talking about my dodge as I have only a few weeks tuning on my boat but I did pretty much the same things to the carbs, ignition etc.