PDA

View Full Version : help...

Ntwotrance
06-04-2004, 06:11 PM
We were out on the lake last weekend, boat was running fine and after about an hour or so on the water, it just dies. Tried to restart, and just got a sluggish crank (like a dead battery, but the battery was just replaced the day prior). Get it home, and take a look at it today. Tried to start it first, and fired right up. Shut it down and tried to start it again, only to get the sluggish turn over. Hooked up an amp meter to the battery, saw it at 12.65 then when I attempted to crank it, it would draw down to 6.23. I checked the wiring from the alternator (replaced it about 8 months ago) and found a frayed wire, replaced it, and tried to start again, same thing...went to the battery, and the terminals are super hot....I'm guessing the alternator is fried, but wanted to get some feed back as far as what else I should be checking or see if there is something else I'm missing....thanks...

Heatseeker
06-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Sounds to me like a bad starter motor. The hot terminals are indicating a huge amperage draw, which could be caused by a dirty starter.
Just my guess...

Oldsquirt
06-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I suspect the initial problem was due to the bad wire causing the alternator not to charge. Engine died when there was no longer enough charge left in the battery to run the ignition. Also would seem to explain the slow cranking.
Have the new battery tested and recharged/replaced as needed.
Check all connections between battery and engine. Don't just look at them. Take them apart, clean and reinstall. Ground cables should not be connected to a PAINTED surface.
Measure starter draw in AMPS not volts. If the engine and starter are in good shape, it shouldn't exceed about 200 amps.
With engine running(make it brief), measure alternator output. Volts will be OK for the time being, but amperage is a better measurement. Should be over about 13.5 at idle.
I bet you find a bad connection or a suspect starter.

Ntwotrance
06-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I did take all the wires off and clean them (right after I found that frayed wire). the battery is holding a charge, but as i said, when I go to crank it over, it draws down to 6.25 (even after replacing the frayed wire). The battery terminals were way hot to the touch, and after that I didn't attempt to start it any further. I will check the starter in the morning, as that seems to be the source of the problems here...thank you.

Oldsquirt
06-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Merely repairing the frayed wire won't immediately affect starting. That may have kept the battery from being charged while running, leading to the initial failure.
Take the battery in and have it load tested. I'm betting that it is either real weak at this point or maybe even defective.
Recheck starter draw with a fully charged battery. If it still causes that huge voltage drop, it is probably bad. Have it tested off the engine. Marine starters are prone to corrosion. Remember a tight engine/pump can also cause a high draw.

Ntwotrance
06-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks OS, I'll take the battery up tomorrow where I bought it and have them test it. After that I'll toss another battery I have in the garage and will test the starter after that

AngryJosh
06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Also check you grounds...

Ntwotrance
06-04-2004, 07:22 PM
and thanks as well heatseeker

JayBee
06-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Reminder - heat is caused by resistance. Many times the exact connection that gets the hottest is the source of the resistance....

sidewound
06-04-2004, 08:20 PM
I don't know if your running GM but I've had the same problem when the nosecone bushing gets too worn. My .02
:cool:

Little Wood Boat
06-04-2004, 08:44 PM
All things being the same before you replaced the battery...I'd say you got a crappy battery even if was sold as "new" it doesn't act like a new battery. Take it back. Don't let them pull some B.S. about "we need to charge it overnight to test it", "company policy". Just get another one if it doesn't load test correctly the first time. LWB P.S. Good Luck!

BigBoyToys
06-04-2004, 08:46 PM
I had a similar problem once, replaced starter (2 times), alternator, battery, etc still had the problem. It turned out being a short in my key ignition switch where it was grounding out. This would only happen occasionally. Ssmetimes it would start, sometimes not.
I ended up replacing the switch with a pushbutton starter switch and a safety kill switch for the ignition. No problems since.....

Ntwotrance
06-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Thank you to everyone for your feedback! It's great to have somewhere to turn to when you're racking your brain, and don't know which way to go. BBT, i will also look into the ignition, something else I hadn't thought of. LWB, Sidwound, and JB, a thanks to you as well as to OS and Heatseeker.

Jake W
06-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I have something to add some times if the timing is off it will be hard to start after it is hot.
I had the same problem with my Ford when it was in a diffrent boat but I fixed mine buy putting All MSD ign and dis on it
Jake:D

Ntwotrance
06-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
I have something to add some times if the timing is off it will be hard to start after it is hot.
I had the same problem with my Ford when it was in a diffrent boat but I fixed mine buy putting All MSD ign and dis on it
Jake:D
I put the MSD in last year as well, after having that problem, glad I did

Checkmate
06-05-2004, 07:06 AM
I would suspect the starter myself as stated above. I just replaced mine the second time in 3 years. I had to put a 225 amp jump on a brand new battery to start the damn boat, then for some reason the boat would not stay running well. Apparently the starter was still drawing power. Replaced the starter and all was well.
When they put the starter on the test station at the auto parts store, the thing blew the breaker it was pulling so many amps. ALso it would make my battery cables smoke on the ends it was getting soo hot.
Guess those few times I had the starter submerged in water, it really took it's toll.:cool:

Ntwotrance
06-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Checkmate
I would suspect the starter myself as stated above. I just replaced mine the second time in 3 years. I had to put a 225 amp jump on a brand new battery to start the damn boat, then for some reason the boat would not stay running well. Apparently the starter was still drawing power. Replaced the starter and all was well.
When they put the starter on the test station at the auto parts store, the thing blew the breaker it was pulling so many amps. ALso it would make my battery cables smoke on the ends it was getting soo hot.
Guess those few times I had the starter submerged in water, it really took it's toll.:cool:
I had thought about that last night, trying to recall how many times it got submerged...not many on mine, but the few times it did, I suspect were enough...ouch...

mach1alaska
06-05-2004, 10:14 AM
I would doubt that an alternater would cause the problem
I don't have an alt on mine and can go all day without a problem. that is of course with a good battery .