PDA

View Full Version : 525SC too "troublesome"

RayB
08-13-2000, 04:51 PM
I am looking at a used 1999 380 Powerquest boat with twin 525SC's I really like the idea of having a "Blown" boat for all the obvious reasons. But I have talked to a few dealers trying to get some "accurate" information and this is what they say:
Finicky
troublesome
floods easily
Not realistic as casual boat.
Uses 93 octaine gas - hard to find.
I think they are trying to sell me what they have available (Obviously) But this will be my first "power boat" and I don't want to make a mistake. Last time I bought a boat (1993) it was severely underpowered for my liking.
My usage will be in an inland lake in Michigan and in the great lakes. I may attempt a poker run or two.
I am very mechanical and electrically inclinded so maintenence won't be a problem.
My greatest fear is to be stranded and cannot get the thing to run.
I think I have 3 choices:
1) buy the boat and see what happens.
2) buy a slower boat with 502'MPI's
3) Wait till next year and see if I can get one with HP502EFI's in it used.
Any help or experiences will be appreciated.
Ray
I am in Michigan and the boat I am concidering is in Oklahoma, and I will have to go see it personally.

Eric Eggler
08-13-2000, 05:45 PM
Do not buy a "525SC" or any other boat with a supercharger on it for just recreation.
The words TEMPRAMENTAL is putting it mildly. Bitchy is more accurate.
On the Great Lakes (I run on Lake Ontario) the temperature/barometer swings from day to day and tuning the boat for every use is just not practical. A buddie had a 42' Motion cat with a couple of 525sc's in it. 110+ mph is fast but he had to do a couple of hours of work for a few hours of play.
I can empathize with the idea of a "blower" but I believe that you would be better served with the EFI motors.

ace
08-17-2000, 12:53 PM
Once a blower motor is ste up right it will be the best thing you ever done. With a good set of "blower" carbs the motors won't load up or run rich or lean.You can't beat a good running blower motor.

RayB
08-25-2000, 04:13 AM
Well it looks as if I will purchase a "Blown" boat. I put an offer on one and the owner accepted it. The deal all depends on a sea trial I have scheduled for This Saturday.
The boat is a 1998 powerquest 380 avenger and has 502MPI's converted to 502's with B&M 420 Mega blowers. Running 5 psi. I don't believe any other mods were done to the engine. This was a kit from Nickerson Performance in PA. The boat also has Land & sea extension boxes and Teague gears in the out drive. (Boat has 160 hrs on it total)
Is there anything I should look out for that would be an indication of problems to come? Any tips or suggestions would be helpfull.
RayB

SIGNMAN
08-29-2000, 04:46 PM
I HAVE A 525 COPY BY P.R.I. OUT OF OHIO. I BOUGHT IT USED IN A AMERICAN OFFSHORE 26 FOOT. IT WAS TWO YEARS OLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND I HAVE HADE IT TWO YEARS. I HAVE NEVER HAD A MINUTES TROUBLE WITH IT. I JUST CHANGE OIL TWICE A YEAR. WE EVEN USE IT TO SKI AND WAKE BOARD THE POWER IS AWSOME.
[This message has been edited by SIGNMAN (edited August 29, 2000).]

RayB
08-30-2000, 04:21 AM
Well I took the Powerquest on a sea trial on Saturday in Lake Huron and into the St Clair river by Port Huron. The boat seemed very solid and performed well. The engine's started right up and sounded great. I dont have any experience with this type a boat so I took it easy on the test. The blowers didn't create any real boost until about 4,000 RPM and by this time we were going almost 70 MPH (in a 3-4' chop in the river). The boat is said to reach 83-85 but I did'nt go there. (too chicken)
I'm not sure how to post pictures on this forum but her is a link to some of my new boat.
It should be delivered today!
http://www.jlmwholesale.com/avenger.htm
[This message has been edited by RayB (edited August 30, 2000).]