PDA

View Full Version : Help, my balancer is stuck

dreamsicle
06-05-2004, 04:02 PM

Infomaniac
06-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Sorry Keith - If those things are not honed to size, they will not come off with dynamite to quote my friend.
A solid hub balancer tool (not steering wheel three finger deal) and heat will be my suggestion. A hard smack with a big ball peen when under tension also.

Blown 472
06-05-2004, 07:02 PM
If and when you get it off a little anti sezi on the new one will work wonders, didn't roll the key did ya?

Wet Dream
06-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Keith, I know it hasn't been on there long at all, so like mentioned above, when you have a lot of tension on the puller, smack it. It might just need a little persuasion.

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 07:38 PM
I had a similar problem with a counterweight hub that wouldn't cooperate because of an interference fit issue and the person never put anti sieze on it. What I did was (BTW this takes time) I popped the pan and put dry ice on the front of the crank as close as I could get to the front and let it sit for a few hours, then I warmed up the hub slightly and bingo it came off, not easy but it didn't fk up the puller!...

Infomaniac
06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by dreamsicle
Do you think I could unbolt the outside ring of the balancer and split the hub, maybe with a cut off wheel on a grinder without hurting my crank? I tried heating it and I was using a Matco balancer puller. I rolled the threads on the first puller and broke the bolt on the second puller. I didn't try hitting it with a hammer though. Thanks for any help...Keith
If all of the above suggestions do not work.
You can split (disassemble) the balancer and use your cut off wheel. I would cut it at the key so if you do go too deep, a new key is all it will take to fix it. Other than a new balancer. :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
06-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
If all of the above suggestions do not work.
You can split (disassemble) the balancer and use your cut off wheel. I would cut it at the key so if you do go too deep, a new key is all it will take to fix it. Other than a new balancer. :rolleyes:
Definitly on the key, be a pisser to cut into the crank!..:mad:

superdave013
06-05-2004, 10:30 PM
did you try an impact wrench on the puller?
I was in the same boat once. Was breaking sockets and pullers. Then I got out my cheapo impact and it walked that sucka right off. At least try it before you smack it.

Kurtis500
06-05-2004, 10:46 PM
I broke 2 pullers on a dampner once. I got a Snap-On for the third try and it pulled it without breaking. The cheap junk at the local auto or tool store aren't that great.
I always use the impact now.

Rexone
06-05-2004, 11:20 PM
There's a reason some pullers cost many times as much as others. :)

Dave C
06-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Did a good "smack" work under tension? or did you use an impact?