PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this jet run

BigBlockOldsJet
06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I came accross this thread, has anyone seen this jet run? It looks to be done quite well.
blown alcohol jet (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47618)

BigBlockOldsJet
06-04-2004, 09:57 PM
here are the pics, real curious about this one....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3021/1870back_shot.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3021/1870front_shot.jpg

LVjetboy
06-05-2004, 03:02 AM
I'm curious too. Lot's of talk, not many numbers...yet.
jer

bp
06-05-2004, 08:30 AM
he towed it to the last njba race, but didn't run it. someone else has told me he's now going in another direction, like he's selling the engine???? it would be interesting to see the thing actually make a full pass..

superdave013
06-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bp
he towed it to the last njba race, but didn't run it. someone else has told me he's now going in another direction, like he's selling the engine????
That might not be a bad thing. That boat is just ozzzzzing to hurt someone.

squirt
06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Yep seen it run duing a test and tune session......pretty stout. He didn't do any full passes or WOT just working on set up. Don't know what he's up to now, kinda been keeping my ears open but haven't heard much
Don :cool:

blownalky557
06-05-2004, 11:07 AM
It is true, I have changed direction of this project but only to step things up. It is also true that I was thinking of selling the short block only, but now have decided to keep it as a spare. I am in the process of putting a new engine together, not that the current engine couldn't make the mark, I just want to step up the power quite a bit and also let the motor spin more RPM without any concerns. If all goes as planned, you might see new posts in August from BlownAlky565.

BigBlockOldsJet
06-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
That might not be a bad thing. That boat is just ozzzzzing to hurt someone.
You are planning on turning that thing up, how much more up can you get except for a capsule? I'm thinking more on the line of what superdave posted, that boat currently is an accident waiting to happen and you want to turn things up? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that boat if something happened. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox and wish you the best of luck.

Jetboatguru
06-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Did you get any factual data as to what it ran with this current combination? i.e. GPS or radar gun? If I remember right the mark was a buck fifty. What did you get out of it?

BigBlockOldsJet
06-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Are you bringing this boat to CFW on Father's day?

Heatseeker
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
I've met blownalky557.
I have to say, this is no young kid with a lead foot and a death wish. He has alot of experience with big horse projects. He's sought advice from some of the best in the business. He is very focused and he's approaching his goal in a cautious, analytical way. He's not just jumping into this boat and putting it to the wood. And so far, he's made several small steps towards his goal.
I believe he'll accomplish what he's set out to do safely.

Checkmate
06-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I give the guy credit for attemting to do what so many have said was not possible, or stupid. But he really is NUTS, not that it's a bad thing.:D
Just make sure all the details in your will are worked out because that is one hell of a dangerous toy there.
Wish I had it just to cruise the local river with.
GOOD LUCK B.A.557

UBFJ #454
06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
BAJ 557 -
If your stepping the Hp in that Mach One, you might want to seriously consider installing a lightweight capsule because your not going to be able to race in any sanctioned races without one. Bobby Hewitt (Hewitt Custom Boats & MotoerSports Industries) out here in Mesa makes a top notch one that weighs in fully rigged at about 1/2 of the other manufactures capsules ... PM me if you want contact #'s for him ... He currently has a webSite under development http://www.HewittCustomBoats.com .

Jetboatguru
06-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Heatseeker
I've met blownalky557.
I have to say, this is no young kid with a lead foot and a death wish. He has alot of experience with big horse projects. He's sought advice from some of the best in the business. He is very focused and he's approaching his goal in a cautious, analytical way. He's not just jumping into this boat and putting it to the wood. And so far, he's made several small steps towards his goal.
I believe he'll accomplish what he's set out to do safely.
I would just like to see how fast he ran it before he decided to step up the horsepower. There has yet to be any factual data and I for one would like to hear how the project is coming along. Bear is right, there will be no place to run it should he reach the 150 mph mark but for now he may be safe.

bp
06-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Jetboatguru
I would just like to see how fast he ran it before he decided to step up the horsepower. There has yet to be any factual data and I for one would like to hear how the project is coming along. Bear is right, there will be no place to run it should he reach the 150 mph mark but for now he may be safe.
bill is never gonna know what the thing might do until he gets it on the rope. whether it's this engine or something else. it would be good to see the thing actually make a half track pass, just to see what kind of et it's capable of. doing a few launches on a lake is not the same thing. until the boat makes a few passes, there's really no way to tell what it will do.

Jetboatguru
06-07-2004, 03:35 PM
BP,
That is my point. How the hell is he supposed to know what it does or did unless he has run it down the track? I knew a guy of your intelligence would come through:D :D

Jet Hydro
06-07-2004, 08:18 PM
I`v got an idea ???? Lets install that bad boy in my boat and I`ll tell ya what it runs ;)

blownalky557
06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
First and foremost, this boat's primary mission is a lake rocket. I would like to run the boat occasionally at Ming in the BFJ class, but make no mistake about it, this is a lake rocket so it will never be fitted for a capsule. The boat just hit the water late January this year and as you know, it is very difficult to run high mph right off the trailer with a newly configured boat, it will take some time to get it right. I have encountered a couple of issues along the way but for the most part, I have put them to rest. Since then, I have made several half track passes and am pleased with the results. There are still a few areas that need to be addressed, I am in no hurry and currently not under any time constraints, so the test and tune will continue. I am in the process of putting together a new shortblock for the boat to address my future interests. Thanks one and all for your attention and concerns.

Jetboatguru
06-07-2004, 10:33 PM
That is great that you have a mission in line. Did you happen to get any Numbers on the boat i.e. GPS or radar? I am curious to know what kind of power it takes to push that thing to 150.

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 01:22 AM
I don't post any MPH numbers any longer until 150 is met, those numbers are irrelevant at this time. As far as current HP, I will tell you this, the engine is spinning a loaded A2 Aggressor (A3 Berkeley) stainless impeller with a cavitation reducer 8000 RPM down the track and could go more if it weren't for the rev limiter holding it back. Before installing the progammable launch controller, using just the 8000 chip in the Pro Mag ignition box, the engine would instantly go to 8000 on the initial hit and overpower the pump. Now on the initial hit using the programmable launch controller, the engine is being held at 4500 for a few moments to allow the pump to load and then the RPM curve is quickly ramped up to a maximum of 8000.

bp
06-08-2004, 06:35 AM
i know some people get sensitive and defensive when questions come up, and bill you haven't done that here which is a good thing. but, there's just one more thing i want to question.
from what you are saying, you're spinning a larger impeller than going places did, at several hundred rpm higher than going places' nitro burner spun. and apparently, the only thing that's holding the rpm down to 8k is the rev limiter? since there have been no passes on the clocks, even the half track clocks, these numbers tend to raise several questions regarding actual performance.
i do wish you luck with it.

Bense468
06-08-2004, 06:41 AM
8000 rpm with an AA aggressor? :rolleyes:

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 08:12 AM
BP,
I've had conversations with Frank Place many times regardng the setup of Going Places II and it seems he has taken a slight interest in my boat as well. During my last conversation with Frank this past Friday I questioned him again on their setup, he again told me that Going Places II was spinning a stainless single A impeller over 8500 RPM. Granted my engine is not a fueler, but it makes great power. According to Jim Oddy, this current engine combination can easily produce in upwards of 2000 HP. Also talking with Beal Motorsports regarding his blown alcohol powered jet, he is running a similar combination with similar results. Just to see if these numbers are even close, maybe LV Jetboy using his database or Jet Performance Calculator can post some information.

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by bp
i know some people get sensitive and defensive when questions come up, and bill you haven't done that here which is a good thing.
My discipline is a product of USMC training. I actually welcome these types of conversations because it adds fuel to my fire which makes me that much more determined to succeed.

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
I know a guy that`s spinning an Aggressor A that`s going 130mph. If your twisting that A2 @ 8000 you must be flying? or just have a lot of cavitation?????
I had that cavitation problem before I changed my boats bottom design and twisted the motor up to the 7500 chip all the time. Not real good on a little blown 454.
I`d still like to see what that motor really does in a jet boat?????
I was going to install a Brad 5 in my boat but was talked out of it :(

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
A few owners and years back, this was a fuel boat and had extensive work done to the bottom while at GS Marine.

Beal Motorsports
06-08-2004, 09:17 AM
At St Louis I Ran my AA agressor at 7000 and clocked a 133.50. With an 8.16. No cavitation once so ever. But my pump is still set up as it was when the boat had a capsule running top fuel jet.

Beal Motorsports
06-08-2004, 09:49 AM
When mine was a fuel boat, it used an over drive between the motor and pump. The pump was spinning near 10k when the motor was at 8k. Fastest pass on the boat was a 6.70 @ 173.

ShowDown
06-08-2004, 10:50 AM
I would love to see pictures of your ride Beal Motorsports. Who ran your boat in the fuel class?
Also, who ran Blownalky557's boat on fuel and how fast did it go. Thanks

Jetboatguru
06-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Bill, I have a friend that lives 2 miles from Modesto reservoir and he has seen the boat run. He said it looks to be a 100-110 mph. He has a boat that runs 135-135 on NJBA clocks so he knows what he is looking at. It is strange to see that you wont post the "irrelevant" numbers here. We run TAF and when we run SDBA we race against BFJs, this is why I am curious. I am surprised that you are changing your engine program so early in the game. I guarantee that if you were anywhere near 150 or even 120 that thing would have grabbed your attention. If you are posting the progress of how it runs when you go out, what good is it if you don't post numbers?

Beal Motorsports
06-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Scotty Lumbert raced it when it was Public Nusiance TFJ
Michele Updegraf raced it when it was Havin Fun TFJ
I included a picture of the boat in Brady, TX This year.

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 12:14 PM
095 are you going to FT Worth ??

Beal Motorsports
06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Yes, both the promod and the jet will be there. We will be actually leaving the boats there for Waco the next weekend also.

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 03:03 PM
I`ll be there if I can find my truck driver? It`s the plan anyway.

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
JetBoatGuru,
I stay away from posting numbers because it usually ends up with conversations similar to this one. I wonder how good your friend's eyesight is that lives close to Modesto? It must not be that good or he would have noticed that during the 300" launches that he watched the butterflies were only cracked 0.125". If he said the boat is going 110 MPH in 300" with a butterfly opening of 0.125", I would have to say that is not too bad for the initial stages of this project. Just remember, this irrelevant data is from your good friend and not provided by me. Where was your good friend when I was doing half track passes at 0.500" butterfly opening, he wasn't around then. I checked my posts and no where did I write the boat hasn't grabbed my attention, because it has. Yes, you are right, I have not reached 150 MPH in this boat, yet. It may or may not be attainable, but I am going to give it my best shot with the attitude of what ever it takes. Lastly, the reason why I am switchng short blocks is because of the current rod ratio, 4.375 stroke with a 6.385 rod, not very good is it. I am building a new short block to address this issue while I am testing and tuning the boat's overall setup using the current engine. Like I said earlier, I am in no hurry.

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 05:18 PM
A2 Aggressor (A3 Berkeley) stainless impeller with a cavitation reducer 8000 RPM down the track and could go more if it weren't for the rev limiter holding it back.
All this at only 0.500" butterfly opening??? Hummmmm
I think I`m with Tony on this one. :eek:
BTW.... Tony, any bet`s on if I`ll hit my mark in FT Worth this time? :D 100mph or 10.????? I bet 10.??? is a sure deal.

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Jet Hydro,
Did you happen to notice on the pics that BigBlockOldsJet so kindly posted the type of barrel valve used on this setup . Do you understand what is happening with the fuel delivery at 0.500" butterfly opening?

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Nope...Don't know anything about it.
The only thing I know is that if that bad looking %$%%$& was in my boat it would only see WOT :D
I`d be more than happy to post what MPH it ran because it would mean that I lived to tell about it :D

Jetboatguru
06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Bill, I do know that in a Flatbottom, the boat will not perform at 1/8th throttle. It has to be run at WOT or the boat will not handle correctly. How does one measure .125 while driving it? You have to remember that we run a Brad 5 in the TAF and I understand what the motor and fule pump is doing at half throttle and full throttle. It is good that you are taking your time. I am just interested in hearing how things are coming. I have watched Harold Bruce and some others that run have run BGJ and I know it is gas but these are also full tilt big inch motors with Whipples or PSI blowers and they run extremely well. 7.30's at 145 I dont see that kind of power coming out of what you are running.
The difference in power from a 557 to a 565 is not going to be significant. Now a PSI or a Whipple may get you to the promise land.

blownalky557
06-08-2004, 11:41 PM
JetBoatGuru,
So in essence, what you're telling me is that Jim Oddy doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to making power with blown alcohol wedge motors. What particulars do you know about my engine that you can make an honest power assessment from? Do you know the exact blower I'm running, do you know what heads I'm running, do you know what fuel pump I'm running, do you know the cam specs I'm running, do you know the static compression I'm running, what do you know about this engine that Oddy and myself don't? Do you think this is a thrown together piece without any thought from a mail order catalog? Again, the reason for the engine swap is to achieve a better rod ratio which will allow the engine to spin the required RPM with less risk. Also the new short block will have a slightly different camshaft grind. I am glad that you are taking interest in this project and have questioned many things. You have asked for certain information and I have posted what I thought was pertinent and factual. Remember I did not start this post, somebody re-posted pictures that I posted in a different thread, then the questions and comments started. Also to answer your question about measuring a particular butterfly opening when running, I use a small device called a throttle stop.

Jetboatguru
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey you said it about ODDY I didn't. I dont have to know anything about your motor other than the fact that I know it doesn't hold a candle to a Brad 5. Are we in Agreement here? You are running a 1471 hi helix I believe. The heads are pinch head darts or Brodix I am not sure. ANd I am guessing you are running an Enderle 1200 pump. Or if you are smart you are running a waterman. Are you?
This throttle stop, So you actually put a throttle stop on that allowed you to open the butterflies an 1/8th inch? I congratulate you for being able to adjust your throttle stop to allow the peddle to move .20 thousandths before it hits. I realize you did not start this thread but there are just things I am curious about.
Do you feel you are making the kind of power that Harold Bruce was making?

LVjetboy
06-09-2004, 01:25 AM
"maybe LV Jetboy using his database or Jet Performance Calculator can post some information."
Here it is...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/Blown.jpg
Now I don't know much about your engine or typical blown alcohol but that's big time power. Assuming your impeller's loaded at 8k of course. Not a given. I'd be curious how that compares to Going Places II? You mentioned Going Places had an A cut @ over 8500 but what mfg?
My last thought is your stated application. To me, adding more power from where you're at makes sense for racing or setting records on the track, but a lake jet? I'm sorry but I can't see that. If so you're WAY, WAY crazier than me. :D
jer
(Note to others: My comments above though some may spin as abrasive and naysayer-like should in no way be construed as angry, bitter, envious or posts putting BlownAlky and his goals down in any way. These are just my thoughts on the above thread, I am very happy thank you all wanna be closet psychologists. This is the internet...lighten up people!! Let ideas and feedback flow!)

BigBoyToys
06-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Damn. Glad my boat only does 75 MPH at a 19 sec ET;) :D :cool: or else I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it:p LOL

Beal Motorsports
06-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I agree Brad 5 is capable of waaaay more power than a chevrolet. As a matter of fact, we are looking into selling a steel motor and a rodeck to Purchase a brad 5 with veney heads and a PSI D for our promod, and who knows where that will lead......:D

bp
06-09-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
[i]
(Note to others: My comments above though some may spin as abrasive and naysayer-like should in no way be construed as angry, bitter, envious or posts putting BlownAlky and his goals down in any way. These are just my thoughts on the above thread, I am very happy thank you all wanna be closet psychologists. This is the internet...lighten up people!! Let ideas and feedback flow!)
so much for not being sensitive or defensive regarding questions.
i've also heard things from modesto observers. since different people can see different things different ways, i'm not going to repeat what i've been told. i'm just going to continue to repeat the same thing i've been saying; until it's on the track, no one is going to know what the thing can or will do. the track is the right place to do that. the lights tell the truth.

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 06:31 AM
I've watched this project develope since it was announced and have hesitated to comment until now ... Now that it has become clear what this setup's intended use is.
I agree with bp that the track is the place to run that boat, but, perhaps for different a reason ...
What's being built up here is, in reality, a higher Hp Drag Boat and I do not believe that such boats belong on public waterways where running them puts innocents, including children and families, at risk. Owners of such boats that run them constantly on our rivers and lakes I consider to be irresponsible, at best.
Jak Young

blownalky557
06-09-2004, 07:31 AM
JetBoatGuru,
This fact was never in question if my engine holds a candle to a Brad 5, which of course it don't. How can I make an honest comparrison with what Harold Bruce is running without knowing what exactly he has, but this is what you have done. Maybe you can tell me and everyone else on this board what exactly Harold is running so I can compare. Like I said earlier, according to Oddy, my motor is making in upwards of 2000 HP. I understand you have questions, and who wouldn't, I give you answers and you question them as well. Maybe in order for you to understand better the answers that I am giving, I will have to set the appropriate stage. My boat is in no way ready for WOT 1/4 mile passes, the boat has maybe a handful of test and tune sessions on it. Each time I run, more issues come up that have to be corrected. When the boat is dialed in and able to do WOT 1/4 mile passes, I can then post relavent MPH numbers, until then they mean absolutely nothing, do you agree. I hope you don't expect me to run top MPH right off the trailer, by talkng with you and reading your posts, I know you are way smarter than that. How long did it take for you to dial your boat in, what were the people saying that watched your boat run during the initial trial runs, did your boat do what is does now right off the trailer?
Jak,
I totally agree with you, there is a time and place for everything, doing speed runs on a lake full of family boats at 12:00 noon on a summer Sunday is no doubt inappropriate. Running the boat at a venue similar to CFW on NYD, Father's Day is not irresponsible. The key here is having discretion of when and where is the appropriate time and place to run.

superdave013
06-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Hey alki, what about rescue?? If you eat shit at anywere close to your # you're gonna get hurt really really bad at best.
I'm not tryin to be a buzz kill just pointing out that you should think about doing your test and tun at NJBA races so if you go swimming you have 1/2 a chance of not getting a lake shut down because you killed yourself.
Just some food for thought.
The last guy I said this to had the same goal as you but was in a cat. They ran 149 and change. Everyone was telling him that's bitchen. I told him it sounded like a good way to get killed to me. 2 days later Mr. Pumps HTM got killed.
Another thing that I see here. And I'm NOT downing you or ragging on you at all. At that speed airflow and aerodymanics have to ba a factor. I take it that's why you have the wing. But at least lose the splash sheild. That has to act like a NASCAR spoiler. I hear those guys talking that 1/8" spoiler is a HUGE deal. Have you thought about what affect it will have on your boat?
BTW, my blown injected flat with the butterflys cracked a tad (around .125) was only running about 50 or so with a 37 gear. And the boat would not leave hard if I only opened them that far. It would just roll on plane like a cream puff. But I admit that I didn't have the oats you're going for. My slug was only a 128mph boat.
I'm not buying that your hualling ass and leaving hard with only .125" of butterfly. Hell, Info post vids of his kid behind his boat in the tube with that much throttle.
But the main point of my post it to just please put saftey first. Run it with rescue around. Real rescue, not your budies.
We have not lost a forum member yet this year and I would hate for it to be you. You have any kids man?

cyclone
06-09-2004, 08:42 AM
I have a couple of questions that I'll ask out of good old fashioned honest curiosity. This is in no way intended to be sarcastic or belittling (sp?). What made you decide that 150 mph was a good number for your speed goal if this in fact a lake boat? Is there a record to be broken? Did you have a boat already that went 140 mph and you wanted more? I know that the first time I went 110 mph i decided i wanted more, but jeez man you are on an entirely different level. I hope you reach your goal because that will be a phenominal speed number in a jet, just please dont do it when i'm anywhere nearby in my boat. :)

blownalky557
06-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Superdave,
You bring up some real good points, I do appreciate them. I may or may not lose the splash shield, at worst I may shorten it. I know in the past, I've had quite a bit of back splash, which is the reason why it was added.
If you don't mind, would tell me a little more about your engine so we can compare apples to apples?
Thanks

Jetboatguru
06-09-2004, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blownalky557
[B]JetBoatGuru,
This fact was never in question if my engine holds a candle to a Brad 5, which of course it don't. How can I make an honest comparrison with what Harold Bruce is running without knowing what exactly he has, but this is what you have done. Maybe you can tell me and everyone else on this board what exactly Harold is running so I can compare. Like I said earlier, according to Oddy, my motor is making in upwards of 2000 HP. I understand you have questions, and who wouldn't, I give you answers and you question them as well. Maybe in order for you to understand better the answers that I am giving, I will have to set the appropriate stage. My boat is in no way ready for WOT 1/4 mile passes, the boat has maybe a handful of test and tune sessions on it. Each time I run, more issues come up that have to be corrected. When the boat is dialed in and able to do WOT 1/4 mile passes, I can then post relavent MPH numbers, until then they mean absolutely nothing, do you agree. I hope you don't expect me to run top MPH right off the trailer, by talkng with you and reading your posts, I know you are way smarter than that. How long did it take for you to dial your boat in, what were the people saying that watched your boat run during the initial trial runs, did your boat do what is does now right off the trailer?
Bill,
in answer to your question of how long did it take for the taf to run what it does now, and did it run like that right off the trailer, The answer is YES it did. We made 1 propeller change becuse the the previous propeller was lifting the tail and driving the nose in. If I am not mistaken, the boat that you have was set up to begin with as posted by you and had extensive pump work done by Shoemaker at GS MArine. Is the current setup not right for what you are doing? The Homework is done before you get to the water. Last year Brand new boat out of the mold from Canyon TAF 404 first race runs 6.80's in Marble Falls. Again, homework was done in the garage.
I understand the answers you are giving that is why I am questioning.
My whole point is the same as BPs Until you get it in a controlled environment i.e. the track, you are spinning your wheels on whether or not you are making advances. You are already changing your engine program and you have yet to make anything more than a blip of the gas at the lake.
Are you running a waterman pump? If not, what kind of pump are you running?

Beal Motorsports
06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
I believe that a waterman system is over kill unless you are running a Brad or an Alan Johnson.
990 is plenty for 2000 hp.

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 10:05 AM
I've said my piece on Safety, so I won't comment futher on that.
On the Technical side of things ... I do agree with superdave013 that you should loose the splash guard as you go up in mph as it will work as a spoiler ... That And The Wing might not go together too well.
About the wing, a Flattie Wing ... Not too sure about that. I've thought about one for our boat given it's not a true picklefork tunnel and has flattie/hydro aspects, but, have decided that a full wing such as yours installed in the flattie position would put too much down force on the rear of the boat and make it more likely to Fly ... I am toying with the idea of doing something else with much smaller devices down the road ...
To sum it up, a wing on a true air entrapment tunnel hull makes me very nervous because of the additional down force at high speed and the tendency of tunnels bows liking to raise ... not a good combo and, as all Flattie Boys will tell you, the faster you go the more critical the angle becomes.
Another thing to consider is the presence of the wing and its effect/interaction on/with the dropped keel (I assume it has one as you said the boat was run as a fueler) and how it, the wing, changes how the keel works at higher speed (changes how it was originally designed to function) ... Not saying it won't work, just that the whole thing should be thought through thoroughly before going Balls To The Wall WOT.

Jetboatguru
06-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Bill what is the wing set at in degrees? And what did you use to set the wing angle (what did you use as a reference point to set the angle) I believe the Blown gas or Alcohol wing like the one you have has 2 degrees built into it. When measuring the angle you have to put a flat piece on top of the wing from the element to the top of the bill and measure angle from there.

Petrofied
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Bill what is the wing set at in degrees? And what did you use to set the wing angle (what did you use as a reference point to set the angle) I believe the Blown gas or Alcohol wing like the one you have has 2 degrees built into it. When measuring the angle you have to put a flat piece on top of the wing from the element to the top of the bill and measure angle from there. I always thought they were measured on the cord line, Side panels removed. Then pull your line leading edge tip to trailing edge tip......Or NO? :confused:

blownalky557
06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Tony,
Currently the Olson wing is set at 7 degrees down angle using the bottom of the boat as a reference point while using the way you posted to check the angle on the wing. The boat's riding attitude is between 2 and 3 degrees which then makes the running wing angle approximately 4 degrees to the water surface. Brian Olson told me that would be a good place to start and adjust from there but not to go below 2 degrees running. This is similar to the setup run by Going Places II, which also was not a true pickle fork tunnel.
I am using an Enderle 990 pump for the fuel system, which has really worked well so far. I just recently had it checked by Enderle to confirm the flow numbers.
Also the pump work was done by Walt's Hot boat Service in Modesto, a previous owner of the boat had the bottom work done at GS Marine.
As you know there are many adjustments to be made on a jet, maybe BP or Jak can add something else here pertaining to their initial test and tune duration.

cal***boat
06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
:confused: :rolleyes::confused: No Comment

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 01:32 PM
To date we have attended six (6) races and made a total of 52 passes and are getting close to having the boat dialed in ... We Hope. I might add that the seven (7) latest passes we've made were essentially a restart of our dial in due to our having blown up our pump suction piece and having to replace it ... we also changed the keel at the same time. While I won't go into the specifics of what has taken us so long to get where we are other than to say we've had a very long and, at times, frustrating learning Experience, I will say that the Knowledge we've obtained about What Works & What Doesn't with our setup (we now make no changes to the boat unless we have thoroughly thought them through and fully understand their consequences) has been very much worth the time, effort and money it has taken ... Especially in terms of our plans for the boat in the future.
I'll also point out that while dialing in the boat, we've also been instituting procedures and building a crew with the proper mind set and skills to properly support the boat and our racing program ... something which by itself takes time.
I personally believe that with a totally new boat (especially when you have a one-of-a-kind, never-been-done-before setup) and crew, a Slow, Thoughtfully Understood and Piecewise Continuous T&T Dial In is The Only Way To Go.

Beal Motorsports
06-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Bear I totally agree. I also had some issues. I bought a capsule top fuel jet and decided to pull the capsule out of it. I was told that 1500 hp would push the boat into the 8.00's just the way it sat. Well after working with the wedge and grenading a nicely built blown alky 468 I found out it takes a bit more power and a a different setup with out the capsule to run the Placecraft. It took 5 races to get the boat leaving and running hard since it did not like the same setup as our previously owned texas tunnel. Now I believe all the hardwork has paid off and I believe I have one of the safest jet boats to run in the 8.00s. I will be finishing the season in the 9s for points reasons, unless I am out of contention.
From personnal experience, test at the track. I wrecked a texas tunnel @ 119 and rescue was on me in a second............. Everything ended up ok but not sure what could have transpired if it had happened at the lake!

gunslinger
06-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Not to change the subject, but what caused the texas to crash?

cyclone
06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
what's the deal? is my boat not fast enough to warrant a response?:D

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
what's the deal? is my boat not fast enough to warrant a response?:D
Where exactly in this thread did you ask a question about your boat? What was it, I can't find it.

cyclone
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
I have a couple of questions that I'll ask out of good old fashioned honest curiosity. This is in no way intended to be sarcastic or belittling (sp?). What made you decide that 150 mph was a good number for your speed goal if this in fact a lake boat? Is there a record to be broken? Did you have a boat already that went 140 mph and you wanted more? I know that the first time I went 110 mph i decided i wanted more, but jeez man you are on an entirely different level. I hope you reach your goal because that will be a phenominal speed number in a jet, just please dont do it when i'm anywhere nearby in my boat. :)
My question wasnt' about my boat, it was about the 150 mph boat.

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Beal -
The removal of a capsule from any boat, just the same as adding one :rolleyes:, will change the weights & balances drastically as I'm sure you know ... and have experienced.
After we get this "Puppy" up and running safely and consistently I'm considering a lightweight (150 #'s, fully rigged & SFI'd) capsule ... Maybe this hull, Maybe Not ... Depends on Data yet to be Acquired and Calc's (already done).
Our current boat is really the beginning test bed for what we imagine we might be able to do ... If we progress Rationally.

blownalky557
06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Cyclone,
Not to overlook your question, but the goal was set at 150 MPH in a blown alcohol non-capsule jet because that seemed to be the barrier to break. Reading some of the comments on this thread has only solidified the objective of breaking that set goal, my resolve is only strengthened by detraction.

cyclone
06-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by blownalky557
Cyclone,
Not to overlook your question, but the goal was set at 150 MPH in a blown alcohol non-capsule jet because that seemed to be the barrier to break. Reading some of the comments on this thread has only solidified the objective of breaking that set goal, my resolve is only strengthened by detraction.
no detraction here- i just wondered if 150mph in a non-capsuled boat would be setting some sort of a record or not? i take it it's not been done before for safety reasons?

Checkmate
06-09-2004, 06:41 PM
I am curious as to why certain people on here are so negative about this whole thing? I fully understand the concerns and the dangers involved, but why not offer advise and good luck. Trashing him and questioning his abilities will only make him want this even more to prove a point.
I hope he does reach his goal, and I hope he does it safely. We all set goals and try to accomplish them. Some just set really high goals, but at least he isnot dropping a huge engine in a POS and putting the floor to the wood first run out.
To end my long post I will just say this...
Good Luck BlownAlky, and I hope it all turns out well.:cool:

bp
06-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Checkmate
I am curious as to why certain people on here are so negative about this whole thing? I fully understand the concerns and the dangers involved, but why not offer advise and good luck. Trashing him and questioning his abilities will only make him want this even more to prove a point.
I hope he does reach his goal, and I hope he does it safely. We all set goals and try to accomplish them. Some just set really high goals, but at least he isnot dropping a huge engine in a POS and putting the floor to the wood first run out.
checkmate, no one is being "negative about this whole thing", as you imply. whatever the goal is is only important to one person. hell, we all have goals. jbg has accomplished a helluva lot, and certainly is not putting down anyone else accomplishing what they are after.
but, when bill makes a comment that this is a "lake rocket", it raises concerns among some of us that have watched people die, or come close to it, at speeds significantly less than what he is aiming for. perhaps you haven't been there, but some of us have, and this sport/activity doesn't need any more of it.. hopefully, you can understand why some of us that have been there are speaking up about it, and trying to convince bill that the best place to do these things is on the track, whether it's 1/16 passes, 1/8 mile passes, or whatever it is safely capable of. having a cheerleader hanging around saying "yeah go for it dude" isn't really helpful (not that you fit that description).
bill, in answer to your question, the first time i started my current engine with the boat in the water was on the rope. i had the same setup as i had with the previous engine, went about 1/16, and that was enough. made some changes, went back out. made it past the 1/8, backed out. there were some very experienced and knowledgeable people watching the attitude and ride. i can say i was feeling things i'd never felt in a boat before. more changes, third pass i made it 3/4 before backing away. people i trust said it was looking good, no problems, stay in it. 4th pass was all the way through, and i felt more brand new sensations, but felt ok about it. since then, i've made well over 220 passes with this combo, learning something on every pass.
i am in no way trying to imply that you will/should/could possible advance to the point of full passes in 4, 8, or 20 passes. but, as i've said many times on the boards, and to you in person, the only way to advance the program is on the track. 1/8 mile et, which we have at ming, is a very good measurement of where you really are with respect to performance. plus, there are some very knowledgeable people that will tell you if there are safety issues with the ride. i would certainly NOT want to see full passes with this boat, no matter how many times you take it to modesto, the first time in the water. jbg's deal was a whole lot different than what you are doing, and i wouldn't even begin to try to compare the two. i agree with what he is saying in concept, but jets are a bit different, and new setups need to take small steps forward. in this case, with the kind of power you're talking about, the steps should be on a controlled closed course.

Beal Motorsports
06-10-2004, 05:01 AM
texas tunnel's have a history of turning. I Blew a motor going through the lights. It was a super light layup 275 lb hull. Plus on a texas tunnel the center keel so to speak is not is low as the outer sponsons in the front. So when the I blew the motor the nose came down hard and the right sponson dug in thus spun it to the right throwing me through the side of the hull.

ChetCapoli
06-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Checkmate
I am curious as to why certain people on here are so negative about this whole thing?
You really want to know why checkmate??? It's because someone other than the donut club or the support group is running that boat that's why. Do you think there would actually be criticism othewise??? OF COURSE NOT!! Just a bunch of "ooo's" and "ahhh's" and "many thanks to kneeling to the master" is what there would be!! I think blownalky is doing a GREAT THING here and getting everyones undies in an uproar doing it! He's keeping his cool and doing it slowly and above all he's not afraid to take it ANYWHERE to test! He has a good place to do it so what's wrong with that??? Enough of this "on the rope" BS! When it's time, i'm sure he'll be there and make his own spanking party! You people got balls boy.....
I"ve been reading this guy for a while and everyone starts shit with him.....WHY??? OBVIOUSLY he knows what he's doing. If memory serves, walt was nice enough to give a detailed explaination about the Enderle fuel system and how to set it up. I dont see anyone else doing that..it's always..hush..hush...see it at "the track". F$^#% THE TRACK!! Ol "drive safely" jak and his "mamba" outa take notes from this guy cuz his ride is the biggest soap opera in jet land with the time invested in it and he knows it! Yet he feels the need to call me a "character"..better look in the mirror pal. Slowy your another one....GET OFF THIS GUYS THREAD as you say right??? Your chasing him away!! :mad: Cyclone...big difference in your baby motor and that thing ringing in your ear so take a step back for a few will ya. It's out of your league. Dont get me wrong your runnin good!
Ditto DITTO DITTO on keeping up the good work blownalky. Get yourself set to go cheerleader spanking soon and shut these guys up!

ChetCapoli
06-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
"maybe LV Jetboy using his database or Jet Performance Calculator can post some information."
You mentioned Going Places had an A cut @ over 8500 but what mfg?
My last thought is your stated application. To me, adding more power from where you're at makes sense for racing or setting records on the track, but a lake jet? I'm sorry but I can't see that. If so you're WAY, WAY crazier than me. :D
With all your cheerleading jer....you have to ask that first question???
Why not a lake jet jer?? Problem listening to the tunes or something??? He just might have less money invested in it than you do! LMAO!! Doesn't appear he's adding more power....just a better rod/stoke combo for a more reliable and balanced lower end. Another well thought out plan of attack. This guy is good...real good.
CHET

flat broke
06-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
You really want to know why checkmate??? It's because someone other than the donut club or the support group is running that boat that's why. Do you think there would actually be criticism othewise??? OF COURSE NOT!! Just a bunch of "ooo's" and "ahhh's" and "many thanks to kneeling to the master" is what there would be!! I think blownalky is doing a GREAT THING here and getting everyones undies in an uproar doing it! He's keeping his cool and doing it slowly and above all he's not afraid to take it ANYWHERE to test! He has a good place to do it so what's wrong with that??? Enough of this "on the rope" BS! When it's time, i'm sure he'll be there and make his own spanking party! You people got balls boy.....
I"ve been reading this guy for a while and everyone starts shit with him.....WHY??? OBVIOUSLY he knows what he's doing. If memory serves, walt was nice enough to give a detailed explaination about the Enderle fuel system and how to set it up. I dont see anyone else doing that..it's always..hush..hush...see it at "the track". F$^#% THE TRACK!! Ol "drive safely" jak and his "mamba" outa take notes from this guy cuz his ride is the biggest soap opera in jet land with the time invested in it and he knows it! Yet he feels the need to call me a "character"..better look in the mirror pal. Slowy your another one....GET OFF THIS GUYS THREAD as you say right??? Your chasing him away!! :mad: Cyclone...big difference in your baby motor and that thing ringing in your ear so take a step back for a few will ya. It's out of your league. Dont get me wrong your runnin good!
Ditto DITTO DITTO on keeping up the good work blownalky. Get yourself set to go cheerleader spanking soon and shut these guys up!
Chet, I'll take your bait...
First of all, the donut club (your much maligned MPD and DNE customers) have plenty of boats with poven numbers to look up to if that's what we needed. Above and beyond that, I think most people that happen to be going to Jack or Dave just like fast boats. I can't count the times I've been over there dropping something off, checking on my motor, etc. that there is a new boat in there and complete strangers are giving each other compliments because they appreciate nice setups. So if Blown Alky hits 150 I can bet most guys that you consider to be "donut club" members would congradulate him on his acheivement. It is the experience of people like BP that actually run solid programs that compete all season, that know far better than I what kind of dedication it takes to pull off a buck fifty run. With that knowledge, these people would no doubt respect such an acheivement.
It is that same respect for the gravity of his undertaking that is compelling them to give the information they are giving about testing at the track. Some of these guys have lost close friends and fellow racers in conditions better than your going to find on a lake, at speeds lower than what Blown Alky is looking to acheive. The lake would be the worst possible place I can think of to test this ride as we've all experienced that myster roller come out of nowhere in the middle of a pass. It doesn't affect me in my slow daycruiser, but its impact on a lightweight 18' boat running 100-110 could be devastating. Now think of that scenario at 130, 140, and 150mph. If by chance something did happen (and I hope to god we never hear about anything happening) at the lake and by some miracle he wasn't killed immediately, his odds of survival without a trained rescue and paramedic team on site are significantly lower than if said resources were there in a controled environment where they could access the victim quickily and have the proper apparatus to stabilize him at the scene and get him to a trauma center.
Sure if he needs to check for leaks, do basic tune up type things, the lake may work for that, but for laying down passes in a boat like that, it would be russian roulette no matter where you run. Why not do it where you have the best chance of survival when/if the accident does happen.
This has nothing to do with "donut club" guys trying to keep him down, and everything to do with them trying to keep him alive.
Chris

Jet Hydro
06-10-2004, 07:43 AM
You know Chet you have a problem reading things in to things that aren't there.
All I said is the 8000rpm and the .500 don't ad up.That boat should have been in the 120 to 135mph range. It`s my feeling from making a few call`s and reading what Bill types that he`s had some handling problems. From what I`v been told he`s lucky if it`s even seen 100mph yet?
Chet I have allot of interest in what he`s doing because of my next project. I don't comment much because unlike you I read what is said and step back so I might be able to understand. Contraire to your belief I am the only one that works on my boat, so I must learn as much as I can from who ever I can.
I do all the Motor work, Pump Work and Set-up`s. I am even the one that did ALL the Bottom work. Unlike you I didn't need a babysitter to hold my hand.
Tell you know something, leave me out of your petty Bull Shit.

Cas
06-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Chris and others,
Not that I don't agree with most of your thoughts but I'm reading about many people running 90+ at the river. Is it that much safer or is it a we can do it but you better not? I've also seen pictures of guys running those speeds without any protection.
Modesto Res is not your normal lake. It's small and during the week when Bill does most of his running, there is very few other boats out there, if any.

cyclone
06-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Chet- you're the last guy that should be giving anyone advice. And cheerleading for a guy with a potentially dangerous "lake boat" just because you dont like others on this board is pretty dumb.
Cas- Chris makes a valid point. Even if there are very few boats on Modesto, that's still too many if this guy is trying to lay down passes in a "150 mph" boat. There's a reason that there arent other boats at the other end of the lake when race boats are making passes-safety. I think the good advice that folks here are giving out shouldn't be discounted just because of some petty bs between forum members. But hey, if this guy would rather run his boat without a rescue crew that's his decision.

Cas
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
cyclone,
As I said, it's not that I don't agree with much that was said. I haven't met Bill personally but I've talked with someone very close to his project and what he's doing. I know he's not going out to a lake and throwing caution to the wind.
As I said, reading posts and seeing pictures of people "bragging" they went 100+ at the river is just as bad, if not worse as most of them were on a weekend. It's a 2 way street here yet I don't see others (very often) raggin on them. If I remember correctly, you're guilty of the above as well.
bp, Bear and JBG have very valid points as they have quite a bit of experience to speak from on the safety issue. Again, I believe Bill is going about this with many issues in mind and he's speaking with many people that have been there and done it.

flat broke
06-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Cas
Chris and others,
Not that I don't agree with most of your thoughts but I'm reading about many people running 90+ at the river. Is it that much safer or is it a we can do it but you better not? I've also seen pictures of guys running those speeds without any protection.
Modesto Res is not your normal lake. It's small and during the week when Bill does most of his running, there is very few other boats out there, if any.
Cas,
Definitely not a case of "we can do it, but you can't". Ask Hacker how bad I jumped on his shit when he oppened the boat up with 3 passengers in what I felt were less than optimum conditions/location at the 1st FC (and his boat only ran 89 without passengers).
You won't catch any argument from me that those guys might want to think about wearing their safety gear be it a 90mph pass or a 150mph one. That being said, there is a huge difference between runing in the hight 90s and anything over 110, let alone 150. I want everyone on here to be safe, but since this thread was specifically about BlownAlky's endeavor (which I think is cool BTW) thats what I was speaking in relation to. I mainly wanted to argue the fact that BP, Bear, et al. are legitimately concerned with his safety, not trying to hold him back from his goal.
Chris

cyclone
06-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Cas
cyclone,
As I said, it's not that I don't agree with much that was said. I haven't met Bill personally but I've talked with someone very close to his project and what he's doing. I know he's not going out to a lake and throwing caution to the wind.
As I said, reading posts and seeing pictures of people "bragging" they went 100+ at the river is just as bad, if not worse as most of them were on a weekend. It's a 2 way street here yet I don't see others (very often) raggin on them. If I remember correctly, you're guilty of the above as well.
bp, Bear and JBG have very valid points as they have quite a bit of experience to speak from on the safety issue. Again, I believe Bill is going about this with many issues in mind and he's speaking with many people that have been there and done it.
cas- the point is that no one is dissing this guy for trying to go 150 mph. people are just telling him to reach his goal at the track, under controlled conditions, with a rescue crew on site. No one wants to see this guy do it at a lake or river, with "very few boats around." It's simply not safe, no matter how careful he tries to be.
And if you think i brag about running 110mph at the river with othe boats around then you are mistaken. I put on my vest and usually my helmet when I want to drive fast. I kick my girlfriend out of the boat along with the cooler and drive downriver, away from other boats. When i first put my boat together with the blower motor this year, I did my testing at 6am when there wasn't ANY boats in the vicinity. god knows i dont want to be responsible for an accident involving anyone other than myself.
Again, no one is talking down on this guy, I think people just want him to be as safe as can be. I dont doubt his boat's performance because i'm no expert and dont know him or his boat.

superdave013
06-10-2004, 10:50 AM
bottom line is going to the track takes alot of "what if's" out of the equation.
No what if a jet ski pulls out
No what if there is a roller you don't see (cause lots of people are looking for it there)
No what if ..... it keeps going.
It seems like the only ones who are worried about his (and everyone else at the lake) safety are people who race or have raced in the past. Racing changes your out look on thing. Case in point, Cyclone has a little different tune now that he's stepped his boat up and raced it. He also go to see a crash right as he was getting launched. And that always wierds ya out a bit.

schiada96
06-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Bottom line is Chet is a fag who dosent know how to go fast and safe. Dave rember you and I giving a lot of static to a guy abot 150 the night before.

superdave013
06-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by schiada96
Bottom line is Chet is a fag who dosent know how to go fast and safe. Dave rember you and I giving a lot of static to a guy abot 150 the night before.
Yes I do. I've brought that up a few times. Even had some of the threads quoted in the paper!
If he was building a blown gas deal it would be one thing. This blown alki deal is gonna be an animal for sure. BlownAlki557 must have a set of balls that clank!

cyclone
06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
bottom line is going to the track takes alot of "what if's" out of the equation.
No what if a jet ski pulls out
No what if there is a roller you don't see (cause lots of people are looking for it there)
No what if ..... it keeps going.
It seems like the only ones who are worried about his (and everyone else at the lake) safety are people who race or have raced in the past. Racing changes your out look on thing. Case in point, Cyclone has a little different tune now that he's stepped his boat up and raced it. He also go to see a crash right as he was getting launched. And that always wierds ya out a bit.
exactly. i got a whole new point of view on racing the boat after seeing someone crash in the good water at Ming as I waited for my turn on the rope.

LVjetboy
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
LVjetboy, "You mentioned Going Places had an A cut @ over 8500 but what mfg?"
Chet, "With all your cheerleading jer....you have to ask that first question???
No cheerleading just an honest question to BlownAlky since he talked to Frank about the setup. On why not a 150 mph lake jet? Others have since answered that quite well I believe. Personally, I think 100 mph is a bit crazy for a lake jet. But that's just me.
Not to detract from Alky's goal or passion to reach it. Just posting my thoughts as usual.
jer

Old Dog
06-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Well you young whipersnappers know alot about safety and racing now, but where were you in 1970? That is when hydros went 170-180 and a good jet could go in the 140's to 150's on fuel. And all of it was done without these capsules. They save lives for those going over the 180 barrier, hands down.
Now, I have been watching this thread and it has been on all the boards, and I don't see anything wrong with the way this guy is going about his program. He has stated so many times I can't even count as to the safety issues you all have so rightly brought up. But here is where we will part ways. We used to have to test and tune our old boats at the river or go to some mudhole and hope we didn't hit anything while running at WOT. We all had some scary moments, but that was a regular part of the program, back in the 60's and 70's. You had to get water anywhere you could get it. Now this guru guy is telling us that his boat ran 170 off the trailer because the work was done in the garage. Well you must be the luckiest or dumbest guy to run WOT off the trailer without any test runs to see if any setup problems arose. And you are calling Bill unsafe? WTF??? Flats have been around and run by so many it has almost become a cookie cutter boat to setup from what I am hearing you state. I know things change, but not that much. We had a flat back in 71' that would run perfectly to 3/4 track and then jump about 10 feet straight up in the air and then come down and complete the run. We worked on that hull for over a year before we threw it away because we could not find one wrong thing with that hull! But it would still jump out of the water at 3/4 track. So even if you were lucky to make a safe run off the trailer, I am here to say that you may run into this problem someday and you will come back with the stinky stuff in your pants too! But the biggest thing/problem with this whole thread is the "you shouldn't do that cause it ain't safe" coming from so many people. You guys maybe the reason Bill forgets a small change or something that does get him into trouble, and it was caused by all of you guys saying it can't be done or whatever the reason. We all ran without capsules in those days and we did lose a few friends. But nobody ever said boat racing was a safe hobby/sport! The speed he wants to run is nothing compared to what guys are running these days, so why all the doom? As long as he has a good helmet, jacket, shorts&suit, and a few chase boats, the lake is no more unsafe than an NJBA race with the ducks on the track! Or even running in a 20 mph headwind! Which I have seen numerous times over 30+ years! We would DNF if they wanted us to run into the wind, especially if it was blowing 20 mph! Now you guys will probably say we were chicken, but I am here today and that was no small feat! I think you have beat the safety thing to death, and I am probably the safest person due to all of my past experiences, and now some are throwing gas on the fire for Bill to go out and do it just to shut all of the posters and their opinions up!
So we better shut up or just wish him well, or it could be on your head if he gets hurt because someone thinks he knows more than a seasoned vet that is watching on this boat project. I applaud Bill for his patience, because I would have had any of you on the rope with alot of money on the table waiting for the loser of the next race! And we did have our donut club groups in my day too, so some things never change!
Stick to your slow step program Bill, and I will watch your progress and let you know if you are getting into any trouble areas. Nothing ever changes unless some dummy tries it, so just keep your head on straight and do NOT get in any hurries, and you will succeed in your attack. You wouldn't even get into the boat if you didn't weigh all the possible trouble it could lead to, so don't let these wooden men tell you it can't be done. I am so old I remember when ships were made out of wood and men were made out of steel, but that has flopped now, the men are made of wood and the boats are Kevlar, go figure! Surround yourself with good people and those who have been there and leave the rest to watch. They will see it someday, and so will you.
Old Dog

LVjetboy
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
"You guys maybe the reason Bill forgets a small change or something that does get him into trouble, and it was caused by all of you guys saying it can't be done or whatever the reason."
Oh come on now. I'm not seeing a lot of guys saying it can't be done, in fact I think many want to see just what can be done. Sure we could all just post, "Good luck Bill hope all goes well" and leave it at that. But then where's the free exchange of ideas (right or wrong) and opinions? Anyway, I doubt beating the safety issue to death will change Bill's program.
As for doom and gloom, I think that's a bit overstated too. To me it was guys with race and lake experience talking about speed and safety...something worth posting with "lake" jets going faster than "race" jets of old. In fact my young whippersnapper comments only come from very limited experience driving lake jets (20 years...mostly well below 80 mph) so Bill should know they don't mean sh*t.
Oh ya and in 1970 I was only in high school, so yes I guess I am a whippersnapper :)
jer

Beal Motorsports
06-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Other than a race boat, the only thing I have owned is a 45 mph bass boat. But I have had some eye openers running over 130 in a jet and over 160 in a promod.
I am running a comparable setup with my 2000+ hp placecraft and I know what mine is capable of. This is why I stressed my concerns. But, no matter what, if I was closer I would be there to watch!
oh yeah.....I was not even born in 1970. ha!

Squirtcha?
06-10-2004, 02:57 PM
oh yeah.....I was not even born in 1970. ha!
I'm feelin old...................how's about you jer?

squirt
06-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
I'm feelin old...................how's about you jer?
Old hell...........I'm fart'n dust:confused:

UBFJ #454
06-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Quote Old Dog:
"Well you young whipersnappers know alot about safety and racing now, but where were you in 1970?"
Answer:
In 1970 I was in SEA Doing: "What Ever ... Where Ever ... Any Time ..... Professionally"..... Kinda helped me sort out things such as Safety.
Question of "Old Dog":
And in 1970, Where Were You?

BigBlockBaja
06-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
Question of "Old Dog":
And in 1970, Where Were You?
Hehe, dunno.. was born in 1975

bp
06-10-2004, 08:25 PM
in 1970 i was in some far away asian country that i don't think much about anymore.
cas, yeah; there's a significant difference between 90 and 135+ in a jet. there's a real big difference between 90 and 105.
old dog, yeah, jbg ran some extremely impressive numbers first run off the trailer with that canyon TAF, started off the season this year by winning the ihba opener at firebird. you can call it whatever you want to, but he IS one of the big dogs, and has been one for many years. he held PGF records in excess of 150 many many years ago.
as much as has been discussed here, i think some people missed the point to jbg's original questionning. just a thought, but wording it a little differently.... what kind of setup does it take to make an open jet go 150? repeatable? it's not questionning when bill will do it, but asking how a combination is determined, that will achieve that speed... i'm sure that in flatland, there are any number of people that could respond to something like that. in jetland, there haven't been that many 150mph boats, so the question...

Jetboatguru
06-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Quality post from the Old Fart.
I will throw in my bottom line here. The amounts of Knowledge that has contributed to this thread is countless. BP, Bear, Beal, SuperDave etc have all been there.
If you ding dongs think for one second that the open lake is as safe as a controlled race track you are on glue!!!
It just means you are afraid to see what it is actually not running for numbers.
Does anyone remember Mike Bauman?
How about the persian guy that bought the old "Wing N it"
How about Dale Anderson?
Do we all know what these guys have in common? They were all killed in Jetboats at a sanctioned race. I am not dissing jetboats just using them for the sake of this discussion. Dale probably going the fastest of them but nowhere near 150. Mike bauman driving Electric Blue a Placecraft jet killed at 110mph. I forgot the persian kids name but he was killed going 115mph.
Has anyone ever encountered the mystery roller at the lake or river?
So lets play Devils Advocate. Bill hits 150mph and the boat blows over backwards. Fear not, Jethro is on his way out in a jetboat to retrieve him. Wait Where is Bill I don't see him. Oh he is stuck in the boat. I'll jump in and free him. Wait, why is ankle wrapped around his neck?
Nobody likes to think of these things or talk about them but the bottom line is can and does happen.
Bill I wish you luck in your pursuit of 150. Just please, do so at the track;) :wink:

Bense468
06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
makes a lot of sense. If you have it why not use it. 250 or whatever it is to dial her in and get a few setup runs. Look at the money you dropped in that motor. Whats another 2 grand to drop it in at bakersfield to get it setup right. Even if it takes all year.. in the end, you will have now been familiar with the lights, the rope, the whole program. Might even have met some good people to help you out along the way. So when its time to drop the hammer... this is not all new to you. But then again...what do I know.
Either way Blownalky. Good luck with that boat. It sure is a stout piece for a "lake boat"

Jet Hydro
06-10-2004, 10:32 PM
I find it strange that Bill is testing but doesn't record any numbers?
I have numbers recorded from the first 65mph pass my boat ran when we started the project.
I said wow 65..lol.. not to good for a starting point but we had to start somewhere. 13.566 et on the first race at 72mph.."wow" not to good but it was some numbers to work from. next year 84mph 11.900 et`s third year (this year) 92.5 11.05et off the trailer first pass of the season after doing some 88 mph testing at a lake. Drooping the shoe below the keel this next race, I wont do "any" lake testing at all, I want someone to be there to come get me if it goes wrong and I want that someone to know how to get me and take care of me unlike my friends that go lake testing with me. Bill I have balls of still, anyone that has seen my boat tell`s me that I`m nuts even (Jetboatguru has said this a few times) but as nut`s as I am I want to make it as safe as I can for myself. Do as Tony and others have said, test at the track. You`ll have a better chance of testing another day if you do.
If you look around you`ll find a picture of my boat in flight at 1/2 track going only 85 mph. Could have been an ugly landing. The spotters & rescue on the track were on the move before it even landed back on the water. Makes a guy feel better knowing there are people on the look out. Just think I was only running "85mph" !!!!!!!!!!
Good luck and play it safe!:wink:

Cs19
06-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Guru, thats a little graphic. Good points though.
I like olddogs post, it brings up alot of good points as well. You cant go wrong getting advice from guys who have been around...I may be wrong, but is he saying Bill may go do things that he would not normally do cause he was influenced by the guys posting on he internet? If thats the case, he should not be in a boat like that, you need to have your head on straight and not be influenced by anyone or listen to anyone, do what you feel is safe.Theres always gonna be a few guys drinkin' beer that know it all and tell you to go for it, those guys are not crew chiefs, they just want entertainment.Ignore them.
My boat is no where near as fast as you guys but I cant tell you how many people had HUGE expectations of me when I brought my boat out for the first time. I must have heard "here you can borrow my gps" or "go race that guy" 15 times that weekend .The bottomline is, you cannot listen to those guys or let them get in your head,same goes for this place,stay with your own program, otherwise your asking for it. Good Luck Alky.

Jetboatguru
06-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Chris,
I realize it is graphic. But I have seen people crash at the river or flip their boats at the river. We had a mishap a few years back at the river with a hopped up race Flatty that pitched the driver out going about 60. The rescue boat was another flattie heading out to the scene. Had the driver been injured, we would have been in deep trouble extricating him. IMO 1/8th mile testing and testing on lakes is beneficial. But what we are talking about testing here transcends the lake. Again, I wish Bill good fortune and hope to see him at the track someday.

Petrofied
06-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Just for the record, I was in a head on boat crash @ Yuma Memorial weekend as a passenger in a friends boat. Shit Happens and Happens quick! I have an all new respect for my own boats. I don't know how to transfer the info to this thread but the event is told by Flathead on the Petrofied, Moneysucker,Quackattack thread. (page 23) 50MPH. I have a broken hip, Internal damage, as the boat that crashed with us drove through my seat crushing me! :( I know I became real comfortable in my Drag tunnel at 112MPH. / 112MPH almost seemed slow. Now I'm scared and scared of what the other guy is gonna do! Well be safe all and remember I didn't think I could die @ 50MPH But I almost did!!! Now it's lay around Try to piss and hope to heal by the end of the season. Good Luck All,
Mr & Mrs P.

LVjetboy
06-11-2004, 03:00 AM
"My boat is no where near as fast as you guys but I cant tell you how many people had HUGE expectations of me when I brought my boat out for the first time. I must have heard "here you can borrow my gps" or "go race that guy" 15 times that weekend. The bottomline is, don't listen to those guys or let them get in your head,same goes for this place..."
"50MPH. I have a broken hip, Internal damage, as the boat that crashed with us drove through my seat crushing me!"
Good points Cs19 and Petrofied. Why I questioned 150 or even 100 mph in a "LAKE" jet not a "RACE" jet and so I posted to Bill and Old Dog.
One thing I agree with Old Dogs post..."nobody ever said boat racing was a safe hobby/sport!"
True enough. We have a passion that implies risk no matter the safety precautions. And as speed goes up, safety becomes somewhat relative? Does that mean now days wooden men instead of steel? Maybe, depending on who you ask. What's the rotate speed for a 172...60 mph? I can't remember.
But I'm not sure I understand your post JetBoat Guru.
One the one hand you say, "Quality post from the Old Fart." which I take to mean you agree with OldDogs post? Then you follow up by saying, "If you ding dongs think for one second that the open lake is as safe as a controlled race track you are on glue!!! Which seems to contradict the gist of OldDog's post. To me he implied those who were questioning safety and Bill's mission were out to lunch because a pro was monitoring and he had things under control and, "the lake is no more unsafe than an NJBA race with the ducks on the track!"
How do you translate this into a quality post in your opinion or your ding dong comment I'm curious. JBG are you saying you agree with OldDog? And, who are those "ding dongs" you mention in this thread who being on glue thought the open lake was as safe as a controlled race track? Just curious...
I'm sure I misread your comments as usual. Everyone reads posts in a different light, except Chet who reads with no light. j/k Chet, we're alias's remember? :D
jer

Petrofied
06-11-2004, 04:31 AM
One thing about it, At the track you have safety and rescue services. I know about the ducks..... They get sucked up and WA-LA overcharge slammin the nose down. (They dont fit through the nozzle. Ming 1996 UBFJ. :eek: When we crashed a week and a 1/2 ago, I had to save my own fat ass. I weigh 330lbs. The boat I was on was sinking. I had no choice but to ditch broken hip or not. WHAT IF.... My head got it and I went lights out? DEAD!!!!
I was in so much pain.:( I saw medical help 3 hrs after the crash. Thats a long time ...... A couple of years ago I watched a flattie run over people on the sand bar- The guy had a severed shoulder bled out before help could arrive. I told my wife, That will never happen to me! Now look at me. All I'm saying is be smart, Suit up and have a plan. Anything can / and will happen. When the crash happend I wished I was at the track with the EMT's. Trust me it's hard to swim with a broken hip. Plus the track let's ya keep track of how changes affect the boat. I have made changes and thought I was haul'in ass but in reality lost 10mph and a sec. on E.T. Our kind of boats are a lost breed no one wants Petrofied on their lake. Four of us were rolled up by the 5-0 3 weeks ago. Cops said happy to see us leave It's all about fish and quiet he said. People want to be one with nature and a blown injected drag tunnel f u c k s that up. I'll Die with my headers on and the mist and carbon in my face but I will narrow the odds to my favor. Thanks for listening, Just a few thoughts. Good Night All And be safe as ya can. :sleeping:
MR.P.

bp
06-11-2004, 05:34 AM
jer, i think jbg was being a little facetious. reflect on what jbg is saying, what cs said in his post, and also reflect to what petrofied shared. it's just more food for thought, somewhat contrary to what the other post is promoting.

Jetboatguru
06-11-2004, 08:47 AM
BP,
I think you have me pegged. I was being highly facetious.
Jer, The ding Dongs I was referring to are the ones that think the lake is "as safe" as the track.
See ya next Weekend Mr Prigmore

Unchained
06-11-2004, 09:17 AM
After reading about the crashes everyone has seen now I feel even less like running my boat WOT to see what it would top out at.
Maybe i'll just keep it under 100 mph and talk fast.

schiada96
06-11-2004, 11:09 AM
ding dong here
BP,
I think you have me pegged. I was being highly facetious.
Jer, The ding Dongs I was referring to are the ones that think the lake is "as safe" as the track.
See ya next Weekend Mr Prigmore

LVjetboy
06-11-2004, 12:19 PM
JBG, copy the...um...facetious. Bp's word of the day :)
I'm curious about Superdave's comment on splash guards. I know how a spoiler works on cars, but on a boat? Would it really reduce lift or just act like an air brake? I'm thinking the airflow near the transom at 100+ a bit different than an airfoil. Does anyone have data or experience with this?
jer

Jetboatguru
06-11-2004, 12:33 PM
I am not real sure what the splash guard would do or not do to the boat Jer. I do know that Tedesco runs canard wings on his hydro on top of the transom and he says they have a huge effect on the way the boat handles.
Come on Jeff, you I would not consider one of the ding dongs.

bp
06-12-2004, 09:54 AM
i shall be lookin' for ya mr. scarlatta:cool:
funny thing, i was talking to mr. bitchquick for quite awhile last night. he said that he was told by a reliable source that statements have been heard all around modesto that he was AFRAID to run off against blownalky (as in afraid he'd get bitchslapped) at the reservoir, in a short pass. this accusation was apparently started by one of blownalky's associates. needless to say, mr. bitchquick was/is highly agitated :mad: by this bs, and told me to say he would be at his normal location at the reservoir around 8am tomorrow morning, ready to put $500.00 on the table and resolve this matter on the water. his words: "no talkin', just bring cash".
while i am generally against this type of activity on an open waterway, and would much prefer it occur on a closed course, i can understand the agitation. if someone has the nads to put their money where the mouth has been running, perhaps they can accomodate mr. bitchquick? you know who you are!
since mr.bitchquick is computer averse, he does not ever access the forums. consequently, he said "post away". i, being the casually observing neutral party in this matter, am only posting at his bequest. :D :D :D
so, have a nice day, and see ya at the races
:cool:
o, and jbg, when you see mr bitchquick at the races next weekend, make sure to question him as to the source of his fear. i'm sure he'll be more than willing to share:D

blownalky557
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
BP,
Real nice post, I thought you had common sense, but I was obviously mistaken in this case. To think you would get on here and post that garbage is beyond me, especailly referencing my name and my so called associates. Let's get this strait, this project is mine and mine alone. How in the hell am I suppose to control everything that is said at the lake or at the water cooler the next day and be held responsible for someone elses statements especially when it wasn't heard first hand? Contrary to your and whoever elses beliefs, I have my own agenda that is dictated by me alone. To think, by reading your earlier posts you advocate public waterway safety and then make a 180 degree turn and post this garbage to knowingly promote a race on a summer saturday at a public lake is absolutely asinine. Jak, do you have something to say to BP regarding a provocation of lake racing? It is real safe to post "be at the lake and bring cash" when everyone and his brother knows that my boat is apart. Even if my boat was together, I dictate what I do, not you or anyone else. As fas as I am concerend, any previous or future posts written by you regarding safety will be promptly discarded. Sure your friend said pluck away at the keyboard, but you have happily done that without any discretion pertaining to your own so called beliefs while at my expense.
The real story leading up to and on that day at the lake is as follows and I am sure that KZ will concur; KZ posted that he and Mr. Bitchquick were going to do some test and tune at the local lake in Bitchquick prior to the first NJBA race, I asked him if he didn't mind if I brought my boat out that day for him to possibly take a look at and provide some feedback, he responded with sure no problem, then he said if I wanted I could pair off with him that day during a 300' launch just to get an idea of how my boat is coming along, I said sure that would be great, but before this could happen on the day of question KZ got ejected from the boat from which he sustained a leg injury resulting from physically cracking and breaking the right side of Bitchquick. So in summary BP, how could Mr. Bitchquick be affraid to pair off that day when he obviuosly couldn't because of what happened to KZ and his boat.
Maybe next time you can do a little homework before posting and stirring the pot. I would appreciate it if you could convey this post to your computer averse friend.

bp
06-12-2004, 03:53 PM
as i said, i'm only the messenger. i also said the statement was not directly attributed to you, but to one of your associates. i am not the "first party" to any of this.
also as i said, i am not in favor of this. but, that seems to be the only venue it could happen. i AM certain though that someone, perhaps someone that has worked on your boat, made these statements. funny that harold should hear that he's afraid to race you for fear of getting his ass handed to him from someone that was not even near the premisis that day. harold has confirmed that this was spread around.
the way i see it, i've done nothing at your expense. you can get pissed off at me if that makes you feel better, but i certainly didn't start this. kz has nothing to do with this, and neither does jak. since someone in your party is, what boils down to calling harold out on your behalf, and if you didn't say this stuff on your own, you might want to have a talk with some of those people, and either straighten them out, or ??? all i know is, harold isn't too happy about hearing these things for the first time when he walks into shops that partially sponsor him.
whatever you want to do with this information is up to you. at least you know what's been said on your behalf, and how he feels about it.

blownalky557
06-12-2004, 05:52 PM
BP,
First and foremost, just to set the record strait before anymore assumptions are made. I know that KZ and Jak have nothing to do with this situation. In my earlier post I was prompting for Jak's opinion regarding your provocation to have a race on a public lake after your countless documented instances of promoting safety and I also wanted KZ's confirmation on the events that lead up to the day at the lake. Secondly, KZ has my utmost respect for his personal achievements both on and off the track. I am very pleased that he has taken time out his busy schedule to have numerous conversations with me. Lastly, taking in account your good reputation, I am not angry with you, I am only disappointed that you are involved in this "he said she said" finger pointing soap opera not to mention that you say one thing about safety then turn around and advocate another. If Mr. Bitchquick has an axe to grind, maybe you should have some discretion and not allow yourself to be used as the sharpening stone. If his feelings are hurt, maybe he should personally take it up with the individual or individuals directly responsible. Memo to all my supposed associates and fellow Hot Boat board members, please do not say anything ill willed about Mr. Bitchquick as I might be held accountable for your actions.
I have much more to say regarding this issue, but I feel that I should just disconnect myself before I regret it.

Unchained
06-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Doesn't BA557's engine have about a THOUSAND more hp than the bitches' engine.
I expect he would be out front.

LVjetboy
06-13-2004, 12:09 AM
I say if Bitchquick's computer averse...that's his problem, or handicap? Although that's debatable too. He probably gets more done. But then he lacks our brilliant points of view.
:D
jer

bp
06-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by blownalky557
If his feelings are hurt, maybe he should personally take it up with the individual or individuals directly responsible.
I have much more to say regarding this issue, but I feel that I should just disconnect myself before I regret it.
i don't think his feelings were hurt. i do believe he felt he was being dissed by people that ought to know better. he's only been racing for eight years, with multiple championships to show for it. i've said what i was asked to. there's really nothing more to say.

blownalky557
06-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by BP
funny thing, i was talking to mr. bitchquick for quite awhile last night. he said that he was told by a reliable source that statements have been heard all around modesto that he was AFRAID to run off against blownalky (as in afraid he'd get bitchslapped) at the reservoir, in a short pass.
since mr.bitchquick is computer averse, he does not ever access the forums.
Actually BP, there is plenty more to say but I will try to keep it short and politically correct. Looks as if your computer averse friend has been spending a good portion of his time on the phone this past week having conversations pertaining to this thread. Computer averse he may be, but it seems that his comments in one way or another have been a part of this thread all along. Even though he has my phone number, I didn't receive any calls from him. I have talked to Mr. Bitchquick many times over the phone and in person, he has actually taken time to help me in some areas along the way for which I have thanked him for. If he had an issue why didn't he call me direct, he instead allegedly chose this route of public communication without the means to be directly accountable for his statements.

Jetboatguru
06-13-2004, 07:28 AM
The guy I spoke to was Kelly Rhead. He races Ski Flat and lives right there at the lake and his exact words were "that boat makes a lot of noise but it ain't goin anywhere." This is not to diss you Bill, I am just putting a name to the remark. Don't shoot the messenger. Bill if you are not busy this week, come up to CFW for the Fathers Day deal. We will be there from today until next Friday. Lots of fast boats and good people. Come by and say hi.
Tony

blownalky557
06-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Tony,
Thanks for the invite, I am planning on coming up to CFW on Saturday but could possibly drop by sooner. Are you bringing a boat, if so, what should I be looking for since we haven't met in person?

ShowDown
06-13-2004, 10:51 AM
A quick question for you racers responding to this thread. Does the fact that this boat is piloted from the traditional "driver's side" seat and not center seat/steer make this 150mph task more difficult or dangerous? And if the boat loses an engine at speed wouldn't the boat almost always come down on the heavy/driver side or is my thinking wrong here?

Robbie Racer
06-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I just got back from the Cat Attack at Shasta tonight and stumbled across this thread. I can confirm Bill's comments several posts earelier somewhere. I did invite him to come out to the pond awhile back on a day when we were going to be doing a little testing and tuning on the Bitch. I thought it might be a good idea to put his boat and the Bitch side by side for a quick 300' burst just give him a comparison on how his boat left the starting line. Harold's boat leaves pretty good for a 900 hp jet and I thought if Bill's boat was ahead or even at the 300' mark, then he would know that he is on the right track. And if he were behind, then he would know that he would have some work do to. Unfortunately, Murphy stepped in and threw me out of the boat causing a crack in the side of the Bitch, so she (and me) were finished for that day. I haven't talked to Harold in two or three weeks, so I don't know anything about his $500 challenge. My personal opinion is that sort of challenge should be best left to the race track because sometimes the testerone gets to flowing on a challenge like that and backing out of it after just 300' might not happen and shit could happen. :eek:
See you guys at the races.
KZ

Jet Hydro
06-13-2004, 09:47 PM
This is the last thing I`m going to post on this topic.
I just spent my Sunday dragging the lake with "The Turd".
I will go back out at 10:00am to see if I found the boat.
I spotted 2 markers at about 10:00pm tonight for the divers. Wish us luck!
Do it at the races not at the lake. Shit can and will happen!

ShowDown
06-13-2004, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE] Jet Hydro said...
WTF??
:confused:
What happened? What are you talking about Jet Hydro??

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
sounds like someone needs some flotation under the bow:( truck innertubes work well and conform to the shape of the hull for future reference. It is alot easier to recover one if the bow is bobbing up and down. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.:( Important thing is you are okay:)
Omega

JET-O-VATOR
06-14-2004, 09:52 AM
I REALLY DONT HAVE ROOM TO BE SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT LAKE RACING OR TRACK RACING OR WHICH IS SAFER BUT COME ON GUYS LEAVE BLOWN ALKY ALONE IF HE WANTS TO RUN A BUCK 50 ON OPEN WATERS LET HIM.. ACCTUALLY I THINK YOU GUYS HAVE NO SAY IN THE MATTER, IF HES GUNNA DO IT HES GUNNA DO IT SO STAY OUT OF HIS WAY BECAUSE IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE HE HAS A LOT MORE WHEEL TIME THAN MOST OF YOU... I PERSONALLY WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM RUN A 150 ON A LAKE.. AND AS FOR POSTING A GRUDGE MATCH FOR SOMEONE ELSE, THATS HIGH SCHOOL BULLSHIT RIGHT THERE... IM ALL FOR BLOWNALKY
GO KICK SOME A$$

bp
06-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
have no idea what happened, but hope everything is ok and you find whatever it is you're looking for:(

Jetboatguru
06-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Jetovater,
I think you should pull your head out your butt and leave it alone. This thread has already been there and done that. Thanks for your opinion though. We have concluded that we support him we just want him to be safe and give himself every possible chance to be safe.

1tricky1
06-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Jetovater,
I think you should pull your head out your butt and leave it alone.
JBG, you need to quit beatin' around the bush and tell him what you really think:D

JET-O-VATOR
06-15-2004, 07:22 AM
HEY BUD I WAS JUST VOICING MY OPPINION YOU DONT GOTTA BE A D!CK ABOUT IT.

MAXIMUS
06-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by JET-O-VATOR
He's not being a "DICK"... he is being a "Guru"!!! Know the difference! Final word here is Safety first & formost! You can't have fun in a wheel chair or dead...:frown:

MAXIMUS
06-15-2004, 03:25 PM
I think what has everybody in a bunch here is the idea of a "lake" boat with a 2000 hp motor & a wing! There are a lot of sensitive issues here that need to be taken very seriously. That is a potentially harmful piece of equipment. Even under a controlled enviorment that boat is waiting for a mistake to be made & the results would be not good at all. Tony & all the other people in the know I think your opinions are worth there weight in gold! Blow alky that is a really bitchen piece & will run good. Just use the most important tool given to us!!! (well most of us!:rolleyes: excluding Kim & the waka community!:D ) THINK!!!! The after part is too late!:) Once again that is a stout piece amigo... enjoy!:)

Jet Hydro
06-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ShowDown
[QUOTE] Jet Hydro said...
WTF??
:confused:
What happened? What are you talking about Jet Hydro??
We lost a boat Saturday, for whatever reason it sank in about 30ft.Wont know why until we find it and get it back on the trailer. We had it marked for the divers but some ass hole took our markers before the divers got there. We started our search over yesterday with no luck. Going back out tonight to see if our luck has changed. "The turd" now has Single Beam Sonar so maybe our luck will change. Noone was hurt as everyone was picked up. Just to let you know "A Big Block Boat" can sink in less than 5.0sec. Could have been a real bad deal if just one person got hung up.
I now have a hole new outlook on lake racing!!

ShowDown
06-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear about that Jet Hydro. I am glad everyone is okat though.

Jordy
06-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JET-O-VATOR
Cool, now wasn't someone saying something in the last 7 pages about the cheerleader's on the sidelines with the "Rah, rah, rah, run for 150"????
Where is Jim Anderson as I think his flat is faster than that... :rolleyes:
Bottom line, for those who missed it, if you really want to run that fast try and do it under controlled condtions, rather than in open water, on lawn chairs with no support, as we've all seen the results and we'd prefer not to see them again.

BigBlockOldsJet
06-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Wow... all I asked was if anyone saw this boat run... I was curious to see how it ran... I get everything else exept for what I was originally asking as far as responses... with over 130 replies and over 4200 views... I guess nobody except for 1 (Squirt) has actually seen it run.

LVjetboy
06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Threads go where those who post have interest. Maybe few who've read this have actually seen it run? If so and others reading don't post from interest, then your thread'd have few replies and be dead a long time ago. Keeping on track's cool, but be I say be happy with others interested enough to post and keep the topic active.
jer

blownalky557
06-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by BigBlockOldsJet
Are you bringing this boat to CFW on Father's day?
To answer your question, no. Currently the Pro Mag 20 is at MSD getting inspected and there are a couple of other issues that still need attention.

Kurtis500
06-16-2004, 11:22 PM
I dont surf in here very much but read up on this thread. Thought I would share a little story about lake racing with you guys thinking about it. On Labor Day 2000 I was watching the sunset drags at Apache Lake Arizona, were I go each holiday. Its a tradition, like most other places, to race at night when the water is calm but the sun isn't quite down. A few guys showed with some stout peices for the impromtu race. Of course, so did the sheriff, knowing this is a consistant thing. Just when everyone thought the Sheriff had 'ruined it' for everyone they lit up thier code 3's and tore off to a call at the other end of the lake(15 miles or so) So everyone fired up and went at it. Everyone had a vest on and that was it. I was tied off with some buddies videotaping the guys running around. Just as two jets squared off I shut the video camera off, set it down, and looked up. At no more than 60 mph a CP jet kicked the tail up, dropped the nose, kicked back on the other side of the tail, hoped up and stuffed the nose. Like taking a wet doll by the leg and throwing it with your hand through the air, the driver made a series of akward flips just above the water. All RIGHT in front of us. As the event was sinking in, my friend yelled at me to jump in his boat knowing I'm a fireman of 13 years and have seen plenty of trauma. I did and he dumped me off within feet of the guy in the water. At the time a boat had backed up and a couple of guys in the back of a boat where trying to lift him in by the life vest. I swam right up to his face and saw it was turning blue. Probably a minute had transpired since the accident at this time. What had happened was obvious. To spare you the events that transpired afterwards and how we got to where we needed to be(some here may have been close to him, his friends or family), we did CPR on him for 45 minutes before ALS intervention at the Sheriff's station. As a side note, with 45 minutes of CPR on a pulseless patient we were able to get a femoral pulse 5 seperate times after cardiac drugs were administered..Always do CPR and do it properly! Once the helicopter arrived and he was flown out I had a chance to reflect. I had known, and stated immediatly after we got him aboard a boat at the accident scene, that he had broken his neck. I was unfortunatly right on, both C1 and C2 were fatally fractured as the x-rays from Scottsdale Osborn later showed. To make this a little more impacting, the man was a champion drag boat driver and raced with IHBA, SWDBA and I believe the NJBA too. He was no beginer, and new what he was doing. A helmet would not have helped him in this case in my opinion, as a helmet doesn't save every head trauma, and actually adds weight to the head placing a strain on the neck in some crash scenarios.
My point is this. If you dont have ALL the safety equipment on PROPERLY, you dont have a prepared rescue boat, and certainly dont know what your boat is going to do you stand a chance of the unknown. And remember, just cause you get killed or injured doesn't mean you were the only person to experience the trauma of an event. His fiance, friends and family, along with all of those that watched will have the memory of seeing his traumatic death.
I dont mean to step on anyones toes or rehash something, but the consequences of taking chances can be permanent.
Anyways, good luck to you and be safe.

JEThro
06-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BigBlockOldsJet
I came accross this thread, has anyone seen this jet run? It looks to be done quite well.
blown alcohol jet (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47618)
BigBlockOldsJet, This might make you happy as I have seen BlownAlkys boat ON the water numerous times. Notice I said On instead of RUN. It seems to me that when the word RUN is used in a sentence,a lot of people assume it means balls out,full throttle.
I was following this thread from the beginning up to the 3rd page then stopped due to leaving town for a while. I came back to it tonight and after reading the last 3 pages I figured I'd throw in my oppinions.
First off,Bill is no slouch when it comes to safety. Period. Some of you might object to the idea of him using a lake for test and tune sessions but that is what he has been doing. He is not out there to impress anybody. He is not out there trying to see how fast his boat will go. He is out there trying to get his boat set up to the point where he is happy with the way it luanches. I'm sure that when he feels that he is "one" with his boat,he will then step up a notch and hit the track.
Bill is a very patient, inteligent, and disiplined person. I'm sure that a lot of that came from being in the Marine Corps. He has a goal in his sights and thats his goal alone that he is in no hurry to reach. He also knows that you need to know how to crawl before you walk and know how to walk before you run.
I'll bet a bunch of you didn't know that he took his boat down to one of the sanctioned events recently to have it teched. He has a long way to go before he hits the ropes yet he wanted to make sure his boat would pass inspection ahead of time.
As for what BP brought up about Bills "associates" and the comments that they made, I have only one comment as I was there that day. "Associates" and "Spectators" are two different things. I've rambled enough.
Bill, Just remember these words-
"What Are You Looking At?"