PDA

View Full Version : idling&msd

signmaster
06-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I was at performance marine today and was asking about my idling problem ,this is a454 merlin heads 871 bds and two 850s that have been boost referanced the motor still idles rough below 1000 rpm anything less its barely running,he told me to elimenate my mech advance and set timing to 28 degrees advance , any input ? the lake cops who sit in the no wake area yell at me for going to fast otherwise I could live with 1100 rpm.

Fiat48
06-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Lock the distributor (no advance) but I'd run more than 28 degrees. 32 to 34. 28 degrees timing makes exhaust heat you don't want.

rustyk
06-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Lock the distributor (no advance) but I'd run more than 28 degrees. 32 to 34. 28 degrees timing makes exhaust heat you don't want.
This is first.
Check your plugs aleast two Front and a rear. If the plug is golden brown and not black and wet looking then do something else, But if its black Like nasty black(thick) You need jetting or power valve tuning, That will help your idling greatly,it will even make your boat have that popcorn sound between the blower idle we all know of. I would leave the timing where you can benifit from the advance like you are suppose to,Max timing you want is about 32 on a blower i have been told unless you have a knock sensor on a retard box for extra protection.

signmaster
06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
at an idle there nice and brown . this weekend I locked it out & set it to 32deg. that solved my idle problem now all thats left is my top end fuel supply problem & im set so far Im seeing 82mph even with all my problems ,thanks to everyone in here ,:D :D