PDA

View Full Version : I'm convinced

phebus
06-05-2004, 05:42 AM
I'm convinced that the HO (high output) on the 496HO refers to the amount of black soot it puts out. :mad:

Cas
06-05-2004, 06:58 AM
just get the carb dialed in :)

KACHINA KEN
06-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Cas
just get the carb dialed in :)
Thats the prob, it's EFI..... It hates to idle, I was thinking of adjusting the idle higher, I don't know if you can get an MSD setup for these either, BTW someone buy mine!
Kenny

LASERRAY
06-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by phebus
I'm convinced that the HO (high output) on the 496HO refers to the amount of black soot it puts out. :mad: I don't seem to have that problem with the 496 MAG. Then again, I have less then 10 hrs on the boat. What's the problem with the soot, do you turn into AL Jolson when you're skiing behind your boat or something?:D

Topock Junkie
06-05-2004, 08:42 AM
I had that same motor in my last boat. It would always turn the transom black. Just wait til it's good and broken in and starts spitting oil out at start up.
I have heard that they can re-program the computer to lean it out at idle.

TheEduKATor
06-05-2004, 08:49 AM
I remember some post on here a while back about a recall for that or something to that nature about reprograming to reduce the amount of soot . I have a 496 mag and despite my bros cleanings after each use, the back half of the sunddeck from the bimini back is an off white color to say the least. He's tried every cleaner in the book but it won't come clean as the rest of the deck. My manufacturer told us the soot would lessen after the break in period, but that hasn't been the case. We have 128 hours on the boat and still have a soot problem.

THATJEFFGUY
06-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey Bro....don't tell me that you actually believe what your "manufacturer" told you, you should know better than that by now !! :D That's OK, I believed him too..BIG mistake !

TheEduKATor
06-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Come on now Jeff, I didn't have much experience with boats that were controlled by so called smart craft technology so I wanted to see what the manufacturer said. The boat hasn't been back there in over a year, I've learned my lesson.

boater
06-06-2004, 06:16 PM
I was told that running anything higher than 87 octaine would produce a lot of soot with the ho. Mine ran pretty clean. A friend of mine was so bad it stained his engine hatch and had to replace the material. He found out that mrcury installed the wrong chip in his ecm after replacing it it ran much cleaner.

plaster dave
06-06-2004, 06:27 PM
TheEduKATor
have you tried crud cutter yeat it works great for me its @ home depot.