PDA

View Full Version : Plate bose installation

Speedin' Ian
06-04-2004, 04:16 PM
So I went to install the plate boses and I didn't have the right bolts, bought some that I though would work at OSH, but they don't. So my question is where do I find the right bolts, seems to me they have an oversized head?

Jetboatguru
06-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Call Jim Lange at High tech Marine he is in Simi. 805 583-2656

Little Wood Boat
06-04-2004, 09:01 PM
If your plate pads are round , kind of the old style and have a single hole, they'll be 5/16" NC. They use a 1/2" long flathead or socket head bolt. If when you are putting it together and you don't like the way its fittin' either they won't tighten all the way or you think the head should be flatter on the bottom of the plate, like it's gettin' sucked in it will be because the head has sucked thru the plate. ( This is due to use and constant checking and tightening of the pad.) If so, Drill them out and tap then to 3/8" NC and you'll have to back cut the pad to allow for the "oversized" head. If you don't like any of this....just make new plates and drill the holes right. LWB P.S. Insert funny saying here..."If this shit were easy to do, women and small children could do it."

USCHater
06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Plate Boses? Plate Boses only work well with a good amplifier and you HAVE to have a thumpin sub. You should really be careful to seal them up good because water and Boses do not work real well. Also, when you stop, remember that the water will come over the plate and swamp your Boses... Reverse is OUT of the question...
Carry lots of fuses too. Shorting out your Boses with water really sucks and the chicks hate it when the tunes die down abruptly.
Just my worthless .02...

Lookin for Liquid
06-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
So I went to install the plate boses and I didn't have the right bolts, bought some that I though would work at OSH, but they don't. So my question is where do I find the right bolts, seems to me they have an oversized head? Ian
All Flat Head Machine screw head diameters are the same proportional to their thread diameters. The 5/16 Flat Head machine screw should have head diameter of approx .600" and will fit very nice in a 5/8" countersunk hole. I believe where you are encountering your problem is in the head height. The 5/16" Flat head screw has a head height of approx .190" and is taller than the thickness of your cav plate (.125?). You need to use what is called an "Undercut Flat Head" which is trimmed back at the base of the head and reduces the head height 70% allowing it to work in thinner metals without bottoming out.
Shoot me a call if you want.
Dan

DaveA
06-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by USCHater
Plate Boses? Plate Boses only work well with a good amplifier and you HAVE to have a thumpin sub. You should really be careful to seal them up good because water and Boses do not work real well. Also, when you stop, remember that the water will come over the plate and swamp your Boses... Reverse is OUT of the question...
Carry lots of fuses too. Shorting out your Boses with water really sucks and the chicks hate it when the tunes die down abruptly.
Just my worthless .02...
I agree. The Boses in my Acuras suffer from bad caps in the amplifiers.
I hate when that happens.....:D
Uh....um....Oh! You mean BOSSES!
Nevermind.

Pee Dub
06-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Ifyou don't have the undercut flatheads, countersink the threads just far enough to let the head of the screw seat on the plate, providing that the threads still have enough contact length in the boss. Rule of thumb is optimal length is 1 1/2 times the thread diameter. 5/16 thread would need 7/16-1/2" thread contact.

Itsahobby
06-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Just a bit of caution, not all Stainless steel is the same.
The stainless steel you get at OSH has a high carbon
content(they will rust!) Not that they would have it but,
I get most of my SS from West Marine. Seems to be good
so far. The are pricey, but I mainly get 1 or 2 of this or that:D
Hobby
Originally posted by Speedin' Ian
So I went to install the plate boses and I didn't have the right bolts, bought some that I though would work at OSH, but they don't. So my question is where do I find the right bolts, seems to me they have an oversized head?