PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pumps

Kim Hanson
06-05-2004, 07:17 AM
I need to know if the Red Holley fuel pump is as good as the Blue one ?.................( . )( . ).......:confused:

Sangster
06-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Yep.....They are both junk.........a good fuel pump is worth the investment...:cool:

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Yep, total junk!...

Moneypitt
06-05-2004, 07:45 AM
I think you guys are being a little hard on the holley pumps. I've ran them, both red and blue, in hot rods and boats for years without any problem that could be blamed on those pumps. Granted, with any electrical component there is always a chance of failure, but the same could be said for any elec. pump out there. I know the mechanical performance pumps have come a long way, but even they have a few horror stories in their past. Currently my son's mopar jet has a holley blue on it, well used, and working just fine feeding 2 600s on a tunnel ram, and I just recently installed 2 red pumps in my hydro, one for each tank. I have found the delivery rate as advertised, is actually a little less, but we must remember that these units depend on our voltage control to do their job. The problems associated with electric pumps may not always be the fault of the pump.............My .02..MP

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 07:48 AM
They're still junk, I had two of em and both let me down, that was enough!.:mad:

SUI-CY-COLE
06-05-2004, 07:49 AM
junk.......the blue is for more "race" and the red......if i would buy a holley id buy the volumax....but run a product engineering pump,best on the market....if you have a holley make sure you bring a hammer to hit them to get them running,

Sangster
06-05-2004, 07:51 AM
I concur GoFast.... Lots of people run them... Not in our boats.... They make good Barrel Pumps....:D :D :D

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Yep I see alot of em, and I see a lot getting towed in too!..:D :D

Sangster
06-05-2004, 08:00 AM
When used with a return system they seem to fade away...Jest hook one up to a barrel & pump some fuel out.. before it pumps 5 gals. out you can see what I'm talkin' about......:D :D :D

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Yeah and they fall apart inside too, both of mine did!.:mad:

Moneypitt
06-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Boy, I'll bet if someone sucked one d&%#, you'd call them a coc%$uck@& for the rest of their lives!!! I do hate it when an electric pump fails internally and polutes my oil and spins all my bearings.................MP

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Moneypitt
[B]Boy, I'll bet if someone sucked one d&%#, you'd call them a coc%$uck@& for the rest of their lives!!!
Probably!..:D :D :D :D

HPG545
06-05-2004, 08:40 AM
The red pump will flow 67 gph @ 5 psi with no regulator and free flow 97 gph the blue pump will flow 70 gph @ 9 psi and free flow 110 gph and requires a regulator.I've ran about 175 passes over a three year period with the blue pump with no problems and am now using the holley black pump and hav'nt had any trouble.

superdave013
06-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Kim, I would think a red might be cutting it close on your big block mopar.
The problem with those pumps in marine use is moisture gets in them and rusts them when they are sitting. Then the vanes get stuck and no pumpy pumpy. I had 2 blue's in my cruiser and I had to smack 'em a few times and take them apart a few time.
I'm going with a clay smith mech. pump with a malory elect in parallel as a just in case. You'll be fine with one pump but I'ed try to get a reliable one.
Moneypit, your are correct! If ya do it once and you're a c--k sucker for life! :yuk:

Rexone
06-05-2004, 03:41 PM
The problems I've seen and experienced with Holley pumps is they have no tolerance for moisture in the fuel which goes pretty much hand in hand with boating for most. The little steel vanes get rusty then they don't slide as designed. The problem then progresses to the rust wiping out the seal making the pump leak externally. I ran several on my Schiada ski racer with no luck getting any longevity. I know they can be rebuilt which I have done to several but that in itself is a pain in the ass and shouldn't be necessary. They work fine till they don't work which never seemed to be too long. Keep in mind this boat isn't a quarter mile boat but one that ran hours and hours during practice and marathon ski races. I changed to a Mallory and have had no more electric pump issues. I will never run another Holley electric even if they were free. But I do have a bucket of broken and leaking ones available cheap. :D
My advice Kim is to not cheap out. Buy a Mallory or Aeromotive and be done with it. Much better designed pumps.

dmontzsta
06-05-2004, 04:14 PM
I had a blue holley on when I bought the boat 7 years ago and it is still on there going strong, of course now it will probably die since I posted this.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I ran the Holley blue (marine pump) for probably 5 years before moisture snuck in and rendered it useless. I replaced it with the best mechanical pump I could find.
Why add one more possible place for failure? Run a mechanical. :cool:

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
I ran the Holley blue (marine pump) for probably 5 years before moisture snuck in and rendered it useless. I replaced it with the best mechanical pump I could find.
Right on the money Jerry!..;)

dmontzsta
06-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
What brand are you running? I may start looking in to new ones, I am sure this one doesnt have much left.
Any pics from today? :D

Kim Hanson
06-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Kim, I would think a red might be cutting it close on your big block mopar.
The problem with those pumps in marine use is moisture gets in them and rusts them when they are sitting. Then the vanes get stuck and no pumpy pumpy. I had 2 blue's in my cruiser and I had to smack 'em a few times and take them apart a few time.
I'm going with a clay smith mech. pump with a malory elect in parallel as a just in case. You'll be fine with one pump but I'ed try to get a reliable one.
Moneypit, your are correct! If ya do it once and you're a c--k sucker for life! :yuk:
It ran great all day on the " RED "............( . )( . ).....:cool: