PDA

View Full Version : blower question

flattie
03-25-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm new to this blower thing I bought a 6-71 mooneyham. what lubricates the gears inside? I just put the drive on the blower & getting ready to put the blower on the engine.

ratman
03-25-2002, 08:54 PM
GEAR OIL 80/90W

Infomaniac
03-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Not much of it either. Should be 2 plugs on the front cover. Top plug fill hole and bottom hole for the correct level. Do not use synthetic unless the Mooneyham says the seals are compatible

hulshot
03-27-2002, 06:47 PM
Make sure you have a breather or vent on the top, most put a pressure releif valve in it.

US1Fountain
03-29-2002, 06:31 PM
I have a 250 blower that is supposed to have a hole in the top fill cap according to the manual. But it sprays a mist of oil out the hole when into the boost. I have since just used a solid plug for the last 3 yrs. I thought maybe the rotor shaft seals were bad and was getting some pressurization in the gear housing. I talked to The Blower Shop last week and was told that B&M/Holley now say to use a solid plug as the seals are a single lip seal. So they prevent oil from leaking out, but don't stop the pressurization. Blower Shop said just to change blower oil each year. Anyone else with this same condition?
[This message has been edited by US1Fountain (edited March 29, 2002).]

eliminator777
04-07-2002, 01:00 AM
Having run a Blower for over 30 years on every thing from a sbc to fuel hemi's don't use any thing except a very good 2stroke oil in front of blower. any one that races will tell you if the front seals start to leak the motor will DENONATE with either gear oil or motor oil call mooneyhams they'll tell youI use torco purple 2 stroke oil.