PDA

View Full Version : Diesels in cars again? Hell ya, sign me up.

bigq
06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Article on the auto makers pushing out new diesel models. Of coarse most can't be had in CA because of new emission laws. I guess that will change with the new low sulfur fuel. Check out the Mercedes, more power and faster then in the gas version and 38MPG!
Car diesel (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022218)

WaterBox
06-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Nothing personal, bigq. But everybody that own's a diesel car or p/u truck should have a hose run from the exhaust, up inside with them so they can experience what they are doing to the people next to them when there stoped at a red light. :yuk: :yuk:
EX. Diesel Doctor. :p

ryantparks
06-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Im becoming more of a diesel fan with the torque and fuel economy. I do agree with poeple who say they pollute and stink but my commuter car is a 98 turbo diesel bug that gets 46mpg (I know its a gay car but its just a commuter to L.A everyday from O.C). Also the diesel engines will do an easy 300k.

SoCalOffshore
06-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by WaterBox
Nothing personal, bigq. But everybody that own's a diesel car or p/u truck should have a hose run from the exhaust, up inside with them so they can experience what they are doing to the people next to them when there stoped at a red light. :yuk: :yuk:
Obviously you dont know about new diesel engines. They dont smell or smoke. I have a Chev 2500HD with the Dmax and no smoke or diesel smell what so ever.

riverbound
06-05-2004, 08:25 AM
My super duty smokes when I have the high H.P. setting on it. I love it when some import wants to race and they end up getting a car full of smoke:D With my truck being lifted it puts the exhaust right at window level:D But now that I have owned diesel I will never go back to gas (at least in my tow vehicle)

WaterBox
06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Obviously you dont know about new diesel engines. They dont smell or smoke. I have a Chev 2500HD with the Dmax and no smoke or diesel smell what so ever.
Yeah Right, :pig_flyi: Like we don't have any new one's here? I'm not saying they don't make a good puller, They all STINK.:yuk:

UnionJack
06-05-2004, 09:09 AM
I love smokin people out.... I just have to set my chip on the right setting

HammerDown
06-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Out here in the East diesel fuel cost more than Premiun Gas, especially in the winter months. It never use to be that way years ago but now with the diesel popularity they really rake us over the coals.:yuk:

MagicMtnDan
06-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Diesels rule and I can't wait to get one in my next truck (the Avalanche wasn't available with diesel when I bought it). In Europe the diesel cars get-up-and-go.
More and more diesels are coming here too - European manufacturers are just waiting to see if the diesels are accepted by politicians (them beotches talk out of both sides of their mouths - want more economical vehicles but don't support the new, cleaner burning diesel engines) and the public.
VW's Touareg (SUV) will be here with a turbo V-10 diesel that'll deliver some serious torque.
Now about the price of diesel fuel (further evidence of oil companies gouging all they can)...:mad:

mickeyfinn
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Diesel here is around 1.58/gallon. We had a small VW Rabbit diesel that got 53 mpg the day we bought it and was still getting that 200,000 miles later when we sold it. Little car ran pretty good too. Would not win anything in the 1/4 but for interstate driving you couldn't beat it.

mud duck
06-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I will have to say I think diesel engines make a whole lot of sense. A buddy of mine had a Ford one ton van with a diesel as his towing vehicle and it was great. Good milage and plenty of torque for pulling. I currently have a Ford one ton van with a gasoline 460 in it. I can pull anything, but the 7 to 10 mpg really sucks. I believe my next tow vehicle will have a diesel in it.
Now, where can you get a diesel in a mini van? :D

plaster dave
06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
diesels are the only way to go and the chevy dureamax already meets the new epa standards.:D :D

bilgewiper
06-05-2004, 09:34 PM
24 years ago I was regularly towing this 16' I/O with this 48 hp Diesel. My m.p.g. dropped to 40 while towing though but I could keep up with the loaded 18 wheelers running up I-80 in N. Calif. I hope they figure out how to sell them all in Ca. again cause I might just have to by one for commuting. But not to tow with like I did in the past now that speed limits are higher.http://***boat.com/image_center/data/500/824Diesel_Rabbit_and_Silverline-med.jpg

NorCal Gameshow
06-05-2004, 09:43 PM
bilgewiper, going is one thing, stopping is another... how'd that thing stop :jawdrop:

Forkin' Crazy
06-05-2004, 09:46 PM
They are running them now on used cooling oil.... You would rather smell fries?;)
Nice sig, btw.:)
How about boats? I have a friend that is putting a 5.9 Cummins in a Warlock.....This will be interesting.

bilgewiper
06-05-2004, 09:55 PM
NorCal: I never had any close calls but I was always overly concerned how much stopping distance/space was in front of my bumper. Long downhills like into Lake Clementine or Englebright I ran with the A/C on to get extra drag just so I didn't have to use the brakes. I also usually didn't have passengers and many ice chests etc. It was a real bad tow vehicle but it was all I had back then.

HOSS
06-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Well since I`m back at VW I can talk about the Touareg. Right now we are experiencing way to many problems with this over priced piece of shit. Next year will be much better. The V10 will not be offerred all over the country. Even down here.
The Golf diesel gets a legitimate 52 on the highway. The Phaeton just kicks ass. The R32 will smoke a `vette. The 1.8t is still easier to hop up over a VR6. And the TDI is probably one of the best designs out there. We never have problems with them.
Next project is a Golf. VR6 with ProCharger nets 12.89 on street radials.:D

bigq
06-06-2004, 06:38 AM
I know what you mean. I just bought my first diesel. It took a while for me to even consider one, stinky, loud, loads of smoke. My Cummins rarly smokes if at all and it smells kinda sweet to me. When I was looking at new trucks the Chevy really smelled sweet to me, didn't even smell like a diesel. I think they are making great improvements and with very low harmful emissions and great gas milage and cheaper to produce, even with the new low sulfur plants, it is a good alternative to a gasser.
BigQ<----Loves the smell of diesel.

AgentX85239
06-06-2004, 07:17 AM
What would the oil companies think if this became more popular?
http://www.greasecar.com/